- 0 (0%)
End
- 0 (0%)
This!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 07, 2015, 06:46:40 am

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 66

Author Topic: // Fall of the Succession Tower: Constructivory \\  (Read 259585 times)

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: // The Succession Tower: Constructivory \\
« Reply #600 on: January 02, 2016, 09:40:28 pm »

Not pictured in the above account:

- All the gruntwork that went into looking over the fortress and designating undesignating stuff before I even began the turn.
- Mass forbidding all the crap on the northwest end when the siege arrived so that the haulers which were already en route would not pick them up.
- The utter panic I felt when trying to save the citizens from the FB, also the cancel 'pull lever' job and resume 'pull lever' job spam to time things just right. I had the military gather in the alcove above in case things went south in the evacuation.
- The utter despair when upon felling one FB, another announced its arrival. I thought the game was out to get troll me at that moment.
- Waiting and waiting and waiting some more for Tath to notice the tunnel, just so I could avoid engaging it in battle on the flaming cavern floor above. The architects and masons were too busy with the pumpstack to bother with the wall construction.

I fear I may not be able to get my turn done before the 2 weeks are through, been doing OT. I'll try my best though.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 02, 2016, 09:42:10 pm »

I've ordered our former citizens to be respectfully buried. The inner bridge also laid broken in shambles, so I ordered it reconstructed. It won't do to have the ENTIRE FORT traffic through Immortal-D's bedroom.
I lol'd :)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 02, 2016, 11:51:44 pm »

Exciting events, huzzah! Barad-dur was the part that made me lol. :P I'm personally okay with you going over the 2-week limit, so long there is consistent progress going on. Sounds like there has been.

Fyi, my alternate universe Constructivory fared even worse than DDDragoni's. Suffice to say, some made it into the tower... it kinda all went downhill from there. Anddd ladies and gentlemen, this is why we need martial rule.

There’s a battle outside by the looks of it. Sounds like a big one. The reason I can’t just go over to the window and check is because I’ve got a bleedin’ patient lying here in front of me – all in the most literal sense of the word, and he’s spurting out blood from his arteries like a pressurized screw pump. I lean over, trying to get the attention of the CMO a couple of beds away.

“Chief! He’s bleeding out for goddamn’s sake. Would really appreciate, I dunno, a hand or something? Maybe a diagnosis?”
“What seems to be the problem?” yelled the CMO over the din of battle.
“Blood. Blood everywhere.”
“Heck, sow him up then. Use soap!”
“I’m a dabbling surgeon, you git! What happens if I puncture a lung or something?”
“Then we’ll be one dwarf down out of two hundred. Best way to learn!” he cackled madly.

Learning. Nothing good ever came out of it. I sprinted to the medical chest and rummaged through for supplies. Needle. Soap. Alcohol. Water. Thr- where’s the bleedin’ thread call ourselves a hospi-

Ah, thread.

I rushed over to my patient. Threaded the needle with shaking hands, or at least I tried to. Poured alcohol over the open wound. Took a swig myself. Finally managed to get the thread into the needle; it glowed with a faint blue light.

“I hope you have insurance, pal.”

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 03, 2016, 12:59:09 am »

1, Sign me up.

2, I think you might have just used adamantine thread.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 03, 2016, 06:53:23 am »

Reading back some, I noticed I haven't yet dorfed some folks. Oops.

Namely:
- nomoetoe
- Vortex
- Iliithid
- Hiddenleafguy

Hiddenleafguy and nomoetoe are both miners now, taking the place of Erush Kibasol the miner and Ilral Kilrukadol the miner respectively. Whilst Iliithid is now a member of the military, taking the place of one of our top undorfed killers; Dumat Muteletter the Contained Depression of Counselling, a Spearmaster. Vortex is once again taking the place of someone that starts with "V", which is Vabok Nokimsosh the weaver, whom I will also be drafting into the military soon. Let me know if there are any particular requirements you would like for your characters and such, and I will try my best to accommodate them while I am able.

Would you like a dorf also chaotic skies?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 03, 2016, 07:30:42 am »

Whilst Iliithid is now a member of the military, taking the place of one of our top undorfed killers; Dumat Muteletter the Contained Depression of Counselling

Ah. That guy.

Immense thanks to Zuglarkun for finally getting those dorfings done, and a deep apology to those who have waited so long. :(

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 03, 2016, 12:16:36 pm »

Sure, dorf me if you want. I expect to be dead, because everytime I dorf myself, I usually end up getting trapped somewhere and starving to death.

