Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Fortress Mode: The RPG  (Read 8346 times)

Reality_Unknown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Mode: The RPG
« on: November 28, 2007, 01:36:00 am »

Hi, i've noticed that folks around here enjoy the roleplaying aspects of dwarf fort and i figured other people out there would like to play an rpg of a party of dwarves who seek to start their own outpost. I hope there will be fun had by all, just create or pick a character and hop in, or if you are shy i can hop you in and   introduce you if you tell me you want me to do that.
    I will be using GURPS for the rules, you can see there rules here PDF or view them Here. you dont have to learn the rules if you dont want to i can roll for you if you prefer, here are some premade characters for your conveniance Pick one of me!

Once you have a character,name them and  buy him some equipment, after paying for your share of a wagon and 2 oxen you have 600$ to spend unless you are poor, then you have 200$ to spend.

$Equipment you can buy:$
100 Huge Backpack
60  Backpack
5   12 hour candle
10  wineskin (empty)
300 tent for 20 dwarves
50  tent for one dwarf
5   blanket
5   300lb rope/10 yards
55  fishing pole
5   personal basics (flint+tinder, cup, towel ect.
20  climbing gear
50  group basics (pot, hatchet ect.
200 wardog or huntingdog, 300 if smart 130 if stupid
0   cats are free! (but dont like eachother)
100 puppy

15  copper pick
12  shovel
6   wheelbarrow
300 carpentry tools
600 machinist tools
3   torch
10  6 bandages
60  shield
90  large shield
340 leather armour
645 mail armour
50  axe
500 repeating crossbow
150 crossbow

Clothes:
20  assorted rags
60  peasent clothes
120 commoner clothes
240 proffesional clothes
180 winter clothes

Food:
2   seed bag
5   weeks worth of hardtack
15  weeks worth of plump helmets
30  weeks worth of fish
60  weeks worth of meat
70  weeks worth of cheeses
Drink:
4   one bottle of dwarven rum
6   one bottle of beer
9   one bottle of wine

Reality_Unknown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Mode: The RPG
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 01:44:00 am »

Scene: Just outside the capital
Description: An artificial waterfall marks the enourmous  entrance to the dwarven capital, its ornate beauty is marred however by the feild of loose stone stacked up all around  this rocky outcropping. Nearby a granite trade depot stands full of long forgotten nicknacks, inside, The Administrator taps his feet impatiently, waiting for the rest of the expediation to arrive. Standing around are several lazy dwarves on break, among them, and old coot whittling some stone on a rocking chair. Somewhere, amonge the maze of unused stone, a distant mad dwarf babbles.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 02:29:00 am »

I'm taking the smith!

Oddom couldn't beleive it had come to this. Sure, he had abandoned his apprenticship before completion, but ot was almost done, he was nearly a full fledged smith. No matter. The expedition had needed a smith, and he was as skilled a smith as they had a chance of getting. He stopped in front of administrator "Oddom ActedPattern, Metalsmith, reporting in"

large backpack
commoner clothes
small tent
Cat
personal basics
Blanket
5 weeks worth of fish
6 bottles of rum
group basics
10 bottles of wine

ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

rand0m

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 04:18:00 am »

((The Fisher... I've always wondered what it feels like to be eaten by carps...))

Nek lent against the wagon and took a swig from his bottle of rum. Three years. It had been three years since his father had taken him aside and told him the rivers of his home fort would not support two fishers.

Burping, Nek pondered the last expedition he had left on, wondering if the new land the administrator had promised also contained endless hordes of warewolves. Not that he had a choice. When a dwarf is down to his last month of beer it's time to work again. Wandering over to the cart, he states in a gruff voice "Hic... Nek, Nek Odyna. Fisherdwarf. Remember. From the tavern, *he gestures over his shoulder at the backpack sitting against the wagon wheel* fisherdwarf.

Backpack (60)
Tent for one dwarf (50)
blanket (5)
fishing pole (55)
personal basics (5)
10 bottle of dwarven rum (39)
2 weeks worth of fish (60)
Stupid wardogardog (130)
Peasant clothes (60)
6 bandages (10)
wheelbarrow(6)

((I know it said poor... But I'm a good fisherdwarf, a life of poorness is not for one of my ilk))

Reality_Unknown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 05:08:00 am »

(dont worry about the money, im not picky, also, your wardog knows its name, to come when called(if it feels like it), will attack on command and tolerates dwarves.

THE ADMINISTRATOR walks over to beneath the trade depot, spreading his parchments out over a crate,in the shade.

