Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31

Author Topic: Guns, Cash, and Glory: A Random-Generated Scifi Rampage [Mission II!]  (Read 52635 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Speaks
Speaks gave a gesture that could best be describe as a shrug.  "While not technically correct, as our ancestry shares nothing in common with your Earth lizards and reptiles, I can appreciate the visual similarity.  Less open-minded members of our society may take offense, but the descriptor's familiarity makes it expedient.  It is of no consequence or offense to me.  Now, Lux is it?  What can we get at this Fabricator establishment?"

At Speaks' question, a cheery electronic voice buzzes in from everywhere around the group, and a flickering orange light materializes beside him. 'Hi, guys! I'm Lux, yes, I'm the ship! I'm so happy to meet you all. I can tell you have a much better attitude to this than the rest group. I spent just ages cleaning after them...'

The light wooshes over in the direction of the Fabricator wall. 'The Fabricator can get you anything you want! It can replicate any weapon, drug, garment, vehicle and all these different things found through the galaxy! Just tell it what you want over at the console there and it'll pop it out for you in a jiffy! Um, although, there's been some... technical problems with it. A lot of technical problems. Really, you'd better scoot over and see for yourself, trooper!'

Evil Roy
Evil Roy then immediately slides, or perhaps floats to the Fabricator and with the sound of grinding stone inserts a token in an appropriate-looking spot, and observing what exactly might happen. The top priority, as it always tends to be in life, is to obtain some form of deathtube.

Roy, rather more proactively, moves over to the console and pops a Token into what seems to be the most likely place for it. The lights on the console immediately power up. There are a number of buttons on the console with words inscribed over them - but, as he quickly realizes, he can't read any of them because someone's planted down signs with 'OUT OF ORDER' on them on every single button.

Well, everything but one. Peering closer, it seems to say... 'Surprise me!'? He gives it a tentative prod, and the screen is taken over by a list of options;

Code: [Select]
1. WEAPON
2. PROTECTION
3. WEARABLE
4. DRUG
5. OTHER EQUIPMENT
6. OTHER CONSUMABLE

The console awaits a command.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Evil Roy needs not be prompted twice.

WEAPON. That's one token. Regard resultant object.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Images of striking poses, cowering insectoid foes and scantily-clad space princes run through London's mind as Tullion's fervorous speech goes on. She hardly notices the warning signs and instead gets caught up in the enthusiasm. While her fellow heroes are very strange and non-human, she does her best to not stare and figures she'll get used to them eventually.

London gets in line behind the greenish-purple Evil Roy. Once there's an opening, she puts in her tokens for a badass gun, some cool-looking armour and some awesome drugs. Ideally, at least; plenty of her childhood heroes had some pretty silly guns and costumes, but a girl can hope.

((Thanks for picking me, Hellhound. This is going to be awesome.))

EDIT:
((Did you want to include a link to Fniff's generator somewhere so that people can see what it is? People might be curious.))
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:45:23 pm by Ruludos »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

((It's been edited into the OP...))
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile

"Ah, I see.  Technology; that ever-troublesome friend and foe.  Following in the footsteps of Mister Roy, I do believe I see where this is going.  Onward, then!"

Speaks inserts a token twice, selecting first "Weapon" then "Protection."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile

Crit beeps, and then he boops, then his screen flickers and shows a duck. Then he goes to wait in line for the machine. When my turn comes exchange 3 tokens for 3 miscellaneous equipments.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:33:34 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

"Lux! TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!" Vissilik cackles at the ceiling, shaking one fist.

He waits to see what the others acquire before spending his own tokens, but he does begin inspecting the cloning whatsits.

Disregard items, harass AI and tamper with sensitive equipment.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Evil Roy
Evil Roy needs not be prompted twice.

WEAPON. That's one token. Regard resultant object.

Evil Roy makes his choice. There's a 'plop' sound from the Token receptable and the machine begins to move. [4 - Crossbow] It churns. [2 - Two Effects] It clatters. [Sadistic] Something begins to take shape in the air above Roy, something dark and cruel. [Mind-Altering] Said something finally materializes into existence with a burst of blinding light and a crack of displaced air - for a second, Evil Roy smells something humid and earthy, perhaps some alien jungle.

He sees he is holding a black, mechanized crossbow adorned with rather unnecesary-looking spikes and barbs. The bolt already in the mechanism glows with an ominous red light. Text begins to crawl across the screens above.

