- 0 (0%)
End
- 0 (0%)
This!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 07, 2015, 06:46:40 am

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 66

Author Topic: // Fall of the Succession Tower: Constructivory \\  (Read 259579 times)

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile
Re: ~ The Succession Tower ~
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 10:26:26 pm »

My first time posting on Bay12Forums after a long exile of...
...Well, let's just say, don't look at my threads.

-instantly looks at your threads-
EXCUSE ME SIR I WOULD LIKE TO HEAVILY ADVISE AGAINST THAT-
okay i won't lie that thread was a mess and the one thing i will be recognized for and i don't even know if anyone who posted in there is still on Bay12 but I still got appreciation and I am happy for it ;;
sadly I doubt i'll get to do that ever again because I bet a mod would kick my ass but... maybe tie that whole ordeal in during my turn... yes, it'll provide the entertainment for both dwarves who enjoy well-written stories and dwarves who want pure insanity...
regardless if I did I might change up my... language. i've actually did say a few things that made me blush from embarassment, mostly the "bigoted language" good god what the hell was I doing in that thread three years is a lot

After some careful consideration, I have just decided to remove rule 3 entirely.  While I do believe that it introduces an element of risk and danger to our game, the rule ends up unnescessarily complicating several things such as pump stacks, workshop management, adding new farms and such.
We can probably retain the general idea of the rule, without becoming absolute dicks about it. We should probably focus on our own floor for the turn, before we even meddle with anything previously built. Once a floor is built, improvements to previous floors or multi-level projects may begin. Don't ban tweaks and use of previous floors, but make it clear that the main goal of one's turn is to add at least a level, and that should be take priority over other projects, unless a dragon is snacking on the crafters, or everyone is eating their own socks to survive.
I would actually like to second this idea, especially with the thoughts of unfinished floors so we may improve them. We should at least keep the general idea for the floor though, or at the least, keep anything on there that might be important or requested to be kept by the overseer. For example, if I want to make a shrine in my honor, I want it kept there until the tower gets mowed down by a siege of dragons or something we'll get unlucky with encountering.
...Which, considering my luck, either that will happen on my turn and I will fail, or I will be very prepared but nothing will happen. I hope something interesting happens on my turn..
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 11:34:39 pm by RedMageCole »

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2015, 01:41:16 am »

OK - add me to turn list pls) i am the next)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2015, 01:45:55 am »

I suspect that will be more of an unwritten rule than anything; it's pretty obvious - don't destroy people's stuff, and add your own stamp on the fort.  Also, I've added another minor restriction: all farms must be placed outside the tower.

Welcome aboard Heretic, hope you don't mind the wait ;)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2015, 02:31:38 am »

I suspect that will be more of an unwritten rule than anything; it's pretty obvious - don't destroy people's stuff, and add your own stamp on the fort.  Also, I've added another minor restriction: all farms must be placed outside the tower.
Well, sieges will be interesting. Now if only we had a way of shooting invaders from a higher ground... I can really envision the entire fort being on emergency militia duty, grabbing crossbows and whatever bolts they can find, trying to shoot invaders from the windows before the yearly crops get trampled...

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2015, 02:50:13 am »

After some careful consideration, I have just decided to remove rule 3 entirely.  While I do believe that it introduces an element of risk and danger to our game, the rule ends up unnescessarily complicating several things such as pump stacks, workshop management, adding new farms and such.

Isn't unnecessary complication standard protocol for succession fortresses though? :)

Well, sieges will be interesting. Now if only we had a way of shooting invaders from a higher ground... I can really envision the entire fort being on emergency militia duty, grabbing crossbows and whatever bolts they can find, trying to shoot invaders from the windows before the yearly crops get trampled...

Yeah can definitely go with that. Just wanted to clarify the rules a bit that's all. Better now than later on where irreversible mistakes may or may not have been made.

That reminds me of those old keeps where they have the surrounding countryside grow crops and farm animals and such to supply the main castle. In that case, it will really be a proper siege. Can they cut us off from our food supplies and wait us out long enough to starve us out? Or will we bite the bullet and engage them just so we won't starve/ dehydrate to death before our meager provisions are consumed entirely? *Rubs hands in glee*

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2015, 08:05:17 am »

I think the voting has gone long enough.  Take a 4x4 at Site 2 and get your starting equipment.  I am genuinely excited for this one, I want to at least see pictures of our new home this weekend.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2015, 08:46:46 am »

I think the voting has gone long enough.  Take a 4x4 at Site 2 and get your starting equipment.  I am genuinely excited for this one, I want to at least see pictures of our new home this weekend.

Hur Hur.... who's to say I haven't started already?

Well I haven't, but I was already planning to start tomorrow.  It's around 10PM here right now and I'm just tidying up a few things left for today.  First thing next morning I'll check the vote and start cracking at this map.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 08:51:55 am by Bearskie »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2015, 09:06:34 am »

Can we be modded to have surface crops?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2015, 09:11:05 am »

Am confused (as I normally am with mods and dfhack).  Doesn't vanilla already have above ground crops?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2015, 09:53:53 am »

Am confused (as I normally am with mods and dfhack).  Doesn't vanilla already have above ground crops?
He meant on embark, as starting gear.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2015, 09:58:13 am »

Anvil of course, and I always like to take a few Urists of Gypsum Plaster, just in case.

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2015, 10:49:37 am »

I've awoken just in time for planning!
Obviously, we should embark with possibly a couple more pickaxes for future miners (I would have applied to be a miner but I don't trust my dwarven self to go out into battle screaming with a pickaxe rather than a crossbow).
However, I don't think we need chopping axes, seeing as there are few trees. Some embarker can get their own.
And dear Armok, man! Why would you even consider taking cats with us other than to sacrifice them to our eventual magma pool?! No, take the cats out and put in more dogs in place of them. Dogs are butcherable, trainable, and I don't have Armok-damned allergies to them. Seriously, you try being in a fortress with a cat allergy.
Not. Fun.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:52:07 am by RedMageCole »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2015, 12:21:39 pm »

get a thousand pigs. We'll need all the potential bacon we can stockpile for when shit hits the fan.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2015, 12:27:21 pm »

However, I don't think we need chopping axes, seeing as there are few trees. Some embarker can get their own.
And dear Armok, man! Why would you even consider taking cats with us other than to sacrifice them to our eventual magma pool?! No, take the cats out and put in more dogs in place of them. Dogs are butcherable, trainable, and I don't have Armok-damned allergies to them. Seriously, you try being in a fortress with a cat allergy.
Not. Fun.
No matter how few trees there are, it can't hurt to able to cut them down. And cats get rid of vermin, which eat your foods and make dwarfs unhappy.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2015, 12:31:34 pm »

Not. Fun.
No matter how few trees there are, it can't hurt to able to cut them down. And cats get rid of vermin, which eat your foods and make dwarfs unhappy.
...Fine. I'm willing to compromise one male cat. One. Male. Possibly two.
And if the chopping axe distracts us from potentially more important resources, we should give it the axe.

Also, Taupe understands my inner feelings.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 66