Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Delightfully Challenging Start  (Read 4244 times)

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Delightfully Challenging Start
« on: July 28, 2015, 09:38:29 pm »

I'm a big lover of fun, so I tend to end up with a lot of embarks that go poorly provide hours of entertainment.

This latest one took me ~6 tries to not have most or all of my dwarves slaughtered taking dirt naps, so I wanted to share this lovely embark save with all of you.

Download link:
http://www.megafileupload.com/942c/region3_tough_jungle_embark.7z
The silver is responsible for this How?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: A Delightfully Challenging Start
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 11:48:58 am »

how about startinf a succesion fort on that map?with planty of re-re-re-reclaims?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 10:10:35 pm »

I'd be in
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 04:32:29 am »

if you dont mind me, i have started a succesion fort based on this map herehttp://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152329.0
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 06:59:53 pm »

I tried it. My first attempt I thought, "This isn't too hard, a little chaotic, but not hard." Then a giant bat corpse picked up a battle axe...

Four tries later and finally 5 dwarves survived to the next spring.  No migrants have made it to the fort alive and I only recently made it possible for carvans to arrive. Fun stuff.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 04:20:35 pm »

I tried it. My first attempt I thought, "This isn't too hard, a little chaotic, but not hard." Then a giant bat corpse picked up a battle axe...

Four tries later and finally 5 dwarves survived to the next spring.  No migrants have made it to the fort alive and I only recently made it possible for carvans to arrive. Fun stuff.

:D :D :D

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 05:31:44 pm »

Update time! The spring wave of migrants were all slaughtered, but the summer wave mostly survived. Of course, they only survived because the zombies were literally biting the migrant's pets face off.

Oh and the elves died, no loss there.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 08:49:52 pm »

what mod is this.. or did you just custom profession name everyone in the save?
edit: yep you did.  I like it
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 02:03:03 am »

I'd like to try it on the succession fort thread, but I am appalled at your embark.
No anvil, and no axe to start with?  I got away from the beasties just fine, but I locked myself underground with only two logs after wasting time before realizing I had no axe.  I decided I'd forge one myself, so I dug to the magma sea and NO ANVIL.
Difficult embarks are nice, but this is a little maddening, since all my dwarves are alive and healthy without an anvil.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 02:05:35 pm »

How did you get this many cave creatures on the map at once? And why was there a second group of dwarves there?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 02:22:33 pm »

How did you get this many cave creatures on the map at once? And why was there a second group of dwarves there?
Because you've come to the wrong neighborhood, motherfucker.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 07:34:28 pm »

what mod is this.. or did you just custom profession name everyone in the save?
edit: yep you did.  I like it

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

I'd like to try it on the succession fort thread, but I am appalled at your embark.
No anvil, and no axe to start with?  I got away from the beasties just fine, but I locked myself underground with only two logs after wasting time before realizing I had no axe.  I decided I'd forge one myself, so I dug to the magma sea and NO ANVIL.
Difficult embarks are nice, but this is a little maddening, since all my dwarves are alive and healthy without an anvil.

I don't think you're quite as prepared for !FUN! as I am.
I ran into the same issue, though. You can carpentry up a training axe if you end up with a log (on my one successful go on this embark, I stupidly used up all of my logs before remembering that I couldn't get back to my logs), so that's an option for you. I tried to create logs by caving in trees, but that doesn't work, apparently. (they just float on top of nothing, the bastards)

Making sure a caravan can actually make it to a trade depot is the real challenge here. But as long as one caravan shows up, you're pretty guaranteed to find an anvil in their slaughtered remains well-considered goods drop-off.

Because you've come to the wrong neighborhood, motherfucker.

Hahahahahahaahahah yes.

This was a Cave embark that ended up generating with zero layers (despite my rather large MIN_CAVE_SIZE), so it just dumps all of the cave denizens on the surface when that happens. Fun ensues.

As to the second group of dwarves, as I posted about elsewhere, I've had dwarves from an embark that I've abandoned show up in a cave inside the same Local area of the map. As I've started doing test embarks to find out the evil weather of a biome, this has happened to me ~66% of the time. The extra dwarves rarely survive an entire season, though.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 03:26:46 am »

Damn it. I thought I'd done it: 7 live dwarves and the *entire wagon* completely sealed off from the outside world in a rock-salt bunker (I reckon the trick is to cut down that one tree whose branches hang over the wagon: last time I left it there a troglodyte corpse climbed through the branches).

All I had to do was build one more wall to seal up the gap in the roof. The dwarf was in the middle of constructing it and I was breathing a sigh of relief.

Next thing I know, my little white bunker goes red. A troll zombie. A goddamn troll zombie. I didn't even think trolls could climb.

(edit) wait a second, you can build floors over the top of branches? Wow, okay. That makes things loads easier.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:52:22 am by QuQuasar »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 04:01:07 am »

Wow this place is a special kind of fuck you to everything that wants to live.

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 10:41:18 am »

Next thing I know, my little white bunker goes red. A troll zombie. A goddamn troll zombie. I didn't even think trolls could climb.

(edit) wait a second, you can build floors over the top of branches? Wow, okay. That makes things loads easier.

Climbing added loads of fun to the game.

I thought trying to build over branches and such crashed the game. It's done that to me, at least.
Pages: [1] 2