- 0 (0%)
End
- 0 (0%)
This!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 07, 2015, 06:46:40 am

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 66

Author Topic: // Fall of the Succession Tower: Constructivory \\  (Read 259603 times)

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: // The Succession Tower: Constructivory \\
« Reply #270 on: August 20, 2015, 08:28:12 pm »

2nd Obsidian

Something quite unexpected has happend as i wrap up my stint as overseer, and I'm not exactly sure what to do about it.

I don't know if this is relevant, but a couple of weeks ago:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And then today:

Followed by:

Was it an accident? Was it intentional? It's not usual for me t'be speechless, but I really don't know how to react to this.

When I asked the others if they saw anything

And took a good look at the mace

I talked to Ragustongith:

No one else seemed to know much about the sparring victim

...really not sure what to believe here. I'll just be glad to finish up my final month on the job, write up my final report, and pass the buck torch to someone else.

OOC: I seriously have no idea what happened. I got the alert message, and this is the best I've been able to puzzle out.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 20, 2015, 08:37:53 pm »

I finally found another witness who was able to tell me what happened:

I've suspended sparring practice until the situation can be addressed.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 08:41:56 pm by MobRules »
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 20, 2015, 09:26:04 pm »

Well... there goes that one. Apparently I'm just as cursed as RedMageCole.

It could be because of the infamous military dodging through walls glitch... in that case, the barracks area has to be downsized to not go near the tower's edge, or the walls reinforced by double layer walls.

Aw well, what a shame. :'(

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 20, 2015, 09:30:39 pm »

Well... there goes that one. Apparently I'm just as cursed as RedMageCole.

It could be because of the infamous military dodging through walls glitch... in that case, the barracks area has to be downsized to not go near the tower's edge, or the walls reinforced by double layer walls.

Aw well, what a shame. :'(
Yeah, I really liked what you were doing with the character, and hated having that storyline cut short :(.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 20, 2015, 09:48:35 pm »

Yeah, I really liked what you were doing with the character, and hated having that storyline cut short :(.
Or rather, splattered.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 22, 2015, 09:07:57 am »

General Notes, before posting my final entry:
  • "Lord Brassroast" Abanestun is a legendary mechanic
  • Sorry for the slowdown at the end -- real life got a lot more demanding, and I sort of lost steam.
  • We've still got a bunch of adamantium burning a hole in our pocket.
  • Spring has arrived, so I'm working on my final post now. It should be up shortly.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 10:02:54 am by MobRules »

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 22, 2015, 10:00:20 am »

1st Granite, Year 54

So, my year as overseer is complete. It's all someone else's problem now.

Luna

Soap: We have soap! I finally got the lyemaker to make some lye, and thus soap was finally made.

Well: We have no well, because the ice beneath the one built by the previous overseer didn't thaw out all summer long. I tried to build a new one one space over, since there was liquid water that was still underground and now there was a roof over the spot where the new well would be, but as soon as I canneled away the earth above it, the liquid water froze:

Moving Everything to the Tower

Noble Rooms

Construction

The summer human caravan freaked out and left when they saw the remnants of our "goblin" "seige", (and the other dwarves weren't to keen on seeing all the bodies either), so I created a separate refuse pile for sapients, and walled it off:

(save to be posted shortly!)

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 22, 2015, 10:10:19 am »

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11071

(Oh, I also expanded agriculture a bit. Forgot to do images of those.)

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 22, 2015, 10:24:52 am »

Well: We have no well, because the ice beneath the one built by the previous overseer didn't thaw out all summer long. I tried to build a new one one space over, since there was liquid water that was still underground and now there was a roof over the spot where the new well would be, but as soon as I canneled away the earth above it, the liquid water froze:

Well: Built a roof over the top of the well, 'cause a well ain't much use if it's frozen. Still hasn't thawed yet, even had the miners mine it out, but it just remained ice. Hopefully now that summer's here it will finally thaw out, and hopefully the roof will keep it from freezing next year.

It doesn't matter what construction you make. The tile has been exposed to the open sky at some point, so the game will always consider it to be outside from now on. The only way to secure a ice-free well is to build a second, underground one, or pump magma all the way up from the magma sea to a reservoir 2 z-levels below the well you have now, with the magma-heated water stored on the level above that.

