Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Equipting tools as weapons  (Read 1186 times)

Featheredragon

• Bay Watcher
  • If someone says they are sane, then they're crazy.
    • View Profile
Equipting tools as weapons
« on: July 29, 2015, 04:49:30 pm »

I keep hearing of player using tools as weapons but I can't seem for the life of me to figure out how. Will somebody please tell me how much of an idiot I am?

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
Re: Equipting tools as weapons
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 11:44:01 pm »

Fortress Mode:
Picks can be assigned as weapons for militia along with axes.
Any miners/woodcutters carrying one will also use it if they get in a fight.

Adventurer Mode:
Anything goes as far as I'm aware, you can throw fluffy wamblers as weapons if you want.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 02:14:12 am »

Elaborating on Pirate Santa's answer:
In fortress mode the jobs of Miner, Wood Cutter, and Hunter are equipped with weapons (pick, axe, and crossbow, respectively) that are also their tools. Apart from that, you need to put your dorfs in militia squads and equip them with weapons, in which case they might use shield bashing in addition to weapons. Any dorf can use unarmed attacks (kicking, punching, biting...).
Anything beyond that is probably Adventure mode.

Thus, in this matter, you don't seem to be much of an idiot, but there is a potential in everything else ;)
[Apart from that, being ignorant and being willing to change that status is not being an idiot. Repeating the same mistakes despite having the information they're not good approaches is idiotic].

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 09:54:32 am »

You can equip your dwarves with crutches if you saw their legs off. Platinum crutches are nothing to scoff at.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 02:20:30 pm »

Notably picks are considered foreign weapons on the military screen, but you can still make them and assign them.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 08:04:37 pm »

Villagers in adventure mode carry boning knife, carving knife, and slicing knife. Those are tools.

If these tools are moved into the weapon file, dwarves can equip them in fortress mode.

I don't think npc solider will equip the knives then. Weapon of knife-user skill should be for thief only.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 09:32:07 pm »

in adventurer mode, you can also ride a minecart, which is technically a tool, and use it as weapon by ramming into your enemies

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 10:52:06 pm »

Villagers in adventure mode carry boning knife, carving knife, and slicing knife. Those are tools.

Very effective weapons to, shank a goblin five times in the face or stomach with a Boning knife and he will die.
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 11:49:34 am »

I enjoy collecting them and strapping them to my torso. In times of trouble, I'll use them as throwing weapons...
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 02:59:51 pm »

There is a conflict, though.  A tool is not considered a weapon, and will conflict with an existing uniform.  So if you try to assign your wood-cutter a uniform to wear over his clothes/when he is off duty, he'll be unable to actually cut wood.  If he has an axe already (and one assigned for his uniform), he'll actually drop it and go find another axe to use when you call him to duty.

However, if a dorf has high levels of mining skill and you tell him to pick any weapon to use, he'll often grab a pick. 

About hunters, you can't just have ammo lying around and expect them to utilize the first thing they grab.  There are actually three different ammo designations (war, training, hunting) found buried (somewhere) in the military screen.  You have to go through and enable each specific stack for each specific duty.  This is why hunting migrants always stop working- once they empty their original quiver, if you haven't specifically assigned them more ammo they'll have nothing to do.  Bone bolts have annoyingly small stack sizes (5), and are fairly weak... but they are good enough to hunt with typically.  Just don't send a single novice hunter armed with 5 bone bolts against a herd of elephants.. scratch that.  Just never let a hunter go after elephants. >.> If you want to kill those you need to send a military squad out "hunting" or use traps. 

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 07:13:53 pm »

I use hunters a lot, when I get 10 +5 ambushers I form a squad.

In the military screen you just make sure each hunter has 25 bolts so 10 hunters need 250 bolts reserved.

I do not specify bone/ wood/ metal I just leave the default bolts.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.