Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Trials of Lord Oqui  (Read 5480 times)

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
The Trials of Lord Oqui
« on: July 30, 2015, 03:27:58 pm »

The Trials of Lord Oqui

Between the shores of the Sunken Sea and the high peaks of the Four Mountains lies the Ring - a fertile region of forests, fields, and marshes, and the cradle of human civilization in Ruspmon, the Eternal Plane. On all sides the savage wilderness holds them in: the great deserts of the north, the haunted sea to the east, and the vast frozen wasteland of the south.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Beyond the low foothills of the Wall of Confederacy sprawled the blasted land known as the Desert of Horrors, where the haunting cries of the damned echo on the harsh winds that swirl the sands. At its heart rises a spire of black hell-stone known as the Amethyst Fortress, dwarfing the towers and trenchworks of the goblins. It is here that an evil being from before the world's creation holds her seat of power: the sloth demon, Spearclaws the Last Emerald.
(incidentally, "Spearclaws" is probably the most apropos name for a sloth demon, 'coz they have some impressive claws. I imagine she's something like a Megatherium.)
For an hundred years she has ruled over the Mahogany Hex, the mightiest goblin power of the east. For an hundred years she has waged constant war on the dwarves to the south, the Radiant Wall, slaughtering them mercilessly until now only one remains alive. But even this bloody triumph could not satisfy such cruelty as Spearclaws possessed; and her wicked, unblinking eyes turned to the north...

Beneath the black volcanic spires of the Absolute Finger, in the green fields of the Great Hill, lay the Combined Union, a small but prosperous nation on the shores of the Sunken Sea. In the 125th year of the world the army of Spearclaws marched into this peaceful land, an army of one thousand savage goblin warriors. They marched to the capital of Heavenrelief, with its small garrison of 40 men, confident of their success - but the humans gave them more than they bargained for. The great goblin host was forced to retreat, and the humans rejoiced at their victory.
But though the battle was won, the war would never be over, for the avarice of Spearclaws would not relent until all the free peoples of the earth were held in her terrible grasp - unless she could be slain.

In the small hamlet of Danceconfuses, one man, Lord Oqui Steeldusks, decided to end the menace of the Mahogany Hex and the tyranny of the Amethyst Fortress forever, in the only way possible: total war. He vowed never to rest until Spearclaws had been utterly destroyed - and to do that, he needed an army.
But an army wouldn't just follow anyone: they needed a great leader - a legendary hero, even. Oqui would have to prove his mettle in valiant combat against a mighty foe.

High above the Great Hills, beyond the volcano known as the Profance Furnace, a great beast makes her nest on a mountaintop: Dashran the Mountainous Jewel, the roc.
Long had she scourged the inhabitants of the valley below, humans, elves, and dwarves alike. For an hundred years none had been able to slay this beast; but Oqui knew he had to try. Surely a mighty host would follow the slayer of so terrible a creature. And thus he took up his mighty broadsword, donned his armor of burnished bronze, and set off to adventure and glory - if he survived...
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: The Trials of Lord Oqui
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 04:12:24 pm »

Looks pretty cool, but it's really bugging me, you said an hundred at least 3 times, and it's just a hundred. H isn't a vowel.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 06:41:27 pm »

It's an older convention. I just used it to sound more archaic.

Today is the 23rd of Granite, 125. As the sun dawns over the rolling hills, my companions and I begin our journey to the north.
Starting from the hamlet of Danceconfuses, we will follow the road to the east, across the Sweet Dune and into the mountains. At the Dwarven fortress of Headlabor we will take the deep road under the mountains, emerging on the other side at the fortress of Brushglazes (not shown). From there we head a short way north to the nest of the vile roc, Dashran the Mountainous Jewel.
My first companion is Strohe Worldteachers, a priestess of Radir, the god of dusk and twilight. She slew five invaders during the defense of Heavenrelief and now wears their bones as jewelry.
My second companion is Ado Troughpassed, a bowman I met on the road, and probably one of the most beautiful people I've yet seen in DF: tan, muscular, with long blond hair, sky-blue eyes, and high cheekbones. He's basically Legolas. He looks every bit the part of dashing adventurer - let's see if he delivers.

