Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: The Magicians Marathon of Magical Murder: Cuthulu kills everyone  (Read 24441 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Magicians Marathon of Magical Murder

As you escape from the burlap sack that contained you, you notice that you are trapped inside a strange underground amphitheater. When you look up, you see the sunlight streaming in from the sky above. Unfortunately, it's a very long way to the top.

More burlap sacks begin to stir. More mages it seems...

Oh...

now you remember where you are.

A voice booms from above

"Greetings citizens of New Franklin, today is a very special day. It's the final day of Magehunting season and you know what that means... It's time to witness the 100th annual Magicians Marathon of Magical Murder!!! Of course as an honest and fair judge, I must give a proper trial."

Suddenly, you see the silhouette of a head peaking from the top.

"Do you plead innocent or guilty?"

GUILTY!!!

"Well, you heard the jury, can't argue with them. For practicing magecraft and the dark arts, I sentence you to Gladiatorial Combat!"

Spoiler: Whats this? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rules about magic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character creation (click to show/hide)

One final note for the first 3 turns, there will be no Pmed actions but after that, pms will be allowed
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:56:23 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Magicians Marathon of Magical Murder (a Magical Arena game)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 08:59:18 pm »

Signups are now closed FOREVER!!!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:56:50 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 08:59:41 pm »

Graveyard
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:58:33 pm by heydude6 »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 09:01:56 pm »

Derm

Tv static.

Lets give it a go.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 09:11:37 pm »

Cookies McSalsa

Lime and yellow.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:30:46 pm by Salsacookies »
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 09:22:08 pm »

Avery Protagoniste.
this, hoping I know enough about BB code that it works, if this is supposed to help figure out what kind of sphere I get then steel grey.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 09:24:43 pm »

Name: The Manipulator (who else?)
Color: Red
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 10:10:28 pm »

Name: Greeny McEmerald
Green
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:12:47 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 10:41:27 pm »

Tomato
Tomato
Tomato
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 10:58:43 pm »

Atrius Tang
Orange is best color.

(Also, couple questions. 1. When you say the Aspect is in our hand, like, literally embedded, or just holding it? 2. How are they obtained normally in the world?  Captured?  Raised? Made a deal with them? 3. What is a good roll and a bad roll? Is it a standard 1 superfail, 5 win, 6 too much win? or something else

Oh and the Jury doesn't plead.  Wouldn't it be the accused who pleads innocent or guilty, and the jury just passes judgment? :P)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:06:33 pm by Slayer1557 »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 12:01:33 am »

Atrius Tang
Orange is best color.

(Also, couple questions. 1. When you say the Aspect is in our hand, like, literally embedded, or just holding it? 2. How are they obtained normally in the world?  Captured?  Raised? Made a deal with them? 3. What is a good roll and a bad roll? Is it a standard 1 superfail, 5 win, 6 too much win? or something else

Oh and the Jury doesn't plead.  Wouldn't it be the accused who pleads innocent or guilty, and the jury just passes judgment? :P)
Ooh, lore questions, I love those.

1. Well the aspect itself is a wisp. What you are holding is a literal sphere that is essentially possessed by an aspect, although the aspect can't leave.

2. This is a question I myself haven't answered yet. Currently I'm thinking about making it that essentially long ago, an aspect betrayed its own kind and made a deal. The aspect gave man several artifacts that allowed the capture and transfer of other aspects so their power can be tapped for one's own purposes.

I am struggling with coming up with a method that players could use in order to make their own aspects that isn't obviously magical (I wanted to make it so that aspects are the only source of magic). I even considered making it so that Aspects were only obtainable from looting dead mages but that takes away most of the fun with having a magic system as varied as this one. Imagine if it was impossible to have canemancy just because the Gm never decided to make an aspect of canes a loot drop. Anyway, what I'm thinking of is making it so that a player has to perform a specific ritual in order to attract an aspect but then the question goes, how does one capture it then? Yes capturing is a mechanic I definitly want to add, there will be no deals (although I'll still let players try).

Ultimately my point is this. I made this arena game so I wouldn't have to worry about questions like "where do the aspects come from" and that type of stuff. I'm just here for some creative, mindless fun.

3. A 1 is disastrous. You'll probably end up accidentally swearing and making racial slurs thereby pissing off your aspect and make it reconsider it's loyalty toward you. Or you might instead make it attempt something that is completely counterproductive to what you want to do.

A 2 is giberish. You will probably annoy it but that's it.

A 3 is a significant misinterpretation. Most words will end up being swapped out with completely random ones and sentence structure may change.

A 4 is slight misinterpretation. Maybe a few words here and there are swapped but sentence structure will almost never change.

A 5 is said exactly as it's typed.

A 6 gives a more eloquent response but you may end up accidentally making a spell more powerful (and difficult) then you want it to.

Example: "throw a fire ball". [6] "throw a lava ball"

(As for the Jury comment, they've been doing this for 100 years. If the mages have never ever made a compelling case for why they should be freed, you'd probably want to rush the trial as well. After all, essentially all it is is wasting time.)

((Still, thanks for the questions, I enjoyed answering them. As a token of my gratitude I'll put you on top of the wait list ))

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 12:30:21 am »

Conein, the manly mage

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 02:17:36 am »

Dest eterna.
Could you do this color?
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 04:10:48 am »

Sicarius
Black with purple glow.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Magicians Marathon of Magical Murder: First turn has begun
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 08:31:45 am »

And so we Begin

First, The Manipulator opens his bag and finds his trusty aspect. Now this, this thing that he holds in his hands, it grants a power few could only ever dream of holding. It's powerful, it's dangerous, and there is no way to use it to benefit society. Exactly how The Manipulator likes it.

As he stares at his competition with dominance, he opens his mouth and says in the ancient tongue of the aspects

"Boom"

The mages are destroyed, the arena is destroyed, the entire population of New Franklin is destroyed, but most importantly The Manipulator finally avenged the death of his lover Laura at the hands of his brother Largo.

TAKE THAT LARGO!!!!!

Still a better love story than Twilight

Spoiler: Actual turn (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:42:08 am by heydude6 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13