THE ADMINISTRATOR: "Excellent, although the rest of your companions will probably be late at this rate, erm, im afraid i fell on my way here, so lets take this time to get this paperwork in order. Were you going to Shedimonol?, or Lomlorfotthor?, mabe Zagithid?, Nogleshnir is nice too, or mabe Sinedkob? Anyhow, here are the papers, they should refresh your memory

THE ADMINISTRATOR holds out a page, it reads "Shedimonol Nanulas Fer" steep cliffs,  cool climate, sparse trees, sparse vegetation, and a gentle brook.

the OLD COOT nearby overhears, and continues crafting a flint mug

OLD COOT: "Oh no no no, I would'nt go there if i were you, you wouldent be the first group to try though... not even the traders returned, heard tale of 'em being driven off by nightwings, chasin' 'em all down one by one!, and feeding 'em totheir little ones 'is what i heard, true story. The same'll happen to you's if you go, you'll see!."

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 07:11:00 am »

I'll take miner.
1 backpack (borrowed from a neighbor)
1 copper pick (old, but very well mended. repeatedly.)
1 set of peasant clothes (new, if a little dusty)
1 set of rags (worn)
1 week worth of hardtack.
other stuff borrowed long ago: 2 spoons, a metal cup, a piece of flint, and a worn towel with the words '..mpa..am ..lath' barely visible, he claims it to be his grandfathers name.
1 cat (wanted to take 255, upon finding out they were free, but decided against it- they take up space  :( )

Ked came from around the nearest corner carrying a collection of items better described as "a pile of stuff".
'ah, good'- he said - ' I see you haven't left yet.'
dumping his stuff in a pile on the ground so now it fully resemblied it's description, he continued his questions.
'so, old ... man, you know about this place? are there gems? lots and lot of them right? - now turning to the administartor - we won't be shoveling sand for 9 moths like last time, right?'

I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 07:21:00 am »

I'll be the wood cutter. I haven't played GURPS in a looooooooooong time though.

Olin Rigothvod gazed absent-mindedly into the forest.  At his feet lay the backpack with his meager belongings. A new start was definitely something that Olin needed right now.  He was a dwarf without a family, without standing and without much in the way of belongings either, which meant in the eyes of his contempories, he wasn't much of a dwarf at all.

An expedition, fame, fortune and family all awaited those who were hard working and fortunate enough. And Olin was feeling pretty damn lucky.

He was sitting behind the administator, who had given him one look, then ignored the woodsman.  Olin didn't mind, he was used to it. But things would change soon. Oh yes...

Equipment:
60 Backpack
50 tent for one dwarf
5 blanket
5 personal basics (flint+tinder, cup, towel ect.

300 carpentry tools
10 6 bandages
50 axe

Clothes:
120 commoner clothes

What are we doing about stats/advantages/disadvantages/skills?
Food:
15 weeks worth of plump helmets

Drink:
4 one bottle of dwarven rum

Mud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 09:37:00 am »

I'll start a trapper, who might qualify as poor, but I'm only giving her general wilderness survival stuff. I'll set up a character sheet once I figure out what I'm doing.

City life had been too much for Thikut Singchapters. Her last haul of furs from the frozen north had bought her ale enough for a thousand dwarves, but it had taken not even a month to exhaust every last barrel. It seemed a dwarf couldn't spring a tap without drawing at lease a dozen of the capital's idle citizens, and Thikut swore she'd shave her beard had she drank even a tenth of her hard-earned drink. Of course, the city-dwarves had spared no time departing after the last mug was filled, and now it seemed there was nothing to be done but to once again endure the winding trail northward. She cursed the granite of the city's trade depot as she passed.

However, as she lead her faithful Bonestreaked past the wagon stopped at the depot, the dog suddenly stopped, began a low growl then dashed to the other side of the wagon, barking furiously. Enraged at the interruption, Thikut unloaded her gear onto damp clay beneath her feet and marched behind the wagon fully resolved to skin and butcher the insolent hound right there.

When she saw the sight that greeted her, she really started to get angry.

"NEK FISHERDUNCE!" she thundered, "I wouldn't have guessed I'd meet you here! Shouldn't you be facedown in a mug of MY ALE?"

"Who in the Lordax-" the startled and drunken dwarf began before Thikut managed to clear the distance between them.

"OH, I see you've got your own now, eh?" She easily plucked the bottle from his hands and gulped down her revenge. "Ah, Westclasps 1001 rum. You can always tell it by the distinctive donkey meat flavor and the utter lack of taste among those who drink it. Of course, since it's all you have, it'll do fine." She thrust the bottle back at him as she grabbed another full bottle from his belt.