This game hates me.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 06, 2016, 10:32:10 am »

Playing out the rest of summer, its been slow going but progress is being made steadily. This is just to let you folks know, so I don't get the pitchfork and burning torches treatment :-X So in lieu of an update, here's a poll to occupy yourselves with.

The latest death(s) in ConstructIvory was due to:

- Overseer negligence
- Aquifer flooding
- Syndrome bearing Forgotten Beast(s)
- A gremlin pulling that one lever.
- A mob of vengeful dwarves
- Sanju delivering 'justice'
- 20z-level Towercat collapsing due to goblin sabotage and taking out Cassa de Pallo in the process.
- All of the above, plus magma.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:33:41 am by Zuglarkun »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 06, 2016, 11:09:04 am »

I optimistically went to update the poll according to your suggestion. Then realised apparently once a poll is 'closed', it can never be reopened again. :(

Going for the mob. Who doesn't like a good mob?

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 07, 2016, 02:31:11 am »

Playing out the rest of summer, its been slow going but progress is being made steadily. This is just to let you folks know, so I don't get the pitchfork and burning torches treatment :-X So in lieu of an update, here's a poll to occupy yourselves with.

The latest death(s) in ConstructIvory was due to:

- Overseer negligence
- Aquifer flooding
- Syndrome bearing Forgotten Beast(s)
- A gremlin pulling that one lever.
- A mob of vengeful dwarves
- Sanju delivering 'justice'
- 20z-level Towercat collapsing due to goblin sabotage and taking out Cassa de Pallo in the process.
- All of the above, plus magma.

Let's see, in order:
-Almost certainly,
-Difficult to do accidentally but possible
-A distinct possibility
-May have caused the above
-Loyalty cascade? Or over-zealous attacks? Perhaps on that FB?
-pretty likely due to the tantrums
-I knew it! This was their plan all along! The aquifer breaching could have caused this but otherwise unlikely, from what I remember Towercat and Casa de Pollo had pretty solid bases.
-Well we are working on a magma pipeline...

I'll take option H, all of the above.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 08, 2016, 08:08:18 pm »

Overseer Shipcat's Log - Summer

After the events of last season, some of the military dwarves have taken titles to their name. You are all familiar with Inod Phantomstakes the Mysterious Skin, barehanded killer of 2 forgotten beasts? well now meet Heretic Speartorches the New Beans. Others have instead chosen to take new names altogether; Dumat the Contained Depression of Counseling has fancied calling himself Iliithid, and one of our sworddwarves has taken on the name of chaoticskies. Elsewhere, a pair of miners took up the names of nomoetoe II and Hiddenleafguy II, in honor of their former brethren and one of the weavers has fancied naming themselves after our former military commander, settling on the name of Vortex II. Now, I have little knowledge of dwarven naming conventions, but they got me to preside over the renaming ceremony anyway. I suppose the presence of an authority figure legitimizes all this as prim and proper behavior, but what do I know?

1st Hematite 58
At my behest, Pyrotechno has obtained access to our scarce steel supplies and has continued practicing his craft, making another masterpiece steel short sword for our armory.
Spoiler: Phat loot (click to show/hide)
I think I will place an order for more shiny gear to complement the rise in my military rank since my previous Overseership. Got to reap the benefits right? Also, that swimming pool Japa made? Don't tell him that the folks around here are using it as a public bath.
Spoiler: Public bath (click to show/hide)

10th Hematite 58
Spoiler: When crundles attack (click to show/hide)
I have received word that crundles are interrupting the wood hauling operation going on in the third cavern, menacing our armorer Inod. But obok the woodcutter and cerol the spinner are having none of this nonsense and soon put a stop to that.
Cerol takes some wounds in the ensuing scuffle but the threat is contained. Bravo! Fath our queen has decided to take it upon herself to rescue poor cerol whom has quite recovered from her ordeal with the crundle.

Since last season, I have learned that we are very much exposed to danger as long as we remain open to the caverns to exploit the riches therein, so I ordered The Innocent Towns to station at the cavern gates to deal with any lingering threats. The squad reports that though numerous, most of the crundles seem to actively avoid any combat, scampering away in fear when dwarves approach close by. I am not convinced that this is entirely true.

