- 0 (0%)
End
- 0 (0%)
This!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 07, 2015, 06:46:40 am

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 66

Author Topic: // Fall of the Succession Tower: Constructivory \\  (Read 259669 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: // The Succession Tower: Constructivory \\
« Reply #630 on: January 18, 2016, 07:31:05 am »

Strategic use of pumps can empty the pool enough to retrieve the bodies.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 18, 2016, 08:26:26 am »

Well... we do have magma. Who's up for a dorfy burial?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 25, 2016, 04:56:42 am »

Things have been slow lately, but we'd still enjoy some response as to how the tower is holding up, Immortal-D. :)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 25, 2016, 07:50:30 pm »

I remain committed, but will definitely be taking my full two weeks (again).  A buddy of mine introduced me to a little indie game called 'Tabletop Simulator'.  This past Friday night through Sunday remains something of a blur :-[

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 27, 2016, 08:17:07 pm »

Aight folks, I have all my work stuff squared away, and will be spending the next several nights dedicated to playing.  Given how my last turn started, I of course immediately checked our military and production orders.  I am actually pleasantly surprised.  2.6k booze, 4.8k food, and the military training schedules appear to be mostly not-stupid.  We have 75 Urists of 'Creeping Eye Tallow', but whatever, at least none of the booze is being cooked into a sauce like last time I was here.

There's a handful of tantrum-level unhappy Dorfs, but mostly everyone is coping.  I am dismayed at the lack of pump components though :(  A lot of Dorfs are gonna find themselves becoming carpenters to churn out the pipes and corkscrews I require.  At least the stockpile of logs is decent.  Of course we have a massive amount of yellow (orthoclase) blocks, and zero white blocks like I requested.  Not even a good amount of grey.

Lastly, a few quick tests of my new Tower-idea proved successful, so now it's just a matter of taking the time to lay out the blueprints.  The magma pipe constructed by a previous Overseer will prove quite useful.  Although, I can't figure where any of the power supplies are, so I've ordered a half dozen new Windmills.  Stay tuned!

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 27, 2016, 09:00:08 pm »

There's a handful of tantrum-level unhappy Dorfs, but mostly everyone is coping.  I am dismayed at the lack of pump components though :(  A lot of Dorfs are gonna find themselves becoming carpenters to churn out the pipes and corkscrews I require.  At least the stockpile of logs is decent.  Of course we have a massive amount of yellow (orthoclase) blocks, and zero white blocks like I requested.  Not even a good amount of grey.

Lastly, a few quick tests of my new Tower-idea proved successful, so now it's just a matter of taking the time to lay out the blueprints.  The magma pipe constructed by a previous Overseer will prove quite useful.  Although, I can't figure where any of the power supplies are, so I've ordered a half dozen new Windmills.  Stay tuned!

I will warn you, if you mean to pump magma, wooden pipes and corkscrews aint gonna cut it. They'll work just fine for water, however.

The power supply for the magma pumpstack is 2 leve;s above the pipeline, with axles 1 z above the pipe. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to power the whole stack so Zuglarkun used dorfpower instead.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 27, 2016, 11:03:57 pm »

Aight folks, I have all my work stuff squared away, and will be spending the next several nights dedicated to playing.  Given how my last turn started, I of course immediately checked our military and production orders.  I am actually pleasantly surprised.  2.6k booze, 4.8k food, and the military training schedules appear to be mostly not-stupid.  We have 75 Urists of 'Creeping Eye Tallow', but whatever, at least none of the booze is being cooked into a sauce like last time I was here.

*Ahem* *waves* I see you have not found the power levers yet.

From what I remember there are three levers that govern the power; one connects to the windmills and water powered generator and turns them on or off, while the other two to link up to the bridges that hold back the aquifer water in the water powered generator and control the drainage. They are all located 2-3 levels above the forges, where all the other levers are, and there should be a shortcut that takes you there. The bridge that toggles the water drainage off the map should be used to store a sufficient supply of water to "charge" the generator before releasing it to drain the water off the map, powering the water wheels. This is because I'm not certain the water flow is sufficient to keep supplying adequate flow to the water powered generator.

