- 0 (0%)
End
- 0 (0%)
This!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 07, 2015, 06:46:40 am

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 66

Author Topic: // Fall of the Succession Tower: Constructivory \\  (Read 259601 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: ~ The Succession Tower ~
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2015, 12:49:15 pm »

Oh wow that means we actually have to tryr and not let all our dwarves die. Otherwise it will be an actually tragic event... Shit. Lots of pressure here.

Also can you post the new queens relationships? Im curious to know who the new royal family is...

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2015, 10:06:21 am »

The last stand of Dwarven civilization, in a world overrun by goblins!
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2015, 10:38:37 am »

The last stand of Dwarven civilization, in a world overrun by goblins!
In other words, business as usual.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2015, 10:42:24 am »

Yep, we only need, a few humans to get pissed at us to make it pay day!

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2015, 10:52:39 am »

Get all three races to attack us and we can rename this place Barad-dûr.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2015, 12:27:29 pm »

+1
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2015, 01:53:22 pm »

First we need to get a giant eye made of magma on the top floor- which will be an issue if we keep expanding.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 08, 2015, 02:12:56 pm »

Dorf me and sign me up for a turn.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 08, 2015, 05:23:32 pm »

Journal of TheCheeseMaker

25 Malachite 51

After a long argument among the nobles of the fortress, we have decided to continue to build the tower.  Despite the fact that it only started as a result of the mad queen, the new queen demanded that we continue to build the tower ‘in her legacy,’ whatever that means.

The queen also demanded royal accommodations for her new royal self.  I have decided to give in to her demands, and the current plans for the tower are scrapped to build her royal dining and bedrooms.  Praise be to Queen Fath Splashcrafted!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2 Galena 51

A dwarf got a strange look in his eye today.  He immediately walked into our dining hall and started shouting at the top of his lungs that he needed a jewelers shop.  I was about to ignore him and let him go mad, but the queen ordered a workshop built.

We also discovered the magma sea today!  Of course, the queen has forbidden the use of magma forges unless we move the magma to the tower, so I do not believe we will use magma forges any time soon.

More importantly, we have also discovered adamantine, which will be important if we ever decided to start using armor when our military fights.

28 Galena 51

Our great and wise queen has demanded us to make bolts.  It is good to know that our noble queen wants us to make items that will be useful to the fortress in the long term.

We have begun to dump the large amount of bodies we have in the refuse pile in the magma sea.  Hopefully this will stop people from having mental breakdowns every time they leave the tower.

Oh, and the screaming dwarf finally finished the artifact.  Congratulations on producing the most useless artifact I’ve ever seen.

16 Limestone 51

Crap.

I order the entire military to go defend their fellow soldier from the beasts of the caverns.  With unmatched bravery, each dwarf charges forward, screaming with the ferocity of a berserk troll.  They see the giant cave spider, and with all their power rush to attack it…

And all of them immediately get stuck in the webs.

The militia captain does not survive.

None of the rest of the dwarves fare so well, either.  That is until Shipcat decides he’s had enough, and kills the beast with a single swipe of his axe.

Typical.

27 Limestone 51

A second dwarf starts running around, but without the screaming this time.  He runs straight to the mechanics workshop and starts building.  Maybe this will be something good.

By the way, did you know the symbol of our government is a forgotten beast?  I didn’t, but I gained a lot more respect for the founders of this wretched place.

14 Sandstone 51

A dwarven caravan has arrived.  It just occurred to me that no humans had come to our fortress to trade.  Anyway we traded to the caravan in exchange for some food, blocks, and metal bars.  Nothing really special happened.

6 Timber 51

Wow, this is actually a useful artifact.  I immediately placed it in one of the queen’s rooms.  The queen is the greatest and noblest out of all of us, it seems only fit that she get are most prized possessions.

Also, a troll killed an axedwarf today.  Shipcat killed it in revenge.  That’s two deadly beast kills for Shipcat.

2 Opal 51

A marksdwarf died from infection today.  I assume she was injured fighting the giant cave spider.  That makes four military dwarves dead during my rule.  It also means if you’re in the military and your name is not Shipcat, your survival chances for more than one year are about 50%.