13th Hematite 58
My suspicions were proved correct as more crundles issued from their abode to menace our haulers. Chaoticskies arrives on the scene and immediately takes out a nearby crundle.
Endlessblaze arrives shortly after and they begin clearing out the crundle infestation. Meanwhile a crundle retaliates in fear but Fikod the planter engages the beast in a wrestling match; the crundle taps out because it is too far from the bottom rope.

Endlessblaze and chaoticskies show little mercy towards the crundles, cornering them methodically and wiping them out one by one. Meanwhile, Zefon finally comes along to construct the gate I wanted that would separate the 3rd and 2nd caverns.
Spoiler: All goes as planned (click to show/hide)

I'll get mcbarsky to link up the construction, I just hope he doesn't run into any crundles or worst.
Spoiler: Solo mission (click to show/hide)

A cornered crundle, decides to take a swipe at Michael Phelps, but alas Michael Phelps decides to retaliate with the bronze pick in her hand. The results are not pretty, for the crundle that is.
Dodok, another of our miners is also accosted by a crundle, with predictable results.

We now have dead crundle corpses stinking up the joint here in the 3rd caverns.

Meanwhile, I am busy supervising the construction of the magma pumpstack. The mechanics have told me that the speediest way to go about doing this is to mass construct all the pumps at once, but leave them in a suspended state before the masons arrive to put the pieces into place. The wonders of dwarven science!
Spoiler: Dwarven science! (click to show/hide)

16th Hematite 58
Spoiler: We have visitors (click to show/hide)
The crundle hunt continues, but I was notified that the human caravan for this season has arrived right on schedule. I'll get the dregs hauling, I'm eager to bolster our iron supplies. Besides, stuff needs rejiggering around here.

The Innocent Towns report that hungry heads and magma crabs are duking it out in the 3rd cavern, though no one is hurt at the moment. It seems the crabs issued from the recently discovered magma pool.

23rd Hematite 58
Amidst all the hauling, I received word that the new shinies I've ordered have finally arrived!
Spoiler: Moar shinies! (click to show/hide)
The Queen is so impressed with Pyrotechno's work that she throws a party!
Spoiler: Party (click to show/hide)

27th Hematite 58
Spoiler: Tantrum troubles (click to show/hide)
Tobul is throwing another tantrum again. Maybe she is feeling left out after not being invited to the party? She punches one of the nearby party goers in the neck and scampers off. After the scuffle, she just plants herself on the orthoclase bridge, looking very weary and haggard it seems. She stands absolutely still ignoring all the folks that pass her by giving furtive glances in her direction.

Days later I find Tobul still on the bridge, ignoring all the passing haulers that are so used to the spectacle that they do not even glance in her direction. I wonder what is going in her mind?
Spoiler: Where is my mind? (click to show/hide)

1st Malachite 58
I ordered more plants to be gathered from the surrounding region to bolster our variety of garden plants and crops. We have quite a stash of plump helmets already so I've ordered the fields to lie fallow for the coming winter.

The humans bought alot of exotic meats, which they call 'seafood'. Smells awfully fishy to me. DDDragoni manages to trade for a selection of seeds, among these; quinoa, red spinach and rye. She also managed to trade for some clay and iron supplies to melt down, along with copious amounts of food supplies. She also purchased some dwarven dignity. By which I mean we've finally managed to trade away the effluvious refuse trash of troll crusted waste material we've been accumulating all these years. Eugh! Shoddy foreign goods and their foreign stench!

Spoiler: Melbil is infatuated (click to show/hide)
Melbil has grown attached to a steel shield. Meanwhile, the passageway between the two caverns is sealed off.
Spoiler: Sealed (click to show/hide)

11th Malachite 58
Tobul seems even more famished than before. Still standing on the bridge, oblivious to all that is around.
Spoiler: Gremlins! (click to show/hide)
Scout reports that a gremlin has been spotted in the cavern stairways! Alarmed at being spotted, it retreats back into the third cavern where it came from. Wait, how did the gremlin... oh, there is a narrow gap near the passageway gate, got to get that sealed off too.

14th Malachite 58
Spoiler: Not at all well (click to show/hide)
Tobul seems parched...
Scouts report that the Forgotten beast Aco Soakedgills has come! A scaly frog with deadly spittle! The monsters are coming out of the woodwork!

As the news traveled throughout the fortress, Tobul's tenuous hold on reality snapped. Perhaps the goblin spies are in league with the forgotten beasts and the arrival of one triggered a change in allegiance in Tobul?

