Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf wthout any debuffs!  (Read 1890 times)

hemperor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf wthout any debuffs!
« on: August 03, 2015, 08:50:42 am »

I'm starting a game right now, a theres this dwarf without any red debuffs, just good old green attributes how often this happens, is a normal thing???

thanks for the help!

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf wthout any debuffs!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 09:30:19 pm »

die uberzwerg
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 02:43:26 am »

die uberzwerg

What?

But yes that can happen.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 02:45:38 am »

Zwerg is dwarf in German.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 03:08:31 am »

Also, attributes change. You danger-room train soldiers, they have green in every physical attribute.
One wheel short of a wagon

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 04:54:24 am »

No dump stats would be a more accurate description, if you want to use rpg terms.

Last time I had one like of these I made them a soldier from the start. A year of training later they still passed out from exhaustion every few sparring moves. Dampened my enthusiasm for such starting descriptions a bit.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 01:52:55 pm »

No dump stats would be a more accurate description, if you want to use rpg terms.

Last time I had one like of these I made them a soldier from the start. A year of training later they still passed out from exhaustion every few sparring moves. Dampened my enthusiasm for such starting descriptions a bit.

Did he have any injuries? Specifically anything that will affect breathing?

hemperor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 02:22:30 pm »

thanks man! i was trying to use the right term, dump stats! that is.
I dont even know nothing about military yet! its a intellegent move to create a axedward, a hammerdwarf and a ranged in differents squads or mix everything? i'm just going to open the dwarf therapist and go for the strongest dorfs and make a squad! but i don't know the right way so far!

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 06:57:44 am »

Keep ranged and melee in different squads, so you can order them around seperately. And it takes two to spar, better avoid single dorf squads; anything bigger than two is a matter of taste. Mixing melee types in one squad works ok, I like having some of each attack type together. The military quickstart guide on the wiki is good too get you going.

Checking them in therapist is a good idea, my weirdo was all red in the bodily attributes, I guess some of their numbers were just a hair above the cutoff for a red message. But dwarves get stronger with training anyway, had the fort survived they might have grown out of the passing-out stuff eventually.

@ simrobert: No injuries at all, never winded, just "passed out from exhaustion". It wasn't all that interesting at playtime or I had investigated more.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 07:44:36 am »

You probably want squads to be reasonably large, because a number of them won't show up when ordered to (refill canteen, eat, drink, sleep, pick up new equipment, pick up new supplies...).

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 05:20:51 pm »

You probably want squads to be reasonably large, because a number of them won't show up when ordered to (refill canteen, eat, drink, sleep, pick up new equipment, pick up new supplies...).

Squads of two is just for sparring purposes, as two soldiers set to train will spar instead of several organizing a "biting" drill >.>  Some also use this as a form of arranged marriage (sparring partners spend so much time together they often hook up if they can). 

Once it actually comes time for battle... yeah you want full squads (or at least several). 

And to the OP... I've found (more than one) dorf as the inverse of this.  ALL RED STATS >.> Not a single good quality... guess who got to be the butt monkey of that fort? heh  .

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 02:23:04 am »

die uberzwerg
My following comment is off-topic:
Actually, it would be "der Überzwerg" (if the dwarf is male), or "die Überzwergin" (if the dwarf is female). For indefinite articles it would be "ein Überzwerg" (male) or "eine Überzwergin" (female). Also, the correct way to replace "ä", "ö" and "ü" are "ae", "oe" and "ue". They are not just vowels with dots above them, and if you replace them with "a", "o" and "u", nasty things may happen.

Oh, and substantives are always capitalized in germany. So "die uberzwerg" is not german, it is english (and probably an imperative).

Sorry about this rant. But I really recommend to take a short look at the linked blogpost. It's rather funny (and not only about german diacritics, but about polish, finnish, turkish, spanish, irish and danish diacritics).
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 04:33:28 am »

Hmm. It's an 83.333333333% that a unit will be either positive or neutral in an attribute, so it's about 3.13% (0.833333333333^19) of dwarves who will have no negative.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 10:24:39 am »

I've seen it before. I always, always make them soldiers. Red in a physical stat is easy to overcome with enough training, but the mental ones can be challenging.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 12:40:48 pm »

Red mental attributes aren't a -huge- deal, as the only ones that affect combat (to my knowledge) are spatial and kinesthetic sense.

EDIT: Focus and Willpower as well.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:43:21 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.