Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [.34.11] Trampledlantern - To fight with humans?  (Read 9776 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: [.34.11] Trampledlantern - Death to all friends of nature!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 01:39:42 pm »

Guess who's in? Annoying me!~

Dibs on dorf, Lizard(ina) the Glorious, any gender + any profession. Also, random title would be great.

Kinda botched the title, but hey. The best part, it turns out I had been constantly misspelling the guy's name originally. I kept calling him Zulgar, it's Zuglar, and either one sounds like horribly slurred Lizard.

Dwarf me please.
Militia Commander or a military profession please.

Sergeant Lidku, swordsdwarf and farmhand.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 01:49:25 pm »

Awesome, this will be great!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 04:45:30 pm »

Awesome, this will be great!

Glad you approve of your dorf!

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 05:00:00 pm »

Loving the annotations with your pictures :)  I think the cursed Swamp Fortress of Legend would be proud.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 05:04:15 am »

Loving the annotations with your pictures :)  I think the cursed Swamp Fortress of Legend would be proud.

One can hope. Although I am a little bummed out because those stupid ravens are keeping anything dangerous from showing up.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 05:50:01 am »

kill 'em
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 06:22:59 am »

kill 'em

Killing fliers is easier said than done. The hunters have had some luck with storks, but those present a much bigger target than ravens do.

Plus I'd need to disable all hunting labors (which I don't feel like doing,) and make sure there's enough ammo to meet both the hunters' and marksdwarves' needs.

Speaking of which, I really need to get a marksdwarf squad set up...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 04:37:08 pm »

6th Granite, 190

Kubuk's begun working on something. She grabbed some stork bones and a chestnut log and set to work.

11th Granite, 190

Heroicjewel, The Reputed Sorcery. Certainly sorcerous as to where she got enough bone to make a solid spear-shaft... But at least my wife is safe and not completely batshit.

Kogsak also gave birth to her second child today, a little girl with seemingly boundless energy now that she's awake, named Lokum.

The caravan master also said that they got a message from back east, and have been asked to procure more weapons for the war effort, specifically crossbows and axes.

22nd Granite, 190

Two thieves, both found by Onul. And she got stabbed. Twice.

That is some impressively bad luck there to get shanked twice within a few hours.

24th Granite, 190

Once again, we have new residents!

Tobul, Treeslayer and speardwarf
Mistem, General smith and Macedwarf. Terrorpeak Veteran.
Sodel, Architect and axedwarf. Husband of Mistem.
Rith, Axedwarf and Furnace Operator. Furnace Rith.
Kogan, Fieldmedic and macedwarf.
Inod, Daughter and eldest child of our goblin-killing hero Nish. Mason and Axedwarf. Mason Inod.
Kel, Field medic and axedwarf. Mason Inod's wife.
Urvad, Farmhand and Swordsdwarf
Rakust, Farmhand and Swordsdwarf. Farmer Rakust
Fikod, Unskilled peasant and axedwarf. Wife of Farmer Rakust.
Avuz, Hunter.
Sigun, Mason. Has skill with both hammers and marksmanship. Wife of Avuz.
Id, surgeon and macedwarf. Surgeon Id.
Urist, Field Medic and Marksdwarf.
Inod, Surgeon and hammerdwarf. Surgeon Inod.
Unib, Axebrewer.
Edem, Butcher and swordsdwarf.
Olin, Planter and Speardwarf.
Dakost, Axedwarf and Pump Operator. Daughter of Sergeant Lidku and wife of Olin.
Urdim, Miller and hammerdwarf. Miller Urdim.
Inod, Beekeeper and marksdwarf. Bee Inod.

With these folk, our population is now 87.

2nd Slate, 190

I have a son! I was even in the room when he was born! Which is more than some husbands can say.

9th Slate, 190

Finally have storage spaces for trade goods being  set up. Should be finished by the season's end, though the miners are also busy with digging out accommodations for a noble.  Queen Erush has heard of us if the liaison is to be believed, and she's quite proud! Proud enough that she's willing to instate a Baron to act as ruler of The Murk of Toads!

Maybe not this year, but most likely next at the latest.

27th Slate, 190

Onul ran into yet another snatchers, though at least this time she avoided getting stabbed. That honor belongs to Nish, unfortunately. Fortunately he suffered no lasting injury, but he was quite agitated at getting stabbed in his weapon arm.

He and the snatcher fought a brief running battle, ineffectually trading blows until he landed a gutshot according to Ingish, who disabled the goblin with a mace strike to the small of his back. After breaking both of the goblin's legs as it continued scrambling away, she landed a heavy strike to the head. According to her squadmates, she might have overdone it some, because she needed help yanking her mace out of the bowl that used to be a goblin's skull.

I also found out after he got his arm stitched up, that he and Ingish have titles, bestowed by our people.

Nish is now called “The Coincidental Mastery of Cleaning,” presumably because he “cleans” the green and knife-eared stains from our land. Ingish got the less impressive moniker of “The Slow Mesh,” probably poking fun at her slow, but always deadly response times.

18th Felstie, 190

Elves were spotted this morning. Hopefully they brought more sunberries.

28th Felsite, 190

Several thieves and snatchers blundered into the horse and cow herds. No harm done.

12th Hematite, 190

Iton's already a legend among us as a bone carver, but he's started ranting and raving about “The perfect plan!” He proceeded to shut himself in a workshop, seize some reindeer and stork bones, a bar of platinum, and some claystone bricks. Also two people felt theneed to annoy me about seeds, when it's clearly the fault of whoever insists on using the sunberry seed barrel to store other seeds.

19th Hematite, 190

Iton finished that project. It's truly a marvel of crafting, but I kind of wish it were something more, well, useful.

22nd Hematite, 190

Migrants. At this point, I've long since stopped caring, as I need to focus on my son and labors. I've also put out (a highly unpopular) ban on hunting and fishing. I've also started looking into those willing to provide ranged support to the militia.

Most of this bunch are Terrorpeak veterans.

Kadol and Kulet. Dyer and Presser, and both axedwarves. Married.
Besmar, Beekpeer and Hammerdwarf. Has slain one of the arrogant invaders.
Ingish, ranger. Husband to Besmar.
Rith, Hunter. Hunter Rith.
Likot, Bone doctor.
Lorbam, Hammerdwarf and metalsmith. Potter Rith's mother, and Hunter Rith's Daughter.
Asob, leatherworker and macedwarf. Grandson of our slain macedwarf Tulon.

-

The ban was softened some by the announcement that all hunters were to be absorbed into the militia under Kumil and Mr Frog. Speaking of whom, he has been elected our first Mayor! And with that, my duties as leader fall to whomever he appoints to record the day-to-day efforts, making my order for a marksdwarf squad the last as leader.

I am Meng Tradedikes, Bookkeeper of Trampledlantern and The Red Relic who rules it.

Our current Mayor, Mr Frog Nutsalves, has tasked me with continuing to record the Chronicles of Trampledlantern, as I continually have my nose in books anyway. However, as I will need to meticulously go over reports or personally view battle, both duties will be slightly hamstringed; this is so that I can ensure no soldier tries to boast false acts of valor.

It is currently midsummer of the year 190. Our population sits at 100, and were are considered to be comparable to a Town in terms of industry and population. The first order from Mayor Nutsalves is that the mayoral lodgings (which previous overseer and site leader Splint Distinctsabres had already hollowed out,) be complete, as he is getting irritated going without rooms fitting his office.

190 MAL. 22

Rovod has been given a workshop of his own, that he may labor to produce impeccable weaponry. First implement made will go to Sergeant Kumil, a masterwork Iron Crossbow. Splint objected, but I reminded him we lack a skilled bowyer, and need wood for both more beds and to reinforce our walls.

Dwarven iron is superior regardless.

190 MAL. 26

Most of the marksdwarves have their needed weapons, but do not yet have their armors or ammunition. Thier habitual hunting has drained our munitions. Two new barracks have also been established, and a third squad can train at their leisure.

