Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Multiplayer Arms Race game, interest check and discussion  (Read 2167 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiplayer Arms Race game, interest check and discussion
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 10:26:20 am »

actually perpetual war and both sides hellbent of destroying each other makes the game interesting. In MMOs, 3-side games are the main ingredient in perpetual drama, people accusing other of playing politics and such.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 11:09:12 am »

To each his own I think. I prefer interesting stories to competitive matches.

One of thing that I want to adress with design games is "wikipedia" problem. AK-47 can be created by late 19th century tools without many problems should timetraveler bring blueprints there.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 11:24:07 am »

To each his own I think. I prefer interesting stories to competitive matches.

One of thing that I want to adress with design games is "wikipedia" problem. AK-47 can be created by late 19th century tools without many problems should timetraveler bring blueprints there.
No, they aren't interesting stories. They will rather curse other players, and unless there is some superior GMing its hard to police.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 11:35:11 am »

Seems interesting.

I typically don't play these arms design games since I always end up feeling like there isn't a point when it's just the one side, but I like the 'design your unit' style games, which this seems similar to.

EDIT: Sidenote, 3-side wars are actually really goddamned rare in real life, and while they can work out well from a balance perspective for games that are purely about war and don't have to worry about the eventual consequences of such wars, they simply don't usually happen.

Hell, even in 1984, we were always allied with one of the other sides. Only two sides in that war. Just switches around what those two contain.

I would recommend an odd number of players, though.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:37:10 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 03:35:58 pm »

Wait, another one? What happened to Commissar of armaments2?

Also, 5 weapon design games ongoing at once is a bit much, dontya think? Particularly when you are running two of them...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 03:40:02 pm »

See the first post. I may continue the commissar as it got rather amusing situation with incompetent generals, if sensei's game didn't caught my attention, my own would go forward
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 03:42:32 pm »

Fair enough.

So, how are you doing this? This thread is used for actual turns, people PM you what they are doing?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 03:44:05 pm »

This is an interest check so far. I am not sure that I will try and defenetly I will not try now when design games are everywhere.
Pages: 1 [2]