- 0 (0%)
End
- 0 (0%)
This!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 07, 2015, 06:46:40 am

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 66

Author Topic: // Fall of the Succession Tower: Constructivory \\  (Read 259724 times)

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
Re: ~ The Succession Tower ~
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 08:15:36 am »

PtW
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 08:26:16 am »

Sounds fun; I'd like a turn, please.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 08:57:16 am »

I vote number five, I know I will not play, but I may like a dorfing so I can put up journals detailing the events of the fortress from a non-overseer.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 09:23:17 am »

I like the second one. An evil biome, even a small one, seems much too hard, especially since we're going to spend most of our time outside, aboveground. A single giant 'bird' corpse could slaughter the entire fort. This rules out site 5.

As for fps concerns, that much extra space of sky will only really affect fps if animals who can fly enter the map. No one else can path to the top, so we shouldn't have to worry about it too much. It's not that hard to simulate empty space. It's when something can reach it that it becomes a problem.

Also, fps is mainly affected by dwarves (numbers and their pathing), temperature, and trees. So a sites 1, 2, or 5 would work best because of the smaller number of trees. A 3x3 embark would reduce pathing.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 10:08:09 am »

I'd like to be added to the turn list. Also I plan on rendering this tower in all of 3 different dimensions.

I vote for #2 for purely selfish reasons, being that I want to get snow working eventually in armok vision, and will use the fort to see how it looks.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 10:22:40 am »

Interesting to see quite a split in the vote so far.  Remember that the poll is multiple-choice, so if you like 3&5 you can vote for them both :)

PTW. Can we request dwarfing? If so I'd like to claim a mason.
I vote number five, I know I will not play, but I may like a dorfing so I can put up journals detailing the events of the fortress from a non-overseer.

Well of course :P Assuming we don't suddenly die in grisly fashion, that is.

what happens when we run out of z-lvls?

Then we can follow either Taupe's earlier suggestion, or I'll probably set a new rule where we start to build sideways.

Is it possible to change the sky limit post-generation?  I just don't see how we would possibly survive long enough to reach the top.  For the sake of fps, I think a sky of 50-60 would be plenty.  I'm also torn between Site 3 & 5 :-\ ..... 5.  As for embark size, I always do a minimum of 4x4.  In my experience, if you're going to have fps problems, then a few extra tiles won't make a difference; but having extra building & cavern space is worthwhile.
As for fps concerns, that much extra space of sky will only really affect fps if animals who can fly enter the map. No one else can path to the top, so we shouldn't have to worry about it too much. It's not that hard to simulate empty space. It's when something can reach it that it becomes a problem.

No, I don't think it's possible to change things post-generation.  As for reaching the top, if everyone takes the maximum 5z per turn, we'll get there in about 20 turns.  Maybe.  Anyway, I'll take CheeseMaker's word for it that we wont have too much fps issues with all the extra sky.  In hindsight, I should've removed some of the cavern layers since we're hardly going to build downwards anyway ??? Bah well.

I'd like to be added to the turn list. Also I plan on rendering this tower in all of 3 different dimensions.

I vote for #2 for purely selfish reasons, being that I want to get snow working eventually in armok vision, and will use the fort to see how it looks.

Jaaaapaaa *bows*

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 10:27:17 am »

There's also a DFHack plugin called infinite sky that allows you to go above 100

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 11:13:43 am »

omg, read what i said about adding sky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 11:19:33 am »

Okay, okay you two :P We'll do it if we reach that high.  Now, be a good citizen and get a'votin!

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 11:24:36 am »

Disregard the fourth vote on number two, accidentally voted for that instead of number one.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2015, 12:38:36 pm »

I vote for number two, based entirely on the fact that it is called ''The Taupe Desert''

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 01:03:27 pm »

Either 2, 3 or 4. So voting for all three of them. Don't really have a preference as long as I'm not the one tackling the aquifers. (In other words - I suck at digging through aquifers)

Here's my take on the relative merits and weaknesses of the 5 sites.

