Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Fleshmancy: A Dark Magic Exploration Game  (Read 16286 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Fleshmancy: A Dark Magic Exploration Game
« on: August 06, 2015, 10:04:42 pm »

The tribes of Nynzalore have lived for thousands of years beneath the world. They live in the great caverns of the belly of the world. This world is dark and riddled with dangers. The caves are silent, but not uninhabited. Many hunters silently stalk these dark halls. Strange plants eek out a living in the dark. Poisons and toxins are common place, disease and miasma equally so. This is a truly inhospitable world, yet your tribe has scraped by for generations.

You and your 12 fellows have been selected to start a new tribe. Disease and famine have plagued your parents, elders, and friends and you are being sent out to find a less hostile location. The Nynzalore tribe from which you came is the first, last, and only practitioner of the ancient art of fleshmancy.  Using the magic of your tribe you are able to sculpt the flesh of still living creatures. It is a slow and painstaking endeavor. One mistake and the creature is likely to die, melt, or otherwise deform. You have spent the last year learning all you can from the elder fleshmasters, but the art takes decades to truly master. Hopefully it will be enough to help you in this uncertain endeavor.

Your party has but one task: survive. You are to travel out into the caverns, pick a location to start a new tribe, and then survive there. You have never been outside of tribal ancestral cave. As a result, the world beyond is nothing more than a mix of rumor and imagination gone awry. You know not of the dangers in the main caves. You know not if survival is possible. The only thing that you know for sure is that you must leave or die with the diseased.

You have been given the only supplies your village can sparer. You have enough food for a week, but you will need to travel more than that. You’ve been given some rudimentary tools and weapons. You’ve been given enough water for three days. Most importantly you’ve been given one of your tribe's fleshlings.  It appears to be a ball of flesh a little larger than a soccer ball. It is basically solid fat and muscle, a flesh ball. It is constantly growing in size and serves as a source of flesh for your fleshmancy. Its growth is slow, but constant, and can be sped up to some degree by feeding it dead flesh. With this you will build the tribe anew.

Short version: You’re a bunch of tribal people with flesh magic living deep underground. You have to find a new home. You have few supplies and a basketball made of flesh. Good luck.

Game mechanics:
The start: players will start at their village. You will have to find a new place to live. The journey there will be largely based on what the players want. You will have to vote on directions to take and other events and whatnot.

The game itself:
Each turn you will get a certain amount of flesh from your fleshling (and other sources) you will use this to make other creatures or items. See the fleshmancy section for more details. You will then have to decide what to do with that flesh and yourselves for that turn. The amount of flesh won’t be an exact number, but may be measured in very rudimentary ways (the ways your tribe would describe).

Turns: The game will be arranged in turns. There will be personal turns and group turns. Group turns will happen as needed. Turns are for an indeterminate length.
Time is hard to track when there is no day and night. If asked how long it has been since X or how long until X, I will likely respond with something like “A while.” Or “A little while.” Or “A long while.” If you expecting to get numbers on everything, this is not the game for you.

Resources: I will keep track of your resources. Mostly it will be food and fleshmancy stuff. Neither of these will be hard numbers. You will have “some flesh” and “some food” and so on. That’s about it.

Actions: Players will get actions on their turns. Your action should be as detailed as possible and include your character name either in the action itself or as a label at the beginning of the action. Or both. Both is good. Your action can be anything you want to do and are capable of doing.

Fleshmancy:
You have the power to sculpt flesh. This power comes with rules. Breaking them will likely cause the creature to explode all over your face or melt all over your feet. Here are the rules:
(1)You can move and rearrange, but you cannot change flesh. What I mean by this is you cannot easily change one type of flesh to another. You cannot take a leg and make an eye. That’s just not how it works. Muscle is muscle, organs are organs, brains are brains, bones are bones. You get the point. (Its possible but not easy or cheap)
(2) You cannot use dead parts. Once something is dead, its dead for good. You are NOT a necromancer.
(3) Fleshmancy can be used on yourself and friends to improve yourselves. This is risky and may have adverse effects.
(4) The process of fleshmancy (referred to as fleshing) is slow and detailed. I expect intricate explanations of your magic. You’re not waving a wand here, you’re reconstructing a living creature. If your explanation is lacking, your creature will be lacking.

Examples:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Final Notes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Character Sheet:
Name:
Personality description:
Describe your ideal cavern section: (For purposes of settling)
Backstory: (Optional. Has to concern what you did before the disease struck).
Extra bits: (Optional. Likely caused by fleshmancy gone wrong)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 07:52:55 pm by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Tribe of Nynzalore: A Dark Magic Exploration Game
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 10:04:59 pm »

Known Creature List:

The orange cave blob:
A lowly scavenger. To most, the orange cave blob is no threat at all. It is composes of a semi-gelatinous liquid surrounded by a slimy membrane. It is mildly acidic and can cause blistering of the skin if handled directly. Otherwise it poses no danger and is mostly considered a pest. However, these creatures pose a serious risk to fleshlings. Not only do they out compete the fleshlings for carrion, but they also hunt fleshlings as food. While they are no threat to you, they are a threat to your greatest asset.

