- 0 (0%)
End
- 0 (0%)
This!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 07, 2015, 06:46:40 am

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 66

Author Topic: // Fall of the Succession Tower: Constructivory \\  (Read 259606 times)

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: // The Succession Tower: Constructivory \\
« Reply #360 on: September 16, 2015, 09:01:15 am »

So, in both instances, TheCheeseMaker's avatar died to his mortal enemy - water.

Dang. Again?  At least this time I actually died to something that we're actually expected to die to.  This time, find the dwarf with the highest swimming skill, and dorf him as Michael Phelps.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 17, 2015, 11:37:56 am »

PSA: Incase your secret project involves starting a metalworking industry, a reminder: the magma has to come to the tower, not the tower going to the magma. In other words, even our smelters and metalworking workshops must be above-ground.

To be honest, I have no idea what to do with it yet (Its one of those cases where aesthetics > function). Initially, I was thinking to convert it into a seed/ food storage area, or perhaps a barracks. But those might be quite redundant. So its up in the air as of now. Taking suggestions!

Speaking on the subject of magma, quick question. Which part of the map is not covered by the aquifer? I could probably go prospecting to find a spot where we can dig the magma pipeline straight down into the magma sea. Though I'm afraid that at the moment, we lack the parts (sand) necessary to make a pimpstack. I'll need to (1) lead an expedition into the caverns to uncover more parts of the map, and our military is not quite up to par. Then, there is the part where (2) I'm terrified of the aquifers.

EDIT: Michael Phelps is dorfed. Unfortunately, the best swimmer among us is actually Dumbestdorf whom is a skilled swimmer. Next highest is only a novice swimmer.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:46:41 am by Zuglarkun »

Dumbestdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Silly small person
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 17, 2015, 01:37:32 pm »

(1) lead an expedition into the caverns to uncover more parts of the map, and our military is not quite up to par.

When I need to do that on my own fortresses, being a coward and all, I tend to do either "ceiling exploration" or "fortification exploration" (both methods are slow, the latter being less risky but slower). Basically just dig tunnels to the edge of unexplored areas from above (or the side, respectively), then dig a downward staircase and have it floored over immediately (or smooth the wall then carve a fortification, resp.). No military required, although it's really time-consuming and requires quite a lot of micro-management.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 17, 2015, 08:14:25 pm »

(1) lead an expedition into the caverns to uncover more parts of the map, and our military is not quite up to par.

What excuse is this?! *enraged* Back in TheCheeseMaker's reign, we threw every military dwarf into harm's way, and we bloody well liked it.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 17, 2015, 09:06:28 pm »

What excuse is this?! *enraged* Back in TheCheeseMaker's reign, we threw every military dwarf into harm's way, and we bloody well liked it.
This kind of attitude is precisely why I built The House Of Balls Chicken, and lined it with 3 rows of Traps.  If any of our current Dorfs would like to apply for protection in its' Burrow, I will consider offers.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 17, 2015, 09:24:36 pm »

I used to build entire forts in the caverns, with nothing more annoying than a pack of crundles.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 18, 2015, 09:58:52 am »

So, I booted up DF to check. Turns out much of the caverns are already explored. *facepalm* Whoops! Seems like I won't need to send an expedition after all.

Judging from the tiles in the mining tunnels, seems like the non-aquifer part of the map is located in the South West corner near the snow covered winding pass. Can't tell for certain. Trying to find a spot where I can just dig a straight tunnel down to the magma sea, near a pocket of magma that borders the edge of the map. If I don't have to dig into the caverns, all the better.

Time for some exploratory mining! Meanwhile, I'll get the sand collecting started ASAP so we can get started on the pump parts right away. Plans for the year are bedrooms for everyone, get started on metalworking industry as well as suicide proof barracks within the tower. Expect an update sometime tomorrow or the day after.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 18, 2015, 10:01:31 am »

Why are aquifers an issue in a freezing biome?

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 18, 2015, 11:37:02 am »

Why are aquifers an issue in a freezing biome?

Good point. Me dumb. :( I'll leave it to someone else to tackle, just not confident in my aquifer piercing skills.

EDIT: holy shit, I take back what I said about the military being not quite up to par.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:38:24 pm by Zuglarkun »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 19, 2015, 03:18:01 am »

Don't keep me hanging - who the heck died now?

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 20, 2015, 01:37:19 am »

Shipcat's Log - 55. 1st Granite

Here are the stock counts for the end of the year 54.

I was having a grand ol' time training the Wild Boar man to dance for my enjoyment when I received a note from the mayor. It read thus -

Dear Shipcat,

The Grand Council has decided that despite being coerced into your current position of authority, you have performed admirably as the temporary Overseer. So it is with great pleasure that we announce that you shall continue with your official duties as Overseer for the foreseeable future!

Your Mayor,
Ducim Godenoltar

P.S. See if you can install some forges in the tower, and also mine for more adamantine. The Queen demands it.

Well looks like I'll have to keep on going then.

In accordance with the Queen's directives, I made preparations to jump start a metalworking industry. Let's see, we'll need glass pump parts don't we? I'll put out orders for a sand pit to be dug.
Spoiler: sand pit (click to show/hide)

As for the adamantine, I have plans.
Spoiler: Plans (click to show/hide)

We'll also need to dig a pumpstack to fit those pump parts into. But to be honest, I'm deathly afraid of puncturing the aquifer, I remember what happened to TheCheeseMaker. Us dwarves feel more at home with some solid ground under our feet, not floundering in water.

