- 0 (0%)
End
- 0 (0%)
This!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 07, 2015, 06:46:40 am

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 66

Author Topic: // Fall of the Succession Tower: Constructivory \\  (Read 259609 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: // The Succession Tower: Constructivory \\
« Reply #750 on: March 05, 2016, 09:30:20 am »

Sorry for the delay, couldn't find the time, couldn't figure out how to tie-up Winter. Managed to write a journal though.

Tholtig McBarsky
Head Brewer

Everyone was parched, everyone was busy, everyone hated the new work hours. Growing talk of rebellion and riots, little whispers, they flutter to my ears. I know well of those who seek to overthrow the queen, as they know of me.

“Consider me… a neutral observer for now,” I’d told them when they invited me to join their little posse. They did not appear pleased by my response.

Their follow-up was preaching and incisive. “Surely you have seen the catastrophe of this year? The death toll is at its very highest, and yet we’re still one season away from surviving Paddle’s reign. Allow me to tell you this, my dear friend – the Mad Architect does not care for us dwarves. The Queen does not care for us dwarves. Only us dwarves can care for ourselves.”

“Indeed, I have eyes,” I said drily. “But I keep my own counsel. My actions are mine alone to decide, and your words do not sway me today.” If they were offended by my speech, they don’t let it show. I haven’t seen them near my distillery since then. Seems to me some dwarves I used to know are avoiding me these days. Can’t speak on their behalf, but all I know is this; trust yourself and don’t run with the crowd, because that’s just asking for a stampede. Them or the Queen, hell if I know who is better. There’s worse scum to deal with in this place.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 06, 2016, 08:32:22 am »

Såkzul Goodstakes
Miner
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nearly two months of work now at the old swimming pool, and all we could show for it was a disgusting pool of mud and blood. Mining operations was turning out to be a lot harder than anyone could have expect, least of all Lord Brassroast. The man was a wizard of machinery and engineering, but was clueless when it came to physical excavations and supports. A lot of us… miners, builders, mechanics, you name it; we all thought it’d be a lot safer on the ground than hanging around in the sky to finish the bell. It was turning out to be equally as bad.

Ice is a fickle master. Scratch it let me fix that – Mining ice is a fuckin’ disaster. It breaks like hell when you strike it, and you later get tiny fissures everywhere in a ten step radius. There’s already been about five unsupported collapses, and it’s only going to get worse the deeper we go. Falling ice is lighter than falling rock, but it doesn’t stop you from getting crushed under it.

That’s not even considering the other myriad of accidents that might happen – the ones you don’t plan for, the one’s you just don’t expect. Like a mica grate to the face.

Endok Questpillars
Spearmaster

He had missed out on the earlier sparring sessions, but Endok could hardly care less at this point. He was seized by an inner desire to create, as he wandered the tower pickpocketing a seemingly-random assortment of paraphernalia. Other dwarves soon noticed his strange behaviour, but Endok ignored their frantic whispers. The outside world was nothing more than a hazy dream at the moment; only Endok and his materials was in razor-sharp focus. As he dumped his things at the forge area, he noticed something sparkle blue out of the corner of his eye.

Adamantine, the metal of the gods. It was to be the centrepiece of his greatest creation yet. He drew upon his memories at his father’s old forge, when he was a young lad, bright and eager to follow in his father’s footsteps to become a metalsmith. The war changed everything. Now he was a dwarf with a spear, defending the sanctity of this strange place he called home.

He drew upon the memories of those who fell fighting at Tempesttowers, and engraved their likenesses upon his creation. So much has changed, he thought, in just one decade of war. Yet we limp on. Most importantly, we are still alive. With that Endok held up his artifact against the light, and spoke forth its name. Listenboulders the Machine of Echoing.

The following morning he tendered his resignation to Commander Shipcat. From his experiences he now understood where his dreams lie; it lay in the burning flames of a forge, not the sharp end of a spear. At the young age of sixty-five and a killcount of 23, Endok Questpillars thus retires from the military, and begins his new life as Constructivory’s premier blacksmith.

We're almost there btw, nearing the last month. About CheeseMaker's death... ice does count as solid water, doesn't it? Congratulations, you now have the dubious honor of topping the Most Character Deaths leaderboard! :P Please collect your trophy and a new dorf from the current Overseer's office.