190 GAL. 19

A human caravan has arrived. Hopefully they will have the munitions we need.

190 LIM. 6

More housing units are being dug out at the Mayor's order. We have several in need of homes, and as autumn is upon us, we will surely have more refugees to feed and house. We have also begun processing an ample supply of pig tail plants for cloth. It is coarse compared to silk and even yarn, but does the job.

190 LIM. 27

Downward excavations have resumed, and we have struck gold! Wealth is truly in the corner of Tramplelantern!

Hello folks, we have another (short) update!

The reins of recording have passed from Splint to Bookkeeper Meng, and we've had some good population growth, the militia now has all of its squads able to train, and we have a marksdwarf squad now. We also have a mayor (a few seasons past when I thought we'd get one,) and have hit gold!

I've halted all hunting and fishing, mainly out of concern for an overdue beast attack. I have a feeling that the comment about ravens might come to bite me in the ass come next update.

So whatcha think? Does Meng seem like a fittingly different author compared to Splint?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 07:56:28 pm »

190 LIM 28

Migrants have arrived.

Reg Ringweb, Butcher. Assigned to process fat for soap and to replace Feb as manager.
Reg Sideposts, Butcher. Professes skill with swords.
Dodok Yornets, Farmhand. Professes skill with hammers.
Zasit Minesneaked, Stonecrafter. Professes skill with crossbows.
Tekkud Armortaker, Milker. Professes skill with swords.
Catten Cloisterreward, Farmhand. Professes skill with maces.
Ustuth Atticwaved, Fish cleaner. Professes skill with maces. Wife of Catten.
Ingish Rushedpaints, child. Daughter of Catten and Ustuth.

Already Mayor Nutsalves is mandating more beds for the new arrivals, and approves of my preemptive reassignment of Ringweb to tallowmaker and manager.

190 SND 2

The dig crew has hit a second cave. Rakust the lead miner orders a halt to excavations so that the shaft may be secured from the giant olm and red-eyed crocodile that dwell therein.

190 SND 3

The bone doctor Likot has become peculiarly secretive, and secluded herself in a workshop with a number of raw materials. A farmhand has also reported that someone keeps absconding with the seed barrels while he tries to do his assigned labor for the day.

The population sits at 110, with the addition of  a new baby. Farmhand Catten has enlisted with the militia and been issued a Masterful silver Rovod mace.

190 SND 7

Sublime for a boat.

190 SND 28

The remainder of the month has  passed without serious incident. An outland scout was spotted, but was swiftly run off by Macedwarf Nish. More coal and tetrahedrite has been mined. As we have more iron than copper, I have proposed we switch to iron armor.

Mayor Nutsalves has agreed, and I have organized the uniform, labelling it “Light Battle Uniform.”

190 TIM 4

A strange creature was spotted near the entrance. Lore describes it as a “grimeling.”

Colonel Ingish's squad fell upon it with a flurry of flying bludgeons. Unfortunately, it proved very resilient. Despite numerous broken limbs, it tried ceaselessly to murder one of the watch dogs.

They continued pummeling the cabbage-handed creature until Kogsak arrived and decapitated it.

190 TIM 8

The miners have been ordered to dig out the exposed vein of gold ore. I don't know what he plans to commission from the metal.

190 TIM 15

The merchants have come, and Sergeant Lidku celebrates their arrival with a party. Our labors and population now have us considered a full-fledged city as well. Splint oversaw trade, and offered 20,000 coppers in goods to Queen Erush's representative, as proof we are wealthy enough to warrant relocating the government to this location. Also such is our wealth, that even the extortionate rates charged for ammunition were not enough to prevent its purchase!

190 TIM 20

The engravers have finished smoothing out the great hall's walls. I have told them to stay their chisels, until such time has passed that when they begin to set history to stone, the elves will hear their screaming dead in our walls.

190 OPAL 2

Winter comes and moonstone passes quietly. The road is barricaded against wagons from all but the intended entry, and plinths for statues and message slabs erected.

However, while smoothing the floor of a housing unit, an engraver began behaving erratically, muttering to themselves and collecting materials. Once they had what they deemed was needed, they set to work. A possession.

190 OPAL 5

Sigun is narcissistic, but her rendition of an elf beast killing a hated greenskin is indeed stunning.

190 OPAL 17

Rovod is truly a master of war-related art!

There is truly no finer example of dwarf-portable elf-slaying design! Nor of finer materials, save the famed bones of the earth itself.

190 OPAL 22

Splint has put in requisition forms for new armor for the militia at Commander Ingish's request. I had the manager approve them after Mayor Nutsalves gave his approval on the order. We have also had a large wave of births, pushing the population to 118, roughly a quarter of our number being children.

190 OBS 5

A kobold was spotted early this morning by the reservist Adil. According to the treeslayer Tobul, Reservist Adil was quick to hit the kobold with his axe, knockiing it to the ground with the bit buried firmly in it. He explained at length the detail of the small criminal's entrails being yanked free with the axe.

After severing both arms, the kobold swiftly died, presumably from bloodloss.

190 OBS 10

Splint has the workers doing something without the approval of Mayor Nutsalves. What specifically I do not know, but many blocks have been marked for building some kind of transit duct for fluids and a swath of ground to be cleared of timbers, and many of those apparently intended for windmills.

190 OBS 19

The greenskins have sent a hefty probing force to face us, loaded down with maces of various kinds and lead by a crossbow-toting warlord astride an elk bird. Commander Ingish and Sergeant Mestthos lead their warriors forth to face them.

The goblins seem confident, with the Great Bears flying proudly from the saddle of the elk bird.

I eagerly await their accounts of the battle, that our engravers may know them and engrave their foes' deaths in our walls and floors! That our masons may sculpt the crushing of skulls!

The dwarves advanced towards the loud clattering and shouting of the goblins.

“Come out 'n' fight dorfs!” “Crawl outchyer holes and fight like real dorfs!” They'd say.

Thier friends and family were counting on them. Even this one squad could kill dozens of dwarves before they could be overpowered. They had to be stopped here. And so, they kept moving forward.

And then, they made contact.

“There they are! Bash'em lads!” The marksgoblin shouted, firing a wild shot in their direction.

It missed completely, by the mercy of the gods, only the Swordsdwarf Edem having to actually move to avoid it. The Macedwarf Cerol however, lead the charge, and after ducking a flail-swing, she swung the heavy platinum-cored mace upwards and struck her opponent square in the head!

The mace made the goblin's iron cap look like it offered virtually no resistance, the side crumpling and the goblin spinning around awkwardly before hitting the ground with a thud, the side of his head looking bloody and misshapen.

[This... Was a better first use of my modded material maces than I was anticipating :D]

As the soldiers rammed into and circled around one another, a foot flew off, the sound of a goblin screaming his foot was gone audible over the insults being exchanged and clattering of flails and clubs against shields and mail.

Feb gave chase to the goblin leader, and a brief moment of confusion cost the rider his hand, and his mount was quickly boarded; after a brief struggle, he was thrown from it! The giant bird thrashed about, Feb falling off its back, but she had done what he intended.

Meanwhile, Nish had saved Edem, snapping the thighbone of a goblin that attacked the swordsdwarf from behind. He then brought his mace down so hard that he had practically collapsed the goblin's ribcage!

Ingish also blocked a blow, and then barged into the goblin, bashing her in the head hard enough to nearly twist her neck around a full 180!

However, as a second goblin fell, Adil having sliced off his leg, the goblins had a change of heart, and with a single yell of “Tha boss is dead! Run fer it!” Causing their morale to fully collapse. A head flying into the crowded fight served as proof of the whistle-blower’s panicked shout. Feb had broken the back of the siege with one stroke of her masterwork copper Rovod blade!

Kogsak was quick to give chase to the cowards, taking down a fleeing goblin while down the road she could Feb yanking her sword out of another. Someone also yelled something about a kobold, but it was of little consequence, especially since Catten beat it to death.