Welp. Tobul has gone off the far end now.
Spoiler: Tobul, Interrupted (click to show/hide)
The civilians scatter and the military is quickly activated in response. In mere moments, shots are fired from a distance. It all happened so quickly, first Tobul took a wild swing at the nearby marksdwarves that tried to help. But the marksdwarves dispassionately restrained her with disabling bashes to the hands and legs.
Spoiler: For great justice (click to show/hide)

Then a clamor arose all over the front bridge, as of dwarves being roused in unison, their anger resonating with each other to a fever pitch that simply erupted into a fit of rage.

"I have a part in this, I will take revenge!"
*vengeance!*
*vengeance! vengeance!*
*vengeance! vengence! vengeance!*

Going for the mob. Who doesn't like a good mob?
*DING DING DING*
*WE HAVE A WINNER FOLKS!*

*also get out of my brain*

The civilians that were gathered around forsook their cowardly ways, the strange gleam in their eyes flaring up into a white hot flame of vengeance.

The first to shake off the shackles of fear was the planter Fikod Dakostroder. She punches Tobul in the left upper arm, then charges at Tobul, slamming into her and toppling her off the bridge into the frozen ice below...

But she was not the only one that decided to take matters into their own hands... In a dazzling flash, several dwarves hurled themselves off the bridge to SEEK VENGEANCE, turning into a terrifying landslide of dwarven mob fury as they tumbled their way to the ice below.
Spoiler: Tumultuous dwarves (click to show/hide)
The clamor aroused the notice of the dwarves chilling by the pool, and the same ire that was aroused in the dwarves above took hold of the dwarves there as a child, the Queen, Immortal-D, Tholtig McBarsky , the newly re-elected mayor, Vortex and other dwarves joined in the madness. Battle was joined on the icy slopes at the base of the great tower, or rather a mobbing took place as a berserk Tobul tried to fend off the scores of bloodthirsty dwarves out for blood and vengeance. Tobul landed a good punch to the belly of one planter, but for each solid blow she gave, she took a dozen more in retaliation, and she gave in to the emotional, mental and physical pain and fell over. But dwarven vengeance does not end there. The mob curb stomped her into the ground, some laying hands on her, others kicking and stomping away in fury and others landing punch after punch, blow after blow. It did not take long before Tobul was beaten into a miserable unrecognizable mess on the icy slopes, as dwarf blood spills across the pristine blue ice.
Spoiler: Curbstomped (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The demise of Tobul (click to show/hide)
Mercifully she was put to an end when the woodcutter Vutok Erithultir came over and hacked off her head with her bismuth bronze battle axe. Tobul Eshtanbufut, the Bone Carver was finally struck down.
Spoiler: Death is all around us (click to show/hide)

As sudden as it all begun, the spell of vengeance and bloodlust was lifted, and the cries of anger gave way to shocked fear as the dwarves mourned the loss of one of their own at their own hands. It was not Tobul's lot to be uprooted so far from home and transplanted in this miserable dump that is ConstructIvory. So ends ignobly one of the more sensitive among us. But a sense of foreboding sunk over the gathering crowd, as more is yet to come...

Meanwhile, the mayor whom had regained her senses tried her best to control and placate the crowd that had went from a vengeful mob to mourning beards in a blink of an eye.

Spoiler: A military sendoff (click to show/hide)
Reg is ordered to give the poor git a military sendoff. Meanwhile, the dwarves on the lower slopes saunter off to their own business, but those stuck on the upper slopes are forced to sleep on the unforgiving ice as they wait for help to arrive.
Spoiler: Sleeping on ice (click to show/hide)

Looks like I will need to find a way around that particular conundrum... *sigh*

15th Malachite 58
Hungryheads don't seem too fond of our animal caretaker Shorast's attempts at trying to tame them and attack her and one of our gemcutters. Though Shorast does not lose any limbs, she is badly bitten all over, suffering bruises to her throat, lungs and pancreas, causing her to suffocate.

The merchants take this time to finally embark on their journey back to the outer lands, while the hungryheads seem to have buggered off. Struggling Shorast looks to be able to make it away on her own from the scene of battle, though a medical team has already been dispatched to retrieve her.
Meanwhile, I've sent another squad down there to rid ourselves of these pests that have begun springing up everywhere.
Spoiler: Pest control (click to show/hide)
But my attention is divided between overseeing the rescue of the dwarves stuck on the slopes, making sure the pumpstack is built properly and many other things besides. I cannot be everywhere at once!

