- 0 (0%)
End
- 0 (0%)
This!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 07, 2015, 06:46:40 am

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 66

Author Topic: // Fall of the Succession Tower: Constructivory \\  (Read 263477 times)

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: // The Succession Tower: Constructivory \\
« Reply #375 on: September 20, 2015, 12:32:06 pm »

You did well to attack them quickly before they could muster up the full army; otherwise it would have been a hellish fight.

I was pretty surprised at the outcome to be honest. But then again I was too busy pausing the battle every now and then to jot down notes to notice until right at the end. I thought we were getting a a 30-40 something siege, but they just kept coming and coming. No injuries too barring Goden, and he now wields both weapon and shield in his right hand.

Also, my thoughts were basically "Noooooooooooooooooooo!!" when you released Sanju. This ain't gonna end well.

Yeah, I had her stationed, but she just ignored all that, ran off and served up some dwarven justice like the vigilante that she is. I had to quickly remove her military gear assignments and jobs otherwise who knows what would have happened. Anyway, I have PLANS for Sanju. So we will be seeing more of her soon, I hope.

How, praytell, did I do in the last battle? :)

You arrived late to the initial face off, though you participated in the rout of the trolls afterwards. I believe you have 4 troll kills to your name in the last battle, though your dwarf is more renowned for her feats earlier in the forts history, which includes a forgotten beast kill.

For anyone that is interested to know, I did a rough tally.

The vanguard for the battle (Zasit, Shipcat, Dumat) had the most kills overall, since they were there from the start. Shipcat has the top kills at 21, followed closely by Zasit with 16, then Dumat at 10.

Shipcat is now known as the Scorching Sweetnesses and Dumat is known as the Contained Depression of Counselling.

Playing through Summer now. Hopefully will have time to do an update tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 12:35:07 pm by Zuglarkun »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 21, 2015, 11:43:53 am »

Journal of Tholtig 'McBarsky' Pagedinks

One year already, eh. Out goes the old overseer, in comes the new one. Peaceful exchange of power? Sure thing. If that’s what you call a military coup nowadays. Noone’s complaining though, at least Shipcat’s got her head screwed on right this time, unlike a certain chicken-obsessed overseer.

Work stays the same anyhow. Those alcoholic beards want their alcoholic drinks; I just churn them out by the bucketful. Still barely enough booze to go around, considering the tower is more packed than a tinful of sardines at the moment. Not enough chairs, not enough tables, and damn well not enough beds.

What little free time I had, I’ve been doing some digging of the metaphorical kind. Course, the cheesemaker case was already cold as ice. Just about everybody and anybody could’ve shoved him down the central stairwell that day, including myself. Nay – the case had too many suspects, and too few trails. Whoever did this was good.

But for the Luna case… well, let’s just say I’ve been getting my hands dirty. Thank god we got soap; those corpses can get real messy sometimes. Hey, I wouldn’t say it was easy sneaking a peek at the dead in a fortress full of dwarves, but it’s downright remarkable what a brewer can get away with. Ain’t a soul in this place that wouldn’t turn a blind eye for an extra-fine brew of gutter creor. Every beard has a price, and that price is measured in pints.

You know, there’s an ancient dwarven tradition that says no dwarf should be buried alone without his chainmail. Old mountain teaching that’s slowly dying out, because hardly anyone lugs around their armor around nowadays. But some of the military types still do it. Axe, blade, shield and full metal armor, all buried together alongside rotting flesh and bleached bones. Still ready to fight on in the afterlife. Poor bastards; I really don’t know why they still do it. Old habits die hard, I suppose.

Miss Luna here was buried much the same - still wearing the same greaves, bent at odd angles from the fall. Same helmet, inner layer caked dry with blood. Same old mail shirt, now rusting old with age. Funny thing really, I had been looking for a potential cause-of-death or evidence of foul play. Corpse was pretty much dry in that respect. I just didn’t expect to find a stack of folders stuffed discretely within her chainmail.