He takes the weapon in his appendages. Perhaps not a deathtube, but innnteresting.

---
Spoiler: Evil Roy (click to show/hide)

London Tanner
London gets in line behind the greenish-purple Evil Roy. Once there's an opening, she puts in her tokens for a badass gun, some cool-looking armour and some awesome drugs. Ideally, at least; plenty of her childhood heroes had some pretty silly guns and costumes, but a girl can hope.

While Evil Roy is checking out his new toy, London slips to the console and jams in all three of her Tokens. She presses 'Weapon' first, and the machine obediently rolls into action. [20 - Axe] The crystal prism goes wild with light. [1 - One Effect] The crackle of the materializer erupts. [Containment] Ice-cold air swirls in from somewhere unseen for a second and a heavy, two-headed battle axe plunges down from the air and nearly bisects her. It slams into the floor, and London hefts it up while reading the text on the screen.

Spoiler: Grímnir's Hold (click to show/hide)

That's... a bit alarming? She gives the heavy weapon a few practice swings and feels a deathly cold creep up from its heart. Putting it aside for a moment, London decides to try the 'Protection' option for her second Token.

The Fabricator begins its familiar rumble. [1 - One Effect] Light flashes, and [Fire] a silver shield falls to the ground. She finds a handle inside with a simple button, and looks up to read the description.

Spoiler: Kodion Thermal Shield (click to show/hide)

Ice and now fire, huh? There is a certain pleasing symmetry to it, even if it's not really the armor she hoped for. London uses her final Token next.

Heroes do drugs, so that's what she goes for. [3 - Snorted] Something begins to take shape. [2 - Not Very Addictive] Something... [4 - Withdrawal lasts 10 turns.] [3 - Effects last for 5 turns] [4 - Four Effects] Something that seems like she'd like to take. [Vindictive] [River] [Entropy] [Robotic] A packet of metal-grey powder appears in her hands. Curiously, there's no description, only a text box which tells her 'Surprise me!'-mode is on and wishes London a happy trip.

'Ooh! Careful with that one, trooper! That's weird stuff!' Lux's orange light chimes in, floating over to London.

---
Spoiler: London Tanner (click to show/hide)

Speaks
Speaks inserts a token twice, selecting first "Weapon" then "Protection."

Next on the Fabricator is Speaks, deciding to use two of his Tokens. He pokes 'Weapon' first, and [9 - Rifle] [1 - One Effect] after a whole lot of strange sounds from the depths of the enormous construction, [Teeth] there's a flash of light and something falls into his arms. It appears to be a light-weight rifle of very crude make, essentially stripped down to essentials of simple tube barrel and scrap metal stock, with the jawbone of some beast adorning the barrel and giving the whole thing a rather savage look. He looks up to see the description.

Spoiler: Tooth Gun (click to show/hide)

Putting that aside for a moment, Speaks goes for some kind of Protection. [4 - Four Effects] The Fabricator fabricates, and [Flashing] [Mechanics] [Tiny] [Mind-Altering] an utterly miniscule suit of armor drops down in front of him. He peers down at it - it seems to be made for an user the size of his fist. It appears to be a form-fitting suit of intricate machinery - moving gears and pistons dot its dull brown surface, the work of some master miniature artisan. He picks it up, bemused. Maybe he could find some kind of fairy to sell it to?

---
Spoiler: Speaks (click to show/hide)

Crit
Crit beeps, and then he boops, then his screen flickers and shows a duck. Then he goes to wait in line for the machine. When my turn comes exchange 3 tokens for 3 miscellaneous equipments.

Crit, armed with the picture of a duck, follows Speaks and inserts all their Tokens. The robot presses the 'Other Equipment' button three times and the Fabricator gets to work. [1- One Effect] [Jungle] The first item appears quickly. It appears to be a small, lidded square object that rattles slightly when he shakes it, with the picture of a sprouting seed on it. He reads the description on screen.

Spoiler: Mega Seeds (click to show/hide)

The second object takes some more time. [1 - One Effect] [Glue] It appears to be a packet of... glue? Crit supposes it might come in handy.

Spoiler: SGP Glue (click to show/hide)

The third follows in short order. [2 - Two Effects] [One Use] [Digger] A small jackhammer-like tool clatters to the floor. The pointy end glows with energy.