I had to produce glass components last turn to finish up the pumpstack because there was not enough to go around, so unfortunately there isn't much surplus left over. I would agree with DDDragoni and use the magma glass facilities to make glass components. Its slightly slower due to needing to gather sand (though there should be enough left over to get you kickstarted), but it will be safer if you're working with magma.

Also, I had to divert dorfpower all around to rush out the pumpstack, so block production was halted for a spell or two. I've checked, and there isn't enough white stone to go around unless you start to cut up all the limestone (flux) we have. I've reserved those for making steel armor for the military though, but do what you will.

Also, keep an eye on the caverns if you can, lots of wood hauling going on down there.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 11:42:41 pm by Zuglarkun »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 28, 2016, 07:40:21 am »

Never really did understand how aquifer-powered water wheels worked. Always been something on my DF bucket list.

Anyway, don't you mind about those booze-addicted lemmings. Just remember to build skywards. Better, higher, taller.
Although, it would be about time that the main tower got an extension... *hint hint*

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 28, 2016, 07:27:05 pm »

Never really did understand how aquifer-powered water wheels worked. Always been something on my DF bucket list.

Anyway, don't you mind about those booze-addicted lemmings. Just remember to build skywards. Better, higher, taller.
Although, it would be about time that the main tower got an extension... *hint hint*
LOL Bearskie, wanting to expand the actual Tower proper.  You so silly.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 29, 2016, 10:08:06 am »

I CAN HAS HOPE! *curls up in corner and cries*

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 31, 2016, 09:06:06 pm »

An Intricate Meta-Plot, a Huge Tower defying all things dorfy, the last bastion of dorfy society, a "who killed Luna" sub-plot, cults (the list goes on and on). Add me pls!

Letter to Project Manager, bearskie of Constructivory, from Head Librarian-in-exile Ryukan
Dear Bearskie,
I am seeking asylum at Contructivory. I have been wondering the wilds with a group of hardy guards from the old capital. I managed to stumble upon a group of "migrant" (refugees really) who told me of the last fortress in the Healer hands. I'm on my way there to you now with this group of "migrants". To elaborate my plight...

Battle of Scorchedcraft, final minutes, Great Library

Ryukan: GRAB THE HISTORIES NOT THE COOK BOOKS! COOK BOOKS ARE WORTHLESS NOW!
Assistant: Of course sir.
Ryukan: (points at a guard) Take these books through the secret exit!
Guard: Yes sir.
Even if he was a Very low ranking Noble, Ryukan always commanded more respect than that green skinned turd who usurped the thrown and conveniently had "pressing issues" at another Mountain Hall. She took with her a vast amount of the remaining guards with her for "security in these troubling times". Now her motives where clear, not 2 days after her exit, an army of hundreds of goblins and ELVES (those cannibalistic bastards) laid siege to the outer Halls. With the queen gone and the other members of the council fleeing, Ryukan had assumed command of the defense, and the eventual evacuation. After the Invaders captured the outer halls, Ryukan had commanded the evacuation of all the elderly, the women, and children under the age of 12, all other dwarves where conscripted to fight a battle even the children knew was a lost one. Now his main priorities where the Histories of his people, chronicled by the Head Librarians before him, he considered them more valuble than Adamantine.
Ryukan: Is that the last of the evacuees?
Guard (shoves one last little girl through the tunnel): Yes sir, I suggest that you go now sir.
Ryukan: One moment (straps on a sword around his silk robes, grabs a book and quill, and heads out the Library)
Guard: SIR!!!
Ryukan (rushes up the Main gates of Scorcheddraft): Men! (All of the gathered turn towards their leader (and to many their King)) I must know the names of the last defenders of Scorcheddraft.
He points to every dwarf and writes down their names.
Ryukan: I have never been one to give speeches and I wish I could stay here, but I must continue to protect the histories of our people. And in this Book (he holds up the red leather book) I will chronicle the names of you dwarves who defend, not your home, but your lineage. I bid you a safe travel to the Great Forge. Armok bless you all.
The Head Librarian turns and ruches off to the tunnel amid the great roar of heartwarming cheers mixed with the heartstopping thuds of the great rams of the enemy.
Guard: After you sir. (he follows Ryuykan through the tunnel and turns to shore it up)
A large crash and the shaking ground proved the Main gates were finally breached, sounds of screaming and shouts could be heard even this deep within the mountains, to the great satisfaction of both the guard and Ryukan, the screams were mostly of goblins being plunged into the abyss and the shouts were of a few dozen dwarves meeting their end as glorious as any could wish.

