Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 31

Author Topic: Guns, Cash, and Glory: A Random-Generated Scifi Rampage [Mission II!]  (Read 52650 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guns, Cash, and Glory: A Random-Generated Scifi Rampage [Mission: Sky Nazis!]
« Reply #300 on: December 05, 2015, 04:11:35 pm »

Speaks
"A rare opportunity.  It would be unbecoming of me to bypass it.

Sneak on into the engine room.

[6] Speaks continues to prove his sneaking merits and moves soundlessly across the floor. The Nazis are left wholly ignorant of his passing. He ghosts along towards the source of the hot air and rumbling noise.

The doorway leads to a level overlooking a high, cavernous hall dominated by an immense rattling construction of steel and machinery, periodically emitting hot steam from vents across its length. Massive ports at the end of the chamber lead to even more massive thrusters on the outside of the ship, a sort of booming coming constantly from their depths. They radiate heat to an uncomfortable degree - many of the crew he spots moving about the room are wearing some kind of protective suits and masks.

He looks around. His stealthy entrance has left him at a perfect vantage point to observe without being observed. [6] He's not an expert, but the steam-vents are undoubtedly part of some cooling system that keeps the engine from reaching volatile temperatures. Pipes appear to run through the floor, no doubt carrying fuel or cooling water, though they look quite sturdily armored. In the far corner of the chamber is a bunker-like control chamber, Speaks gathers. The controls might allow him to tamper with the engines without physically touching them - if that's what he wants to do with them. If nothing else, they should certainly be powerful enough to recharge his Terrorporter with!

Nazis are present in considerable numbers, but there are fewer guards than one might expect. Judging from the muffled, distant gunfire, they might be busy somewhere else - and given the barricade he sneaked past, the Nazis might just not expect anyone to get here without raising an alarm. Providence truly is smiling upon Speaks. Now just to convert that into results.

---
Spoiler: Speaks (click to show/hide)

Evil Roy
Evil Roy considers the possibilities, and elects to not go inside just yet.

Instead he tries to shoot the cackling fellow with the crossbow, then close the door and look for an alternate way in.

Perhaps prudently, Evil Roy opts for the cautious approach to this particular development. [3] He swings his Crossbow about and pulls the trigger. [Dodge:1+1=2] With the man illuminated amidst all the darkness, he's just begging to be shot. The 'Reaver' is poorly suited for such a long distance, but with luck, skill or foreordainment, Evil Roy's aim is true. The Psychos bolt whuums through the air and stabs the good doktor in the middle of his chest. [Damage:4-1=3] The Nazi scientist cries out in surprise, [Stunning:4-1=3] then screams in incapacitating, agonizing pain. Unfortunately, he manages to stay upright and after a moment, replaces his screams with low grunts instead. At least, the main's suit has been punctured, and that can only be good.

Before any retaliation comes along, Evil Roy closes the door and withdraws to a safe distance. He looks around for alternative ways in and discovers what his robotic companion did earlier - the tube the robot already crawled into, or the elevator, if he could disable the lockdown. He could try to find a third way somewhere else - certainly it would be possible to travel the outside of the airship past this obstacle, but that seems a bit drastic as options go.

---
Spoiler: Evil Roy (click to show/hide)

Erin, London and Crit
"Thad damn Nazi has some sort of demons livin' in tha' shadows! Don't get close!"

After a second, London realizes that a great karmic opportunity has arisen and tries to shoot out the far-left floodlight!
Shoot the Nazi scum. If you expend enough ammunition, you'll eventually hit something.

Past the doors, the two heroes in the lab keep on firing. [5+1=6] This time, London has no hesitation. She sees a golden opportunity and seizes it. [6-1=5] Her aim is true and the blast from her Luger slams into the far-left searchlight and blasts it to kingdom come. The light goes out as quickly as it appeared - in fact, the darkness seems to surge into its place, eliciting several cries of terror from the Nazis.

