Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Long Dark - Canadian Survival game  (Read 2791 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Long Dark - Canadian Survival game
« on: August 01, 2015, 08:15:15 pm »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/305620/

Looks to get great reviews on steam. The art style looks amazing, its only singleplayer (which some may not like, I actually like that) and looks really hard, but fun.

Here is a video (though some of you may find him annoying)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJSxtqUylCQ

That is how I found about it at first.

Anyone play it and think it is worth getting? The game looks great.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Dark - Canadian Survival game
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 08:22:51 pm »

Also, dunno if there is a thread about this game here or not. I searched on here and tried through Google and found none. But, this search engine is a bit weird as searching "The Long Dark" finds every thread/post with long and dark in it lol
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 08:58:09 pm »

You can now travel between all 3 of the map zones, which I thought was pretty cool.  The way loot and tool/clothing degradation is pretty stupid though.  The moment you loot any article of clothing, it will start to degrade whether you are wearing it or not.  Tools like say, a can opener, can only open 6-10 cans before breaking.  Dunno why they decided that was a good idea.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 05:41:54 pm »

That sounds cool that they connected them up. Are the regions pretty big?

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 06:10:40 pm »

Yeah they're huge.  If you're a completionist type of person, you can probably survive hundreds of days by looting 2 of the regions and settling permanently in the last region.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 06:37:39 pm »

This looks pretty awesome actually and I've got a bit tired of the genre.
My only concern is that there just don't seem to be many threats other than the weather, and the wolf battles seem a bit lame. I mean I'm not expecting/wanting a day-z experience, but I can imagine getting a bit bored without some sort of danger to keep me on my toes.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 09:23:27 pm »

This looks pretty awesome actually and I've got a bit tired of the genre.
My only concern is that there just don't seem to be many threats other than the weather, and the wolf battles seem a bit lame. I mean I'm not expecting/wanting a day-z experience, but I can imagine getting a bit bored without some sort of danger to keep me on my toes.

Well, while looking through the steam forum for the game. There were quite a few posts about how boring the game got later on. Guess in those posts they said best part of the game was early on when having to find stuff to survive. And guess wolves can be hard to find. So I may end up holding off buying as it develops more. But, the game looks beautiful, the setting is great and it isn't the typical survival multiplayer dayz experience where you just get griefed over and over or get ambushed by hackers lol.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 09:37:30 pm »

It's the other kind of survival game where you go looking for food so you can have the energy to look for food.
Shoes...

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 09:40:27 pm »

It's the other kind of survival game where you go looking for food so you can have the energy to look for food.

So, sorta like that one 3d island game? Survival island or something? You got stranded on a ship, and the graphics looked like they were made in java and sorta Wurm-like. You could build a little tropical paradise. And the animals on the island had the worst AI ever, but for some reason...I played the game for an entire month even though it was really basic really lol. And if you did the story part of it, it had a random pirate and made no sense lol. Know what game I'm talking about? That is one of the first games I found when I first signed up to bay12 forums lol.

But the whole point was to get food, and keep hydrated (I believe water was a thing) and make sure you didn't starve. The animals were more of a distraction really. There were some mods made for it which were cool.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 09:54:42 pm »

I think it was just called stranded?  I don't remember a pirate.  But yeah.

Most of these survival games boil down to that, we've been scraping the extreme bottom of the barrel.  This game has some interesting ideas but when I played it it felt like every other early access survival game.

The only one I've liked so far is Subnautica, half because of the unique setting and half because you can disable the hunger and thirst.  They really just take over the game, make it feel like work.

Even then I only played it for a couple days before I ran out of things to do.  Lots of neat stuff to see but nothing actually there.
Shoes...

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 05:04:33 am »

Yeah I'm going to pass on it till it's a bit more developed. Whilst I get that they don't want it to be an action game, there's only so much enjoyment you can get out of collecting food/medical supplies - especially as you can normally stockpile them quite easily.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 06:58:53 am »

So I've picked this one up, which has been around since 2014. The team recently released version 1.50, which includes a new weapon and some extra gear. They've got two of five sections of their main storyline finished, and the release is slowly rolling forward for completion of the rest of the story mode gameplay.

One thing I found interesting to learn is that, rather than push forward with the story mode, the development team listened to their playerbase feedback on their initial two episodes and went back to redo them, removing pointless fetch quests in favor of more story driven activities that actually added something to the game's lore. I respect the team for actively working to improve their game instead of simply pushing out more content.

I've sunk a few weeks into this, and I can reliably avoid starving or freezing to death on the default difficulty. I'm contemplating moving up to a higher difficulty setting soon, once I'm more familiar with the maps. While loot generation is semi-random, the maps themselves are all hand-crafted to provide challenging and rewarding experiences for each playthrough, and part of the slow, silent charm of this game is exploring the locations available.

Frankly, I'm in love with this solitude simulation. No other players, no zombie hordes, just man versus nature in a struggle to survive. Even just leaving the main menu open to listen to the blowing wind and birdsong is heavenly.

I highly recommend trying this game.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 10:05:46 am »

Yep, absolutely superb game. A gem. However, the episodes releases have come to a complete halt. Not sure I like that they redid the story mode, I had no issues with it.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 12:26:51 pm »

This is one of my favourite survival games. I usually play them with a friend so I was a bit skeptical about playing one on my own. I was impressed by the atmosphere of solitude the game cultivated, it wouldn't have been the same experience playing with another person. I am looking forward to getting back into it to see the changes.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2019, 05:17:59 am »

Wow, best start ever. I decided to try my hand at Desolation Point, since I'm tired of Mystery Lake starts. End up spawning right in front of Hibernia Processing, with three wolves patrolling the outside. I quickly run inside and explore.

By the time I walk out of the building, I have a knife, hatchet, hacksaw, hammer, and a fully loaded revolver. Those three wolves were mighty tasty!

I end up spending 40 days at Desolation point, cleaning out the map before I leave wearing fully crafted clothing, a moose satchel and hauling over 80kg of bear and moose meat. About the only two items I didn't find were a magnifying lens and a set of cooking pots. Honestly, by that stage my survivor was so well off he basically couldn't lose.

Then I went and tried an Interloper run, spawned on Skeeter's Ridge and survived all of three days before I froze to death trying to reach Carter Dam.
Pages: [1] 2