Thus ends the Siege and Fall of Scorcheddraft

I hope you provide me and my fellow refugees sanctuary, despite our differing national origins.
                                             -Head Librarian-in-exile Ryukan
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:11:40 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 01, 2016, 05:50:21 am »

McBarsky read through the note, grubby as it was, just delivered to him by the incoming caravan. Alcohol-stained hands seeped through the parchment, as he struggled to decipher the excruciatingly cursive script. A clear mark of higher education, which never did noone any good.

Amidst the garbled mess, one name jumped out. Bearskie. He’d trawled through enough memorials in this place to know that name. The infamous first overseer of the tower, savaged by werebeasts in winter’s come. Says so on his tombstone.

“Ere’, I think you’ve got the wrong dwarf,” he said after a while.
“Shys shoo on de'anvelope, mate. Beerski. Init ‘zat you?” asked the postdwarf, already halfway on the road to death by inebriation. Really should've served him the milder rum instead.
“Nope. That’s BEARskie, who someone somehow spelled with a goddamn awful Æ. M’name’s McBarsky. Tholtig McBarsky.”
“Well shaaat. Giss I’m going ter’ ave to… send this'un back then. Baaaakh into the wildlife, that’s where me got this missiege. Shy, y'sure yer not 'm?”
“Probably not. Still got my upper body intact, you see.”
“Shame about that,” the postdwarf mumbled sleepily. “Real shame, b'guess I’ll just… just… do summin 'bout it. Once I go for a knocker, that is. G'night.”

The postdwarf crumpled to the ground, his tankard clattering madly along with him. McBarsky tutted. Waste of good alcohol. With the cats coming to lap it up, McBarsky settled on deciphering the elusive handwriting.

Refugees… book… bookkeeper? Goblins, elves (he'd recognise that in any handwriting), guards… Scorched…drafted? Wait, did he mean Scorchedcrafted? Home to the Lancers of Justifying? Well, former home at least.

It took McBarsky several minutes to reread the note, just to make sure he hadn’t misunderstood its contents. The right thing to do, of course, was to pass it to the overseer to decide. Unfortunately, overseer Immortal-D hadn’t been seen in weeks, despite the rapid construction works going on at the Casa de Pallo. It was rumoured that Queen Fath was about to blow her top off anytime soon. Plenty of the Casa work was unsanctioned, with raw materials being requisited from unknown sources. No, not Immortal-D.

Hmm...

Well the letter was addressed to a certain Bearskie afterall. He was pretty sure nobody would mind an extra bunch of refugees. Just more fodder for the tower's build.
Besides, there were answers that he seeked. Answers that he could only get through a Lancer.

Hmm…

---

Greetings Master Ryukan,

> We look forward to your group’s arrival at Constructivory. Do visit the bar once you have the time. Safe travels; beware the night.

Regards,
Tholtig McBearskie

Welcome aboard Ryukan! Any dwarf you have a preference for? There's a list on the front page :). Also, overseering: aye or nay?