The Grickleback Needler:
A small toad that does not hop but instead skitters on six legs in a very strange and offfputting manner. Even more offputing is the fact that its legs are on backwards and so it must constantly turn around to see where its going. This allows it scramble backwards at incredible speed to escape from predators in front of it. In addition, it sports many spikey quills along its back.

The Common Cave Muscle:
A disembodied piece of muscle. It moves along the cave floor much like an inchworm moves along a leaf. It feeds on small mushroom caps and other decaying material.

Ziggek:
A spiderlike creature with long spindly legs. It cannot make webs, but instead has an inflatable sac on its rear end. It fills this sac with buoyant gases and uses it to float up to the cave ceiling. The Ziggek is an ambush predator, using its gas sac it silently descends towards prey.

Migalomp:
A quadrupedal creature about a foot long and two feet wide. It resembles both a toad and a bulldog, but really is mostly mouth. Its cavernous mouth composes a large part of its body. It is able to swallow things half its size. In the past some have been trained to hold personal belongings in their mouth like a bag with legs (and a bad attitude).

Nyik:
The most dangerous known creature. It is a long black serpent the size of a man. It has scales on its back and a soft underbelly that allows it to slither silently. They have no eyes and their mouth is circular and leechlike. They hunt in pairs and have been known to kill many tribesmen.

????:
A hanging ropelike tentacle. Sticky and dangerous.

Known Location List:

Starting Cavern
River
Cracks
Muddy Lake
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:16:43 am by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 10:05:16 pm »

Player List:

Supplies and Possessions:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 09:21:15 pm by Spiderking50 »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 11:21:18 pm »

PTW
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 11:35:44 pm »

Character Sheet:
Name: Braskamera
Physical description: A Hardy portbellied man, scarred and calloused from hard work, He wears the Garb of a Fisherman.
Personality description: Rough around the edges, he is still growing into his power, unused to, but accepting that he will end up using it, and therefor must use it. He is a no nonsense man, with a love for hardy things, himself being one of them, though he prefers to keep his strength through hard work of the body rather than hard works of magic.
Backstory: Braska once worked as a handyman, used to a life of hard work, he did everything that he could in his village, but dreamed of being a fisherman in the underground lakes of his home, eventually coming into that role somewhat.
Extra bits: His left Knee hurts fiercely, due to an accidental fit of rage slamming his fist down upon it in frustration due to a sharp splinter managing through his thick skin. though he quickly tried to restore it, it still clicks and causes him discomfort.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 11:38:25 pm by Shadestyle »
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 08:17:34 am »

Looks good.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 01:00:51 pm »

Just added a section about the settling of caverns to the character sheet. Its pretty free-form since your characters don't know much of the underworld. As a result it can be anything you can imagine. Get as creative as you like.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
Re: Fleshmancy: A Dark Magic Exploration Game
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 10:02:35 pm »

Shameful bump.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 10:49:08 pm »

If all else fails, you could turn this into a SG.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 11:13:20 pm »

PTW

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 11:22:13 pm »

PTW, probably going to throw up a sheet soon.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 11:37:30 pm »

PTW
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 11:03:37 am »

This game can start with a few players and more could theoretically join later.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 11:52:51 am »

Name: Xavier
Physical description: A collection of mismatched parts, which only vaguely resemble his original form.
Personality description: Xavier is obsessed with improving himself, and values function over form. Think of the Primal Zerg mentality mixed with Abathur's mentality, and you'll be pretty close to Xavier's mindset.
Describe your ideal cavern section: An area full of life to improve myself.
Backstory: Xavier was already interested in fleshmancy before the disease struck. He was left untouched by it because his biology was so vastly different than the rest of the tribe.
Extra Bits: Xavier has four arms, hooved feet, the ability to photosynthesize (via leaves growing on his back), and is covered in chitin.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 12:30:01 pm by ATHATH »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 12:08:46 pm »

Name: Xavier
Physical description: A collection of mismatched parts, which only vaguely resemble his original form.
Personality description: Xavier is obsessed with improving himself, and values function over form. Think of the Primal Zerg mentality mixed with Abathur's mentality, and you'll be pretty close to Xavier's mindset.
Describe your ideal cavern section: An area full of life to improve myself.
Backstory: Xavier was already interested in fleshmancy before the disease struck. He was left untouched by it because his biology was so vastly different than the rest of the tribe.
Extra Bits: Xavier has four arms, a spider-like lower half, hooved feet, the ability to photosynthesize (via leaves growing on his spider-half's back), openable compartments within his body, is covered in chitin, and can launch items (such as spiked balls of chitin) using a biological cannon located on the tip of a "tail" that extends from the middle of his spine.

Athath, your character is a bit overpowered. Can you dial back some of the upgrades? (Compartments, bio-cannon, and spider body are a no go for starting, but everything else is fine by me.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14