So it turned out to be a report of sorts. I use the term in the roughest sense of the word; if I were being honest I’d call it a maggot-ridden, dog-eared sheet of runny paper. Could be a pile of turd for all I care – this was a lead. This thing has more [CLASSIFIED]’s stamped on it than a government mandate, and I’ll be damned if this isn’t related somehow to these murders. Now I’ll just have to find a place to hide it that’s not up my shirt.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 21, 2015, 12:15:52 pm »

2nd Hematite 55

One of the miners came up to me with something very odd to report.

"Hmmm? What's that?"

"Flooding of water you say?"

"Impossible, this place is freezing cold, how can any water manage to stay unfrozen out here in the wastes?"

"But Overseer, its happening down below! Have a look at the mines!" The miner cried out.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"What do we do? What do we do? What do we do!?"

"Well... if you could just SHUT THE HELL UP so I can think here! The water is getting closer now, if it reaches the stairway, all of the lower levels will be flooded, that would be catastrophic! We'll need to dam the flood at its source!"

"But where is the breach Overseer?"

"... You make a good point. I can't tell from here with all the walls wet like that. Too much damned flooding going on in the area. Get the engravers quick!"

"Where do I tell them to smooth?"

"JUST SMOOTH ALL THE WALLS!"

I quickly rounded up a group of our best stonecrafters and marched them into the mines to deal with this unfortunate situation. Judging from the way the water has spread, it seems that the leak happened on the east side of the tunnels. I ordered them to smooth the entire northeast section there. As an act of precaution, I ordered a team of dwarves to quickly put up some walls before the water level rises, just in case something goes awry with my plans.

13th hematite 55

Spoiler: Busy at work (click to show/hide)

"By the Beard of Armok! What is it now!?"

"Well I was planning to trade more crap away anyway but screw em! Concentrate Shipcat, remember to keep to your priorities! Don't get so agitated now... The trading can wait."

16th Hematite 55

It was just as I thought, smoothing the damn walls did jack nothing. We'll have to do this the hard way. out of the way! I'll have a go at plugging this damned dam!

Spoiler: Ahoy Matey (click to show/hide)

17th Hematite 55

Spoiler: Lorbam? Lorbam! (click to show/hide)

Lorbam where are you going? Come back here and help me with the dam!

Spoiler: A Strange Mood (click to show/hide)

21st Hematite 55

"Can't you see I'm trying to get stuff done here? I don't have time to report on every single little thing that happens around these parts!"

23rd Hematite 55

*Too busy with the dam to make a proper report*

25th hematite 55

*Still preoccupied with the dam*

3rd Malachite 55

Spoiler: *cries* (click to show/hide)

Fucking finally got this situation under control. HURRY! EVERYONE TO THE DEPOT BEFORE THEY LEAVE! Everyone drop whatever you are doing and get all this trash that we've been accumulating pawned off! All this large sized crap must go!

10th Malachite 55

We are ready for trade!

Spoiler: So much crap (click to show/hide)

DDDragoni trades all this large ill-fitting crap for some iron goods to melt down, sand, and all the food they had to offer.

I've made some personal adjustments to the military gear, seems some of the uniforms were missing helmets and even gauntlets. I'd also sent Pyrotechno to make some new weaponry for us, now that steel production is underway now. That reminds me, we do need more charcoal... RAZE THE FOREST!

12th Malachite 55

Spoiler: On the first try (click to show/hide)

Pyrotechno makes a masterwork silver mace on her first try. Yes! This is just what we needed. I ordered some more silver maces and warhammers to be made while the woodcutters and woodburners go gather up some more fuel.

13th Malachite 55

The merchants from Omsospesor have embarked on their journey. I'm sure those over-sized humans will find a better use for all that large troll fur crap than us dwarves.

Spoiler: *Sigh of relief* (click to show/hide)

Seems like the flooding has subsided for now.

16th Malachite 55

Spoiler: Hi-ho! (click to show/hide)

I ordered a resuming of construction activities down in the lower mines, now that we are no longer at risk of being stranded and drowned while working down there.

23rd Malachite 55

I'd ordered the artifact Greensilence the Tiredness of Melting installed in the Captain of the Guards quarters so that she may train while performing her super secret acts of super-heroism.

24th Malachite 55

The new barracks are now ready for use! Hoo boy! There is enough room for everyone!

