- 0 (0%)
End
- 0 (0%)
This!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 07, 2015, 06:46:40 am

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 66

Author Topic: // Fall of the Succession Tower: Constructivory \\  (Read 259666 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: ~ The Succession Tower ~
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2015, 10:09:34 pm »

Wow, lol.  Who amongst the founding 7 is left at this point?

Hang on a sec, lemme try and refresh my memory here.

Founders:  Me (miner), hiddenleafguy (miner), Taupe (mason), you (peasant/odd-jobs person)
Wave 1: Gwolfski (bookkeeper), Japa (animal trainer), RedMageCole (mason-smith)
Wave 2: Zuglarkun

As for non-dorfed characters, I think the carpenter is the only founder still alive, the other two died in the mines. Edit: woops, planter is still alive.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 03:47:42 am by Bearskie »

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2015, 11:18:56 pm »

Journal of TheCheeseMaker

1 Granite 51

If the Queen wants cake, she gets to eat cake.  If the queen wants a golden throne, she gets to sit on a golden throne.  If the queen wants a massive tower in the middle of a savage tundra, a group of dwarves embark to make it so.  No one denies the queen.  No one at all.

Not until today, at least.  Yesterday she demanded that I go to supervise the construction of her precious tower.  But I am going to march into her throne room and tell her I am not going to die in the wilderness for her vanity project.  I refuse to go.

2 Granite 51

I have begun to pack for my journey to Constructivory.  I, of course, am grateful that our kind and merciful queen has allowed me the honor of directing the construction of the tower.  Long live Queen Catten Murdermirror (OOC: That’s her actual name).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3 Granite 51

22 of us have embarked for the tower.  Hopefully we should be able to make it within a month.  Between here and there lies the Tressed Murk, a horrible swamp land.  To give future generations an idea of what this land is like, think of the grossest, most vile swamp you can imagine.  This swampland is like that, but the animals are giant and it is frigid cold.

But at least the queen will be happy.

If we survive.

23 Granite 51

We are approximately half way to the tower.  No one has died yet, although one dwarf, Shipcat, has managed to train her axe skills fairly high fighting off the giant beasts. (OOC: Sorry Zuglarkun, no male dwarf had any military skills.)

I tried telling her that we should thank the queen for sending us here, otherwise Shipcat never would have trained her skills as high as she had on the journey.  Shipcat just scoffed at me.

1 Slate 51

We have nearly arrived.  The tower is but a few days away.  I looked over the records we have for once again.  When the caravan left Constuctivory last fall, the tower was in good standings.  No one had died yet, and work was progressing on the tower.

In the spring, an elven caravan should have arrived.  That is good.  The queen loves the elves.  Hopefully the dwarves here have given them many gifts and traded generously.  I wouldn’t want any trouble with them.

The queen demands (sorry requests) that five floors of the tower should be completed every year.  So after one year and one month, the dwarves should be finished with the first five floors and working on the sixth.

7 Slate 51

NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

This is horrible!  Everything is all wrong!  The tower is only four floors high, half the population is dead, and I can’t even say what happened to the elves!

-----

Snippets of various conversations of TheCheeseMaker on 7 Slate 51

TheCheeseMaker: Can you tell me what happened to the elves?

Ineth Urvadkobel: Oh! Yeah, funny story about them.  You see, we were all getting ready to trade, but then we realized that we didn’t have very many trade goods.  You know, on account of being too busy dying to make any flutes or earrings or anything.

TheCheeseMaker: So you killed them all!?

Ineth: No, no.  We were going to just not trade at all, but then I saw something I really wanted.

TheCheeseMaker: Do you even know how to play the piccolo?

Ineth: Well, no…  But I can learn!

TheCheeseMaker: No you can’t! We never actually play the instruments! We just make and trade them!

Ineth: Well, now if we ever decide to play them, we can.

TheCheeseMaker: No! We could have made our own!  Dang it! The queen will be furious.

---

TheCheeseMaker: How did half of the population here die?

Tulon Dakostor: There was this huge ferocious monster! A giant werelizard came and tore apart most of our miners and a few others.  No one could stop it, but eventually it just bled to death from its wounds.

TheCheeseMaker: Werebeasts spread curses when they bite dwarves.  Did that happen here?

Tulon: No! Well, yes, but we have contained the threat.  Three dwarves transformed into monsters, but they quickly killed each other, along with one other.  Actually, that last one didn’t die from the werebeast, we just forgot to take him out of quarantine, so he died of thirst.

TheCheeseMaker: So all the werebeasts are dead, correct?

