Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Anybody interested in a hard mode Gregtech Minecraft Server  (Read 7498 times)

bcg17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ive been hosting a Minecraft server for a few friends and I wanted to open it to the community, it's running the Infitech 2 modpack on the recommended version. Infitech 2 is a hard mode Gregtech pack on the FTB launcher.

Heres some info about the server:
CPU: Intel® Xeon® Processor 2.93 GHz (4 cores)
Ram: 8GB
Connection: 1G uplink
Mob Greifing: On
Difficulty: Hard

Rules:
Dont be a dick.
Stealing and Griefing are not allowed (Don't forget to use Mytown).
Pvp is not enabled.
Staff have the final say.
Swearing is fine but use of racist, homophobic, or just plain prejudice words is not allowed.
Please speak English in public chat.
Any questions of the rules are to be taken up with server staff.

IP: 84.31.221.219:25566
FTB Launcher Pack Code: 17infitech
TS3 IP: ts3.vaneerdhosting.com

And that's basically it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:48:31 am by bcg17 »

bcg17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody interested in a hard mode Gregtech Minecraft Server
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 03:57:34 pm »

Yea the tools are nerfed but it may have a high initial cost but after making your first hammer/file you don't have to make another for a while.

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 05:37:52 pm »

These Guys

There's yer hardmode.  8)

I could be tempted, I have two of my own servers; one with my own custom GT hardmode pack and another soon to be running the 1.9 snapshots but, they don't have active populations and remain up in legacy support for existing members only. So, the idea a new world with fresh faces is appealing.

I'd actually be into Terrafirmacraft, if that might be hosted instead.
Yeah, Terrafirmacraft is more interesting in my opinion.

Ya know, I was considering throwing TFC up on my modded server but, I didn't feel compelled to do the prerequisite cat-herding that is rounding up a group to play. if more are interested, I can do this and create my own thread, ofc. ;p
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 06:25:06 pm by evilnancyreagan »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 05:51:16 pm »

I'd actually be into Terrafirmacraft, if that might be hosted instead.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 06:43:59 pm »

I liked a particular version of TFC that I played a long while ago, hosting a small server on my own machine for a few friends and myself, but it got to a point of "where's the endgame?" After a certain point, you just end getting marginally better tools after each new type of steel, and then there's not a whole lot to do after that point.

Gregtech, though made by a madman whose main dev cycle includes "take my ball and play in my own court" every other iteration, has more things to strive for in terms of machinery and advancements and crazy things you can do with wiring/piping/storage systems/etc.

Both of them have a very large time investment vs reward factor, at the very least.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 06:56:41 pm »

Apparently an event that is happening/happens sometimes, is veteran TFC players agree to play nice for one week, and at the end of the week they fight with whatever gear they managed to get together.  For less organized servers we could say closer to a month...

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 07:00:18 pm »

I liked a particular version of TFC that I played a long while ago, hosting a small server on my own machine for a few friends and myself, but it got to a point of "where's the endgame?" After a certain point, you just end getting marginally better tools after each new type of steel, and then there's not a whole lot to do after that point.

Gregtech, though made by a madman whose main dev cycle includes "take my ball and play in my own court" every other iteration, has more things to strive for in terms of machinery and advancements and crazy things you can do with wiring/piping/storage systems/etc.

Both of them have a very large time investment vs reward factor, at the very least.

That's what I tried to do with my mod pack that I made; combines the early, pre-industrial advancement of TFC with the end-game objectives of GT. It had teeth, to say the least.

I would certainly like to shake the hand of anyone who doesn't immediately throw themselves to ground, curl into a ball and groan, "itttttt's tooooo grinnnndddddy" at the mere mention of GT and actually give props to to Ole Gragg. Say what you will about him but, his vision of design will not be compromised and I respect that.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 02:09:31 am »

I would certainly like to shake the hand of anyone who doesn't immediately throw themselves to ground, curl into a ball and groan, "itttttt's tooooo grinnnndddddy" at the mere mention of GT and actually give props to to Ole Gragg. Say what you will about him but, his vision of design will not be compromised and I respect that.

I can honestly say I sort of like it. For me, at least, the most interesting portion of the game is learning how it works and advancing along the tech tree, making progress of some sort over time. I really hope that FTB Resurrection does end up getting updated, as 1.0.1 is majorly laggy on servers. His concepts of playing nice with other needs some work, though.

From what I recall, he got some form of routine added into Forge, and a few months later ended up using it in such a way that if other mods didn't conform to exactly the way he did it, they crashed continuously. Some modders are a bit too stuck up for their own good, but I can't argue with the results. This is just one such example that I know of, anyway.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 02:46:34 am »

You respect greg for being incredibly stubborn?

His "design" is literally just adding more grind to the worst part of minecraft. I once wanted to craft a jetpack. (not gregtech but rather related). I had to make each lower tier of jetpack first, with the result of me standing at my crafting table and running to my chests for literally an hour. Things really shouldn't be super ass to make. Thaumcraft implements progression in a much more fun way. Not only do you need to research things, but what you can create is also somewhat limited by your wand. Alchemy/infusion uses essentia, and it's fun to figure out how to get what you need.
Spending an hour clicking r in NEI isn't. IC2 used to be good, and I respect it as the mod that started it all, but it's been surpassed in functionality, fun and UI by many other tech mods.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

bcg17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 07:19:56 am »

*snip*

Yea I'm waiting on tfc2 before I play it again that's why I've taken up gregtech for now.

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 09:59:19 am »

itttttt's tooooo grinnnndddddy

See you say, "stubborn" and I say, "principled". You say, "grind" and I say, "progression that requires using your brain".

Toh-may-toh toh-mah-toh. Poh-tay-toh poh-tah-toh.

It's really is a moot argument, the point is there are countless different mods and gamemodes for every type of play-style. However, I am personally tired of having defend those of us who enjoying investing more time and thought into our game. If you don't like GregTech, that's fine, it's not made for you. Stop moaning and play the mods you do enjoy.

Sheeesh!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 02:33:12 am »

Is it really necessary to be that rude? You're painting me as some casual scrub while you yourself provide no arguments. I just thought people on this forum would be able to recognize shitty game design, but apparently not!
I do not have to engage my brain while crafting things in Minecraft. The only thing I can think of is that more complex recipes make automation harder, but IC2 is poorly equipped for that unless you install buildcraft or something.

Gregtech is literally just pointless grind.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 02:54:26 am »

Wasn't Greg the one who "fixed" the infinite water "quirk"?

See, that pretty much sums up gregtech.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 06:59:23 am »

Play Beyond Reality... Over 400 bronze for a Bronze Blast Furnace that makes 1 steel every 5 minutes and you need to craft all the electrical components to make a machine such as wire, nand chips, tools such as files and hammers, etc.

Everything else is... As heavy would say... Baby mode for babies.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

bcg17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 07:49:25 am »

Gregtech is literally just pointless grind.

I agree the recipes can be a pain but Gregtech adds tons of content and a specific purpose to my playthroughs. When playing kitchen sink packs I tend to get bored since I quickly run out to things to do. With Gregtech I can ensure my play through lasts a while and throughout it I have one major goal which is to make a tier 3 fusion reactor. I definitely see your point with the obnoxious recipes, though I'm not sure how you could make them less crafting intensive while still making them a similar material cost and making them still make sense.
Pages: [1] 2 3