We set out and travel unmolested along the road, passing through the two dwarven hillocks.
By late afternoon we have crossed the yellow sands of the Sweet Dune and stand at the foot of the mountains; we should be able to make it to Headlabor before nightfall. As we follow the road across a barren landscape of volcanic andesite (Headlabor lies in the shadow of the Profane Furnace, an active volcano), our hearts are high, thinking of the warm dwarven welcome and mugs of stout ale that await us in the fortress.
As we start into the mountains Strohe informs me of a vampire back in the Combined Unions. I make a note of this: when we have slain the roc, we will deal with this loathesome creature of the night.

Just before dusk the quartzite walls of the upper fortress rise before us. But something feels... off. Even at this hour the trade depot should be alive with activity, the sounds of haggling drifting out from the fortress gates. But there is only silence.
Coming out of the gates I see a clothier, a human, probably here to trade. He looks deeply troubled - I ask what the matter is.
An insurrection? I've never known the dwarves for revolutionaries. Strohe seems on edge, muttering something about "revenge" - maybe the goblin invasion messed with her head a bit.
What? O, horrors! The trade depot is covered in blood and body parts - dwarves and humans alike all have perished! I draw my broadsword: whoever - or whatever - did this may still be around.
Suddenly it strikes me that one of the corpses is standing up, and turning to face me. The living dead have captured Headlabor! All the stories say that the undead are nigh unkillable, and as strong as ten men. Gripping my sword firmly in both hands, I prepare to see if the stories are true.
The human corpse is not alone - to the north are five more zombies. One is a skeleton, clothed in rags and wielding a battle axe of dwarven steel. One hit from that, and all is over.

The battle begins. The zombies may be strong, but they're slow - even so I must dodge as I strike to avoid being knocked over by their charges.
A solid strike to the legs and they fall over, unable to charge. I set about mincing limbs with my blade.
Uh-oh: Strohe takes a crippling blow to the foot. Somehow a zombie is able to break her bones with a cloth cap. They really must be as strong as the legends say. I rush to her aid...
...but I am too late; the beast brains her with its cap, caving in her skull.

With Strohe's death all the zombies bend their glazed eyes on me. I prepare myself to avenge Strohe's death.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 09:10:13 pm »

well, this is off to a pretty difficult start...
PTW
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 09:19:47 pm »

the only honourable course of action is to flee. That's how everyone starts becoming a hero!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 02:20:03 am »

Looks pretty cool, but it's really bugging me, you said an hundred at least 3 times, and it's just a hundred. H isn't a vowel.
An 'undred years! Truely 'orrible, I say!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 12:24:00 pm »

An elf corpse with a bronze pick attacks me: I dodge and deflect his blows, all the while cleaving limbs from his rotting body. After a while he doesn't have much left to cleave.
The skeleton swings his wicked axe-blade at my head: I parry, spin, and slice off his arm. There is a strange wailing sound for an instant, and then the corpse collapses to the ground and stays still. So they can be slain. I plunge again into the fray.
The elf miner dies next when I release its head from its mouldering shoulders.

I have worked myself into a tight spot: three zombies surrounding me, and my broadsword gets stuck in one's rotting neck. I yank it out, just barely avoiding three fatal strikes, and dodge out danger.
Out of the corner of my eye I see the clothier running - towards the zombies? He's getting their attention, drawing them away from me!
Excellent work, friend!
Um... too excellent, in fact. All the zombies are now chasing the clothier. I must save him!
He fights well for a civilian, bravely taking on the zombies with naught but a dinner knife. But a hit to the stomach send him reeling - I cut my way towards him, shouting encouragement.
But it's no use. They pile on top of him and force him to the ground -
- and kill him. Another friend lost.

