Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: succesion fort, Delightfuly chalenging start! please do not posthere, old thread  (Read 2645 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

This is going to be a succesion fort with plenty of reclaims based on this map:http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152277.msg6407437#new

Rules: no cheating, two weeks and 1 ing year,CLEANLY UNINSTALL ALL GRAPHICS IF YOU USE THEM!

Turn list:
1neblime
2Gwolfski
3QuQuasar
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 09:03:05 am by Gwolfski »
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: (no name yet) succesion fort, Delightfully challenging start!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 07:27:06 pm »

sign me up!
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 08:46:29 pm »

ok starting now..
ok so I started it up thought, oh wow thats alot of cave creatures, but this wont be so bad.
and then they started zombifying.. oh lord..
so how many reclaims am I allowed on one turn?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 09:10:24 pm by neblime »
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 09:27:22 pm »

ok starting now..
ok so I started it up thought, oh wow thats alot of cave creatures, but this wont be so bad.
and then they started zombifying.. oh lord..
so how many reclaims am I allowed on one turn?
(Average survival lenght)/365 per turn (calculated in days.)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 09:40:35 pm »

Neblime Reliefpaint was his name
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He was not the smartest dwarf nor the strongest.  He liked the prickle berry wine made by humans more than the strong draughts of his fellow dwarves, he was short of temper and rather self important.  But this dwarf had such dreams for this place, "bonepillar", where others saw an armokforsaken jungle filled with wild beasts and zombies he saw gleaming gem encrusted halls and rooms, shining microcline walls and well fed and happy dwarves.
In retrospect the "armokforsaken jungle" bit was probably right.

Reliefpaint managed to convince 6 foolhardly of feebleminded dwarves to follow him to the cursed jungle.  On arrival a swarm of various cave animals suddenly erupted from a previously unseen cave nearby.
Also a rival expedition of dwarves appeared, seeking to claim this land as their own!
naturally this enraged Reliefpaint who charged in to battle them alone and unarmed.
unfortunately he was somewhat distracted by an unconscious troglodyte
eventually the fight went to the treetops where Reliefpaint mercilessly punched his defenseless foes (to no effect) before deeming them suitably intimidated and returning to the wagon.

concerned about the cave beasts running around randomly the other dwarves had built a wall around themselves.
For a time all seemed safe and the dwarves went about their business establishing a modest home within the walls, but soon the screams of wild beasts fighting each other gave way to something much more horrifying.
Lor Onoludil, the leader of the ill fated rival expedition had fallen in battle at some point, but the jungle did not allow the dead to rest, instead he was compelled to fight on as a lifeless zombie.
Easily scaling the short wall the shambling corpse jumped down amidst the unsuspecting dwarves.  Reliefpaint was the first to fall, from a single braincrushing punch to the head, the others soon followed.
It had seemed such a nice dream too...

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 09:45:15 pm »

Reclaiming now would mean all the zombies are still there and will attack you pretty much immediately. When I tried I died even quicker than on my first try. I recommend restarting completely.

Once you've restarted, make sure to get the picks, seeds, and enough food/drink to last you a few months inside, then seal yourself off. You have about 10 game days to do this before the giant bat corpses massacre you.

Don't bring all the supplies in. As long as one dwarf makes it inside, you can build a fort, so make a military alert and abandon anyone who doesn't get inside quick enough to the zombies.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 12:13:48 am »

I didn't see neblime post a save, and they also said to restart completely, so if you don't mind could I jump in first?  I managed to get all 7 dwarves alive underground with some seeds and the anvil, so the fort will probably be able to survive.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 04:46:50 am »

Hey im not done!  Havent given up yet.  Cant restart with proper equipment, the original save is already embarked, besides its all in the spirit of fun for us to be screwed right?

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 09:35:01 am »

Alrighty then, your previous post just looked kinda like you were passing it off.  As for the anvil, it appears I was mistaken.  Still can't believe you'd embark without an anvil.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 10:50:24 am »

i hereby give permission fort the users to make an anvil at a masons intead of blocks.(by modding)(just make one fire safe stone anvil, forge a normal one and unmod)
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 10:39:57 pm »

I've wanted to join one of these for a while.

Sign me up for turn 3.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 07:00:34 pm »

well it looks like restarting from the first embark is my only option after all.. my last few attempts can be summed up with two pictures
if only the non military dwarves would work or obey any orders while the others fought died

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 07:36:00 pm »

Reclaiming now would mean all the zombies are still there and will attack you pretty much immediately. When I tried I died even quicker than on my first try. I recommend restarting completely.

Once you've restarted, make sure to get the picks, seeds, and enough food/drink to last you a few months inside, then seal yourself off. You have about 10 game days to do this before the giant bat corpses massacre you.

Don't bring all the supplies in. As long as one dwarf makes it inside, you can build a fort, so make a military alert and abandon anyone who doesn't get inside quick enough to the zombies.

You managed to get seeds in with you? You're more resourceful than I was. I had to gather them up from scratch after breaching a cavern layer.

i hereby give permission fort the users to make an anvil at a masons intead of blocks.(by modding)(just make one fire safe stone anvil, forge a normal one and unmod)

For shame!
If you're going to allow that, it should at LEAST be an anvil made out of skulls.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 07:39:07 pm by Jazzeraint »
The silver is responsible for this How?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 02:21:00 am »

I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up, I've tried building walls or collapsing the wagon down a level as others have suggested but zombies always show up at the last moment, if I had more time I could probbly keep retrying until I got lucky, but sadly I haven't.
Best of luck to whoever's next!
(no need to upload save I was just restarting from the original)

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 03:23:45 am »

No worries neblime, this embark is terrible horrifying awesome.

But that being the case...

Gwolfski: I've already completed the first 3 seasons in this map, so if you'd prefer to take turn 2 than start over I could do a bit of an in-character writeup tomorrow and dwarf the survivors as required, and we could use that one.

The fort's had a bit of Fun since my last post in the other thread, so it won't be a perfect first year. One or two of the starting 7 might have had their heads explode into gore.

Let me know.
Pages: [1] 2