Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Bonepillar, lair of the undead cave beasts - Succession Fort [40.24]  (Read 29609 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bonepillar, lair of the undead cave beasts - Succession Fort [40.24]
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2015, 11:51:50 am »

cage traps

bad idea. BAD idea. VERY BAD IDEA!!!.

cages dont work. i tried. there is an incomplete trap. if you wanr, i can send you instructions on repairing it.

I have never heard of uncageable undead.  I realize this place is cursed, but seriously?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2015, 03:18:32 pm »

cage traps

bad idea. BAD idea. VERY BAD IDEA!!!.

cages dont work. i tried. there is an incomplete trap. if you wanr, i can send you instructions on repairing it.

I have never heard of uncageable undead.  I realize this place is cursed, but seriously?

Zombies with [TRAPAVOID].

Hooray for Bonepillar.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2015, 04:49:29 pm »

Cages work exactly as they ought.

Miners, however, do not.  Jesus CHRIST they dig slow.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2015, 06:21:35 pm »

Overseer's Log - Spring, 545

I never wanted to come here.  This was all a mistake, a horrible, horrible mistake.  We're all going to die in this place.  WE'RE ALL G

I have to stay positive.  This is a record I will make, though it takes too long and too much effort.  Someone should know, if they ever find this place, ever find us.  They have to know how we di

It was all Gwolfski's idea.  We knew each other as kids, back in the capital.  Not close, but you know, saw each other around.  He came to me and said "This place is so hidebound.  We need to find somewhere new, somewhere exciting.  I hear there's a new settlement.  Bet they'll need dwarves like us."  He said a lot.  He talked me into it.  He talked a bunch of us into it.  We said goodbye to our families and we left.  This was supposed to be a new mountainhome.  Instead it's a giant tomb, except the dead here walk around.  We barely made it inside the fort.  Some of us didn't.

I was trying to keep it together when Tosul walked by and said "you take over."  Just trying to keep it together.  I've been unhappy.  So unhappy.  I know he's been stressed too but...  Now I'm in charge.  I can hear them outside, moaning, SCRATCHING AT THE WAL

I can't do this.  I have to do this.  I can't do this. I have to do this.  I can't do this. I have to do this.  I can't do this. I have to do this.  I can't do this. I have to do this.  I can't do this. I have to do this.  I can't do this. I have to do this.  I can't do this. I have to do this.  I can't do this. I have to do this.  I can't do this. I have to do this.  I can't do this.

So I'm the overseer.  The first thing I did was to try to get some idea of how much we had stored.  We have water, we have brewed liquor, we have food.  We have metal, we have gems, we have GHOSTS WHY WON'T THEY STOP SCREAMING  I made sure there were monuments to honor the dead.

I thought back to the mountainhomes.  We need forges.  Dwarves need to forge.  We need to make things.  I told them to dig a big staircase, like in the capital.  We will have legendary forges.  Maybe that will make the voices stop draw enough migrants to us to have a strong military and make us free safe again.  I marked out storage and stairs and forge rooms, each in its own chamber like back home.  I gave it to the miners.

Some mistakes were made

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

but work continued.  I was talking to some dwarves from the other side of the mountains.  They have problems with unholy abominations walking rotten corpses the dead there as well.  They said that even cages can hold them.  I told the miners to take a break from what they were doing and dig a long tunnel to the outside, but not to open it yet.  We built ways to seal it and lined it with cages.

Then the elves came.  Stupid elves.  Why would anyone try to come trade here?  They don't even like us.  They'll like us even less now.

They brought one wagon too many to get inside in time.  We yelled at them "go back!" but they wouldn't listen.  Lisedborik Vutram Odom the dead elk bird came in with them.  There was nothing I could do.  It killed them all.  Stupid, arrogant, dead elves.  I looked at the cold, dead eyes of that thing through a crack in the wall.  It knew I was there.  I could feel it hating me tell it wanted in.  So I let it in.  Right into a cage trap.  We threw it into the magma.  We all laughed.  Some of us couldn't stop laughing for a long time.  Some of us still haven't stopped.