I clean up the rest of the zombies; the smooth stone floor is slick with their blood and strewn with their limbs. I shudder as I look on the carnage.
I find Ado, my muscular-soldier-hero-adventurer, quivering on the ground in fear. As I suspected: for all his good looks and muscles, when the chips are down he bawls like an infant. Granted, the undead are not an everyday enemy - but Strohe and the hapless clothier, two untrained civilians, fought them with nary a complaint, while this "soldier" just brags about the keas he shot in the mountains. Pathetic.
I count the bodies at the depot: it is almost too much to bear. 34 dead, ten of those my own people, humans from my own homeland. All are missing limbs, and most have lost their heads, which lie some feet away from their bodies, empty eyes staring, faces contorted in utter terror. The blood and bodies are fresh - when did this happen? Had I been here just a little earlier, could I have stopped it? Could I have saved them? The dead faces give no answer.
I take Strohe's corpse and lay it on a pyre with her trophies. It isn't safe to stay here long, and there is no time for a proper burial, so this must do.
As I perform the funeral rites, some stray cats climb up from the fortress stairwell. Have some of the dwarves have survived after all? Perhaps I should go down there and see...

So, should I tempt fate further and brave the fortress proper? Or leave now and take the long way over the mountains?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 09:50:11 am »

this is incredible and you're really lucky you're still alive. Please don't risk this awesome thread and abandon this cursed fortress.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 09:42:40 pm »

How right you are. On with the journey.

Observing the horrible sight at the trade depot, I doubt that anyone could have survived down in the fortress, if there are any more undead. Furthermore, I cannot risk Ado in those depths: he may be a weak and unprincipled coward, but he is my companion, and I've lost one already. We must take the long way around the mountains.
I hesitate when I check the map. Unless we swing wide to the south, the way around the mountain takes us dangerously close to the dark tower of Windcanyon. These zombies almost certainly came from there, sent by the foul necromancers. We ought to stay well away from that accursed place; we will make the arduous trek across the mountains.
We go around the fortress and onto the road that, inexplicably, climbs the sheer cliff above the fortress. It peters out not far off. Why build it in the first place?
Picking our way across a landscape of black boulders and gravel, we head northwest towards Brushglazes. Hopefully the same fate has not befallen it.
As if to signal our departure from the haunted fortress, a green sward of mountain avens and hair grass stretched before us.
Ok Ado, I get it. When we've finished off Spearclaws we'll see about rescuing your daughter.
After about a mile night begins to fall. We camp in the middle of a wide, low field between the mountains - a very exposed position, but hopefully nothing will bother us this deep into the mountains. I hope zombies can't track. Ado takes first watch.

At dawn we start out over the rough, rocky ground. Ado needlessly kills another kea, wasting several arrows.
He only stops shooting keas after he runs out of arrows. At least he's training his skills. I pick up 24 perfectly good arrows from the ground and give them back to him in exchange for his coin purse.

Coming down off a slope, I refill my waterskins at a brook and take a short rest.
To the north looms the great volcano, the Profane Furnace. It is said to be the home of Doto the Tin Flames, the god I worship.
Since we are so close, I decide to make this an impromptu pilgrimage: I shall petition Doto for good fortune in the coming trial.
The way up is a steep scramble over dense grass and patches of rock. Ado continues to shoot keas: I'm not giving his arrows back this time.
I climb to a high ledge and gaze down into the caldera: waves of heat rush up towards me, causing me to sweat even in the cool weather of early spring. Far below a writhing black surface streaked with bright orange churns and sizzles. It is a beautiful sight, indeed; a worthy home the god of creation, where one can see the primal forces boiling up from deep within the earth. I make use of Ado's senseless killings and throw three kea corpses into the flames as an offering to Doto. I also offer a prayer for the dwarves of Headlabor, that they be accepted again into this ancient flow of creation and renewed.

A little after noon we descend another sheer wall into the Jungles of Cremation. We have passed over the mountains; the fortress isn't far now.
A short trek through the bamboo underbrush and thick-growing fruit trees brings us to the fortress gates. Inside are dwarves, living dwarves: I rush to meet them.
After the horror of Headlabor it sets my soul at ease to find these dwarves alive, going about their ordinary lives.
The stockpiles are full of fine dwarven craftsmanship, and the smell of delicious dwarven cuisine wafts from the kitchens. Furniture crafted from rare minerals and cavern wood catches my eye: I may buy some for my mead hall, which is rather spartan at the moment.
In a statue garden I find a macewoman, wearing a helmet that bears the lychee tree crest of the Combined Union, my home country. She tells me her name is Asseg Oceanriddles.
I ask how she came to be a guard in a dwarven fortress: she declined to answer, saying only that she was a mercenary. However, when I told her of my quest, to raise an army to slay Spearclaws and restore peace to the Combined Unions, a flash passed across her face - a flash of anger, and perhaps hope. Then she asked if I was looking for recruits right now.

