Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Adventurer mode] Issues with skills  (Read 997 times)

Kars

• Bay Watcher
  • registered flex offender
    • View Profile
[Adventurer mode] Issues with skills
« on: August 04, 2015, 06:23:43 pm »

I have so many skills in adventurer mode that they get cut off at the bottom! Is there a way to fix this? And I've noticed that a lot of crafting skills (bone carving comes to mind chiefly) don't raise their respective attributes. Was that done intentionally, or is it a bug of some sort?
🇮🇹 dall'italia con amore🇮🇹

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: [Adventurer mode] Issues with skills
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 10:32:15 pm »

In the other thread you seemed to be talking about adventures with undead warlock castes? In which case probably working as intended.

Kars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 12:25:43 pm »

No no, it's with a normal dwarf this time. No castes. The skills raise but the attributes associated with those skills do not.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 12:42:14 pm »

Oh, i dunno then.  I'm not sure if you're comparing to something in vanilla or another mod, but the info on wiki seems to suggest it's a pretty slow process.

The speed of learning attributes is governed by "cost to improve" in PHYS_ATT_RATES and MENT_ATT_RATES. By default CTI for attributes is 500, which means the counter for using that attribute has to be incremented 500 times for the Dwarf to gain 1 in that attribute. The lower the CTI, the faster an attribute increases. According to [3] the counter is incremented every ten ticks a skill using that attribute is in use. This means it takes 5000 TUs or just over 4 in-game days of continuous labour to improve an attribute by 1. The improved attribute gain from military training may stem from the fact, that sparring and individual combat drills train multiple skills at the same time.

Kars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 06:52:05 pm »

Ahhhh, I think I see the issue. Time doesn't pass when you use crafting, or at least, not for bone carving or leatherworking. It's instant. No time passes, not even a little. I tested it to make sure, and after having a macro set up that repeated over 1000 times (with bones I collected for this exact purpose), I saw no movement from NPCS around me or change in the position of the sun using W. So, you gain skill points, because you're crafting with it, but no attribute points, because time doesn't pass (or at least passes VERY slowly) while it's in use.

Edit: Wanted to clarify that this is obviously not the case in fortress mode, exclusive to adventurer.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:53:49 pm by Kars »