1st Galena 55

Spoiler: Construction works (click to show/hide)

Most of the fortress is being mobilized to expand the tower. In the meantime, I've ordered some tallow and lye to be hauled down into the mines to resume soap production. Yes I know there is currently a ban on production facilities and activities below the surface, but no I don't give a damn. I know we had some strict orders to build everything in the tower, but this place is freezing cold all year round, and we need some soap supplies if we are to last. Since I'm in charge, I'm going to have to go against the grain for the greater good.

17th Galena 55

Spoiler: Producing more goods (click to show/hide)

Id the armorer is helping us get some copper breastplates (which we were conspicuously lacking) made for the armory.

25th Galena 55

Spoiler: Construction continues (click to show/hide)

Nothing much of interest to report. We're putting the finishing touches to the barracks level, perhaps we can place some of the supplies that we've had lying out in the cold here.

Autumn has come.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:10:19 am by Zuglarkun »

Vortex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 21, 2015, 12:47:32 pm »

In a game I was playing I had a miner dig *up* into an aquifer tile while building an up/down stair.  It cost me five levels of my fortress before I was finally able to contain it by channeling out the stairway and then building a floor over it!  Thank goodness you reacted fast enough to keep from losing a single floor (then again, my levels weren't as expansive as that so they flooded much faster!)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 21, 2015, 01:19:25 pm »

That was a good update. Had everything gone wrong, we'd still have a fresh new wooden cup to drink our newfound water supply with..😑

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 21, 2015, 02:40:43 pm »

I didn't remember anything about receiving any announcements about there being damp stone, so I was kind of puzzled. Aquifers are really not my thing, though I've had some experience, so I had to pause and look it up online to see where I had gone wrong. Didn't know aquifers can leak from the roof.  :-\ Yeah, kind of lucked out there that there was so much mining going on in that particular area.

This was maddening to say the least. Never have I hated those dawdling dwarves that couldn't make up their mind on whether to stay or go with more conviction *shaking fists in anger*. I had to babysit them individually, trying to micromanage everything while trying to coax someone, anyone to do something about the damn flooding. On the bright side, if you noticed what I did there, we'll have a new contraption to play with soon. Hoping to finish up the remaining 2 seasons before the end of the week. We'll see how it goes.

Vortex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 21, 2015, 03:03:24 pm »

I didn't remember anything about receiving any announcements about there being damp stone, so I was kind of puzzled.

That's the thing - digging up into the aquifer won't produce warnings about damp stone - it will only produce dwarves who are soaking wet and unhappy at having taken an unexpected bath. :) 

And hey - it could've been worse... you could have had to deal with a siege while trying to keep from flooding the fort.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 21, 2015, 09:35:34 pm »

I kind of expected TheCheeseMaker to die again once I saw the word 'water'. :P

Thankfully you managed to save the fort from becoming a flooded fps hell, so go ahead, remember to dismantle the soapers once you're done.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 21, 2015, 11:04:36 pm »

I didn't remember anything about receiving any announcements about there being damp stone, so I was kind of puzzled. Aquifers are really not my thing, though I've had some experience, so I had to pause and look it up online to see where I had gone wrong. Didn't know aquifers can leak from the roof.  :-\ Yeah, kind of lucked out there that there was so much mining going on in that particular area.
Also, you'd only receive the message and the game pausing once. This means that if someone once dug there and stopped, and you decided to continue the mining, you had no chance of knowing except by checking the surrounding stone for dampness. Nasty. Was that a fresh project or an old tunnel?

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 22, 2015, 12:01:02 pm »

Also, you'd only receive the message and the game pausing once. This means that if someone once dug there and stopped, and you decided to continue the mining, you had no chance of knowing except by checking the surrounding stone for dampness. Nasty. Was that a fresh project or an old tunnel?

Old tunnel, but I made sure to avoid digging into damp spots. Most likely I goofed somewhere and missed it completely, in my desire to obtain more orthoclase.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 22, 2015, 06:24:37 pm »

Some food for thought here...this means that the most risk-free way of excavating stone from the area would be an open quarry, as the aquifer would freeze when exposed to the sky.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 22, 2015, 06:26:08 pm »

Some food for thought here...this means that the most risk-free way of excavating stone from the area would be an open quarry, as the aquifer would freeze when exposed to the sky.
This is also more in-line with the general idea of the fort.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 23, 2015, 10:53:45 am »

2nd Limestone 55

Spoiler: Even more building (click to show/hide)

Construction in the tower continues, I had the dwarves build a perimeter for the orthoclase tower section.