We, now three, will rest awhile in the comfort of Brushglazes and the company of dwarves. Then - I have a roc to kill.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 09:22:06 am »

We set out before first light towards the north. We enter the high Plains of Breath, at the foot of the mountains.
The roc's enormous nest looms on the hillside to the west, an imposing crown of gnarled branches and some whole trees. The creature is not visible, and we approach warily.
A few paces away from the nest sits the roc, watching over her domain. I hesitate for a moment: she must be twenty feet tall, with white feathers speckled with a few spots of black, her talons sunk into the earth and her razor beak glinting in the sunlight like bronze. A true primal spirit of the skies if ever there was one.
Suddenly she turns a deep black eye on me: with a cry like a dragon's roar she unfolds her wings, each at least thirty feet across, and sends up huge clouds of white dust as she takes flight. The force of her mighty wingbeats nearly nocks me off my feet, but I dig in with my heels and face the gusts head-on.
Ado is overcome by her presence and bolts away. We must only hope the beast doesn't escape into the sky.
Asseg and I attack: my broadsword, which can slice through the limbs of my enemies like butter, does little to this creature aside from making small cuts. Asseg's morningstar is more effective. I dodge several attacks from the beast's fearsome talons and sharp beak, but Asseg has a finger scratched off by a grazing blow.
Suddenly a look of wild fear enters the roc's eyes: it beats its wings in a desperate attempt to fly off, but Asseg's mace meets it on the way up, tearing deep unto the bone.
With an anguished cry the beast collapses on the ground, roaring in pain -
- until I silence it, driving my sword through its brain. Dashran the Mountainous Jewel, the terror of the north, is dead by my hand.
The huge corpse lies splayed out on the hillside, blood streaking its white feathers and running onto the grass.
Since the beast is too large to be carried back to civilization - even its skull would weigh hundreds of pounds at least - I look around for some other trophy. In the roc's nest are two eggs, small enough to fit in my pack; their unmistakable size and texture will be proof enough of my deed. And who knows: if they hatch, I might have two more allies in the fight against Spearclaws...

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 04:06:27 am »

This is amazng, please continue this series.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 04:19:46 pm »

Sorry it's been a while, I've been busy with some other stuff. Not much happens this update, for which I apologize, but I'll put it here to keep the story moving.

A few hours later, our victorious party is back in Brushglazes. The noise of bartering, bickering, haggling, and hawking at the depot slowly stills and stops as I approach, holding my bloody sword aloft in one hand, and a giant egg nestled under my arm.
I proclaim the deed to the assembled dwarven onlookers: there is silence for a moment, then one dwarf mumbles "It was inevitable." There is a general rumble of agreement, but little outward rejoicing. Yet the dwarves still welcome me as a great and courageous hero - they are an understated people, not given to strong feelings. I accept their modest praise for what it is.
I spread the news all through the fortress, from the depot to the dining halls to the storerooms. Before we leave I hear rumors of out victory spreading through the halls.
Reactions are mixed, even in individuals: some acknowledge my heroic deeds, but still don't trust me enough to confide in me. I do hope I receive better reactions from my would-be soldiers.