On the bright side, if you do build a magma pump stack, that's most of the work for a magma cannon done. Just make sure to power that stack with windmills or something instead of actual dwarves - it would take the entire workforce and the pathing lag would be fairly ridiculous.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 22, 2015, 12:21:55 pm »

Nice work ;). The tower looks plenty industrious by now. Thanks for finishing the turn even with all the real life stuff going on; I know how stressful that shit can be. Also the save was still in CLA, so I took the liberty of converting it back to ASCII for the next turn's immediate convenience.

ASCII version

Next up in the saga: uber pye takes over Constructivory! So many spooky deaths so far - I'm pretty sure we're either haunted or there's a serial killer in our midst.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 12:42:55 pm by Bearskie »

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 22, 2015, 02:30:08 pm »

It doesn't matter what construction you make. The tile has been exposed to the open sky at some point, so the game will always consider it to be outside from now on. The only way to secure a ice-free well is to build a second, underground one, or pump magma all the way up from the magma sea to a reservoir 2 z-levels below the well you have now, with the magma-heated water stored on the level above that.

On the bright side, if you do build a magma pump stack, that's most of the work for a magma cannon done. Just make sure to power that stack with windmills or something instead of actual dwarves - it would take the entire workforce and the pathing lag would be fairly ridiculous.

Yes, but the second tile has NEVER been exposed to sky. It was still underground when I built a roof over the well; I didn't think that chaneling the dirt out from above it AFTER I built the roof would cause it to freeze. (Also note that I'm not the one that built the original well)

Also the save was still in CLA, so I took the liberty of converting it back to ASCII for the next turn's immediate convenience.

ASCII version

Oops, sorry about that (I had the nagging feeling that I was forgetting something...) thanks for fixing it :)

Oh yeah, there was one other thing I wanted to mention -- I set up glass furnaces and was trying to get pipes and corkscrews made for a magma furnace, but it didn't get very far. (First, I kept running out of charcoal, then it got kind of pushed to the background as I scrambled to finish other things up.) Actually, I'm not sure if the glass furnaces are still there; they might have gotten lost in some of the reshuffling.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 02:34:52 pm by MobRules »

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 22, 2015, 03:38:43 pm »

Yes, but the second tile has NEVER been exposed to sky. It was still underground when I built a roof over the well; I didn't think that chaneling the dirt out from above it AFTER I built the roof would cause it to freeze. (Also note that I'm not the one that built the original well)

This means that the tile you channeled out counted as light/above ground, thus making the newly exposed tile below light/above ground, and therefore frozen. The mechanics for lighting and above/below ground monitoring don't account for constructions at all - the ceiling might as well not even be there as far as the oddly specific freezing rules are concerned. It's an understandable mistake to make, don't worry too much about it.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 22, 2015, 07:51:44 pm »

Journal of DDDragoni Floordrink, Investigator and broker of Constructivory

The goblins must have thought their little infiltrator was more effective than they were, since they had the nerve to attack.

But they were no match for the brave fighting dwarves of Constructivory!

Unless... This must have been a scouting force, meant to test our defenses!

Now that they know where our strengths and weaknesses are, the traitor is going to target them!

I must redouble my efforts before something bad happens!

Later...

Something bad happened.

Luna fell from the tower during training. I examined the training room myself, and the walls and floor are both solid.

This is worse than I thought- not only is there a traitor in our midst, there's a reality-warping traitor!

That explains the well, too. By all accounts it should have thawed during the summer, but it remained frozen.

This is even bigger than I thought...

At least the Overseer knows what he's doing. With everything inside, we'll be much more defensible. I can't believe I didn't think of it...
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Dumbestdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Silly small person
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 23, 2015, 04:09:22 am »

Regarding Luna's unfortunate demise, it might be a good idea to build a second, inner wall on the soldier's training floor, with doors so soldiers who teleport through the wall can get back inside. (The better they get, the more likely they are to do that; also, they're quite capable of sending an unfortunate passerby through the wall as well).

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #284 on: August 23, 2015, 04:51:50 am »

i didnt know dwarfs could use the power of the warp.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 66