Tulon: No.  One still lives in the mines.  We gave her a pretty sweet deal, too.  She’s now our bookkeeper/manager (since she can’t do anything else.  She has her own snazzy new office and everything!

TheCheeseMaker: Dang it! The queen hates werebeasts.  She will be furious.

---

TheCheeseMaker: Why is the tower behind schedule?

Zefon Bengengudib, Broker:  I can assure you we all have good excuses for not doing work.

Zefon: You see, two dwarves were resting in the hospital.

Zefon: Two dwarves were in the military, and everyone knows they can’t work.  HiddenLeafGuy and I were on break or drinking, so we couldn’t work, and most of the rest were at a party vital to the survival of this fort.  We needed that party.

TheCheeseMaker: So only two of you were working?

Zefon: Correct.

TheCheeseMaker: Dang it! The queen will be furious.

-----

Letter to Queen Catten Murdermirror:

Dear Her Royal Highness,

Everything is going great, here in Constructivory.  Everyone is so happy that we have the opportunity to build a great tower in your name.

Progress is going quickly, even quicker that we thought.  I suspect that we may have passed your expectations! (Joking! Ha! Of course you have suspected our quickened progress, because you are the smartest, most intelligent queen ever!)

The elves are very happy with us, and everything is going along swimmingly here.  Just don’t visit anytime soon, OK?  We must be prepared for your arrival!  If you give us fifteen to twenty years, I’m sure we will be ready.

With Great Respect,
TheCheeseMaker

-----

OOC:  Not a ton happening in this update, since I only played a month.  It was mostly just to set up my character, because the one I wanted before has a bad case of werelizard.  We have five dwarves from the starting seven alive: HiddenLeafGuy, Immortal-D, Taupe, and two nameless losers. 

I redorfed you, Zuglarkun.  Bearskie and RedMageCole: I’ll redorf you both in the next update.  You can tell me who you want, otherwise I’ll just pick randomly.  Oh, and Japa is now being treated at the hospital.  I just had to create a new zone and put him there.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:28:55 pm by TheCheeseMaker »
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2015, 11:40:23 pm »

Ok that just killed me.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2015, 11:43:35 pm »

A dead caravan of elves?  I'd say you're getting into the swing of things already  :P.  Don't need to redorf me as of yet, but DDDragoni wished for a dorf pages back. 

I won't be here for the next week (which is why I blasted through my turn so quickly), so you guys will have to handle passing around the save and enforcing the rules.  If the next player doesnt respond in time you can always just skip them or something.

Ps. Yikes, that's a huge migration wave.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2015, 12:05:30 am »

A dead caravan of elves?  I'd say you're getting into the swing of things already  :P.  Don't need to redorf me as of yet, but DDDragoni wished for a dorf pages back. 

Ps. Yikes, that's a huge migration wave.
It's fine, I can dorm myself during my turn.
Also, the migration wave on the first spring is always massive- I believe the record is in the seventies.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2015, 01:44:08 am »

We are approximately half way to the tower.  No one has died yet, although one dwarf, Shipcat, has managed to train her axe skills fairly high fighting off the giant beasts. (OOC: Sorry Zuglarkun, no male dwarf had any military skills.)

Bah, I will just have to RP a little further that's all. That will do fine. thanks. Could I request a screenshot of Shipcat's character screen?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2015, 03:43:40 am »

Updated the second post with a census.  Hopefully it'll help some people in the dorfing process. 

I'm currently only using information from the end of the turn, which should be alright once the fort population stabilizes.  However if anyone's actually diligent enough to provide me with real-time information regarding the turn's migrations/deaths, sure feel free to pm me :)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2015, 03:51:20 am »

Updated the second post with a census.  Hopefully it'll help some people in the dorfing process. 

I'm currently only using information from the end of the turn, which should be alright once the fort population stabilizes.  However if anyone's actually diligent enough to provide me with real-time information regarding the turn's migrations/deaths, sure feel free to pm me :)
That's still some very nice chart, thanks for making that!

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2015, 08:15:40 am »

Log of Chief Medical Dwarf, 7 Slate 51

*Yawn*  Ok think... this isn't the first time you've woken up in a strange place.

Right.. we were partying to celebrate.  Probably.

Hmm... *scratch scratch*.

We got sent out for a grand monument of some kind.  I'm definitely not on ground level.  Furthermore, I ... wait a second...

CHIEF MEDICAL DWARF!?!?

.... oh dear.  It's fine, just ride it out.  They needn't know about my conflicts.

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2015, 11:35:59 pm »

Hello you dwarfy people out there!  I know what you all want: an update!  Well, that’s too bad, because I do not have an update for you tonight.  Instead, I have something even better!  A history lesson!