Hungryheads attack more citizens as Heretic arrives on the scene, though the woodcrafter being attacked is not so defenceless.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks like the hungryhead bit off more than it could chew. I order The Innocent Towns to stand guard just in case of emergencies.

20th Malachite 58
Spoiler: Armokdamnnit (click to show/hide)
Some dwarves have clambered up on the base of the ice pillars that hold up the tower. What? How?

It has been brought to my notice that the human merchants are leaving via the caverns. Is the overworld that much unsafe that they would rather resort to daring the caverns? There is something that is quite off here, but I cannot put my finger on it.

I shall name you Silencedmobs! A fitting name after recent events!

The queen went past the remains of Tobul today, and she stared long and hard at what was left and declared that death cannot horrify her and stomped off, but for someone like myself that has honed my sense of instinct to sense fear on the battlefield, I could tell she was only putting on a brave front, and that inwardly she was conflicted by her mix of emotions.
Spoiler: A brave front (click to show/hide)

26th Malachite 58
Spoiler: Edem possessed (click to show/hide)
Edem the gem cutter has been possessed! Is the the work of Tobul from beyond the grave!? He bars himself in an unused jeweler's workshop, grabs an emerald and begins working on something...

2nd Galena 58
Spoiler: Melbil claims a sword (click to show/hide)
Melbil grows attached to his new shiny sword. Meanwhile, haulers finally get to dumping all the dead bodies. In other news, Onget Oltanoram has given birth to a boy, Sodel Egdothuzol. congratulations!

4th Galena 58
Spoiler: Another artifact (click to show/hide)
Edem has created Adlolok Inirnoval - Sunsgranite the Declining Bride, an emerald bracelet! Worth 96000 urists. I'm a little confused here, so this is the kind of dowry you give when you want to entice a declining bride?

Vortex II was drafted into The Morality of Ramparts, he will undergo tutelage under Urvad the Avenger to be trained into a proper macelord.

Endlessblaze has grown attached to a steel shield. A short while later, endlessblaze endows the shield with the name; Lisidbal - Clashtoned.

Spoiler: Lots of work to do (click to show/hide)
Michael Phelps helps out with the pump stack, finishing up the already preconstructed pump stacks. 37 more to preconstruct and 36 more to finish up with masonry by my count. Zefon the outpost liaison soon relieves her, taking over the construction duties.

19th Galena 58
We seem to have run out of storage containers for food, I'll order some clay pots made. The refuse dumping is going well, though the pump stacks have met some minor difficulties being built out of order, I've had to order them deconstructed lest they deconstruct themselves and topple the delicate configuration. I've ordered the rest of our idle labor force to continue with the bedroom refurnishing.

26th Galena 58
Spoiler: Status of pumpstack (click to show/hide)
Total power needed for pumps is now 955, though we still have quite a few more pumps to build. This does not include the pump stacks that are already constructed at the bottom of the pump stack. The work is never-ending!

Autumn has come.

I do plan to get at least autumn done over the weekend (Yay for no overtime work!) and part of winter as well. I realize I got to cut down on my screenshots but my OCD tendencies are running amok. Oh well, let's see how it goes. Things should move along quickly once I get the pumpstack working, takes a fair amount of real life time to micromanage the orders the way I am going about it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 02:08:02 am by Zuglarkun »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 09, 2016, 08:56:59 am »

Da' heck. That's the 3rd forgotten beast we've had this season.

Whatever you're doing Zuglarkun... it's working.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 09, 2016, 09:57:41 am »

"Kicks the Hungry Head in the head, bruising the spleen" :o  Do these critters have an entire body's worth of organs in their head?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 10, 2016, 09:33:21 pm »

What a cool succession concept, and what predictable results. . .

awesome turns guys, PTW

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 10, 2016, 10:12:38 pm »

What a cool succession concept, and what predictable results. . .

awesome turns guys, PTW

I remember back in the day when the primary focus of the fortress was building the tower.  That almost lasted a full turn and a half before the queen died and eveything went to hell. Now it's a lot like a regular successsion fortress, but with even more insane architecture and a global war that makes Constructivory, with its death toll of about 10% per year, one of the safest and most stable places on the planet.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 66