Site 1 -  Lack of vegetation is a plus, since we'll need to pave over the surrounding base of the fortress to prevent that tree growth crash bug. However I'm not a fan of the brook running straight through the middle of the map. Also, newbie friendly, though it is a cakewalk.

Site 2 - Seems relatively tame and newbie friendly while not being a total cakewalk like site 1. All the benefits of site 1 without the distracting brook. 3x3 is nice and cozy.

Site 3 - Personally I really like the idea of a Minas Tirith style fortress that is build into the mountain side. Assuming we survive long enough, our tower will eventually rival the very mountains in height! A plus would be that materials can be excavated from the mountain with ease despite the presence of aquifers. Though judging by the layout, it will be difficult to find space to place the tower unless the site is moved more southeast. Finding a suitable spot for underground farming can be difficult though. (can't farm in mountain biomes right?)

Site 4 - I concur with the biodiversity being a big plus. The elevated mountain plateau is very defensible as well though establishing underground farming will be kind of a pain in the ass.

Site 5 - That's a lot of ocean, which kinda restricts where we can build. The risk of undead (especially of the flying variety) will result in loads of FUN. Whether that is a positive thing or negative thing is subjective to your personal taste.

Quick question - What if we decide on pumping magma to the surface? Does the lack of interfering in other overseers tower levels rule that out automatically or is there some kind of special concession we can make for that?

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 07:44:25 pm »

My first time posting on Bay12Forums after a long exile of...
...Well, let's just say, don't look at my threads. I get very riled up when I have too much booze. Well, more than the usual dwarf. Normally, I promise that I can be a very kind dwarf. Fellow dwarves tend to slip me drinks though, and it might cause some.. terrible behavior.
I would like to take a turn, if I am not immediately thrown out for my odd behavior, however. I need to do something on Dwarf Fortress, and a succession, my first one, would be perfect. And again, ignoring the threads I may have made, I am actually moderately good at Dwarf Fortress.
Either way, our decisions are all with their pros and cons.. However, 2 and 5 seem the most interesting. 2 for the fact that we would have to survive without water unless we found an underground source or a way to melt ice, and 5 for the fact that it will result in godless, hell-spawning fun.
With that being said, I hope I may still take a turn at this time, despite past issues with alcohol.
I promise that my journals will not be like gargantuan text but I assure you I will have my normal scholarly self I mean-
Oh, and by preference, I would like to take up weaponsmithing, armorsmithing, and masonry. I am fine with anything else if needed. Oh, and if I get drafted into the military, do give me a crossbow, will you?

(tl;dr this is my first post in forever on here because I've wanted to play a succession game and i'm a lot funnier than i used to be please give me a chance and a turn please-)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 11:22:58 pm by RedMageCole »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 09:27:52 pm »

My first time posting on Bay12Forums after a long exile of...
...Well, let's just say, don't look at my threads.

-instantly looks at your threads-

...Turn list updated!

After some careful consideration, I have just decided to remove rule 3 entirely.  While I do believe that it introduces an element of risk and danger to our game, the rule ends up unnescessarily complicating several things such as pump stacks, workshop management, adding new farms and such.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:47:38 pm by Bearskie »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 09:58:07 pm »

After some careful consideration, I have just decided to remove rule 3 entirely.  While I do believe that it introduces an element of risk and danger to our game, the rule ends up unnescessarily complicating several things such as pump stacks, workshop management, adding new farms and such.
We can probably retain the general idea of the rule, without becoming absolute dicks about it. We should probably focus on our own floor for the turn, before we even meddle with anything previously built. Once a floor is built, improvements to previous floors or multi-level projects may begin. Don't ban tweaks and use of previous floors, but make it clear that the main goal of one's turn is to add at least a level, and that should be take priority over other projects, unless a dragon is snacking on the crafters, or everyone is eating their own socks to survive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 66