You see, something happened while I was playing that confused me a lot.  I sat at the computer screen for a couple minutes wondering exactly how that thing happened.  For the sake of clarity, we will refer to this ‘thing’ as The Event.

In order to better understand The Event, I did some digging in legends mode, and found the following:

---

A Dwarven History for Dummies

In the beginning, there was a small world.  Various beasts and races lived in that world in harmony.  Everyone was happy.  Goblin children and little elven hippie monsters played with the dwarves as friends.  There was no strife, there was no pain.

Then Armok decided the world was too boring, so he destroyed it.

And henceforth came the cycle of creation and destruction that all worlds go through, until he found a suitably violent world that appealed to his tastes.  Our story takes place on that world.

When life was first placed on the newly reformed world, the new, minor gods placed each race on it.  They divided the life into races and civilizations, one of which was called The Stake of Healers.

Catten Murdermirror quickly rose to power in that civilization.  Immediately she ordered the construction of a large fortress and a smaller hillocks.  The fortress was called Tempesttower and the hillocks was called Claspedmatches.

But there were darker forces at work that day, for a silver fiend appeared, and with it, a goblin civilization called The Lies of Raking.

Editor’s Note: The silver fiend, Ostar, was not a fun guy.  I would never invite him to a party.  First off, he was a giant anteater with external ribs, so he looked awful.  Second, his blood is poisonous.  That means if he gets a paper cut and bleeds into the punch bowl, everyone dies.  Even his name sounds evil: Ostar Burydie The Dead Crypts.  That’s 4 things relating to death in 5 words! Then there’s the whole suicide thing…

He twisted the goblin civilization into one of pure evil, with no goodness or sense of redemption.

Meanwhile, the Stake of Healers grew.   Two more hillocks, Wealthspaints and Helmpracticed, were founded.

But all was not good for the dwarves.  In 34, a hydra, the only one in the world, destroyed Helmpracticed, leaving no survivors.

The goblins grew in numbers as well.  In time, they became so that their civilization was larger than any other.  None could match their ferocity in battle.

In 50, the Stake of Healers founded a new fortress, Constructivory, the first one to be created since Tempesttower.   They also reclaimed a different hillock destroyed in a goblin raid.

Eventually, the two civilizations collided in a bloody war.  The goblins outnumbered the dwarves fifty to one.  Battles frequently found 500 goblins fighting only 12 dwarves, but each time the dwarves somehow drove off the attackers.

Claspedmatched was the first to fall to the goblin menace.  All of the defenders were massacred, and the survivors fled.

But Tempesttower endured. Within a year and a half of the war, the goblins had attacked the fortress eight times, each siege being driven off.

But the goblins numbers are many.  Their hearts are evil.  They will return to the fortress.  They will return again and again and again.  Whisperings go out throughout the land.  They tell of the inevitable fate of the kingdom.  Peasants flee to the far places of the earth.  Nobles hide deep in their homes.  They all know one thing: Tempesttower will fall.

---

OOC: And that brings us to the present day for the fortress.  I have no work tomorrow, so expect a real update tomorrow morning or early afternoon.  I dorfed you DDDragoni as the carpenter from the original 7, although if you want to change it that’s fine. 

I will also post the current list of dwarves for the census, although I can’t do it now because it would spoil The Event.  You’ll have to wait tomorrow to find out what it is (it’s not actually that cool, I just was really confused about it).
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2015, 11:53:04 pm »

OOC: And that brings us to the present day for the fortress.  I have no work tomorrow, so expect a real update tomorrow morning or early afternoon.  I dorfed you DDDragoni as the carpenter from the original 7, although if you want to change it that’s fine. 

I will also post the current list of dwarves for the census, although I can’t do it now because it would spoil The Event.  You’ll have to wait tomorrow to find out what it is (it’s not actually that cool, I just was really confused about it).
Thanks! I can't wait for more details, although I do have my suspicions...
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2015, 02:53:38 am »

I'm keenly awaiting the part where everybody dies.  With popcorn.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2015, 06:51:11 am »

Oh, I guess emo dwarf day won't be happening this year, but we might as well murder some goblins!

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2015, 06:40:57 pm »

9 Felsite 51

We will not have a repeat of the werebeast incident.  This tower must be in be the best condition it can be for when the queen arrives.  If everybody is dead, then it’s not the best it can be.

So I ordered anyone with military skills to begin training.  We currently have 3 squads: marksdwarves, axedwarves, and macedwarves.  For their first action, I order them to fight off the wild boar men that have been snooping around camp.