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 01, 2016, 12:16:05 pm »

My computer isn't the best... but it isn't the worst, I'll give Overseer a try. Just find a dwarf with a scribe skill or record keeping skill.

Greetings Master Ryukan,

> We look forward to your group’s arrival at Constructivory. Do visit the bar once you have the time. Safe travels; beware the night.

Regards,
Tholtig McBearskie

"Hmm" Ryukan read the paper that had reached his small band of refu... "migrants" via a dwarf who looked two steps from the Great Forge. Apparently, The project manager Bearskie had been dead for years and now a Tholtig McBarsky had assumed operational command of the fortress because the current overseer had gone missing. That in itself wasn't Ryukan's concern, but the Rich Parchment letter with the royal seal that had come with Tholtigs reply disturbed him. Last he knew the "ruler" of his nation was a gob... a gobl... he couldn't even think it. He broke the seal and opened the surprisingly rich parchment.

---

Official Title Papers for Position of Overseer

Former bookkeeper Ryukan is hereby, on this day, Limestone 14, 59, decreed Official Overseer for Her Majesties Fortress Constructivory, Fortress, Capital of the Stake of Healers, and Seat of Power for Her Majesty Queen Fath.
                                               -Her Most exalted Majesty, Queen Fath

---

"Oh Thank Armok!!" Ryukan shouted to the surprised stares of his compatriots. So a new Queen had managed to wrest control of the kingdom from that green slime. He was excited, then he remembered the contents of the letter. Overseer, him?!? Sure he had managed to save 200+ women and children from the doomed Capital, had managed to organize a defense, and had, for all intents and purposes, been King-Regent of the entire Kingdom while the Fortress still stood, but that was purely terror surging through him, he had absolutely no experience running a Fortress. He sighed. The Queen was placing her (misguided) trust in him. He would not disappoint her. He grabbed a quill and parchment and started to write.

---

Letter to Tholtig McBarsky and Her Most Excellent Majesty Queen Fath, From Head Librarian-in-exile Ryukan

Greetings Thiltig, I am sad about the passing of Bearskie, his exploits were legend among us in Scorcheddrafted. I am pleased to hear a response from you ( I had feared the rumors of your fall were true). I have pressing... Matters, to speak with you about.

Your Most excellent Majesty, Queen Fath,
I am glad to hear that we are no longer ruled by a member of that race of green slimed, scaly wrecht... Goblins (sorry got carried away). As for the title of Overseer, I am honored you would bestow a lofty title upon me, I will not disappoint you your majesty. Your trust is well founded.
                                               - With Glad Tidings,
                                                      -Ryukan, Future Overseer of Constructivory.

---

Ryukan turned to give the letter to the messenger, only to see that the poor dwarf had collapsed upon the ground. He found another (more sturdy) runner, sealed the letter with his wax seal (A Gem resembling a tree), and gave the message to the runner and watched as his message was carried over the horizon.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:12:35 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 01, 2016, 02:49:42 pm »

((Um... You may want to give those history books another once-over there, Librarian. ConstructIvory is not part of the Lancers of Justifying. We're the Stake of Healers. Unless this is this is an in character mistake/deception, in which case ignore me.
EDIT: You could work it in as a character trait of you want, too.))
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:48:22 pm by DDDragoni »
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 01, 2016, 07:09:10 pm »

((Um... You may want to give those history books another once-over there, Librarian. ConstructIvory is not part of the Lancers of Justifying. We're the Stake of Healers. Unless this is this is an in character mistake/deception, in which case ignore me.
EDIT: You could work it in as a character trait of you want, too.))

"I hope you provide me and my fellow refugees sanctuary, despite our differing national origins.
                                             -Head Librarian-in-exile Ryukan
"

I know this... oops. In my defense, the world has gone to hell and I can be forgiven for forgetting my own national identity...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:14:00 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 66