When the smoke from the dead elk bird went up, it made some of us laugh.  It brought some inspiration.

The bone carver... I hope he makes a magic charm to keep the dead away something useful and valuable.  If we ever have anything here, it's a lot of bones.  While he was working, I heard what I most feared.  Dwarves were spotted.  Some of them I might have known.  It didn't go well.

The bonecarver finished.  Its not useful, but it's beautiful.  So few things have beauty here.

The cage hallway was complete, though.  That was something.  We managed to catch 6, and then 6 more.  I had to keep close watch on it because some of my friends want to die don't understand danger.  Zasit was getting a cage when he thought he saw one of his old friends outside.  We tried to tell him it wasn't really his friend, but he didn't believe us.

Poor Zasit.  Now we are only 29.  But 13 of the abominations have been fed to the magma.  I have a sense of I can't take the screaming any more in my head no no no nononononononono
purpose now.  I haven't been the most productive dwarf in my life.  But now I want to die do something worthwhile.  I want to catch all these horrible things that killed my friends.  I want to watch them go into the magma one by one.  I want to send them screaming back to hell.

Soon.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2015, 06:52:30 pm »

A useless weapon made entirely of dead things with a picture of a coffin on it. I think think Athel just summed up all of Bonepillar in one artifact.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2015, 07:36:05 pm »

Cages work exactly as they ought.

Miners, however, do not.  Jesus CHRIST they dig slow.

Miners are so slw because they're still new. Our old miners suffered... Unfortunate accidents
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2015, 10:14:06 am »

OOC: Can anyone explain to me how we managed to get attacked by a mountain titan with 10 half-dead dwarves and a wealth in the tens of thousands, if that?  Seems a little off.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2015, 10:57:13 am »

welh we havfe a ton of undead dwarfs i tjink
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2015, 03:10:51 pm »

OOC: This is quite possibly the most annoying fort I have ever played.  I have never seen a group of midgets so desperate for death in the three years I've played DF.  I hate this fort almost as much as the denizens.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2015, 03:51:35 pm »

OOC: This is quite possibly the most annoying fort I have ever played.  I have never seen a group of midgets so desperate for death in the three years I've played DF.  I hate this fort almost as much as the denizens.
What did the little idiots do this time?
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2015, 04:01:30 pm »

Overseers Log - Summer, 545

I had a dream.  The Moon was an eye.  The cave was a mouth.  Screaming.  The dead trees were the hands of those who died.  I ran as fast as I could through the woods but they always found me.  Nothing is safe.  The cold fingers are always at my throat.

The humans came.  I thought they would survive, since they always bring soldiers. 

They died.  They always die.  They came from the badlands.  Why?  Why would you go in that place?  What lust or greed could drive someone to enter those lands of ash and death and cold?

The cages are working.  We have caught 45 of the undead so far.  More keep boiling out of the caverns.  Without a way to seal the caves we are just draining the ocean with a thimble.  kill everyone kill kill kill  Strange thoughts occur to those of us here.  Soon the duck will feed  I don't know why. voices shouting voices voices dead screaming can't no no no

The miners smell smoke.  The caverns are on fire.  At home this would be a disaster.  Here, it's glorious.  A chance to thin the herd of undead.  Burn them all.

Gwolfski told me to come to the tower.  He wanted to show me something funny.  I should have known not to go.

He said "now it knows why it should fear the night" and ran away giggling.  I think I am the sane one.  Even demons lose here.  From a distance, I could see the bat's special weapon.

I know that sock.  I knew the foot that used to wear it.  We threw what was left of her into the magma three days ago.  She didn't know us.  It wasn't her.

The only thing that brings me joy are the new forges.  We found tetrahedrite and pure, shining silver when we dug them.  So much silver.  So pretty.  I miss pretty things.

