- 0 (0%)
End
- 0 (0%)
This!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 07, 2015, 06:46:40 am

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 66

Author Topic: // Fall of the Succession Tower: Constructivory \\  (Read 259682 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: // The Succession Tower: Constructivory \\
« Reply #915 on: October 27, 2016, 09:51:33 am »

Go ahead and build a few levels. Maybe giant "ConstructIvory" to tower above all? Iirc Ryukan has been hit by "can't play" recently.
Save is here:

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11974

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: October 27, 2016, 12:11:25 pm »

I've downloaded the save. I have no idea what the fort looks like. I have read nothing except the rules in the OP. I am prepared for anything.

...You know, this might be the best succession fort I've ever seen. We've got a good number of dwarves. Our military is strong. There's corpses, but not as many as you would expect from a fort this old, and none of them are in the fortress proper. We have a good number of skilled laborers. Children born in the fort have grown to adulthood. The OP is even well-organized and stays updated regularly! For a 14-year succession fortress, this is great! I'm proud of you guys!

EDIT: I have a plan. Do we have any artifact furniture?

EDIT2: Yes we do and it isn't even being used! This native gold table is going to be used for THE GLORY OF DWARFKIND!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 12:20:44 pm by TheFlame52 »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: October 27, 2016, 12:53:11 pm »

I've downloaded the save. I have no idea what the fort looks like. I have read nothing except the rules in the OP. I am prepared for anything.

...You know, this might be the best succession fort I've ever seen. We've got a good number of dwarves. Our military is strong. There's corpses, but not as many as you would expect from a fort this old, and none of them are in the fortress proper. We have a good number of skilled laborers. Children born in the fort have grown to adulthood. The OP is even well-organized and stays updated regularly! For a 14-year succession fortress, this is great! I'm proud of you guys!

EDIT: I have a plan. Do we have any artifact furniture?

EDIT2: Yes we do and it isn't even being used! This native gold table is going to be used for THE GLORY OF DWARFKIND!

Ooops.... forgot my commitment here again. Nice Necro though...

Bearskie, you still be alive?
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: October 27, 2016, 12:57:57 pm »

Hello, I'm Kogan Torchback the engraver. I am the new overseer. People have asked me what I'm planning for my year, but it's a secret! But the first step of the plan is to make a lot of menacing steel spikes! 240 of them, to be exact. Weaponsmiths, start cooking! Also, I need a new bedroom.

EDIT: What are the stories behind some of these names? Elves? A goblin spy in a room surrounded by goblin corpses?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 01:12:07 pm by TheFlame52 »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: October 27, 2016, 03:10:04 pm »

Journal of Kogan Torchback

Granite

I've decided to keep this journal as long as I'm overseer. Well, my first command didn't go so well. We have no steel. None. And we lack the flux to make it, so I've ordered a big area mined out. I told the miners to avoid damp pockets, so hopefully we won't have any flooding.

My other order went through fine, though. My old bedroom was in one of the supports and it was awful. You never knew when someone would just stroll right on through. My new bedroom is about the same, but lower down, private, and I had a copper cabinet installed! I like being overseer.

The elves arrived and we traded a bunch of grown garbage for a kestrel, barn owl, wolf, and grizzly bear.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: October 27, 2016, 03:30:11 pm »

Well here's something I didn't think I'd see again.  Constructivory certainly had a good run, though an encore is most welcome :)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: October 27, 2016, 06:50:42 pm »

- 240 menacing steel spikes, artifact furniture...A key fitting the lock exactly. Good luck!

...Wait, don't BDs topple tables?

- Heh, caring for individual dwarves, how mercurial the life is....Life in Constructivory has been pretty great indeed, only lost less than hundred dwarvers to falling from heights I think?

Grizzly bear and wolf....Mm. Heh. Well, it is cool for entrance at least.

- Looking forward.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 27, 2016, 07:15:56 pm »

Journal of Kogan Torchback

Slate

We've been having troubles with tantruming dwarves, and our captain of the guard is a werebeast locked up away from everyone! How is she supposed to do her job! I've made Ryukan the new captain of the guard. I'm sure he'll sort things out.

Steel production is progressing nicely. As I write this we have 76 steel bars! That's a third of the 240 we need for the spikes, but I've noticed most dwarves are in copper and iron armor. We need steel badly!

I've ordered a bunch of camels and alpacas slaughtered. Reindeer are better.

Lots of military folks are naming their shields.

There's a towering mite with a poisonous sting in the first cavern, but it can't get in.

I know for a fact that building destroyers don't topple tables because an artifact table was instrumental in my reclamation of Necrothreat III. I don't know what you mean about caring for individual dwarves, though. Kogan is my dwarf, I just didn't nickname her.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: October 27, 2016, 08:43:17 pm »

In the far south of the known world, forged by Armok on his own Forge, a Bell Tolls. A sound that has not been heard in ages. A sound that sends fear into the hearts of those that oppose it, and hope into the hearts of those who rally to its sound.

In the Cathedral of Gold, atop this tower of might, a figure stirs from a long slumber....

Spoiler: The Turn List (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:50:28 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: October 27, 2016, 10:48:10 pm »

- Captain of the guard...Are you going to arm them with steel hammer?

