Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Automating the clothing industry  (Read 682 times)

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Automating the clothing industry
« on: August 01, 2015, 09:34:29 am »

I use workflow to automate most of my industry and am pretty happy about it. I have all furniture I use set to range 3-5, and use planning mode to mass place it, and then it works out so after a while everything is done without annoying warnings. For food and drink I just set a pretty big number and then I don't worry about it anymore. Soap is automated by setting ash and lye to 3-5, soap a bit higher. I automate metal bars at around 50 and bolts at 100, and then use the manager to get armor and weapons as needed, I guess I could overproduce them as well.

However, I don't really get the clothing industry working without massive cancellation spam. Main problem is the (imho stupid) forced distinction between silk, cloth, and yarn, so I ask for 200 thread (which can be created from all three) and then X cloth of each type, and put jobs in separately for silk/yarn/cloth cloaks, mittens, socks, and trousers. This seems to solve the supply problem, but I get spam all the time when e.g. I run low on socks, the cloth sock unsuspends, but there is no cloth as there is so much yarn that no cloth or plant thread was needed. This completely fills my announcement log, making it nearly useless.

I guess I could specialize on cloth only, not buy any yarn and not collect any silk, but it would be nicer to offer a mix of clothing to my dwarves.

Also, I've not bothered with dyeing yet since it doesn't work yet without.

How do other people automate the clothing industry?

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Automating the clothing industry
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 10:15:08 am »

I started using workflow specifically for clothing. I guesstimate how much of each type of cloth I produce, and queue the various pieces only for one type of fabric... silk pants, leather shoes, wool robes or whatever. If cancellation happens more than the occassional "can't see the bin I'm looking at" I reevaluate and maybe move one piece to a different material. Or switch them around just because, wool socks are sooo 367.  :D

For fabric production I rely more on autoloom and simple repeat jobs, every now and then I check farmer and dyer and unsuspend everything that got cancelled since the last time. If the process plants job never cancels anymore, its time to build another farmer workshop. I think your way keeps possible overproduction as raw material, while mine collects it only as finished, possibly dyed, cloth. Easier to see in the stocks screen who much there is of each type, and the cancellation messages remain meaningful.

Not perfect detail control, but robust enough overall.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 06:50:18 pm »

I'm on my 2nd try at a very high population
fort.
For a while I had 50 each llama/alpacas
3 shops beside each pasture.
The shear animal would randomly suspend.the spin thread would also. Got tired of it, and slaughtered them all.

Moving inside I have six 5*5 fields, pigtails and dimple cups.
mill plants/process plants suspend a lot. Major pain reseting 4 millstones, 3 workshops.
Then my 1 dyer shop suspends!!
All jobs are just set "r" no workflow involved.
My 2 looms work just fine, nothing on "r" just autoloom on in orders screen.
My 2 clothier shops use workflow and seem to function ok, except I think some items can't be made from cloth/yarn wich I'm not worried about.
Figured id just buy from caravans, good plan eh?
My 3rd vampire keeps becoming mayor, and being locked up can't meet with the liaison...well that's just friggin great.
Vamp3 must die, and soon.

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 08:34:33 pm »

My 3rd vampire keeps becoming mayor, and being locked up can't meet with the liaison...well that's just friggin great.
Vamp3 must die, and soon.

Your solution begins with 'M' and ends in 'agma'. Or possibly begins with an 'O' and ending in 'bsidian casting'.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.