The dwarves raised their weapons, flasks, and helmets to victory!

The battle is done, and our warriors stand proud over the dead goblins! Our worst injury was from Edem, who was struck in the head by an iron flail; the bruise was a fairly good size and ran up the side of his face.

The populace (myself included) were quick to descend on the battlefield, scavenging socks and pants while marking the enemy gear to be melted down.

191 GRN 1

Spring comes, and with it the prospect of more refugees. I have taken the liberty to issue an order to expand the housing units as a result.

191 GRN 7

Mayor Nutsalves finally managed to meet with the liaison to discuss various matters, among them our elevation to a Baron's holding!

191 SLT 14

Well. That can't be a good sign. However, after speaking with Splint, Ast's demise is an acceptable casualty. It seems she neglected to leave herself a way out of the intended shaft from which we will draw magma to build a great tomb complex from a solid obsidian mass.

Iton is in decent enough spirits as well, as he was unaware his wife and child had even been stuck down there (he's been busy for weeks making training munitions for the militia, and has been sleeping and taking his meals in his workshop as a result.) Though he was glad to have his daughter saved, I have doubts she will survive without a dedicated provider, as Iton simply can't afford to stop producing said munitions.

191 SLT 19

Refugees, as expected.

Led Firstpage, Bowyer/swordsdwarf. Assigned as a sergeant.
Zulban Stepperampart, Hunter. Ban enforced, assigned to Sergeant Kumil's squad.
Lorbam Paddlebinds, Clothier/Axedwarf.
Olin Laudtin, Weaver and macedwarf Wife of Lorbam, and slayer of a feared goblin warrior as well as their pet leopard and five other goblins.
Adil Hammerflight, daughter of Olin and Lorbam.
Solon Carriedpick, Axedwarf/Treeslayer
Ilral Hatchetrushed, Speardwarf/Butcher. Wife of Solon.
Tosid Oilykissed, Animal Dissector.
Domas Glovenotched, Leatherworker.
Sarvesh Tinardent, General Craftsdwarf/Macedwarf.
Dastot Cobaltbrush, Farmhand/Hammerdwarf, wife of Sarvesh.
Muthkat Armorspeaks, Presser/Axedwarf.
Zan Criedglaze, Carpenter.
Lor Weakenarch, Great Metalsmith.
Adil Gearrevered, Doctor. Husband of Lor.
Thob Swordtired, Miner/Swordsdwarf.
Monom Admirenet, Siege Gunner. Husband of Thob.
Asmar Tealanvil, Farmhand.
Dobar Riddlelabor, Farmhand.
Bomrek Nationglaze, Tanner/Macedwarf. Killer of 8 goblins at Terrorpeak.

With these survivors, we sit at 143 dwarves, and according to lore, that makes us a metropolis!

The militia is also more or less fully equipped. Every soldier has a full suit of iron chain armor, gauntlets, and boots, as well as a wooden shield and leather body armor. Regular soldiers have been issued bronze helmets, while Sergeants get iron ones. Additionally, there are plans to commission a steel helm for Colonel Ingish.

191 FEL 18

Merchants have come, and among their animals, a giant leopard! I will have to ensure we get such a fine beast.

Additionally, a survey shows Tulon Oilabbeys to be our finest armorer, and so she will receive her own forge, and make the helmet for Colonel Ingish.

191 HEM 15

Babies continue to pile up. It is good we have substantial plants to brew and eat and ample fish and meat imports for variety. I have also learned of the symbol that was chosen for our local government by Queen Erush.

The symbolism is clear. This place truly is the stronghold from which our people will either become prosperous, or mount it's final stand.

191 HEM 22

More refugees.

Aristotle Roaredmirror, Enginneer/Macedwarf.
Sazir Heldcobalt, Fishery worker. Ban enforced, reassinged as an apprentice mason.
Urist Whippedtools, Farmhand/Axedwarf.
Sigun Griptreaties, Jeweler/Macedwarf. Husband to Urist.
Minkot Gorgepearls, Animal Trainer/Macedwarf.
Likot Workedrooted, Fish Cleaner/Marksdwarf.
Tholtig Viledpulley, Fishery worker/Hammerdwarf. Ban enforced, reassigned to herbalism.

191 MAL 14

Tosid has expired, unattended by the many dwarves nearby, who were busy with various tasks or partying. Unfortunate, and many abandoned the party going on in the great hall as a result. Hers will be a heavy casket to place.[/i]

Updaaaate! Hey guys, sorry about that.

So, we got our first siege. Goblins sadly. Gonna see if I can't find the force event script to make the damned elves attack us. No casualties, though my construction plans did kill two people. I'm sure I'll fuck something up and either there will be a massive mishap involving a leak or lack of power.

Somehow in the siege we only got a few bruises, and thanks to Feb managing to make the enemy leader dodge off their mount, we cleaned house there. I've also discovered our civilization and local symbols: A Pair of Dwarves for Trampledlantern, and A Millstone for The Equivalent Helms (our civ.)

The time also fast approaches that the government will relocate, and I have in fact for the first time ever, begun work on a pumpstack. That will most likely fail miserably as stated. Any suggestions to prevent power failure are welcome (water wheels won't work because the stream will freeze for a week or two every year, which could cut power mid-pumping operation.)

We have over 150 dwarves, two active squads, and are about to become a barony, if Mr Frog would stop working long enough to finish the meeting. Production of pig tail fiber is also in full swing, we've dug up plenty of shit.... In all, things are good in Trampledlantern.

More to come as I am able, what with the new job and everything.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 07:32:24 pm »

191 MAL 26

Sarvesh the clothier has commandeered a workshop, having become increasingly withdrawn over the past few days. Perhaps a fine shirt will result from his work?

Also, the baby Tosid has been placed in an interim coffin, as has her mother. As the initial platform is being dismantled until a better design is thought out, it will be some time before we may move them.

191 GAL 9

A rope is fine too.

191 GAL 14

Humans have arrived. I've recommended Mr Frog cease any work and finish with the liaison before he goes insane.

By locking his door from the outside after stealing his keys.

191 GAL 15

The cows are uneasy and several stampeded away from their pen. I have ordered Ingish's squad to investigate at sunrise. The human caravan guards have offered to assist, and strength in numbers is always good.

-

Outlanders. Nish claimed first and third kills, crushing their heads with his mace. The second fell to the humans, who were too stupid to strike the elf down quickly so they could kill more. Cerol killed the fourth. The fifth, a human lasher struck down. Rigoth, the sixth, the elf's wooden cap offering pitiful protection from his hammer.

Colonel Ingish killed the leader's mount, bashing its legs out from under it, as well as delivered the killing blow on the bastard. Catten struck down the next, and Rigoth his second elf after that. Ingish claimed another after that. Rigoth slew the last of them.

[Sorry, no screenies. The humans fucked that up, but we got the majority. Three bugged out after the ranger died, and Rigoth ran down the last one which was chasing a horse.]

However, we are in hiding right now. Goblins have come in the outlanders' wake, and their archers are too numerous and astride skittish elk birds, making engaging them anywhere without cover a deadly prospect.

Most of our dogs and livestock have been left to their fate, as has anyone trapped outside.

191 GAL 20

Lor has gone missing.  Some suspect the elves, as he was trying to wrangle a horse that had run off before the enemy was sighted, while others believe the goblins have slain him. Mr Frog has also finally finished his meeting. Among supplies requested are morningstars, swords, and armor.

191 GAL 22

With the enemy so close, Mayor Nutsalves has gone to Sergeant Kumil and requested he lead the marksdwarves to the walls, so that they may try to disable the enemy's mounts with a hail of crossbow fire.

They went up and took position on the walls, but were forced to withdraw. All but Stukos the engraver, who disobeyed Kumil's orders to stand down and he continued firing into the enemy trolls as they chased a horse.