After the news has sufficiently saturated Brushglazes, I decide to take the deep road through the mountains. I have heard of the great caverns below the earth, where mushrooms the size of trees grow in forests, and strange beasts twist through the darkness and feed on fungus, and sometimes on flesh. Besides, traveling on the deep road will let me spread the news of Dashran's death to more dwarves.
The caverns are truly a sight to behold -- except that they're so dark it's hard to behold anything. Our puny torchlight barely illuminates ten feet around us. Still, I see many wonders on the way: the stories of tree-sized mushrooms are true, and more, for some even take on a tree's shape. Fortunately the cavern's other wonders - the more dangerous ones - left us alone.
The road is long, and about halfway through the mountains we grow weary. It is impossible to tell how much time has passed in the world above, whether it is day or night; down here, the body's own strength is the only clock. I did not expect the deep roads to be so sophisticated, but it is truly a dizzying network of paths: they lead through fields thick with dwarven crops, rarely tasted in the overworld; and bridge over huge underground lakes, where the ceiling is so high and the bottom so deep down that ships could travel on them as easily as on the Sunken Sea.
We spend the night in a nearby mountain hall. Most of the rooms seem deserted, though clothes are spread all over the floor. I find a free room in better order and rest there.

The next day we finish the journey, coming out into the sunlight once again at the fortress of Scourclasp.
The desert sun is blinding at first, and it is some time before our eyes are again used to the light of day. The upper fortress of Scourclasp is one of the finest examples of dwarven architecture I have seen: the whole building is made from huge blocks of native silver, veins of the precious metal streaking through the gray rock and flashing in the sun.
It is past noon when we surface; we must have traveled for a long time into the night yesterday, and slept into morning. We strike out across the desert.
Late in the morning of the 27th, four days after Ado and I set out, we return to Danceconfuses. I worry for Ado - I do not believe he is ready to do battle against the goblins. I offer him a position guarding my castle while I am away, but he declines. I suggest that he go out into the world and hone his skills, perhaps clean out some bandits and roaming kobolds; he agrees, and we part ways. In any case, I'd much rather have skilled, disciplined warriors than soldiers-of-fortune like Ado, though I don't say this aloud.
Perhaps Ado isn't so keen to leave my service; he makes himself very much at home in my hall. Well, that's alright -- I said I could use a guard.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 06:09:39 pm »

That's an amazing world! I really dig "The Ring" area with the big sea in the middle. I've never seen a world do something like that.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 11:50:11 am »

Has it really been a month since I worked on this? I've been occupied with school and other projects, but here's a small update:

Before gathering my army, I decide to make good on my promise to Strohe, and slay the vampire Oxut Farmedcaught. Asseg and I set off for Sistersdabbles, where the creature is reported to live.
Along the way we pick up another member, a dwarf named Bembul Cloisterpulleys. He bears a fine dwarven steel mace and an appetite for adventure.
We enter Sistersdabbles. I inquire about Oxut's whereabouts, and am directed to the mead hall, to find a hearthsperson named Uso Pointytaxes.
First I speak to the lady, Tegism Workermine. I tell her of Oxut's treacherous ways, but she refuses to believe. I begin to doubt we will have assistance from the villagers - Oxut seems to have beguiled them to her favor.
I find Uso, who is in fact the lord consort of Sistersdabbles. We don't exactly hit it off.
Well, that explains a lot. I think I just won't mention my intentions.
Uso tells me that Oxut doesn't live in Sistersdabbles, but in the far-off hamlet of Plantcooks, several days trek to the west. Perhaps Oxut can wait a little longer. As far as the goblins go, we must strike while the iron is hot.

I've also run into some technical trouble: for some reason, despite being a legendary hero, I can't get any more followers. I suspect this may be because I have a lot of agreements still "active" -- a while back Oqui tried to rescue some people before Heavenrelief was besieged, ending up with about 50 merchants in tow. These merchants, because they weren't historical figures with families, could never leave my company, as I could never conclude the agreement; I eventually got rid of them by crossing a river and leaving them on the other side. Now I fear they are still clogging my companion list. Is there some way (DFhack maybe) to clear agreements?
Or am I wrong and is this caused by something else?

That's an amazing world! I really dig "The Ring" area with the big sea in the middle. I've never seen a world do something like that.

Actually, it was made while playing around with PerfectWorldDF, so it's not truly real; but I imagine something like it could be done through advanced world-gen. I don't think it can happen by default, though.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 11:30:49 pm »

Can't you just tell them you can no longer travel together?

Ask about the journey, they say they have no family, you cancel the agreement in the next prompt?
Pages: [1] 2