"Here now!" The dwarf protested, but Thikut had already turned to enter the trade depot and she had no time for yet another lazy fortress-dweller. She emerged a few minutes later and informed Nek that he could finish repaying his debt to her once they reached Shedimonol together. The rum in her belly began to melt her cares away as she loaded her gear into the wagon.

Clothing:

1 Assorted rags (leather and fur, homemade)
1 Backpack

Equipment:

1 Personal basics
1 Blanket
1 Single-dwarf tent
1 Rope
1 Climbing Gear
1 Shovel
1 Wineskin
6 Torches
18 Bandages

3 Weeks of hardtack
1 Bottle of rum (stolen from Nek)

Weapons:

1 Crossbow
1 Hunting dog (Bonestreaked)

(Total 600 on the dot minus the stolen rum, though if you don't mind it'd be nice to have the dog be a smartie.)

[ November 28, 2007: Message edited by: Mud ]

Reality_Unknown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 04:43:00 pm »

(there seems to be some interest in folks creating their own characters so this should help, it's is my translation of the skills . Use 50 points and up to -25 points of disadvantages. The costs are in the PDF, for example being dead broke is a -25pt disadvantage and being comfortable (2000$ - 300$ = 1700$) is a 10 point advantage.

dominant stat - difficulty - skillname (GURPSname)
IQ-A(Average)-Miner
IQ-A-Bowyer (AKA Armoury:Bowyer)
IQ-E(Easy)-Carpenter
IQ-E-Woodcutter
IQ-A-Engraver
IQ-E-Mason
DX-A-Ambush (AKA Sneak)
IQ-H-Animal Caretaking (AKA Veterenary)
IQ-A-Animal Trainer (AKA Animal Handling)
IQ-A-Trapping
IQ-A-Armoursmith (AKA Armoury:armour)
IQ-E-Furnace Operator
IQ-A-Metalcrafter
IQ-A-Blacksmith
IQ-A-Weaponsmith (AKA Armoury:weapons)
IQ-H(Hard)-Gem Cutting/Gem Setting (AKA Jewlery)
DX-A-Bonecarver
DX-A-Clothier
DX-A-Glassmaker
DX-A-Leatherworker
DX-A-Stoneworker
DX-A-Woodcrafter
IQ-A-Appraiser (AKA merchant)
IQ-H-Building Designer (AKA Engineer:architect)
IQ-A-Record Keeper (AKA Accounting)
IQ-A-Cooking/Fish Cleaning/Butchery/Cheese Making
Per-E-Fishing
IQ-A-Brewing
IQ-A-Herbalist/Butchery (AKA Survival)
IQ-A-Planting/Milking/Milling/Potash Maker/Soaper/Thresher (AKA Farming)
IQ-E-Tannery
IQ-A-Mechanic (AKA Machinist)
IQ-A-Seige Engineer (AKA Engineer:Artillery)
DX-A-Seige Operator (AKA Gunnery)
HT-E-Swimming
Dx-A-Axe/Mace
DX-A-Hammer
DX-E-Crossbow
DX-A-Shield
DX-A-Spear
DX-A-Sword
DX-A-Wrestle
DX-A-Throwing
IQ-H-Physician
IQ-H-Surgery
IQ-E-First Aid

Reality_Unknown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 05:40:00 pm »

THE ADMINISTRATOR: "Quiet down you old coot, they dont need to hear your tall tales. Besides, if it were true how would you have heard of it? were there not no survivors?."

OLD COOT:*to Ked* "Havent you heard a word a word i said, gems wont be what yer lacking, it'll be your head, and also, with so few tree-"

THE ADMINISTRATOR: *interrupting the old man* "What our esteemed EAVESDROPPER means to say, is that out finest prospectors have assured us these locations are our finest areas for above all, quality mountainside, freshwater, and no aquafier. But if Shedimonol worries you, and you are willing to travel, mabe you will be interested in Zagithid, decidous forest, lush vegettion, and a healthy creek, a fine chouce, you can trust me on this.If you dont find any gems, I will come bring you some myself, what do you say?"

THE ADMINISTRATOR picks up the next parchments from the crate, and presses it into Ked's arms for him to peruse. It reads "Zagithid Sholkiknoksam Neshast, Many trees, much vegetation, creek, temperate climate."t

OLD COOT: "Devil Rock? You'd send em to be ravaged by the timberwolves and worse that stalk that forest. Ye'r a callous dog Etembur, y'oud send em straight over a cliff if it lessened y'er paperwork. ...I heard story, in fact, of a devious kobold, chased down that way, and rather than be run-through than flee into those sinister woods. 'ats how i heard it, true story it is, true story..."