There are channels under the floor for magma, there is a storeroom above the forges for bars and charcoal.  If we ever get out of here, my forges will be the wonder of the world.  Maybe I could crawl into the magma chute maybe my head would fit maybe ears full of fire would stop the voices  I feel like something controls my hands sometimes.

We spend all our time hauling.  Up the stairs and down the stairs.  Oh yes, I dug new stairs.  That long meandering ramp was useless like me so useless need fire need voices to stop  I also built a small dining room.  It's still small.  There aren't many of us.

Migrants came.  We had captured so many undead.  But not enough.  They wouldn't come in.  There was a dead falcon sitting in the entrance.  He wouldn't leave.  They wouldn't fight.  Now they are all dead.  So many dead.

The titan returned.  It came and sits in the trade depot.  It broke the depot, but that's alright.  It's trapped.  It's trapped between us and the outside world.  We're between it and the hell it came from.  Funny old world.  We have no depot, but we have no merchants anyway.

They tell me that spirits are talking to LordBrassroast as well.  He demands wood.  He will die.  We have no wood.  We sit under a forest and have no wood.  We have caves full of lumber and we have no wood.  Irony is one of the last joys we have left.

Bloody stains cover the bottom of the page.  Someone has written 'Funny old world' in blood over and over until the page is almost torn through.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2015, 04:24:27 pm »

we have tree farm. since i originaly started this, i feel i can give permision to use dfhack to grow the tress if they aint grown yet
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2015, 04:41:15 pm »

we have tree farm. since i originaly started this, i feel i can give permision to use dfhack to grow the tress if they aint grown yet
Where was that tree farm? I couldn't find it.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2015, 07:47:42 pm »

Overseer's Log - Autumn, 545

I had a dream.  The dead lands were blooming.  The flowers were all dwarven faces.  All my friends were there.  The flowers were white, but when you walk by them, they bit you.  When your blood fed them they turned red.  Someone else was there.  I didn't see them.  But the flowers were red where they had been.

I feel strange.  I think this is what I used to call happy.  It is a not-suffering.  It wasn't always like this.

Autumn started the usual way.  With disappointment and death.

The merchants were there.  I was trying to build the new depot, but it wasn't ready.  Nothing is ever ready on time.  Logem decided this was going to be the time they made it through.

I felt a moment of... something odd... when they killed the giant bat Zakgolshasad Nabasegur.  It had killed a legendary werebeast, but the soldiers brought it down.

But then they died.  They always die.  I didn't feel bad this time, because what's the point?

As I predicted...

But then.  Then.  Something happened that was almost not horrible.  It was... good?  I forget.  It made me laugh.  Tosul may very well have saved us all.  He came up with an idea.  He got the miners to dig into the wall of the barracks.  He dug into the cavern leading down... and he blocked it.  He built a wall right over the ramp leading down, so nothing else could come up.  We may be able to clear the surface again.  I... don't know how I feel about that.  I think it would terrify me to be outside.  But I want to want it.  This is what it looked like when Tosul had blocked it.

We finished the new depot.  This one is made of aluminum, because it needs to be shiny and pretty even if we are the only ones who can see it.

It's set up with one of those clever airlocks like the old one.  I put the levers right near the old ones too, so nobody would get confused.

We even got a new citizen.  Only two migrants showed up.  I think word had gotten around.  But one wandered around for 15 days outside before he found his way in.  His friend got killed of course.  But he lived.  He came in through the new trade depot.  His name is Ducim.  He seems very nice.  Far too nice to end up here.  He's a trader.  He asked if he could be our broker.  I said yes because, why not?  He started telling us how much everything in the fort was worth, which was nice.  Ducim tells me the fort is worth almost 600,000 Urists, which I am positive is due only to my forges.

We have so many dead things trapped.  The others don't want to go near them, but I want them destroyed.  They need to throw them all in the cleansing magma.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2015, 08:04:44 pm »

I request immediate redorfing as LordBrassroast's closest living relative in the fort, with the name LordBrassroast II.

If I had no relatives here, just use a random dorf.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13