From the reports, two mounts were killed, three more injured, and two goblins shot but still kicking. Stukos was also shot thrice by the bow goblins. Edem and Kumil provided covering fire (driving the goblins away,) while Bembul, a Soaper, rescued him from a watch tower he had managed to get to before taking an arrow to the leg.

When he came to, he claims he mortally injured a troll during his withdrawl.

191 GAL 28

Some talk of training a squad of elite wrestlers armed with masterful wooden shields, that elves may be bludgeoned to death with their precious trees, and green uniforms that will make it look like the forests have turned against them. Some say only unmarried women should serve this unit, so they may paint their faces as well, to further enhance the effect, though I think the men folk could easily compensate for the unpainted parts with various leaves and sticks in their bears and moustaches.

The goblins continue to stalk our cattle. The hope now is that they'll deplete their munitions firing on cows and horses. However, the Marksdwarves again make their move, and fire on the melee goblins.

These elk birds... Poor sport, and poor mounts. What madness has bloodthirsty goblins choose such beasts for mounts when they'd be be best suited as pasture stock? The marksdwarves report the goblins angrily trying to get the birds to cooperate and stop moving so they can fire back properly or attack livestock easier.

191 LIM 1

The goblins are cunning. Had the marksdwarves not needed to fall back for more munitions, they'd have been caught in the open by the enemy rangers.

191 LIM 12

A critical flaw was found in our defenses, and thankfully was spotted before the trolls were finished killing an alpaca. We've dismantled the floodgate lever, as it's inevitable that it will get destroyed. We also made a  brief opening to install a replacement floodgate, and resolved to open the gate to let the liaison and human caravan out. We've also bricked the opening for good measure.

191 LIM 13

The enemy is nowhere to be seen. Likely the trolls sensed something to break and went after it, the goblins following them. The militia is positioned, and now waits for them to come out of the canal. Feb has gone in alone to investigate.

191 LIM 14

We have been made a barony, but we have also taken losses.

Feb was killed by the enemy archers, and the goblin ranged leader bashed in a marksdwarf's head with her crossbow. Kogsak split the elite goblin's head in retribution.

Ingish Watchedink has also left a five month old child behind, which is unlikely to survive. Additonally, in the chaos of the fighting, marksdwarves Stukos and Zulban were injured (or in Stukos's case, he was reinjured,) and Marksdwarf Avuz was found killed by a whip. As no lasher escaped, all the dead have been avenged. Lor was also found, his corpse impaled upon a wooden lance, along with several teeth not belonging to him found stuck in his knuckles. Lor has done the fortress proud in resisting to the end. The elf will surely not forget the humble little worker who knocked out some of their teeth.

Our warriors are lauded as heroes, and several are given accolades and titles by the people! I shall record all known titles for posterity. The road is also smeared with goblin, elk bird, and troll blood.

Colonel Ingish Basementcloud, The Slow Mesh.
Sergeant Mestthos Inkedrake, The Neutral Dye of Haze.
Macedwarf Nish Bankpaddled, The Coincidental mastery of Cleaning.
Axedwarf Kogsak Tinmaster, The Walled Ages of Lightning.
Hammerdwarf Rigoth Jeweloar, The Connected Key of Finding.

I have also been elected Mayor, and need not seek approval for plans any longer. Pending my next few entries, I will seek an assistant to record Templedlantern's histories and orders for me.

191 SND 15

Migrants.

Kib Earthbury, Soaper/Axedwarf/Hunter. Ban enforced.
Kol Shootrhymed, Mechanic/Swordsdwarf. Would have been tasked to replace Feb, but her skills will be needed for the spire pumps.
Kubuk Roastpuleys, Fisheryworker/Speardwarf. Ban not enforced for food variety. Will likely assign her to a squad so she will be able to defend herself from threats with the spear she claims to have skill with.
Rigoth Wheelswax, Field Medic/Speardwarf. Husband of Kubuk.
Degel Axerhymed, Field Medic/Macedwarf.
Reg Paintbone, Hunter. Husband of Degel, and assigned to replace Marksdwarf Ingish. Ban enforced to conserve munitions for the marksdwarves.
Kubuk Authoredarmor, Tanner/Hammerdwarf.
Stodir Tatooedlabor, Fish Dissector/Macedwarf. Wife of Kubuk. Too many Kubuks.
Cog Playposts, Child. Daughter of Stodir and Kubuk.
Dastot Tenderroofs, Fishery worker. Ban not enforced.

Population now 161.

Additionally, the elk birds have rotted. Suitable only for bones now, which is unfortunate.

191 TIM 14

[This was my bad OOC. I forgot to rebrick the spot I put our new floodgate in.]

Merchants claim the area inaccessible and their wagons pass us. Splint told them no wagons, no business, on the grounds that only elves don't bring wagons. Col. Ingish and her warriors brandished their weapons menacingly to get the point across, and the merchants can only do minor business with individual dwarves as a result.

A scout has also been spotted. The High Elves have found us, but Sergeant Metthos and Colonel Ingish are in good spirits about it.

The High Elves will come, and steel artifacts from our far-off kin will be reclaimed from their festering corpses. Rakust was also vicious to the elf, having impaled him with her pick. Rigoth heard the yells, and chased it down. The elf will trouble no man or dwarf ever again.

The merchants say this scout is of an Elf army called the “Valley of Virginity.” Trampledlantern is now their target, and they will seek to make us flee. We will not, as our warriors will break their skulls, cut them apart, and riddle them with bolts!

191 TIM 16

Kubuk had spotted  another arrogant one. As she'd been issued a spear, she gave chase and slew the elf.

-

A third scout. Swordsdwarf Edem chased it into the woods and killed it.

This one nearly escaped, and it was only because a marksdwarf was disposing of the one Kubuk killed that it didn't, an iron bolt finding a solid place in the elf's thigh.

191 MOON 1

My name is
  • , assigned to record the histories of Trampledlantern by Mayor and Bookkeeper Meng Tradedikes. It's a weighty task, as I must keep an ear to the ground as it were, so that all may be recorded.
MOONSTONE

Tekkud Armortakers has been issued conscription papers to replace the dead Swordsdwarf Feb, slain by the greenskins earlier this year. He protested, of course, saying he “did his term” at Terrorpeak. Meng would have none of it, and handed him Feb's sword, a blade of flawless copper.

Goblins and elves alike tend to not fully armor themselves, their leaders being fickle and cheap. A copper blade may not pierce iron no matter how well made, but it will carve flesh effortlessly.

-

The Marksdwarf Stukos is dead, neglected by our otherwise impeccable medical staff due to the chaos of the last siege. He was likely killed by a stray bolt or spine damage and simply went unnoticed amid the piles of elk birds and trolls during the road battle last season.

-

Sigun has made a masterpiece for Countess Dakost's dining room. She has fittingly named it “The Calm Beards of Scorning.”  I find the name fitting, for some reason.

Dakost has also banned the export of axes, and mandated Tulon produce breastplates despite the militia's protests (as their chain armor already weighs them down noticeably.)

-

The mayor declared no further housing units will be dug, as the population continues to have children at too quickly a rate. A dormitory will be constructed for them instead.

OPAL

Opal passes without incident, aside from complaints about a lack of turtles in the ponds.

Countess Dakost has issued a decree of law enforcement, and is looking for dwarves to join the fortress guard, and a dwarf to lead it.  A jail is already slated to be built behind the room we will use to make foods from flours, sugar, and honey, to keep casualties to a minimum, as she intends to guards use maces.

Some have protested this deviation from tradition, but she announced that it is to ensure angry dwarves know what awaits them should they decide they want to beat an innocent or animal: Certain death at the maces of the Fortress Guard. Discouragement at it's finest if you ask me.

-

The uniform is made. The Guards will don bronze mail shirts, leather armor, and leather helmets. They'll also be issued iron bucklers and maces. Already our master smith Rovod has produced two masterworks, perfectly shaped to smash the skulls of criminals and intruders alike!

