Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Random Discussion  (Read 8869 times)

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
Random Discussion
« on: August 03, 2015, 06:51:53 pm »

Hey Bay Watchers,

I just joined a few days ago and I was wondering two things:

How do I upload an image from my computer?
How do I get it to be a non-obscene size?
How do I get it inside a spoiler?

Thanks,
Yet Another Escaped Lunatic
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:24:11 am by LordBrassroast »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: I am a newb
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 07:19:13 pm »

http://imgur.com/
You can let the spoiler handle the size or use "[img width=#]Your URL here[/img]" or "[img height=#]Your URL here[/img]", where # is the number of desired pixels.
Spoilers are "[spoiler=Insert optional spoiler title]Spoiler text.[/spoiler]". The nuke icon is a shortcut.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:20:45 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 11:53:53 pm »

I agree with everything Bumber said, but to be more specific, you first upload the image to imgur (or another image hosting website), then get the direct link from that site, use [img width=<number of pixels> height=<number of pixels>]http://<direct link that you copied from imgur>[/img] with the blanks filled in. Just putting "width=<number>" and leaving out the  "height=<number>" part will automagically scale it. As for spoilers, place the desired thing between (spoiler)<thing here>(/spoiler) tags, except square brackets instead of round ones.

Also, welcome to Bay12! May your stay be long and awesome.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 08:47:38 am »

Alright, thank you very much everyone!
How does this look?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, I found that image on a website called The Toast, in an article called "The Most Metal Deaths in Middle Earth".

http://the-toast.net/2015/06/23/the-most-metal-deaths-in-middle-earth-ranked/

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 08:50:43 am »

Fine, you could even post 2x as large and still be fairly ok, if a little inconvenient to scroll past, to most laptop users.

Oh, btw, this thread may well turn into a general discussion chat thread about whatever's on people's mind. Try to get used to it early on, is my advice.
One wheel short of a wagon

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 10:47:46 am »

Ok, whatever. In that spirit, did you know when you go inside a black hole, no one can tell, because there is always an image of you exactly what you looked like before crossing the event horizon, because light cannot escape a black hole?

Astrophysics is pretty armokdamned awesome.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 12:34:24 pm »

Yah. It's pretty freaking awesome. Here's another thing having to do with light:
If there was a cannon that shot a cannonball at the speed of light, and you fired it at someone very, very far away, the cannonball would hit them in the face the moment they saw you fire the cannon. I wish I had a cannon like that.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 02:12:06 pm »

Not just an image of you. Time is actually dilated. Gravity wells cause the same compression / stretching of time that traveling at the speed of light does. It's the same equation that says as you approach the speed of light time is compressed: near light speed you could travel to Alpha Centauri in one second, yet it would appear to me that you took four years to get there - you appear almost frozen to me during the trip!

This is the same effect as falling into a black hole. Once you reach the event horizon you experience the same time dilation as hitting light speed - it's instantaneous for you, but takes an eternity for outside viewers.

Here's an analogy, imagine you're sending messages once per second, but they take 1 week for me to get them. Once I get your first message, then I will get a new message once per second, not once per week. They're delayed, but the interval is the same. If you keep sending one message per second, but I observe that they drop to one per two seconds, I can only infer that either you've slowed down, or you are moving away from me, hence messages come less frequently. But with a black hole, the observed person isn't observed to be moving away and the distance / space distortion between me and the black hole never changes. Hence, the apparent slowing of a person who hit a black hole cannot be explained by the doppler effect. The doppler effect cannot occur for something that isn't moving.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:19:33 pm by Reelya »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 02:17:04 pm »

Yah. It's pretty freaking awesome. Here's another thing having to do with light:
If there was a cannon that shot a cannonball at the speed of light, and you fired it at someone very, very far away, the cannonball would hit them in the face the moment they saw you fire the cannon. I wish I had a cannon like that.
The funny thing would be when far-away people think that looking at you firing the cannon causes cannonballs to hit them in the face.
"If you just don't look, the cannonball can't hit you!"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 02:23:07 pm »

Maybe we can make quantum cannons that work like that. They put you in a superposition of hit and not hit, then the wave collapses into you don't exist anymore.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 03:23:59 pm »

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 04:18:48 pm »

Ok, whatever. In that spirit, did you know when you go inside a black hole, no one can tell, because there is always an image of you exactly what you looked like before crossing the event horizon, because light cannot escape a black hole?

Astrophysics is pretty armokdamned awesome.
Except the image rapidly redshifts into invisibility. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 04:55:57 pm »

hello
i hope we can be a friend
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 09:08:19 pm »

I'm going to sig that if you don't mind.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 09:13:59 pm »

XD I'll do that too. Why not?
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: [1] 2