4 Obsidian 51

Due to poor planning on my part, part of the tower collapsed.  Luckily it was only a minor setback and no dwarves were seriously harmed (well, one dwarf’s legs were “torn into loose shreds,” but I don’t consider that very serious).

Also, we were attacked by a cave crocodile, but Shipcat killed it before it hurt anybody.

1 Granite 52

The queen spoke with me today.  Apparently, she disproved of my “poor decisions which led to the death of half our military” among other things.  She told me to step down as overseer of the tower.  She would put someone else in charge.

I begged for her forgiveness but she stood firm in her decision.  As a message to the next overseer: please add more wealth to the queen’s rooms.  They are almost up to her standards, but not quite.

Other than the queen’s quarters, the top floor is a new mason’s workshop, with stockpiles for both stone and blocks.

Praise be to Queen Splashcrafted!  May she live long and prosper!

-----

So a pretty boring year.  Other than the queen dying and being replaced, nothing really happened.  Endlessblaze has been dorfed as a farmer, the last free dorf from the starting seven.

Also, a note about the FPS.  It is insane.  I could be cruising along at 100 fps, then it suddenly shoots down to 20, then back up to 70 ten seconds later.  The average seems to be around 85-90, so nothing horrible.  If you don’t like it, you will need to kill any birds that arrive right away, because they will lag your game down.  Closing off the caverns could also stabilize it.

Good luck!  Save is here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11043
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 08, 2015, 07:24:23 pm »

Uneventful turn, but great writing as usual. There's a lot of hilarious and quotable parts in there. Question: ive never dealt with civilisations being dead excep us. Should we expect migrants, or  cherish every dwarf we currently have?

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 08, 2015, 07:30:48 pm »

The civ itself isn't dead. There are other places to immigrate from that are still alive and functioning. Right now it's no different than if the queen immigrated to the fortress due to our wealth. Now if every dwarven site falls, I'm not sure, but we will still receive migrants for now.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 08, 2015, 07:31:47 pm »

Alright, my turn! I'll get on it as soon as I get home this evening.
EDIT: Does anyone want their dwarves' profiles posted when I get the chance?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:37:27 pm by DDDragoni »
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 08, 2015, 08:18:35 pm »

My profile hasnt been posted yet I believe. Im mostly interested to know if I have a family...

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 08, 2015, 08:22:43 pm »

Yes, I would like to know if my dwarf was the one who got her legs shredded.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 08, 2015, 10:45:06 pm »

It also means if you’re in the military and your name is not Shipcat, your survival chances for more than one year are about 50%.

Well, the obvious solution would be to rename all of the Military after Shipcat then. :P Though honestly I'm pleasantly surprised to see that I did not just keel over and die from the GCS.
(Also I noticed I'm naked except for equipping a shield and an axe. I'd imagine Shipcat goes about her business using the shield to conceal the naughty bits. THE SHAME.)

Also, I for one appreciate all of the support Bearskie has been giving to ensure the building of a firm foundation for our glorious empire.

Yes, I would like to know if my dwarf was the one who got her legs shredded.

Well, a cursory look over the unit list reveals that none of those that are dorfed are physically injured. Mental trauma though...
Spoiler: DDDragoni, the broker (click to show/hide)

I had time to pore over the map, so here are some observations and wholly unnecessary recommendations.

Recommendations:

- Build MORE blocks. A SHIT TON OF BLOCKS. You will need it.
- From what I can tell, there are breaches in the passageways to the caverns and magma sea. Floor them over or build upstairs over them. I'll leave the overseers to discover exactly where all the dralthas are originating from.
- Would recommend replacing the doors that separate us from the caverns with a bridge or wall. Lest you want more FUN with giant building destroyers.
- For the sake of those that would get terrified from corpses and such (traders, dwarves), I would recommend forbidding all the sentients and vermin from being allowed in our refuse stockpile and dump all the sentient corpses manually in the magma sea instead.

I think I'm beginning to like my dwarf already. I think I will dig into Legends next to see if I can spot anything interesting, though given only 50 odd years of history, i don't think there will be any interesting lineages or relations established just yet.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 11:26:35 pm by Zuglarkun »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 66