OBSIDIAN

A small group of goblin archers was spotted. The militia marches to face them, as the squad leaders are confident they can overwhelm so few archers.

-

As the militia fell on the now-leaderless archers, still more goblins, lead by a macegoblin and armed with crossbows, open fire on a fleeing foal. This alarm didn't deter The Colonel, who charged the bow squad leader and proceeded to break his shield arm and punch him in the head hard enough to send the axegoblin's iron cap flying.

I doubt he'll get up after that.

They advanced on the goblins, but Swordsdwarf Edem was shot during the advance. However, he fought through the pain and continued forward with sword in hand. He exacted his revenge after ducking a second arrow, and stabbed a goblin in the head! Catten also slew a goblin, snapping it's knee, then it's skull.

According to reports, Edem then proceeded to black out and fall flat on his face, presumably from the fact he still had an arrow lodged in his right shoulder, which will likely need extensive care before he can pick up a shield again. The Colonel also killed two in rapid succession, though Rigoth claims the second should have been credited to him as he was the one who snapped the goblin's neck.

They all had close to a dozen arrows stuck in their armor or shields. Edem, it seems, was unfortunate enough to have an unusually thin section in his leather armor near the shoulder.

Tekkud and Mestthos also cut off the escape of two goblins, Tekkud killing one, and the Sergeant the other (the second of which died of blood loss due to having both her bow hand and both legs sliced off.)

I will wait for their report, as they plan to engage the second squad tomorrow.

-

Edem has been rescued by Sergeant Led. Also, there have been strange sounds reported from the sealed caves.

-

The remaining squad fled in the night. The remains of a horse foal were found, riddled with bolts.

-

A child was stabbed in the head this morning during deconstruction of what was apparently considered a failed design for a pump system.

The child by some miracle survived, but Sergeant Led ensured the goblin did not.

UPDATE. UPDATE. UPDATE.

Haaaaai gaaaaais. So we lost a few dorfs this update, all the result of goblins. The Outland elves made a move, and the High Elves (who are packing actual weaponry,) have found us. The population sits at 170-ish.

Food is stable, thanks largely to ample supplies of fisher and sunberries supplied by multiple farmers, supplemented with fish and imported meat. Booze is a little dicey, since we have such a huge population, but now the the brewer(s?) is/are decently skilled, the supply is floating around 400-500 units, composed mainly of Sunshine and Dwarven Beer/Ale.

The militia is doing better than expected overall, sans Stukos who I mercy-killed. The poor bastard fell victim to that rare bug that makes a dwarf refuse to move after being injured and rescue is interrupted. Several marksdwarves died, but considering the damage they did when massed, I'd say they did well enough.

There's also that visitor, which I intend to sic Col. Ingish on. There's also at least one ghostly dwarf, since the spire isn't even started ye and I dunno where to put the dead.

So guys, I have a question. Drop the spire plan and try to build some kind of elaborate tomb complex in the fortress itself (sealed by iron doors and protected by traps,) or just shove the caskets on one side of the eventual dormitory and wait until I get the pump thing figured out?

Also, taking up to 10 suggestions for squad names.

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [.34.11] Trampledlantern - Managing the dead
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2015, 03:35:08 pm »

ptw
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2015, 09:31:07 pm »

YEAR: 192

GRANITE

Spring has arrived. Sergeant Led brought the injured child to the hospital for treatment, and the boy is grateful, though he understandably keeps crying about his head hurting while in care. He's going to look silly if the doctors opt to cast his head.

-

Sergeant Kumil's been behaving strangely. Apparently it's a possession, and the first strange mood since last year. There's also been a birth, a snatcher was spotted by a yowling cat, a child is able to walk on its own, and a party organized. Since the snatcher was not a danger and Kumil has whatever he took for his project, I'd say the week has been good.

-

Kumil's great work is complete!

-

Migrants arrived. I didn't bother to record them, as our numbers are too great for me to care. Among them though is a hero who killed a creature of the night, a hammerdwarf who joined the militia, and several marksdwarves, among other veterans of the battle of Terrorpeak. The unskilled among them have been tasked with helpin in our small fields or firing the furnaces.

They bring the population to 191.

SLATE

Colonel Ingish had become our first weaponmaster! Soon Trampledlantern will have soldiers truly worthy of protecting it.

FELSITE

A prison has been partly built. It will host two floors, three rooms, all three filled with gold chains (hopefully even these metal chains will keep criminals secure.)

-

One of our unburied haunts the battle site he fell at. Some are proposing we instead build a tomb complex below ground, and secure the graves with solid iron doors.

-

An elven caravan has come. Some say we should slay the merchants, but Mayor Meng has managed to put such thinking to rest (unlike Avuz.) We have enough foes as it is, and the militia needs real opponents, not feeble merchants to kill.

Besides, they brought a giant cheetah.

-

A child was snatched today, grabbed from his mother's arms while she tried to show the baby how fishing rods work. Goblins now stalk the land, based on this event.

-

As it needs a pasture, we've picketed our war-trained giraffe outside.

-

I fucking knew it. And once again, they are cowards who hide behind their bows and crossbows, rather than face the Colonel's dwarves. It won't matter though. Once they fall on them, the greenskins will know terror before they are sent to the underworld from whence they came.

However, the announced themselves by killing the fisherdwarf Dastot Tenderroofs, shooting the unfortunate dwarf in the neck.

Needless to say, he didn't survive the injury. Nish lead the charge, screaming he'd turn the goblin's head “into a motherfucking bowl” for killing Dastot. Macedwarf Olin was also shot in the leg, as he according to the report Meng showed me, ran into the shot by blind chance.

Nish proceeded to brace himself against the charging enemy sergeant, and when the goblin slammed bodily into his shield, he hurled the goblin up and over himself.

Cerol however was the one to land the killing blow, much to Nish's irritation. Following this, the remaining goblins tried to withdraw. While some shots hit shields, most hit the walls, shrubbery, or only caused (rather deep,) bruises on our soldiers' upper and lower bodies, and a cut on Catten's leg.

Unfortunately, Dastot's killer escaped. With their leader dead, the goblins lost their nerve and fled into the deeper woods where the militia dared not venture. On the way back, Cerol stumbled onto a kobold, who he proceeded to ruthlessly bludgeon to death. Nish also found a second snatcher, and the resulting head injury did indeed make the goblin's head look like a bowl.

I think he was angry about the goblins who escaped.

-

Another child has gone missing. Good riddance I say. Our numbers are too great as it is.

-

We've now got a jail with five chains more than needed! We can instate a Captain soon enough.

HEMATITE

The merchants are finally leaving.

-

A soaper's begun acting oddly. Fey mood most likely, judging by how loud he's being.

-

Migrants. One among them was selected to enforce the law, and recruits are being sought for the Guard as a result. His wife Ingiz enlisted, as did three others from the population already here.

Bembul has started working on his project; he took some gabbro, two oak logs, two cut green jade gems, some leather, horse bones, and rough yellow jaspers.

-

A fine scepter! Additionally, Catten becomes our second mace lord. Hail Mace Lord Catten!

MALACHITE

There was a report of a goblin snatcher, but Speardwarf/Siege Engineer Monom took care of it.

-

The miners have resumed downward excavation. It has been decided with a popular vote that the dead shall be entombed wither in marble (if we can find any) or in a great tomb complex with a magma moat.

However, they fled back up as once a stairwell was carved, a giant toad set upon them!

While Sergeant Tulon was sent down to eliminate the toad, when he arrived Miner Astesh had apparently already slain it, as she was wrenching her pick out of the beast's head. Sergeant Tulon commended her bravery in protecting a child and her fellow miners, and someone organized a party in the dormitory to celebrate.

LIMESTONE

Marble! The miners have struck marble!

-

I've been given a copy of our new burial complex, to be set in marble (or more accurately, hopefully in marble.)