Very proud of the adamantine crutch. It is a stellar representation of our medical values when half of our adamantine reserves are dedicated towards helping the poor injured folk of Constructivory.

Spoiler: Like this guy! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 08:49:58 am by Bearskie »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 06, 2016, 09:37:45 am »

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 06, 2016, 10:34:29 am »

Is Iden Akumamost, siege engineer still alive? If so, I'll take that dwarf.  Rename Dak for now.  I have a good feeling about this dwarf, as in maybe it won't die immediately.

Great turn, Bearskie!  And it looks like Japa is having a great turn as well.  Also, could I get a second turn as overseer?
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 06, 2016, 01:19:14 pm »

The queen is a lizard.

The queen ...

The queen is a lizard.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 06, 2016, 02:44:12 pm »

My... how awfully convenient that the queen just happens to die while Japa is overseer... and who is next in line for the throne?

This is going to be interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a succession fort with a dorfed monarch, much less as the overseer.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 06, 2016, 09:08:38 pm »

Indeed, we can finally spam 'Hail Japa' in a non-ironic manner.

Hail Japa!

The new month brings with it new beasts. The last cavern rumbles with the fell sounds of Utesh Skullgrease, a titanic creature of horn and wings. Almost immediately, it seeks out a nearby group of crundles, and the swarm breaks apart to flee the rampage of this new beast. On an upper level, newcomer Cemato Cironowara prepares to duke it out with the other forgotten beasts for its claim over the caverns.

More than 100 z-s skywards, workers toil in the morning sun. Copper bars, plundered from the vast stocks by the furnaces, are painstakingly laid out in orderly rows and columns. Dwarves jostle past each other on one tile wide platforms, all the while suspended in mid-air without a safety net in sight. And finally, for all their hard work and toil, the bell begins to take shape at Constructivory’s peak.

Down at the tower base, pickaxes broke through the final pool layer. The miners dug them out; all of them. Fossilized mummies, dust in their skin, obsidian in their bones. They came out, awoken from their slumber. Our very own skeletons in the closet.

The old broker DDDragoni was one of them. His pale emaciated figure was carried to the tower, as with all the other bodies they found. All to be given a proper funeral. It is hoped that he would find his own peace in the afterlife, despite the worrying nature of his death.

Brewer McBarsky watches on in silence. Dead dwarves told no tales.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 08:11:02 am by Bearskie »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 07, 2016, 08:31:10 am »

Dorf me plz as male hammerdorf plz plz plz plz plz plz yay.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 07, 2016, 11:11:35 am »

''United with puddingstone'' is a great way of describing dwarves melted into obsidian.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 07, 2016, 11:43:40 am »

Hail Japa, King of the Stakes of Healing.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 10, 2016, 11:36:30 am »

Spoiler: *whispers* (click to show/hide)

Aban Paddleenters
Overseer of Constructivory

Yawn. Another day as Overseer. My last month in charge, you know. Good thing that everything was on-schedule, progress exactly as planned. Pool’s actually clean - bloody finally! This time I made sure a stop-valve was installed. It’s being filled up right now, hopefully to non-lethal levels.

Bell will probably take till the end of the month, but I’m confident we can make it. They’ve already booked the top as a bistro-restaurant. It’s going to be one seriously expensive cocktail bar. Doesn't faze me. All is well with the world.

I reach for my cloak hanging by the copper chest, and notice a neatly-placed card above it. Curious. Turning it around, it reads,

Step down or you’re next.

I’m… next?
Was that a threat or something?

I stuff the card somewhere down my shirt, just as the hatch bursts open. A dwarf clambers up into my room panting heavily. “Overseer!” she exclaims. “T-they’ve found him on the Mark of Chaos, m-miss! He-he’s very badly injured, an...”
“Who?”
“Lord Brassroast, miss!”

Shite. My heart sank.

Quote from: Medical Report
Patient
Name - Lord Brassroast Constructbind
Number - #112
Cause - 14 z-level blunt impact fall from Bell to Mark of Chaos.

Diagnosis
#112 – Massive arm/leg trauma, lost all structural integrity in RUA and LUL. Full body fracture, broken ribs with heavy bruising of torso. Heavy arterial bleeding on all fronts [URGENT]. Given priority due to executive orders and overall severity. Patient unlikely to survive.