5th Limestone 55

Spoiler: New! (click to show/hide)

Armor production is coming along nicely. Id made a ☼copper breastplate☼ today, oh I do love me some nice shiny gear.

8th Limestone 55

Anyone in the mood for a bubbly soapy bath? I know I do after getting all that mud all over me last season. :(

11th Limestone 55

Since soap production is coming along fine, I ordered the now useless frozen lye to be incinerated.

12th Limestone 55

Excellent, time to trade away even more of the loot we salvaged from the goblins. I'm making a decision to trade away the wooden armor and weapons. Wooden armaments are such a disgrace! We are dwarves, not elves! Besides, we don't have to tolerate wearing anymore of that crap since we've got a fledgling metalworking industry on the bubble. We are going to need every advantage we can get to survive against the goblins. Besides, the furnace operators and smiths are all of like mind and lobbied to get rid of the the goblin and elven garments. How else are they going to practice their craft if we are content with wearing all these shoddy foreign goods?

14th Limestone 55

Spoiler: Conga line of hauling (click to show/hide)

Haul you dregs! Haul!

23rd Limestone 55

Spoiler: New! And improved! (click to show/hide)

Id has got this grove going and is churning out these high quality dwarven fashioned armor. He made a ☼steel shield☼ today. I call dibs on that!

24th Limestone 55

I had the military take a well-deserved break for the next few weeks. Though many of them persist in their individual combat drills. That is dedication for you. The crossbow dwarves in particular are diligently honing their skills with the crossbow.

I had DDDragoni haggle with the dwarven traders for all the goods we wanted to purchase. I don't know why we have to haggle now, aren't we the Mountainhomes now? Where is our tribute? *Sigh* Turns out we didn't have enough to purchase everything we wanted, I had to forgo the cheeses and DDDragoni had to throw in 2 full pots of spice and a number of roasts to sweeten the deal. Well at least we managed to procure a good amount of sand, fish, steel, iron and metal goods for melting. I urged the traders to stay for awhile more while I scrounge up some more goods for trade. We are the Mountainhomes now! I expect more cheese roasts!

25th Limestone 55

I heard that Obok the Mason got struck by one of those strange moods again. As could be expected, she shooed the other masons away from their block cutting and proceeded to stake her claim on one of the workshops. To make things worse, she's screaming at the top of her lungs. I MUST HAVE METAL BARS! I MUST HAVE LOGS! What in Armok's name!!? I can hear her all the way over here at the other end of the valley.

OK OK, try to focus. Second round of trading, I had DDDragoni trade away the copper and silver weapons we had for cheeses and meat. Consider this as a kind gesture from the royal crown. Now should you scattered dregs in the wilderness decide not to seek protection under our banner, you can at least arm yourselves with something and try to fend for yourselves. We have a plentiful amount of copper and silver ore anyway so melting them would only use up more of our fuel stocks.

After some discussion with the engineers and metalworkers, we've decided on a location to dig the magma pumpstack. With the disastrous mining attempts last season, I've concluded that it is too risky to dig in the northeastern regions. Instead, we will dig further down to the southwest nearer to the tundra to avoid puncturing any aquifers. It is some distance away from the tower which will make the process of getting the magma into the tower difficult, but it is far better than putting our lives at hazard with another untimely flood. Once the location was designated, I had the miners proceed ahead. The plan would be to draw up magma from the magma sea into the tower. I'll discuss with the architects further and determine where would be a good spot to place the forges.

5th Sandstone 55

Spoiler: *facepalm* (click to show/hide)

Erush, stop being a silly dreg.

8th Sandstone 55

The masons came up to me with something to report.

"Overseer, Obok is still holding up the stone block production by barricading herself in the masons workshop"

"Why that is certainly news to me!" I proclaimed in an overly sarcastic tone.