Each alcove will hold the entombed remains of the dwarf,, an iron door, and then a headstone. Soldiers will be buried in more elaborate metal sarcophagi, in honor of their sacrifice. This building plan should be sufficient for our population, and Baroness Dakost is already putting the matter of per-assigning coffins should the worst happen (which would mean the smiths and masons would likely be busy to the end of the year, and the miners would be working almost nonstop to find iron ore for all the needed doors.)

GALENA

Two kobolds. One stabbed a fisherdwarf, and was killed in retaliation (as it was near the main gate and Macedwarf Cerol was the one to spot it.) Second was spotted, and stomped to death by, our giraffe. It's been granted the name of Strokedmanors as a result.

Who would have thought a giraffe would be the first animal of ours to hurt something, let alone kill something?

-

A human diplomat was sighted coming out of the deep woods to the west.

-

A goblin ran afoul of Strokedmanors. The wretch got several teeth knocked out and was knocked into a pond. Something else must've been broken too, because the thing was drowned when Dakost sent some soldiers to investigate.

-

-

LIMESTONE

Migrants have arrived.

-

A child was acting oddly, abandoning a party out of the blue. Guess we know why now.

-

Mead is proving to be an obscenely popular drink. Whenever the brewmasters have enough honey to make any, it's sucked down almost as quickly as our supplies of Sunshine!

SANDSTONE

Another goblin falls to our war giraffe.

[Seriously. Three for three. A goblin comes anywhere that giraffe can see them, and it's stamped them to death and only gotten two bruises so far (once from a punch, once from a bag.) Granted all its kills are snatchers, but still.]

-

The Guard Captain's suite and the jails are complete!

The Law now comes to the land! Hopefully it won't need to be enforced.

TIMBER

The caravan has arrived. They brought their wagons this time.

-

The dead have finally been interred. While small amounts of granite and cobaltite mar the tombs, overall the marble composes nearly all of it.

-

The Planter Ushrir Closedpaint has been slain. He discovered an ambush while storing some freshly caught fish for one of the fisherdwarves.

The Militia's response was swift, though for the second clash in a row Hammerdwarf Olin was put out of the fight by a projectile, this one to his other leg. Col. Ingish was also shot twice, but her masterful armor reduced the injuries to mere bruises. The vomit certainly didn't look good on her chain leggings, no matter how well made.

-

A savage braying noise, and the militia responded. Strokedmanors broke a goblin's arms and legs before either side's allies could respond. The towering animal flees when it sustains a deep gash on it's back right leg, but not before one of the goblins was as good as dead with a broken leg and no sowrd to fight with.

According to the militia however, as the two sides fully crashed into eachother, still more goblins appeared. Swordsdwarf Tekkud achieved the first two kills, and Swordsdwarf Edem killed the first group's squad leader.

Sergeant Mestthos leads the charge on the next group. According to some he “improperly” used his sword, grabbing it by the blade and using the pommel to smash a goblin's foot (the opposite foot being subsequently sliced off.)

Nish strikes a goblin in the ribs hard enough for his mace to get lodged in the opposite side of the ribcage (his squadmates were quite... Vivid, with the description,) and after delivering the death blow, is declared a mace lord.

At the conclusion of the battle (amid many more reports,) Swordsdwarf Tekkud is credited with decapitating the second enemy leader. Before the bodies were even cold, I saw people descend on the corpses like a swarm of locusts, some disposing of body parts, others to get the best pick of cloaks or socks.

OPAL

The miners entered the caverns looking for gems and to explore in general. They've left a hole in the wall, but I'm sure the many armed dwarves will handle it, as is Mayor Meng and Countess Dakost. A door has been put in place as a precaution.

-

Mr Frog avenged the miner, as it was the best he could do for her when he found the corpse and a red-clawed cave beast nearby. A child dubbed the corpse “Pinkgrizzle” for some reason.

-

Monom has joined is wife in death. Another cave beast was spotted, and as the closest armed dwarf, he tried in vain to stop it from killing others. It has been named Planedrench, and we locked the bastard  away for the time being.

-

Planedrench is dead, slain by Sergeant Mestthos. An agitated population has also demanded Duchess Dakost do something about these attacks before a third happens, and so she's tasked Sergeant Mestthos and his squad with finding and destroying the source of the beasts.

-

Another beast slays a dwarf. These monsters are becoming particularly troublesome.

-

On the upside, Mestthos (who is getting stiches in his right arm,) reports they have almost wiped out the cave beasts.

-

Caughtrun claims a second soldier, as well as Edem's pet pig. Sgt. Mestthos and his wife are all that remains of his squad. Ingish has had enough and sent Nish is entering the caverns to deal with this problem.

-

Nish returned late last night. Three cave beasts including Caughtrun, are dead.

Have another update guys. Numerous casualties. New tomb. GIRAFFE!

Enjoy.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2015, 11:03:39 pm »

OBSIDIAN

Cages traps are being set up by the cavern breach. Four in all. Hopefully this will stop further cave beasts from entering and killing our adult citizens.

-

A carpenter was being strangely secretive. A few days later? Bucket.

-

Goblins have been spotted. A pair of anti-snatching traps have also proven quite effective.

Col. Ingish killed one, Nish and Catten two each. The militia is standing guard as the civilians (myself included because I need a new shirt,) loot and dispose of the bodies.

-

Another ambush. Rather curiously, it's a mirror image of the last bunch, being speargoblins lead by a lasher. Regardless, our macelords fell upon them with the fury of the gods! Only one speargoblin escape, the last death being delivered by Nish's mace.

Certainly a lovely way to usher in the new year!

GRANITE

She served well as an engraver, and died happy.

The plan for additional coffins certainly seems like it was a smart one in hindsight, since there's likely more dwarves of advanced age here.

The tombs are being smoothed out now, and all of our dead are entombed in appropriate coffins

-

People need to stop having babies. Roughly a third of our number won't be able to wield a sword or chisel for another decade at the earliest.

SLATE

Someone's pet cat was killed by a goblin snatcher.

-

Four dwarves have been conscripted to replace the slain soldiers under Sergeant Mestthos.

-

The population must be brought down. I have to find the snail. Surely it will slay several before it can be killed.

The ensuing riots that are sure to follow should handle the rest.

-

It comes.

-

There has been an alarm call. Someone screaming for help in the caves. Col. Ingish has felt that she must deal with whatever the issue is, as she was in the food stockpile at the time! She is already mustering her forces. Damn it! Why did she have to be the closest officer?

-

The beast is dead, the hammer and macedwarves having fallen upon the creature. However, a recruit intended for Mestthos's squad is likely dead, and one of our two brewers now lacks his entire right arm, and several pets were killed.

Nish was the one who slew the beast, finally after nearly an hour of desperate fighting by the whole of Ingish's squad, landing a blow that smashed its already-soft head. In honor of his kill, he raised his mace and declared that it would be remembered as Splashforded, The Closed Duty.

-

Id, the recruit in question was found dead, the injuries likely inflicted by Arla. I have a feeling had he recovered that copper sword he'd have likely slain the beast. Zan Avuzes has been conscripted to replace Id, to the protests of two children who consider him their friend.

Zan has not objected, and some suggest that “Sarge” lead his squad into the caverns to eliminate a group of troglodytes and explore.

-

The troglodytes are dead, and a crew is being sent to remove the bodies, to dissuade any potentially more deadly scavengers and predators from finding the carrion.

-

Col. Ingish is looking for “those brave enough to prove even a bare-fisted dwarf is deadlier than any elven toothpick.” That fool intends to send unarmed dwarves to face the menace.

-

A citizen is dead. During the clean up operation, a tribe of troglodytes ambushed the workers and killed Meng Mazegears and her child Sodel. It has been named Plainstips as a result, and earned the wrath of Sergeant Mestthos, who sliced it to ribbons and ordered his warriors hunt down and exterminate the baby killers.