They appear to be more than capable, although those were only unarmed boar men.  We’re at war.  If the goblins attack, we must be able to fight off more than just unarmed animal people.

Unarmed Animal Men: easy

2 Hematite 51

A nasty kobold thief came to steal all our valuables (ha!).  Regardless of whether or not anything here is worth stealing, the queen’s goods must be protected.  Therefore, the entire army was mobilized, and after nearly a day of chasing it, the managed to track it down and kill it.  So, in case you’re wondering:

Unarmed Animal Men: Easy
Kobolds: Easy

Why do I still not feel very confident about our military status?

24 Hematite 51

As the military has been training and fighting off threats, the civilians of the fortress have been working hard to make our great queen’s dream a reality.  Two floors of the tower are currently being constructed.  These will be noble bedrooms and possibly military barracks, as right now we are forced to train outside on the ground.

5 Malachite 51

Our miners have found all three caverns, each in quick succession.  The first cavern layers is fairly standard, nothing too special about it.  The second is littered with bodies, so we’ll have to send the military to discover the cause.  The third is a maze of passages.  It’s nearly impossible to find anything down there.

We found the cause of all the bodies in the cavern layer.  A tribe of serpent men live there.  Well, it was a tribe at one point.  Right now it looks like everyone everyone’s dead except for a single serpent women spearman (spearwoman? spearserpant?).

Nevertheless, the queen absolutely detests snakes of all sorts.  We must remove them before her arrival.  I’m a little weary of sending our army against an armed opponent, but it’s only a single serpent woman, right? What harm can she do?

Well, that went worse than expected.  We lost one axedwarf before our military commander cut her head off.  A few others were bit, but they suffer no lasting injuries.  So our standing is this:

Unarmed Animal Men: easy
Kobolds: easy
Armed Animal Men: hard

We’re screwed if the goblins attack.

-

Events of 6 Malachite 51

It was unusually warm in Constructivory.  So warm that the military outside didn’t even feel cold when they were training, despite the fact that they all came to a mutual agreement to not wear any clothes until they found armor.  Of course, this pact caused one of them to die to a serpent women, but dwarves have never been known for good decision making.

Everyone seemed happy.  The caverns were discovered and deemed safe, work on the tower was progressing swimmingly, and even the cursed werebeast was admiring the engravings that she herself had made.

The happiest of the dwarves was TheCheeseMaker.  She was the overseer who had immigrated to the tower at the demands of the queen.  In fact, everything she did was according to the demands of the queen.  Other dwarves joked that she worshipped the queen.

Today though, was different.  The dwarves began to gather around TheCheeseMaker, wondering why no orders had been given.  TheCheeseMaker never looked up, never replied to the other dwarves’ questions.  She didn’t even acknowledge they were there.  All she did was stare at the piece of parchment in her hands.  Eventually, one dwarf, fed up with waiting, stole the paper and read it aloud:

-

9 Malachite 51

I feel this is an accurate representation of how I feel right now:

Oh yeah, and some migrants arrived.

All of them were very grateful to have a safe (ha! safe) place to rest and eat.  They claimed that the entire countryside was swarming with goblins, massacring any dwarf they saw.  I asked if all of the queens advisors were dead too.

The migrants said they all were, and I clapped my hands in glee.

Of course, it is a tragedy how many good dwarves died over the past few days.  But more importantly, I no longer have to bow to her wishes! I’m free!  Praise be to Ethra whatever the rest of his name is, for he has freed us from a tyrant!

We may be invaded, but whatever.  The important thing is I’m happy.

Oh, and some random dwarf decided to declare herself queen, with us being the new mountainhome and everything.  I may listen to her demands, I may not.  I can do whatever I want now!  Score 1 for TheCheeseMaker!

-

So that’s what confused me.  I made my entire character based on someone who does what the queen wants no matter what, then suddenly some random dwarf declared herself the queen.  At first I thought I made a mistake, that I had picked the wrong dwarven civ as my leader, but nope!  She died in battle.

Not really the blood bath some of you were hoping for, but a fun aspect of the game nonetheless.  Below is the current list of dwarves if you want to make the census.  I’m about half way through summer.  Expect another update later this week.  It will probably be a big one, as I plan to finish my turn next time I play.  Of course, if anything interesting happens, that could change.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2015, 09:47:51 am »

So just about everybody important is dead, the dwarven civilization is in disarray, and we've apparently become the final bastion of hope against an unstoppable force of evil lead by a silver, suicidal anteater?

I think i just had a legends mode orgasm.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 66