Crit gathers their new equipment, the bot's Tokens used up.

Spoiler: Crit (click to show/hide)

Vissilik
"Lux! TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!" Vissilik cackles at the ceiling, shaking one fist.

He waits to see what the others acquire before spending his own tokens, but he does begin inspecting the cloning whatsits.

Disregard items, harass AI and tamper with sensitive equipment.

'Certainly, trooper! Which secret would you like to know? Oh, oh, how about where I was stolen from! Or what highly illegal thing we did last time! Ooor, maybe the code to my control console! I'd love to tell you that!'

While Lux gives her cheery reply, Vissilik scuttles over to the Replacement Tanks. [6] Divining their purpose is no trouble at all to a genius beyond his time. These are standard cloning vats, linked to the genetic ID of any invididual so they will replicate them if they should die, for whatever reason. The manual does not cover metaphysical questions of if it's still the same person.

These ones are inactive - if he could get a copy of his genetic ID, he could probably link himself to one of those. Or sabotage the systems so a signal to start replicating would never reach these tanks. They seem fairly sturdy, but with some tools, he could probably take them apart and loot them for parts, too.

Spoiler: Vissilik (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:24:01 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Evil Roy's appendages vaguely quiver at this acquisition.

Ineffably compliment the acquisitions of my fellows, then obtain another WEAPON and also a WEARABLE for my other 2 tokens. Wonder if rough equivalent of high school education is sufficient to create Reaver ammo. Could I, for instance, fill an appropriate syringe with 96% ethanol and call it a day?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:09:30 am by Harry Baldman »

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

London eyes her packet of metal shavings warily. They'd never put anything dangerous in there, right? "Do you, um, do you know what it is, Lux? There's no label," she asks, in an accent that would be described as thickly southern if such terms meant anything anymore.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

London Tanner
London eyes her packet of metal shavings warily. They'd never put anything dangerous in there, right? "Do you, um, do you know what it is, Lux? There's no label," she asks, in an accent that would be described as thickly southern if such terms meant anything anymore.

'Oh, but it's a surprise!' Lux says. 'If I told you, that'd take all the fun out of it. Hey, if I had a corporeal body, I'd probably be all over that stuff!'

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

London should make a deal with the dragon inside: she frees it, and, in exchange, it serves her.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile

Crit clicks happily to the generous machine. Then they go to follow around Vasillik.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

"WONDERFUL! What is the code to your control console, and where is this console located?!?!"

Wander over to the fabricator, dramatically insert tokens and punch in WEAPON, PROTECTION, WEARABLE.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

London should make a deal with the dragon inside: she frees it, and, in exchange, it serves her.
ATHATH, I'm saying she should free it anyway. How do we know of the dragon is actually an evil monster? Maybe at that time, everyone hated dragons for some strange reason.
((Potential bias aside, legendary smiths don't go sealing dangerous creatures inside artifacts for no reason. I'm of the opinion that destroying the thing the first chance I get is the best bet; something like a volcano or a ship's fusion reactor would be good.

As far as party dynamics, though, I'm proud that the honorable role of beefy meatshield has fallen upon my shoulders. Unless Vissilik gets something nasty I'll be the hardest-hitting member of the team.

Not sure what you're thinking, NAV, but beyond some potential utility you won't be able to do much in a fight right now.))

'Oh, but it's a surprise!' Lux says. 'If I told you, that'd take all the fun out of it. Hey, if I had a corporeal body, I'd probably be all over that stuff!'
Ah, London knows where this is going. She'll stick it in her back pocket and forget about it until her most desperate hour of need, when it will be the one thing she needs to save herself/the day.

She sticks it in her back pocket and decides that a trial run is needed before her hour of true need rolls around. "I think I got it. Thanks for the help, Lux."

Her attention shifts back to the weapon that had been replicated for her. The axe dwarfs any other tool she has as a reference; the wood axe behind her family's shed seems like a little toy in comparison. And, of course, there is the monster sealed inside...

But that's the best part! She is the latest in a long line of people to use this weapon, the last wielder of Grimnir's Hold. She is the only thing standing between the world and the return of the foul Farollwaith! Moreso than anything else here, the banners and welcoming speech and friendly AI, the axe in London's hands is proof that she's destined to become a hero.

London straps her shield to her arm, hefts her battleaxe and makes her way to the Teleporter Deck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31