Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Mode Stealth Mode!  (Read 1413 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Dwarf Mode Stealth Mode!
« on: August 07, 2015, 03:07:13 pm »

Was just thinking how in a military-centric defense system how nice it would be to command a squad of dwarves to enter ambush mode.

They would enter stealth while defending burrows or patrolling. This would enable much more strategy in fort defense, and make light armor/ranged units more effective aside from parking them on walls. I mean really, invaders can do it, why not people who actually live on the land and know it (presumably) better?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:42:19 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Mode Stealth Mode!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 04:17:54 pm »

+1 to this. Now I can finally do gurrila warfare on the sieges outside my fortress.  :D

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 06:00:03 pm »

Funny, I've been doing gorilla warfare at every opportunity now. They're pretty beast as long as you add TRAINABLE_WAR to the raws.

I like the idea of giving ambushers a taste of their own medicine though. Invisible squads of shooters would definitely work as well defending as attacking.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 06:47:27 pm »

Invisible squads of shooters would definitely work as well defending as attacking.
Would a marksdwarf standing on top of a wall, behind fortifications, be able to enter stealth at all, as that's exactly where an enemy would expect her to be anyway? Sure, they might not know which arrow-slit she'll shoot from, but it's not like her presence would be a surprise.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 07:25:53 pm »

Invisible squads of shooters would definitely work as well defending as attacking.
Would a marksdwarf standing on top of a wall, behind fortifications, be able to enter stealth at all, as that's exactly where an enemy would expect her to be anyway? Sure, they might not know which arrow-slit she'll shoot from, but it's not like her presence would be a surprise.

I think that the answer to this is that if the AI can do it, dwarves should be able to as well. Kobolds can stand directly in the entryway to your fort and be unseen.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 07:11:40 am »

While dwarf has bad stealth, some other race can certainly be very stealthy.

Kobold fort - City of the invisible.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 10:06:38 am »

It would still be helpful, even if just to stop goblins from seeing them until they are in each other's range.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 11:02:27 am »

I'm imagining twenty marksdwarves, all in the same tree...
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 11:10:15 am »

I'm imagining twenty marksdwarves, all in the same tree...
Goblin 1: Hey, are those beards poking out of that tree?
Goblin 2: Dwarves must have bred a beard tree to confuse the elves.
Goblin 1: Makes sense to me.
*They walk past the tree*
Goblin 1 has been struck down.
Goblin 2 has been struck down.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 07:46:47 am »

Well hunters do that already if they spot an enemy during the hunt. Although once they run out of bolts they drop out of stealth and run screaming back to the fort.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 12:07:01 pm »

Maybe you could set a squad to a similar mode where they prowl around looking for invaders?