[1, 5, 2, 3] The Stormtroopers reach for their flashlights. One of them grabs his with a lightning-fast movement and then puts it over his head, pointing downwards - a rather comical sight, but no horrible death comes upon him. The others are less lucky. One, close to the edge of the light as it was, is touched by a tendril of darkness and immediately goes limp. He thrashes on the ground, eyes flailing around wildly, before the darkness sweeps him out of sight. Another manages to get his flashlight pointed at his face, only for something to go for his feet. He's down immediately, the flashlight rolling away into the dark and flickering out. The last stormtrooper is a bit too slow, but survives anyway - the darkness touches him and he goes limp, but he has the good fortune to fall at the feet of his comrade with the successful flashlight-ing. He does seem stunned, though.

The Doktor seems distracted and in pain and does nothing to aid his men. Erin sees her chance [3-1=2] but can't quite muster up the belief in herself to take the shot. Her luck is really not with her today.

The Soviets, rattled but defiant, keep up the fire as well. [5, 3+1=4, 1+1=2] Their submachineguns [Dodges:6+1+1=6/5+1+1=6] are, unfortunately, still useless in these conditions. The surviving Nazis are too distracted to return fire.

Knowing nothing of this, Crit crawls along the tube until he finds an exit. In fact, there is an intersection - one arrow pointing at 'Bridge', with the other saying 'Lab'. The robot heads for the latter and soon sees the light. He pushes open the hatch and drops out behind the unsuspecting Doktor on the upper level. The man is holding a hand to his chest and doesn't notice him appear - in front of him, by the searchlights, is a terminal with light switches for the lab.

Spoiler: Lab of the Map (click to show/hide)

---
Spoiler: Opponents (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Comrades (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: London Tanner (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Erin Strand (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Crit (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 04:32:07 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Guns, Cash, and Glory: A Random-Generated Scifi Rampage [Mission: Sky Nazis!]
« Reply #301 on: December 05, 2015, 09:02:44 pm »

Is it possible for me to join this one in the middle? As a prisoner or something?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Guns, Cash, and Glory: A Random-Generated Scifi Rampage [Mission: Sky Nazis!]
« Reply #302 on: December 05, 2015, 09:05:21 pm »

Add me to the waitlist please.

Name: What shall I call you? Linton Rayner.
Gender: Anything goes, as long as the narrative knows what to call you. I am a man.
Description (optional): Should you want to provide some description. It's a big galaxy, and you could be some kind of alien - as long as you have appendages to use weapons with. I'm just another human. I have dark hair, a light skin complection, nothing missing, and a vaguely British/Australian accent.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 05, 2015, 09:06:52 pm »

...More dakka. It's a f-ing autocannon, it can't be hard to hit something with a bullet storm.

Speaking of bullets, ammo check. If it uses ammo, anyway.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 05, 2015, 09:21:16 pm »

Auspicious indeed!  Time to sally forth in this grand opportunity!

Load Diamond Teeth; this is the place to be.  Head for the control room; favor stealth.  Look for anything that could break the ship.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 06, 2015, 05:35:53 am »

((Is it just me, or are the green circles on the map actually orange?))

Evil Roy slides into the tube, taking a turn for the Lab as well once the choice presents itself.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 06, 2015, 12:13:19 pm »

((Is it just me, or are the green circles on the map actually orange?)

Point. I blame my colorblindness, but probably I just forgot what the map actually looked like.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 06, 2015, 01:07:04 pm »

((I'd love nothing more than to wade into melee here, but I can't help but think that it would go horribly wrong in the blink of an eye. Once the lights are back on, maybe...))

With the Nazi soldiers distracted, London turns her fire back to the Doktor and lights him up with her Luger.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 06, 2015, 01:18:24 pm »

Backstab Doktor then reach for the control panel and let there be light!
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 12, 2015, 09:37:03 am »

Erin, London and Crit
...More dakka. It's a f-ing autocannon, it can't be hard to hit something with a bullet storm.

Speaking of bullets, ammo check. If it uses ammo, anyway.

With the Nazi soldiers distracted, London turns her fire back to the Doktor and lights him up with her Luger.
Backstab Doktor then reach for the control panel and let there be light!