There is also another matter of a child getting kidnapped. The child Kubuk Chantships has been kidnapped by the goblins. Col. Ingish and her dwarves made an effort to catch the greenskin, but it escaped into the deepwood before any of them could get within bludgeoning range.

-

FELSITE

Another attempted kidnapping. Sergeant Mestthos refused to let this one happen and cut off what was perceived to be the goblin's escape route. The child was injured, but it wasn't anything the  medical staff can't fix.

These little dwarves need to stop trying to annoy their parents by knocking on the outside of the barracks.

-

The snatchers were heralds of intrusion by the goblins. A group of lashers lead (rather shamefully,) by an elf attacked out fisherdwarves. Thankfully this elf defied stereotypes and loosed two arrows, which missed horribly from what the dwarves told the Mayor. Unfortunately, yet another mischievous child has fallen victim to the goblin menace.

Several traps (as we lack grown dogs to tether at the location,) are being put in place to discourage the goblins. Lidku avenged Ingiz, chasing the greenskin almost into the deepwoods before slicing off its foot and decapitating it.

A snatcher also made the mistake of attempting to steal one of the feared axedwarf Kogsak's children. She responded poorly to seeing her child Lokum get stuffed in a bag and, well.

The goblin didn't survive, as you would imagine.

-

The elves arrived, and amid the animals they brought for sale, were a (sadly male,) giraffe to place beside our mighty war giraffe Strokedmanors, and a feared beast from the old tales: A giant desert scorpion!

HEMATITE

The goblins come again, and a mechanic installing the anti-snatcher traps flees into the woods, waving her arms and shouting for a nearby craftsdwarf to get the militia, along with a few more absurd... Comments, about the goblins. What a “Prostate-fingering guttercunt” is I will never know, but apparently it was quite insulting to the goblins, who tried to beat her to death.

While two goblins broke off and met their ends facing Kogsak and a dog-piling of three recruits plus Sergeant Mestthos, the human swordsman leading the attack's longer legs resulted in the mechanic's demise by the time “Sarge” found her.

He proceeded to lead the charge, and bashed in a goblin's head with his shield. Amazing what a dwarf can do with a bit of wood isn't it? He slew three other goblins while the human fled south and fell upon the son of Hammerlord Rigoth. The child didn't survive, but the dead were not unavenged.

Sergeant Mestthos was hot on the human's heels and came upon her with full dwarven fury. Our one-armed brewer pitched a fit, hurling a water-logged quiver at a tree, and several dwarves are now rather unhappy as they were friends with the slain child.

-

Evidently a metalcrafter was working on some project or another, but she recalls nothing of the incident.

A fine scepter, all the same, but I feel the name would have been more appropriate if it depicted a citizen's death.

-

It has taken some time, but the dead finally all have tombstones.

MALACHITE

The suturer Kel reports a troglodyte tribe in the caverns. Sergeant Mestthos leads his dwarves to remove this little irritant.

-

It seems that the Duchess viewed my account (and seized my personal journal.) Had I not wanted a written account to survive my demise I would still be entrusted with this tome.

Who will be chosen to replace me, I do not know.

To you who follows: Be meticulous. And Hide your own plans of destruction should you have them.

o0o0o0o

Hello! My name is Stakud Roughgears, Huntress of Trampledlantern.

Due to the previous chronicler being found to be an absolute turd of a person, the Duchess has selected me to take said turd's place. While I have no ill intent for our people unlike our last resident to write here, whoever 'X' is, I will be heeding their advise to keep my own journal apart from this chronicle.

On that note, this book is thicker than some dwarves! And probably about as heavy. Good thing I can get some notebooks to record things of note so I can leave it on the lectern in the great hall.

-V-V-V-V-V-
[/b]

8-6-293

Col. Ingish has lead her squad to deal with a group of forest beasts. I have to wonder where those things came from. Did the elves create them? Send them against us? What purpose  do they serve in the world?

Anyway, the hero Nish was injured in the fighting; a broken shield hand, and some shallow cuts in his mace hand. The Colonel managed to save him before he suffered any worse injuries.

The militia proceed to assault the rest of the pack. The Colonel killed one via a single strike to the head when it lunged at her, and Hammerlord Rigoth broke the leg of a second and then did soemthing to its neck. I guess he broke it, but I can't actually be sure of that.

The resulting battle was a chaotic mess, and both Hammerlord Rigoth and Colonel Ingish need stitches due to minor scratches to the hand and gut respectively. Macedwarf Cerol also put up a hell of a fight when she went after a lone beast on her own.

Didn't expect to hear she not only survived, but killed the monster! Suffered injuries similar to Rigoth though, having suffered a chewed on midsection.

8-14-293

A diplomat arrived from a human kingdom! That's good so long as he doesn't get killed, right?

-

Elves!

A whole squad! I don't think the scorpion will make it, just because they have the poor thing outnumbered so badly, and the militia is already moving to attack. They also spotted a small group of enemy archers!

Unfortunately, the recruit Lor and Speardwarf Vucar were both shot, but thankfully didn't die; both have broken bones though. Lor has two cracked ribs and needs some stitches, as does Vucar who got shot in the leg and needs to have the bone tended to.

A pump operator also stood his ground and fought against some of the elves with his crossbow (I think he was one of Kumil's men,) and Satdeduk stamped two elves to death! For this act, it has been dubbed  “The Worthless Ghost” by the militia.

Frankly I think that's a very mean-spirited title to give an elf-killing giraffe. I bet they're just jealous.

8-22-293

A human caravan was spotted, along with some snatchers who died or ran away with none of our kids. I also got a report of the scorpion.

Poor thing. All it ever wanted was the meat scraps we feed it and to kill things with horrible brainrot venom for us! On the upside, I got some really nice green colored socks off of one body and a new cloak from the one that died in front of the gate![/i]

Rise from the grave!

So we have a little baby update fer you guys, after... What, two weeks absence? Work sucks.

Overall, not much has happened though we did see some nice and violent encounters, and I've done away with the last Chronicler, X. Who is now officially called X because I forgot to ever pick a dwarf.

We bought and then lost a giant desert scorpion, though I did get to see it sting a forest beast to death.

Now, we are at a bit of an impasse. Due to 34.11's messed up nature, once the human diplomat (and ruler,) leaves they'll no longer be leader and they won't get a new one for the rest of gameplay.

Do we kill the diplomat, and perhaps accost the caravan as well, or let things go as normal?

EDIT: The screenshots are acting up, at least on my end. I need to head to bed, but after work I'll work on fixing it if it's misbehaving for you guys too.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [.34.11] Trampledlantern - To fight with humans?
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2015, 10:31:38 pm »

8-25-193

Something terrible has happened! The human ruler was killed in the Mayor's dining room!

Mayor Rovod says he was filing a bit of paperwork for the meeting when he heard his doors lock and shouting. When he was finally able to open the doors, he found the diplomat dead! It was one strike, so careful... So precise.

The Guard is investigating the incident, but all we know for sure is it was one of the sergeants, or maybe someone impersonating one, because Sergeant Lidku reported his sword had gone missing and Mestthos's helmet was gone when he woke up this morning.

Why would someone try to start a war with our closest trade partners?

8-28-193

One of our brewers went a touch funny in the head, and produced an absolutely stunning ring today!

We really should look into building a vault for all of our artifacts.

9-5-193

You know, we have a lot of children living here. 90 of them in fact! I wonder if it's something in the water? Or the drink even?

9-13-193

The caravan is here! With lots of wagons. Are we really this good a stop?

9-18-193

A child and a fisherdwarf were caught outside! At least I think it's a child, that's why I put that red “?” in the doodle. Also that thing that looks like a kobold is actually a human bandit, who I think was the one leading the attack.

Before the militia could do anything though, someone who'd been drinking up in one of the watch towers said that they saw the fisherdwarf bravely sacrifice herself to try and buy the child time to escape. It didn't really work out unfortunately, because they cornered the poor boy and beat him to death not long after the fisherdwarf.