Patient is rushed into the emergency ward after his fall.
Blood spurting from arteries everywhere,
Priority is to stem blood loss immediately.

Bleeding remains severe.
Decision on whether to carry out any major operations.
Ushat opines that patient is still in far too critical state, but CMO Immortal-D overrules.
Preparation procedures ongoing for tomorrow’s surgery.

Surgery scheduled for the next 24 hours.
CMO Immortal-D completes the first set of sutures, closing up wounds in critically-affected areas (RUA/LUL).
Left arm’s reinstated.

Ingish takes up the next 24-hour shift, focusing on the patient’s legs.
Order placed for resupply of thread in hospital.
Patient now suffering from moderate blood loss.

Bone doctor Eshtan sutures all remaining small wounds as well as patient’s rib fractures.
After approval by the CMO, patient is carefully tractioned and bone-setting procedures begin.

More procedures completed by Eshtan.
Overall setting procedures take a total of 36 hours (discounting breaks).
Patient is removed from traction and returned to intensive care ward.

Patient appears to be stabilizing, though strict monitoring still advised.
Medical team spends next few days dressing the wounds to prevent contamination.

Patient has regained most of his mental faculties.
Confirmation received that this was his mental state before the accident.
Due to patient’s erratic behaviour, gypsum casts applied in order to avoid self-inflicted wounds upon discharge.

Due to patient’s insistence to be discharged, following the approval of the queen, he is to be summarily released from our care.
To accommodate this request, we have reinforced the patient’s structural support with splints.
Patient abjectly refuses to utilize a crutch, wooden nor adamantine.

With the approval of the below signee,
Immortal-D
CMO of Constructivory

Patient #112 is hereby discharged from our care.

Any further injuries or maiming or deaths are no longer the responsibility of the healthcare service. The patient may no longer seek any financial nor spiritual retribution for any misdeeds done during his/her stay. In the case of future complications, all requests for further medical assistance will have to go through the representative channels once again.

We thank you for your stay in Level 9 Hospital. Your medical bill will be sent to you shortly within 7 working days. If you do not have the funds to pay the required amount, your payment will be deducted from your weekly booze rations.

Enjoy your new life, #112!

Aban Paddleenters
Overseer of Constructivory

My decision is made. I am stepping down as Overseer tonight.

The Queen was especially disappointed with my decision. She insisted that I at least oversaw the completion of the bell, but I had to tell her I was burnt out from the year’s work. Such a blatant lie; anyway, I don’t think she noticed. She rarely notices anything.

Yes – I am angered, I am sad, I am frustrated at being separated from this project of mine. Yet I fear the repercussions I face if I soldier on as overseer. My tenure ends in one month, and then what? After which I’m a regular citizen; free game for the forces at work in this tower. If I leave now, at least I leave with the consolation that the whole thing is 90% done, perhaps securing my life in the process. Only a few walls remain to be built. Final instructions on completing the bell I have enclosed in a letter to my successor. Whether he chooses to do so is another question entirely, though I have the Queen’s guarantee that the bell will see completion. At any rate, it is a heavy feeling.

Whoever they are, these thugs who nearly killed Brassroast, they are still out there. They will be watching my movements, my actions. I believe I no longer pose a threat to them, but I cannot be sure. All I can do is to watch for shadows behind my trail, keep up my guard, and lock the doors before I sleep. For noone is truly safe in this world, least of all in Constructivory.

This is Overseer Paddle, signing off.

~ End of Winter
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:03:54 am by Bearskie »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 10, 2016, 11:45:48 am »

Bravo.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 10, 2016, 12:26:15 pm »

Sure, Lord Brassroast is in poor condition, but given the initial state we found him in...

It's still a great improvement, I'd say.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 10, 2016, 01:23:47 pm »

Sure, Lord Brassroast is in poor condition, but given the initial state we found him in...

It's still a great improvement, I'd say.

Props to Immortal-D, there are very few people that can reconstruct a dwarf from nothing but copper and blood. That must have been one hell of a fall.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 10, 2016, 02:52:27 pm »

Props to Immortal-D, there are very few people that can reconstruct a dwarf from nothing but copper and blood. That must have been one hell of a fall.
The realloying of copper into brass alone must have been a huge pain in the ass.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 66