Still strangely optimistic, Erin goes for another try at a Mnemonic barrage. [4-1=3] This time, she's got the confidence and the speed for the job. The autocannon blares and a burst of invisible energy warps out towards the good Doktor. [Dodge:3] Something certainly hits the Nazi, who staggers, [Stunning:3] dazed just as he shakes off the last of Evil Roy's pain chems. [Memory:4] That's the least of his problems, though. He begins blinking in confusion, looking around the place like he's never seen it before.

[2+1=3] London takes her chance. [Dodge:5] The Doktor cries out as bursts of plasma whoosh past over his head and stumbles back [6] [3-1=2] straight into Crit's waiting sword.

[Damage:3-1=2] Unfortunately, the sword isn't enough to pierce his protective armor. Instead, it shatters the device on his back, which probably will have no negative consequences whatsoever. Whirling around, the dazed Doktor [4-1-1=2] tries though fails to wrangle the weapon away from his assailant. [6-1-1=4] The pair of them wrestle on the upper platform, [Dodge:3] [Damage:1/2=1] the Nazi even managing to land a blow on Crit's facial monitor. [3] [Dodge:1] Crit counters with a precise thrust that cuts into the Doktor's flesh. [Damage:3*2=6-1=5]

The Doktor, bleeding and disoriented, stumbles around the platform back from the traitor robot. [1] He trips on his own feet. He falls backwards. He goes straight through the flimsy railing and plunges into the darkness below. Admittedly, it's not a long drop, but it's not the fall that kills you here... It's impossible to tell if he's dead in the darkness, though, so Crit goes to turn on the lights.

[5] The control panel is simple. He flicks on everything he can get his robotic little hands on and blessed light floods back into the room. If it seems a little faint, well, that's probably a trick of the eye.

[4] The conscious Nazi on the level below lets go of his flashlight in the newfound light and [Dodge:5+1=6] fires off an useless volley towards his foes. [6,2,5] Emboldened by the light, the Soviets surge forward with a cry of 'Uraaaaaa!' and [Dodges:1/5] finally ventilate the Nazi trooper. [Damage:3*2=6] His stunned companion is executed rather brutally without resistance.

Our heroes are left without opposition. Carefully edging forward, they find the Doktor on the floor, groaning in pain - but it appears the darkness could not get through his suit in the time he spent in it. The other victims, on the other hand, are found where they were taken, pale and lifeless, somehow drained of all energy. Shadows still creep on the edges of the lab, and everyone keeps well away from them. Some of the lights seem to... be fading. It might be best to move forward sooner rather than later.

---
Spoiler: Opponents (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Comrades (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: London Tanner (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Erin Strand (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Crit (click to show/hide)

Evil Roy
Evil Roy slides into the tube, taking a turn for the Lab as well once the choice presents itself.

Evil Roy clambers into the tube and through it to join Crit on the upper level. He seems to have missed most of the action, but at least he contributed to the Doktor's downfall. He checks out the doors out of the lab - it appears there is nothing between them and the Bridge anymore. This mission might be near its end.

---
Spoiler: Evil Roy (click to show/hide)

Speaks
Auspicious indeed!  Time to sally forth in this grand opportunity!

Load Diamond Teeth; this is the place to be.  Head for the control room; favor stealth.  Look for anything that could break the ship.

At the other end of the ship, Speaks makes his approach. [5] The master of stealth darts from shadow to shadow, patient as entropy, making his way to the control room without being spotted by a single soul. [4] Some troopers even leave the room, streaming towards the sounds of the fighting, leaving him with an even easier path to the controls. [6] He slips inside the control bunker as a crewman opens the door to leave and proceeds to take out the occupants of the room in perfect silence.

There are many controls, gauges, meters for him to look over. [4] He presses a few buttons at random and shuts down safety functions. Immediately, alarms begin blaring. Several gauges begin climbing up towards red. The clanking and whirring of the engine picks up in speed and gains a rather worrying irregular quality to it.

