- 0 (0%)
End
- 0 (0%)
This!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 07, 2015, 06:46:40 am

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 66

Author Topic: // Fall of the Succession Tower: Constructivory \\  (Read 259627 times)

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
Re: // The Succession Tower: Constructivory \\
« Reply #660 on: February 06, 2016, 08:17:31 pm »

Edit 2: I have reached the start of Winter.  I am attempting to utilize the massive windmill farm used to power the magma pumps, but can't for the life of me figure how to transfer power vertically without a ramp.  Any suggestions are welcome.

To transfer power vertically, you need to use either a vertical axle to transmit it downward or a gear assembly to make corners.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 06, 2016, 08:54:06 pm »

Edit 2: I have reached the start of Winter.  I am attempting to utilize the massive windmill farm used to power the magma pumps, but can't for the life of me figure how to transfer power vertically without a ramp.  Any suggestions are welcome.

To transfer power vertically, you need to use either a vertical axle to transmit it downward or a gear assembly to make corners.
As I understand it- Vertical Axle requires a space beneath it, but can't be 'open'.  Thus the only option is a ramp.  If you build over an empty tile, the Axle is 'hanging' and doesn't work.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 06, 2016, 09:28:06 pm »

As I understand it- Vertical Axle requires a space beneath it, but can't be 'open'.  Thus the only option is a ramp.  If you build over an empty tile, the Axle is 'hanging' and doesn't work.

An axle will work just fine if it's hanging, it'll just collapse if whatever it's hanging off of is destroyed. Here's a cross-section setup:

Code: [Select]
mmm
 v
_T_

M is your windmill, v is a vertical axle, and T is the thing you're sending power to- be it another axle, a gear assembly, or a device such as a pump. You would need a floor, temporary or permanent, to allow your dwarves to build the axle. Of course, you can also put T where v is to save power and materials. M should be on a floor except for the center tile as well.

I used gear assemblies directly beneath my windmills, followed by horizontal axles to connect all those together and funnel the power into the stack.

If you want to talk more about this, why don't you PM me so we stop cluttering the thread? EDIT: Ignore this, see below.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 10:17:40 pm by DDDragoni »
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 06, 2016, 10:16:26 pm »

I don't mind :). Threads are meant to be cluttered anyway, especially if it's got to do with the planning of the fort (which it is).

Sammich, rum, and magma? Sounds vaguely familiar...

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 07, 2016, 12:07:11 am »

I got the power situation figured out, mostly.  Which is to say, the main windmill stack is working, but is shy ~300 Urists.  I recall mention of using Dorf power to make up the difference, but I have no clue which end of the stack they should be operating ???  So I'm building a ton more Windmills fast as I can, but each one only adds a net of like 20 power, and the Dwarven caravan has just arrived.  These are trying times for Casa de Pollo MKII Constructivory.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 07, 2016, 12:21:53 am »

I got the power situation figured out, mostly.  Which is to say, the main windmill stack is working, but is shy ~300 Urists.  I recall mention of using Dorf power to make up the difference, but I have no clue which end of the stack they should be operating ???  So I'm building a ton more Windmills fast as I can, but each one only adds a net of like 20 power, and the Dwarven caravan has just arrived.  These are trying times for Casa de Pollo MKII Constructivory.

You can't use dorfpower to make up the difference, I  tried and failed to make it happen. Its an all or nothing kind of thing. Which was why I threw caution to the wind and just mobilized the entire fortress. Water Reactor can help some if you figure out how to operate it in time.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 07, 2016, 02:03:43 am »

Aight peeps, here is the situation.  My greatest creation is done, though it could stand a few finishing touches.  I'm actually in the middle of month 9, not nearly as late as I thought.  There is a small but real chance that the flooding won't be contained as I had planned.  I'm currently building an emergency shut-off lever, but it may be too late.

If someone has Armok Vision (could never get it working, plus time is 0100 here), and would like to get a few screenshots for me, that would be super.  I will send the save to whomever would like to volunteer getting some AV pics for me, and let the game run out the last few months first thing tomorrow morning.  Stay tuned!

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 07, 2016, 02:42:37 am »

Aight peeps, here is the situation.  My greatest creation is done, though it could stand a few finishing touches.  I'm actually in the middle of month 9, not nearly as late as I thought.  There is a small but real chance that the flooding won't be contained as I had planned.  I'm currently building an emergency shut-off lever, but it may be too late.

Yay for the good news!

Going to be crazy busy this week, but being the resident camera-man and all.... quickly send the save over and I'll see whether I can snap some AV pictures. Triumphant victory or catastrophic failure, all shall be rendered in GLORIOUS 3D.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 07, 2016, 04:54:55 am »

Failing that, I can attempt some, but it would take a bit of downloading because I have nothing here, due to vacationing.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 07, 2016, 10:08:27 am »

Aight, ~7&1/2 hour later, I am coffee'd, biscuit'ed, and if we're being completely honest, ever so slightly re-rummed.  Save has gone to Bearskie for some 'before' pictures, on the off-chance that I can't contain my project.  Otherwise, I'm letting the game run now, as I have little left to do.  Either way, the next Overseer (Japa I think?) should be on standby.

Edit: Chugging along at 22 fps, I figure the game will take ~1 hour to finish without pausing.  I'm sorting my pics and starting the journal.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:45:10 am by Immortal-D »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 07, 2016, 11:44:29 am »

Update: Images done and sent. Check your PM.

All I've got to say is-
what the cluck.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 07, 2016, 01:12:03 pm »

Freaking finally! ; https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1503118/Dwarf%20Fortress/Tower/Succession%20Tower.7z  I'll have the journal in a little bit.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 07, 2016, 01:20:53 pm »

Okay, I'll start this thing then.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 07, 2016, 04:28:15 pm »

All of tis talk of barely contained floods, power systems (which are as foreign to me as trees), and low fps (my average computer is... well average) , has kinda not wanting to go through with my turn. I WILL go through though. Just don't expect too much awesome stuff. I'm predicting that while to figure out what the crap is going on and figuring out the power situation, three or four forgotten beast will paste the fortress and right at that time, a combined force of Goblins, Humans and Elves will decide to siege the place... and to add insult to injury, a kobold or gremlin will decide that that would be just the right time to pull the lever that collapses the tower.

Now taking bets, send all monetary bets to uristprisondude@armok.net
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 07, 2016, 04:58:35 pm »

All of tis talk of barely contained floods, power systems (which are as foreign to me as trees), and low fps (my average computer is... well average) , has kinda not wanting to go through with my turn. I WILL go through though. Just don't expect too much awesome stuff. I'm predicting that while to figure out what the crap is going on and figuring out the power situation, three or four forgotten beast will paste the fortress and right at that time, a combined force of Goblins, Humans and Elves will decide to siege the place... and to add insult to injury, a kobold or gremlin will decide that that would be just the right time to pull the lever that collapses the tower.

Now taking bets, send all monetary bets to uristprisondude@armok.net

Power likely won't be an issue unless you decide to utilize it (well, depending on whatever Immortal-D is doing.) The power was meant to be used for the pump stack and little else, so unless ypu re-purpose it, it should just sit happy and dormant. FPS is subjective as it comes- we'll never know how bad it'll get until you actually have the save on your computer.

And I'll put 2,000 dorfbucks on a death toll of exactly 7 during your turn, one of whom is named.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 66