Mud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 05:50:00 am »

Here's some stats. Lemme know if I did anything wrong. I donno if you wanted to do quirks but I put them in there because DX and IQ are pretty expensive and none of the other disadvantages really made sense with my character.

ST: 10
DX: 12 +40
IQ: 11 +20 (60)
HT: 10

Appearance:
Voice +10 (70)

Disadvantages:
Bad Temper -10 (60)
Impulsiveness -10 (50)

Quirks:
Dislikes city-folk (though not nearly to the level of intolerance) -1 (49)
Dislikes authority -1 (48)
Unempathetic (-1) (47)
Careless with material goods (-1) (46)
Missing a toe on the right foot (causes balance problems in certain situations) -1 (45)

Skills:

Crossbow 13 (48)
First Aid 11 (49)
Trapping 10 (50)

rand0m

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 03:11:00 pm »

Nek looked at the remaining bottle of rum sitting next to her. She could have sworn there were three a minute ago. Shaking her head she wondered who all these people were. Idley she put her bag into the wagon, climbed in after it and made herself a cubby hole between the bags. Taking another swig and finishing her rum, she promptly falls asleep.

Reality_Unknown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 02:53:00 am »

(Thikut, if you want a smart dog *POOF* it is now smart. It knows not only "fetch, attack, sit, find, heel, track (skill 15)" but you can nearly speak to it., also being a dwarf you get +1 HT and -1 Move. )

*After a long awkward pause about THE ADMINISTRATOR's depraved indifference, he beckons those dwarves remaining beside him towards his papers*

THE ADMINISTRATOR: "Well i dont hear any objections, Zagithid Sholkiknoksam Neshast it is!"DevilRock, the devious battles of risk", I have your map here... looks like it is a short 160 miles away. youll be passing near Lemlorfotthor "Fancyforest" and over the river Nogleshkob. Now if i could just get one of you to sign here, and claim responsibility as expedition leader, we can get this wagon rolling.*

*THE ADMINISTRATOR holds out a map giving directions and major landmarks to "DevilRock", and gestures to a quill and parchment where somone must sign as expedition leader. He begins backing up his papers into a neat neat stack.*THE ADMINISTRATOR holds out a map giving directions and major landmarks to "DevilRock", and gestures to a quill and parchment where somone must sign as expedition leader. He begins backing up his papers into a neat stack.

OLD COOT: *nearly falling off his rocking chair* "Nogleshkob?! "savagespoons" That accursed river nearly cost me me life, there i was, young as without enough sense to be fishing with a proper pole, Me leggins were rolled up and my poor fingers waited for a passing fish, and then i saw it! i'll never forget its terrible gaping maw! It gained a taste for dwarven flesh that day i tells ya! "bellyscales" the ravenous fishy, ...true story... Take the long route!, past the human town 40 miles from the riverford, ye'd be wise ta heed me in this, that rascal 'ould probably as big as a ox by now!

(you guys want me to post more often? i want to wait for time for responses but im flexible)

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 03:08:00 am »

"Look at all that alcohol stealing going on! Better hide mine." Oddom thought to himself as he stuffed his rum and wine to the bottom of his pack. Realizing the opprutunity to take charge, he quickly signed as expedition leader. "Ha! Just a week ago I was an apprentice taking orders, and now I'm going to be GIVING them"
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Mud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 03:42:00 pm »

Thikut plays with her beard, as though she's in deep thought. Eventually she decided to speak up.

"Well then, fearless leader, which path should we take? I'd opt for the long way around, though not for fear of any old man's carp. Either way, we're looking at less than a week's worth of marching, and everyone has more than enough food for that. I've got a feeling that something important might be waiting for us in that human town."

Once we start marching, I'd like my character to perform some hunting when she has the time. She moves faster than the average dwarf, so she should be able to do at least a little bit, and her dog can help with tracking game. She'll need some pelts and meat to trade for alcohol.

Also, what about bolts for the crossbow? Do they cost money, or is she just assumed to always have enough bolts?

edit: Oh, and as far as updates go, one a day seems fine for now. Most people have enough time to make a response for a single update once a day, if they feel like doing it, but the game still moves along. However, once the fortress gets up and running, it might make sense to update more frequently.

[ December 01, 2007: Message edited by: Mud ]

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15