Hmm. It might be best to vacate the premises before something goes catastrophically wrong. On the other hand, if the crew reaches this room, they might cancel whatever Speaks just set in motion.

---
Spoiler: Speaks (click to show/hide)

---
This turn was a bit rushed and, uh, damn, that boss fight was sure easily solved. Go team! As you're unlikely to face the Shadows again unless you make some very poor decisions, I'll share some thoughts:

-The Incapacitating trait means just that - the victims were stunned and then drained slowly, meaning you could've been caught and still survived. The Doktor would have turned off your light next turn if Evil Roy hadn't stunned him, funnily enough. London's flame shield would've provided some light and a chance to resist; another tool you probably wouldn't have considered would have been Speaks' Dazzle Suit, if he'd been there - he can't wear it, sure, but it's still a whole bunch of flashing lights to drive away mysterious hungry living darkness. Evil Roy could have possibly struck the darkness with his Amplifier Sword - you'd have loved the effects of that. (You could still interrogate the Nazi Doktor or whatever - the Memory roll only blanked his short-term memory, in fact.)

-I should really have invested in something better to do the map with. It was just an incredible drain to do that just made me want to get this over with. Lessons learned!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 05:12:37 pm by Digital Hellhound »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 13, 2015, 10:09:00 am »

I'm pretty sure you already explained it somewhere, but can you give me your rolling rules and whatever (for combat or just normal stuff)?

Sure. It's vaguely explained in the OP, but as said, only vaguely.

Basic rolls for most actions are on a 1d6, standard RTD rules. 1 is a critfail, 2 is a regular failure, 3 is a half-success, 4 is a minor success, 5 is a success, 6 is an overshoot. There's nothing complicated here, just the way I like it.

Combat follows a simple system I've used for ages. First, you roll a Combat Roll to try to attack. 1-2 are failures, 3-6 successes (so you're more likely to succeed than to fail). If you fail, it can be fluffed as any variety of things. Maybe you lost your nerve and didn't take the shot. Maybe you just never got the chance in the chaos of battle. Maybe you wanted to be absolutely sure and lost the chance.

Then, assuming you managed to attack, there's a Dodge roll for the target. Various Accuracy, dodge skill, situational modifiers apply here. 1 is a critical hit, doubling the damage, 2 is a regular hit, 3 is a glancing hit, halving damage. 4-6 are misses, with no special effects. In this game, weapon damages are static, so you just take it and apply it (doubling or halving when needed). If there's armor that reduces incoming damage, you apply that after the doubling or halving.

Usually, everyone also gets to counter-attack. Whenever someone even tries to attack you, whether they succeed or not, you get a free attack attempt right back at them. This was originally worked in to speed up combat, and I don't roll for it when it doesn't make sense.

It can get rather more complicated with the wealth of weapon traits I have and cook up at each new generation, but that's the basics. I have further tables for Stunning and such, but it's also pretty simple.

Then there's the Generator rolls, of course, explained in the OP (though I have further background rolls for some generation types - if a Wearable item will be a glove, headgear, footwear, etc. etc., for example). Any specific questions?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 13, 2015, 10:48:07 am »

Sure! I looted these off smjjames' Demigod RTD way back in 2010 for my first RTD (For Science!, which actually shares quite a bit with this), so I think it's fiiiiine if you recycle them.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 13, 2015, 11:24:06 am »

In this game, there are no body parts, if that's what you mean. However, in the past I've gone with body part rolls. 1 - Head, 2 - Torso, 3 - Right Arm, 4 - Left Arm, 5 - Right Leg, 6 - Left Leg, for example. You can stretch it out if you think it should be less likely to hit the head or so.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 13, 2015, 12:13:50 pm »

Evil Roy checks for avenues of approach to the Bridge. How many are there? And do any seem objectively better than others?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 13, 2015, 02:34:33 pm »

Once more, for good measure.

A diamond tooth, shot through the biggest, flashiest, most important looking piece of equipment.  A second shot through the second-most important looking bit.

Then abscond mightily.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 31