- 0 (0%)
End
- 0 (0%)
This!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 07, 2015, 06:46:40 am

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 66

Author Topic: // Fall of the Succession Tower: Constructivory \\  (Read 259576 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: ~ The Succession Tower ~
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2015, 12:51:08 pm »

Indeed. I would suggest 1 (one) boar, and 250 (many) sows.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2015, 10:14:38 pm »

Let me just tell you, I don’t like this. 

Build me a tower to pierce the heavens, she said.  Create an everlasting monument of dwarven engineering, she said.  We need to go higher, she said.

Trouble is that Queen Catten’s the liberal sort.  Doesn’t mind heights, shakes hands with the elves and humans, climbs mountains for fun.  Even talked about moving the entire mountainhome above ground once (shudder).  Me?  I’d like at least 50Z of solid rock between me and the sky, thankyouverymuch.

Our cart hits another large pothole, and I curse as it wobbles under the weight of a hundred multi-coloured stones.  I don’t like this.

Spoiler: Embark screen (click to show/hide)

15th Granite, 50

Well, we’re here.  The lads standing around the wagon are all waiting for my call.  Problem is, the usual “strike the earth!” stuff don’t seem that appropriate this time round.  My heart’s heavier than some of the stones we carry along, but with a weary sigh I descended from the wagon and gave them all a good long look.

“Skywards, then.”

Welcome to Constructivory!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:32:46 pm by Bearskie »

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2015, 10:35:29 pm »

Armok be damned, Bearskie, I wish we were on the same timezone, I've been waiting all night for this.
At first, I thought "Constructivory" was a fancy word for just Construct. Then I realized it was "Construct Ivory". Quite a fitting name. We're constructing, and... well, I doubt the tower will be made of ivory, but..
First suggestion is that we change the thread name so Constructivory is in the title. Second suggestion, I put a pretty obvious point of interest for our tower on the map. Looks great, by the way.
We're ready.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2015, 02:05:31 am »

Think of it this way, once you wake up you'll be treated to a generous serving of TOWERING FORTRESSES :)

I've only dorfed Taupe so far, since he's the only one that called dibs on the mason.  I'm the miner and expedition leader, the other dwarves are: miner, planter, carpenter, herbalist and peasant.

18th Granite
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
…Aaand we’ve hit a snag.  Damn well can’t excavate rock if there’s an aquifer, and damn well cant build a tower if we can’t excavate rock.  The weather’s just cold enough to freeze our socks off without freezing the water.  Damn.

Tell ya what, priority right now is to get ourselves off the ground before some ice monster comes and gobbles us up.  We’re standing on a desert full of clay, so we’re gonna use it.  Her majesty can complain about the ‘aesthetics’ as much as she wants.

20th Granite
These camels are getting on my nerves.  Any moment now, someone’s gonna lose an arm or a legs to a stray hoof.  Vicious things who have no business being here so far south.

8th Slate
Liftof- Ehgads, I’m already starting to feel quesy.

21st Slate

Busy busy.  We’ve just about finished the living quarters, and I’ve taken the liberty of building a extra-large room just for myself.  Keeps me close to the ground, at least as close as close gets in this place.

Snow is melting, and fruits are a-bloomin’.  Yeeckh.  People really don’t know how bad a forest of overripe, squished fruits can smell like until they’ve experienced it themselves.

28th Slate
Which reminds me, we better get the farms up and ready.  Plenty of food still left in the wagon o’course, but I’m not taking my chances - winters here are especially brutal.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2015, 02:21:13 am »

Requesting to be dorfed as a mechanic/ building designer.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2015, 02:38:01 am »

''Hey I'm a mason, I'll be useful for once!''
*entire thing is built out of clay instead*

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2015, 04:47:21 am »

Haha, no worries.  Once we get the stone out of the ground, I suspect you'll be very busy indeed.  Zuglarkun, I haven't really done any mechanics yet, but I see a building designer in the next migration wave that I can dorf you as.

What should I rename the title to?  Just ~ Constructivory ~, or something longer?

2nd Hematite
Right down below here we got a general purpose workspace for our dwarves.  It’s wide, ugly, and completely open to invaders at the moment, but it’ll do the trick. 

7th Hematite
Raw stone, praise the miners!  The miners being me and some other guy whose name I can’t remember, of course.  Bloody hell, our rock expert Taupe even tells me we have gypsum.  Hah, here I am thinking those stuff grew in labs or something.

9th Hematite
Many disturbing omens accompany the turn of summer; amongst them, the sight of a dwarf giggling as he plucks cherry blossoms and kaniwa flowers from the rollicking hills.

11th Hematite
Really difficult dig here – the tundra is dry enough, but Taupe’s desert is leaking water like a one-humped camel.  Have to be careful.

16th Hematite
No space for food!  NO SPACE FOR FOOD!  Damn it all I told them, we wouldn’t be having this sort of problems in an underground fortress.  In the meantime, we’re chucking all of it onto the roof, with the cat on guard duty.

18th Hematite
Additional labour has arrived, no doubt clueless hill peasants who will spend their whole lives hauling rocks-

-except you, of course.