"Look here, its not the first time this strange mood thing has happened isn't it? I'll reckon you folks would have smartened up to the fact of how these things work by now. Here, let me show you..." I took out my axe and started scrawling with the flat of the axe in the dirt.

"Step one: Dwarf gets silly idea in head. Step two: Dwarf claims work area. Step three: ? ? ? ?, Step four: Profit! I mean can't you folks have a little patience?"

"Well, I... erm... I... Well since you seem so knowledgeable, why don't you have a gander at what is going on?"

Spoiler: What is it now (click to show/hide)

I took one look at Obok then swung my head around at the mason, giving a look of derision.

"For Armoks sake, she wants glass. Are you deaf or something? Why must you report everything little thing to me?"

"Erm, but we don't have any more glass in stock Overseer."

"Then why didn't you just say so in the first place?" I stomped my way over to the trade depot and got DDDragoni to procure us some raw green glass to replenish our non-existent stock.

Spoiler: The glass is all empty (click to show/hide)

8th Sandstone 55

The tower perimeter is now secure, I will have the builders continue working on the new second floor. We will need a lot of rock to floor over all that empty space. I must have more orthoclase!

Spoiler: Obok is pleased (click to show/hide)

Obok with her newly procured raw green glass in hand, has now secluded herself in the masons workshops and has started working furiously on some mysterious object. Finally! We can have some silence around here.

10th Sandstone 55

Sanju has captured another super villain and is holding an interrogation in hopes of discovering the traitor among us.

"..."

"So not willing to talk eh?" sneered The Captain of the Guard. "We'll soon see about that."

"TALK! DAMN IT! WHO DID YOU SEND? WHO IS THE SPY?"

"You... you have nothing to threaten me with... you stunted half beards..." Snodub grimaced as it spat out a blood flecked wad of phlegm. "Soon my brethren will come, and all will be cast down, and there is nothing you or your kind can do about it."

Spoiler: Nothing you say? (click to show/hide)

"What the hell is that infernal racket?"

"Its Sanju! She is interrogating the goblin prisoner we captured!"

"Oh? What did she find out then?"

"I think its best you have a look for yourself..."

Spoiler: All in a day's work (click to show/hide)

14th Sandstone 55

Obok has created a pretty nice looking kaolinite coffer!

16th Sandstone 55

Spoiler: Dig deeper (click to show/hide)

The merchants have left. The miners are making progress excavating the tunnel for the magma pumpstack. Hopefully there won't be any flooding this time round.

20th Sandstone 55

The mayor has indicated to me that all illegal soap making activities are to cease and desist immediately as decided by The Grand Council. Bah! Screw her!

5th Timber 55

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The excavations efforts have bore fruit. We've reached the magma sea regions without incident, I'll get the lads to construct a cistern here.

25th Timber 55

I have the folks gather more rock from the vein mining to support the block making operations, but there is little of significance to report. The current supply of rocks has dried up to a trickle, and I need more blocks to fulfill my grand designs.

It is now nearing a whole year since I've taken up the post of Overseer, and I am growing weary. Though other folk tell me otherwise, I'm beginning to feel that I do not have what it takes to be the Overseer for the long term. I am beginning to understand why exactly it is that Overseers do not last, it is a thankless job and to get anything done around here, you have to try your hardest to coax the beards to do their jobs in a sensible fashion. Like that is happening anytime soon.

I suppose I can arrange a meeting with the mayor to find a replacement. Ducim has informed me that I will have to continue with what I've done thus far while she searches for a suitable candidate. Just my luck. Oh well, what can you do?

Winter is upon you.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:30:08 am by Zuglarkun »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 23, 2015, 11:21:45 am »

Bring in the next prisoner! One of em's gotta crack some time soon. If they don't... rip them apart.

Did we just get a coffin commemorating the death of a wagon?
welp, it's a coffer, mibad.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 11:26:56 am by Bearskie »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 23, 2015, 11:26:21 am »

Did we just get a coffin commemorating the death of a wagon?

If you consider a coffer a coffin, then yeah (its an artifact chest). Though I suppose you can scuttle the wagons and make splints and crutches out of their wood and store them in the coffer and that would be suitably coffin like.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 66