3rd Granite 55

6th Granite 55

Spoiler: Goden is injured (click to show/hide)

Goden, suffering from a cut hand checks himself into the hospital. Iden's diagnosis says that Goden is suffering from some nerve damage in his left hand, his weapon hand. Meanwhile, Deler makes use of the newly constructed well to haul some water to clean Goden's wounds with some of our last remaining soap. Kadol comes in to suture the wounds shut, Gwolfski finishes the job by dressing the wound.

Spoiler: Recovery! (click to show/hide)

In the meantime, I'm mobilizing everyone to clear up the corpses on the Slopes of Slaughter. I decide to take some of the more unhappy dwarves out from refuse duty. We have enough problems on our hands as it is.

Spoiler: Taupe? (click to show/hide)

What's this? Taupe has constructed a masterpiece airlock! With some micromanagement, Sanju should now be able to perform her duties in case she wants to.

13th Granite 55

15th Granite 55

Spoiler: Taupe? (click to show/hide)

She claims one of the Mason workshops and instead of picking up one of the nearby rocks, she scrambles into the Mayors room to claim one of the gold nuggets Ducim has hoarded.

16th Granite 55

Taupe hauls the gold nugget into the workshop a level below and works furiously on a mysterious construction!

18th Granite 55

I had DDDragoni trade away our stock of arrows since we can't really expect to use them over the long term. Next up on the to trade list is a bunch of large socks and sandals. The less crap lying around the better I say! DDDragoni purchased a bunch of fruit as well as a grizzly bear and a giant leopard. Unfortunately we don't have a breeding pair of the majestic cats. I ordered these new arrivals trained for war.

Speaking of animals, They are gonna quickly get out of hand if we don't do something about them soon. Since there is little space in the tower to put them, they are liable to get picked off by enemies in the event that the perimeter is breached. I ordered some of the pastoral types to be slaughtered. Better to get some meat out of them now before they get despoiled by the enemy. I also had the badgers neutered. Too many of them running about without a care in the world, as badgers are apt to do.

20th Granite 55

Reg Lolokkulin bestows upon his copper spear the name Kurolelis - Embracedthins, with 5 kills to its name.

21st Granite 55

Spoiler: Taupe's Creation (click to show/hide)

Taupe steps out of the masons workshop.

"I shall name you Greensilence the Tiredness of Melting!", she boldly exclaims.

Wow, quite a piece of work. DDDragoni estimates its value to be around 72000 Urists.

3rd Slate 55

Its a bird, no its a roc, its Sanju! Sanju has broken free! Before I knew what was going on, Sanju rushed out from her secret lair and made a beeline straight for Adil to dispense some dwarven justice.

Spoiler: Dwarven Justice (click to show/hide)

After rendering Adil unconscious with a swift beating, Sanju wanders off to try to procure some top secret superheroine equipment (backpack and food supplies). By my powers as Overseer, I quickly took charge of the situation and ordered Sanju back to her secret lair.

Spoiler: Bad Sanju! Bad! (click to show/hide)

6th Slate 55

Spoiler: Rumblings in the Deep (click to show/hide)

18th Slate 55

We have finally become the mountainhome! The Queens entourage of *one* has arrived.

Finally, the outpost liaison has arrived to join us in this last refuge against all external threats. Welcome to your stay at Constructivory Zefon Doorpassage!

6th Felsite 55

I have made some headway into securing access to water down in the third cavern level, this will ensure we can obtain the adamantine veins that are submerged in magma I hope.

8th Felsite 55

I had some dwarves investigate.

Spoiler: Investigation (click to show/hide)

Looks like someone got splashed by magma mist while dumping troll corpses. I ordered a slab to be carved in her memory.

Spoiler: Rest in Peace (click to show/hide)

22nd Felsite 55

Concentrating on getting floors done on the upper levels. I will need them for the new bedrooms for the general populace as well as a private suite for the newly arrived outpost liaison.

25th Felsite 55

The barracks extension is almost ready. The double thick walls should make it sabotage proof I hope.

Spoiler: Double thick walls (click to show/hide)

27th Felsite 55

Finally, managed to cremate all the damn bodies. Being a Overseer is busy work! So many things that require my attention! Hopefully I am getting better at this gig now.

It is now summer.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:58:18 am by Zuglarkun »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 20, 2015, 02:38:23 am »

What was Adil's crime?

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 20, 2015, 03:01:26 am »

What was Adil's crime?

You standard fare violation of production order. Mayor likes her trinkets.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:59:14 am by Zuglarkun »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 20, 2015, 09:52:29 am »

I'm really proud of the goblins in this world. No namby pansy oh-we-can't-pathfind-towards-your-settlement excuses - straight up sends a HUGE siege of size 100+ in year 5. To be fair, I think that's the largest siege I've seen yet in DF2014. You did well to attack them quickly before they could muster up the full army; otherwise it would have been a hellish fight.

Lets see if I have the time to sneak in a journal...

Also, my thoughts were basically "Noooooooooooooooooooo!!" when you released Sanju. This ain't gonna end well.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 10:00:52 am by Bearskie »

Vortex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 20, 2015, 11:19:56 am »

How, praytell, did I do in the last battle? :)
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 66