So, the higher ups have decided to send someone to watch over our progress, eh?  I’ll keep my eye on you. 

21st Malachite
…And so I told ‘em, no new bedrooms or floors till we get the limestone block production running.  In the meantime, they’ll just have to shack it up in the workshop area, too bad.

9th Malachite
Taupe and the new guy are almost done carving all the coloured stones into blocks by now.  Soon I’ll set up a production line to bring up the real stones from the quarry.  Clay is good and all, but too much red makes me feel hungry.

8th Galena
Laying down the tracks today.  From now on, we’ll have five minecarts constantly shuttling stone from the quarry to the tower.  Now we can finally build stuff.
Hearing the first rattle of the tracks… it remind me of when I was a lad, livin’ in the copper mines with family and friends, just running ‘round, getting spit drunk and punching anything that moved.  Heh.  Good times. 
Maybe after this whole shitstorm is over, and I get my big ol' paycheck from Catten, I’ll just buy a mine and settle down there.  Maybe a microcline quarry; always liked microcline.  Mm’yeah.

3rd Limestone
What the-

IT’S A THIEF GET AWAY FROM MY RETIREMENT PLAN DAMNIT.
Damn, he ran off. 
If I see you again, you're spare parts.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 05:44:43 am by Bearskie »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2015, 05:09:46 am »

me wanna be bookkeeper pls
 and mechanic
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2015, 06:05:54 am »

Roll the dice and dwarf me as anybody.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2015, 07:40:31 am »

I'll take that unskilled Peasant.  We'll make something useful out of him eventually.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2015, 07:45:12 am »

I shall be the miner please.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2015, 08:05:26 am »

I really hope having a 4x4 embark doesn't become an issue.

Do we have sand?

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2015, 09:21:58 am »

Can I get a dorf as well? I don't care who.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2015, 10:34:26 am »

I'll take the brewer/armorsmith from that migration wave.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2015, 11:22:08 am »

Yep, theres sand.  Whoever hasnt been dorfed yet, just wait for the next couple of updates :)

10th Limestone
200 PERCENT!  They wanted a 200% cut on profits! 

Well I told them they could sod off and take their junk away with them.  Our tower will survive fine by itself, thanks.  Incidentally, have you ever seen such an evil looking git?  Greasy hair, twirly moustache, upturned nose and all.

11th Limestone
Apparently the workshop area needs an expansion, so I’ve given them the go-ahead to do it.  Free of charge.

26th Limestone
Blimey, it actually doesn't look half bad.

4th Sandstone
Our first real accident happened today… it’s a funny story actually: he was attacked in his sleep by a tantruming rum barrel.  Ha ha. 

Naw, apparently one of the builders were deconstructing a wall without realising that there was a rum barrel above it, so y’see, it went crashing down with unneering accuracy onto the sleeping Japa’s bed.

Coincidence?  Maybe.  He’ll live.

20th Sandstone

More workers sent by the mountainhome to assist us in this project.  At least, that’s what the note said, stamped with the official seal and all.  Passed to me by some gel named Zuglarkun, alongside her qualifications as a trained architect.  I can smell crap from a mile away, and let me tell ya, these dwarves smell like military.  So, Miss-Trained-Architect thinks she can take over my post?  Not a chance in hell.

25th Sandstone
Dear god, we just had an ice-breaking session for the new migrants today.  I have no idea who suggested such a ridiculous idea in the first place, but the next thing you know all 22 of us were out in the freezing tundra taking turns to swing picks at a block of ice.  Even the dogs came and watched.

In the unfortunate process of socialization that followed (served with tea), I’ve discovered that a lot of the workers in our fort have really odd names:

There’s my mining partner for six months, for example, whose name turned out to be ‘Hiddenleafguy’.  Note: she is actually female.

This fella calls himself ‘Immortal-D’, and frankly I dont want to know what the D stands for.

Meanwhile ‘Gwolfski’ is the chap who has been walking around the fort with his nose buried in a mechanics textbook since we got here.   He seems keen enough, so I handed him the bookkeeper position the following morning.

5th Timber
Experimentations with above ground crops have been ongoing; it’s rather surprising what you can grow in a desert like this.

9th Timber

The clink of my pickaxe echoes through the salt limestone cavern.  All around me, the bustling of dwarves moving like cogs in a well-oiled machine, pushing to get the limestone and gypsum rocks towards the surface, and ultimately towards Taupe's workbench.

This part of the wall here seemed to be oddly loose somehow.  I pressed my hand against it and felt damp moisture seeping through my skin.  Yet another aquifer, I grumbled.  Next wall then-

“WEREBEAST!”

No.

“IT’S COMING FROM OVER THE TUNDRA!”

No.

That’s…. right above us.

Nooo.

Now picture this scene in your head:  11 dwarves and 2 war dogs in the mines right below.

5 dwarves are en route between the tower and the quarry.

The remaining 6 are hiding out in the tower itself, including Japa, who is still bedridden.

And then you think: oh yes, this is about to get interesting.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 66