- Might as well head straight  for adamantine for some armor?

Still would have a production bottleneck with steel, though.

- You're right. In fact, I just tested to be doubly sure that it isn't artifact quirk:

Went by wiki article on building destroyer:

Most buildings will be "toppled" (deconstructed), leaving the building material or furniture unbuilt but otherwise unharmed, however doors, hatch covers, and floodgates will be damaged until destroyed, not deconstructed.

Which is clearly misleading at best, though I haven't tested every individual building yet. Probably should :v

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: October 31, 2016, 06:43:54 pm »

I can't do this. I just can't make myself play DF any more. Do you guys even want the save?

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: October 31, 2016, 06:46:28 pm »

I can't do this. I just can't make myself play DF any more. Do you guys even want the save?

You giving up?

If sooo..... the only way TO end this place is to "accidentally" take out the struts holding the tower up.... PLEASE UPLOAD A VIDEO TO YOUTUBE OF IT!!!

Any1 want the honors?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: October 31, 2016, 11:34:46 pm »

If sooo..... the only way TO end this place is to "accidentally" take out the struts holding the tower up....
Preferably by clowns melting them.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: July 31, 2017, 11:23:22 am »

Spring. The time for revival.

Icicles melted into puddles and snow drifts tumbled down in chunks as the desert basked in the light of a fledgling sun. Plants, sealed in ice months ago, began their exploratory forays into the overground once more. As did the animals, who emerged from their winter caves with nary a thought but food on their minds. With life abounding all around it, the Tower too awoke.

Slowly, but surely, it arose from its deep slumber. It shook off the remains of snow and debris of seasons past, hanging from its greatest of megaprojects to its smallest of alcoves. And as the Tower swayed into life, so too did its inhabitants.

The dance of dwarves rose from a murmur to a buzz, and from that buzz it rose into a chatter. From there, it became a throng – chaotic, unpredictable, noisy – the embodiment of the relentless madness and spirit that had seized the site from the moment its founders laid foot on the gravel. An A-OK to the universe at large that the heart of Constructivory was pumping and alive.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cheesemakers toiled above the heavens in their sacred wheel…

Dwarves paid their respects to the dead souls of the Ghost Maze…

The Lord High Judge Ryukan slumbered in his Golden Temple…

McBarsky mixed drinks for his Skybar patrons…

Paddle steps into the bowels of her greatest creation...

Heretic spars with relish against endlessblaze and chaotic skies atop the Mark of Chaos…

MobRules stood in quiet contemplation within the Hall of Rainbows…

King Japa poked his beard into the old queen's tomb...

The traders milled about the blood-soaked trade depot after ascending the green glass ramp…

Goblin spy Dak schemed desperately from her secret hideout in the hills…

Lord Brassroast hummed as he tinkered with the magma pumpstack, clockwork mechanisms clicking and whirring along beneath his fingers…

PyroTechno and Urist McDwarf basked in the heat of the forges…

Escondida and uber pye effortlessly shapes wood and stone to their will...

Mayor cum dwarf therapist Ducim sits patiently through the depressed yelling of her patients...

Taupe and Gwolfski slum it out in their ramshackle joint office located within the old clay levels...

Immortal-D and his carousers partied the night away at the Casa de Pallo, accompanied by the very best in blackjack and hookers… (well, one out of two ain't bad)

Illithid Muteletter the Contained Depression of Counselling poked the floor morosely with a stick...

Commander Shipcat keeps watch at the new guard tower, eyes scanning the horizon as she stroked the dozing Master Fluffykins on her lap…

Dwarven children skated in joy at the Towercat ice rink, blissfully unaware of the Giant Chicken crapping above their heads…

Others dipped their feet into the sub-zero waters at the tower’s base…

Sanju stared at the four walls of her private tower, as she had done for the past sixteen years.

Constructivory has stood tall for nearly two decades against goblin sieges, anti-towerists, vigilante werebeasts, rogue minecarts, religious cults, fluffy scheming kittens, dairy worshippers, mysterious murders, mad architects, communist revolutionaries, military juntas and most of all, gravity. Through all that, Constructivory endures.

For now, things were idle. There was a rhythm to the rise and falls of the tower’s builds; the dance of Constructivory so to speak. From the initial cuttings of stone, the hectic shuttling of materials in situ, the terror of the build itself, and to the deep lull in-between projects. The tower was in one of those lulls, where time itself seemed to stretch infinitely in all directions – more than enough time for the dwarves to drink, laugh and cry their sorrows away.

Perhaps they’ve earned the right to be content. Perhaps this is their Valhalla, the eternal lull between builds, where the drink is plentiful, the parties wild and the buildings unrivalled in design. These times of spring, when they were the happiest dwarves in the world.

No.
Fuck no.

THIS.
IS.

DWARF FORTRESS.

The earth rumbled.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:19:53 am by Bearskie »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: // Fall of the Succession Tower: Constructivory \\
« Reply #929 on: July 31, 2017, 11:53:16 am »

Oh god, not my Cathedral....

FYI, this was my first fort on these forums, so I kinda have an emotional investment here, don't fuck up fucking up Constructivory.

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 66