- 0 (0%)
End
- 0 (0%)
This!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 07, 2015, 06:46:40 am

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 66

Author Topic: // Fall of the Succession Tower: Constructivory \\  (Read 259716 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: // The Succession Tower: Constructivory \\
« Reply #495 on: October 28, 2015, 07:38:08 am »

Had to grab dinner just now. So...

Listen, I'm trying really hard not to be a hard-ass about this. I believe that you were only using it during the siege. If you were using it the whole time, there would be alot more things completed for starters. You built a bunch of walls and some rooms, finished up the magma pumpstack. That seems quite accurate for a season's worth of work.

But the no. 1 rule of succession games is that you do not screw with the save. You can screw with the dwarves all you want, you can screw with the fortress but you never touch the save. Not because of save corruption, but because at the start we had all agreed on one way to play this game -- vanilla. It doesn't matter whether you make the game easier or harder. It only matters when you are playing a different game than all the other overseers.

I get that some players may not enjoy chaos and discord as much as I do, and like to hedge their bets. Players can play however they like in a succession fort. But that right does not extend to modifying the game directly, whether via raw-editing or DFhack. Sorry Gwolfski, I don't enjoy this either, but I can't recommend moving forward with the current save.

Heretic, that means you'll be using Japa's save. You okay with that?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 28, 2015, 08:31:13 am »

Live and learn man, it happens :)  A few tips when dealing with a siege you are otherwise unprepared for:

1. Lock Dwarves in the Dining Hall and build walls at the entrance, they can last a good few months without beds.
2. Check the Weapon/Armor stockpiles.  If there is a lot of spare, just start drafting peasants with the Uniform 'Metal Armor' and 'Individual Choice Weapon'
3. Remember, there will always be another Fortress.  Losing is inevitable !FUN! ;)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 28, 2015, 08:42:01 am »

I wasn't prepared for the siege either, but just sending out who we had worked well enough.

That said, Heretic, you may want to start training up more troops.

Regarding mods, I used Workflow a bit during my play. Does that make my save void as well?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 28, 2015, 09:19:19 am »

The question is whether the mod does something that vanilla cannot do. Workflow and Therapist only serve simplify certain functions of the game. I can still assign labours without Therapist, and I can still manage my stock levels without Workflow.

I cannot spur my dwarves to suddenly move twice as fast -- at least not in vanilla.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 28, 2015, 09:48:51 am »

So many good succession games going.  Still catching up on reading for now. 

Hatches are unbreakable from below, I would think it would be easy to turtle being a tower.
And no one made an 10x10 retracting bridge that drop tons of stone blocks onto a 10x10 baited siege room yet? :)

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 28, 2015, 10:46:11 am »

I doubted the competence of our military before, and I was proven wrong. I feel that sometimes you just got to do the right dwarfy thing, and trust your beards not to fuck things up.

I follow this principle: When in doubt, do the thing that most likely ends up with you (1) overcoming the odds like a magnificent bastard or (2) falling flat on your face in dramatic fashion.

Whichever way it ends up, it would still make for an awesome narrative.

To the next in line to be Overseer:

Aside from architectural feats and whatever personal touches you might want to add, you'll want to continue working on the magma pumpstack. Make charcoal, make glass blocks, glass pipes and glass corkscrews and keep working on it gradually from the bottom. Access to magma will really open up more options in terms of our defenses. I'd also designated an area for a water generator on my turn that you might want to look into if you're interested in taking on the challenge. Just a suggestion if you don't have any ideas of your own to pursue.

Personally, I'll really like to see more prisoners fed to our resident werebeast for interrogation.

Ok, I'm here...probadly I really busy now and this fact don't make my bad English better, so my reports will be cryptic and short...but i'm sure that turn will be intresting
P.s. I need some time to read pages that i skipped

Don't worry about your grasp of English, updates are always welcome :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 08:25:45 pm by Zuglarkun »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 29, 2015, 08:33:35 am »

Don't worry about your grasp of English, updates are always welcome :)

Seconded! When will you be starting, Heretic?

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 30, 2015, 01:02:10 pm »

Don't panic guys, I'm right here. Delay is caused by university hometasks and else by playing in russion community game...
But today i will start.
I hope you are okey with that i don't read previous wall of text really carefully - have no time for it. After all problems ends i will surely do it, but not now.

First report

Fath(to congregation of oveerseers): Our home is in terrible condition... We have not enough military, fortress design is silly(my great idea of tower is in dangerous), we have no good armor, not enough good weapons, etc, etc... and noone executes my orders!!!
[the silence in the hall]
Fath: Has anyone any ideas???!
[the long silence in the hall, hacking cough]
Heretic(quiet): I think all this tasks are simple. Most of us just stuipid.
Fath:(to Heretic): That did you said?
Heretic(audibly): I think i can solve this problems, if you order.
Fath: I ORDER!!!!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 01:37:14 pm by Heretic »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 30, 2015, 08:29:33 pm »

Heretic(quiet): I think all this tasks are simple. Most of us just stuipid..

Hehe.

Just want to make sure you download the right save then. Use Japa's one, not Gwolfski's. Its linked on the first post. :)

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 31, 2015, 12:44:19 am »

Heretic(quiet): I think all this tasks are simple. Most of us just stuipid..

Hehe.

Just want to make sure you download the right save then. Use Japa's one, not Gwolfski's. Its linked on the first post. :)
OOC: I'm use Japa save. And alse... phrase about stuipid it's just from character, i meant i don't thinl so.

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 31, 2015, 03:48:24 am »

Report 2

Heretic(to congregation of oveerseers and Fath): Okey, Lets start. Firstly, short overviev of fortress.
You told me that we have not enough military? I tell you that we have one hundred idlers! Do you understand me?

Now about military and stuipid defence design... The best solution for tower are marksdwarwes, but we have only four marksdwarves and no any good postion for shooting downward from tower!!!
Also we have a lot of captured weapons: crossbows, scourages, whips... Why we don't use it? And why marksdwarwes use leather armor, but not metal? Why we have so few metal armor, especeally legwears and footwears?

And this "Road" -- it's speial target for goblin's arhers? "Shoot us, we will dodge and fall". I will redesign it.
OOC: And its terrible for FPS, really.

Fath: you promised to raise the Tower!!!
Heretic: I wil do it, but now don't bother me!

Okey, now here newbies marksdwarves sqad:

And just now we under attak!!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 04:11:28 am by Heretic »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 31, 2015, 07:16:39 am »

The only reason everybody is uauusing that road is because the bridge isn't rebuilt yet.

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 31, 2015, 09:19:03 am »

The Cyclop was killed easily:

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 31, 2015, 09:40:16 pm »

It was probably about time we got a military man in to overseer this place. Our dakka shall block out the suuuuuun!

Taupe, RedMageCole, should I postpone your turns down the line again?

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 01, 2015, 06:08:49 am »

Report 3
Firstly, I would say, i finished upgrade of  road beetween Casa De Pallo and Main Tower.
Also,after the destruction of the Cyclops, that marked the successful start the reign, i desided to give pathetic name to my sword.
After much deliberation, I settled on "Mebzuthlolum"
Also there is elven caravan. I order to sell them some gold crafts, but DDragoni wanted to sell luxury statue dedicated to the wars with goblins. Of course I forbade.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 66