Nish also got hurt. Again. While he was beating one of the goblins stupid another hit him from behind and messed up his leg. But he did take out two before he got knocked out!

I hope those two dwarves' loved ones aren't too upset.

-

Another one! And this group I saw with my own two eyes!

I didn't stick around, but I doubted our giraffes would survive the battle. Those goblins have actual weapons and helmets.

-

The giraffes ran after getting multiple shallow cuts, but not before knocking down and bruising several attackers! They're such smart war beasts! Sarge's squad charged right into the goblins and started chopping.

Sarge even started getting called a swordmaster by the caravan guards!

9-13-193

Winter's here! And very strangely two births. I'm starting to see a pattern and it's really weird. It's almost like some couples just “know” someone's gonna die nine months or so down the line.

And it's creepy as hell.

11-13-193

Tragedy! A goblin snatcher tried to steal a baby from a leatherworker who was cleaning up some stuff topside. Instead of a kidnapping though, the little monster sliced off the boy's arm and he bled to death in his mother's arms...

But it turns out the mother's a swordsdwarf and cut the goblin's foot off and stabbed it to death in retaliation! It didn't help soften the blow much, but she does feel a little better from putting the goblin down.

11-14-193

A kid apparently started making some kind of... Thing, and came out with an absolutely stunning harp! It's kind of a shame nobody here knows how to play a harp...

12-4-193

This isn't good.... How are kidnappers getting so close without being spotted? I can't imagine how the parents feel...

12-16-193

Goblins! And it looks like they aren't playing this time around either. Their war leader, trolls... Only thing they're missing is a big squad of marksmen. The militia formed up at the gate, mostly. A speardwarf was unaccounted for and Col. Ingish lead her squad to try and run down the war leader.

-

Me and a few other people were watching from the fortifications... The missing Speardwarf, Kubuk I think? He was a bit of a badass! Drove off a troll squad all by his lonesome near the creek! But Ingish was also shot chasing a mounted goblin. She's a real hard dwarf though, since she and Catten charged a whole squad alone!

She got shot a second time before they took out the squad leader, but damned if she isn't one freakishly tough dwarf. She just... Kept going. I'm pretty sure she knocked out literally all the teeth in a goblin's head at one point.

But then... I didn't know what happened until after the battle.

Someone on the ramparts with us yelled for Sarge and his dwarves to rescue Catten and Ingish. We saw a group of speargoblins charge out of the treeline, and a kid got shot. The giraffes charged, braying savagely as they stomped one goblin into paste, but couldn't kill him before a spearmaster was on them.

Duchess Dakost made the call finally when more goblins appeared: We closed the gate. Anyone topside was going to be left to their fate. First to meet their end was someone's child...

Next to fall, Id Matchedroofs. If he'd just ran instead of trying to be a hero with that crossbow...

But uh, when the counterweights suddenly let go? Well, Sarge, a giraffe, and two goblins went flying.

After that I'm told while he was stunned, his swordarm was injured, and that three goblins had gotten in! We managed to trap one in the tower he landed in, but the spearmaster killed Satdeduk and another charged into the fort yelling she was gonna “take our beards,” but an axedwarf was still inside and put the goblin down after cutting off her leg.

Kadol Menboard's our only real defense now against a goblin spearmaster... I'm also fairly certain Kubuk Roastgallys was killed trying to link up with his squad as well. At least Kumil disabled the spearmaster. Apparently he shot the bastard in the side, and he went down. Kadol charged up to finish it.

I hid in a tower after that, and from what I can tell, Catten fought his way to Ingish and wiped out most of a squad alone, while more soldiers: Athel Sacktruth, and Lor Inkadmired, were seriously injured along with Ingish and Sarge. A speardwarf named Vucar Quakecrowds and a hammerdwarf named Olin Riddledcities, were also lost. I had trouble keeping track of all the casualties.

Beyond that, the casualties were just so... Horrible...

-

Olin survived, so there's that. The last squad of goblins that killed Urist and Inod fled the field after Mestthos beat three of them to death with his shield.

There's so many wounded, and with two doctors dead and no soap? I dunno how long many of them even have.

1-1-194

So many dead... There was no new year's party this year. And to make matters worse, someone died of old age.

That was the last straw for an architect. He started pitching a fit about Duchess Dakost not knowing how to lead, and Ingish being a terrible field officer, and all this other horribleness. Thankfully he calmed down before he hurt anyone or broke something.

1-8-194

I stand corrected. Sodel went for a meeting, and beat the crap out of Rovod instead. I hope that bastard gets beat by the guards for attacking a legendary weaponsmith! But, at least we've interred the fallen.

Another doctor lost, this one to madness... I don't blame him for his depression honestly. He lost three friends and his wife in the fighting, but why couldn't he hold it together until the wounded were tended to? Kel's running himself ragged trying to tend to the few remaining injured dwarves, and it seems like most of them have infections...

Someone mandated jugs and as much oil as we could get to make soap to try and combat them, but I think most of the militia's number is up with the number of festering wounds they have all together.

1-14-194

Elves are here, and they brought a breeding partner for our lone giant leopard! But, there is a little bit of bad news.

The insurgents finally made a move, and shot up a stray puppy. Ingish told her squad to go after them without her, due to the whole “multiple broken bones” thing keeping her laid up. They were successful in killing the rebels, but... Well, they killed someone. A child, but still.

If this keeps up, we might have to start worrying about full-blown riots breaking out... But at least we don't need to worry about the dwarf who made this kickass flute!

1-17-194

We almost had a Justice matter today. Duchess Dakost went around to all the armorers and told them to “get that mandate done or get ready for the stocks.” I asked Rovod about it and he said that he had forgotten about it!

So, apparently Dakost had mandated breasteplates be produced before last year, and she's patiently been waiting for the order to be filed to her as complete, only thanks to last month's unpleasantness, that never happened.

Now she's threatening the armorers, and they're hopping to it (once she permitted we lower our standards as far as skill goes.)

1-20-194

So, we have another problem.

There's a pack of cave beasts right on our doorstep (literally!) And they're trying to batter down the door keeping them out. Now, it's not giving out any, not yet, but I'm worried even a sturdy chestnut door made by a master dwarven craftsman won't stop those brutes.

Sarge is talking to the Colonel to organize a preemptive attack on the beasts, though I dunno if she'll allow it with the current morale issues more battle deaths could send over the edge. And from what I've heard, those things are freakishly strong.

There was also talk of exporting dogs, but I didn't really pay much attention to that.

-

We've lost another soldier. Lor Inkadmired bled out during the fighting against the beasts. Sarge and Kogsak also needed to get some more stitches.

Alright motherfuckers! Update!!! A short one, but damned bloody!

So we got hit with a pretty hard siege. To my surprise, it wasn't composed solely of elk-bird riders but a combined arms force of infantry and cavalry with the leaders being mostly fucking deadly as hell rangers.

As you can see, I didn't notice this until it was too late. I was expecting uncooperative mounts to run from the gate, and instead I had to shut it in a hurry to keep the goblins out, killing a number of people as a result of them being unable to flee to safety. Morale's dropped noticeably, the militia’s lost a number of fighters, and several of our best warriors are severely injured.

I've been trying desperately to get soap made, as Ingish has multiple infections from laying in a pile of mud, blood, and vomit while goblins fruitlessly whacked her in the head with their swords. I have a feeling my emergency burrow is causing problems there. Guess I can try wiping it and having citizens retreat to the dorm instead. If that doesn't work, then the save is partly bugged.

Aside from that, we had a decent spike of 13 casualties counting the abduction, and even have the potential for rioting to break out if we keep losing people, and had two tantrums - one of which almost ended with our legendary weaponsmith Rovod being fatally beaten during a meeting. Thank god Sodel calmed down before he popped Rovod again.

Apart from this stuff though, honestly not much got done apart from building a house for the Queen.

Next thing to get an update will probably be Hexhaunt, and then Riverrun.
Pages: 1 [2]