Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Bonepillar, lair of the undead cave beasts - Succession Fort [40.24]  (Read 29617 times)

Fawnek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bonepillar, lair of the undead cave beasts - Succession Fort [40.24]
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2015, 08:34:38 pm »

I request immediate redorfing as LordBrassroast's closest living relative in the fort, with the name LordBrassroast II.

If I had no relatives here, just use a random dorf.
at least your dwarf has got shit done, mine hasn't done anything of significance yet.
We all have an Urist in our lives.

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2015, 10:44:51 pm »

So far your writing reminds me of Poe, Iamblichos, I like it.
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2015, 03:10:31 am »

I felt a moment of... something odd... when they killed the giant bat Zakgolshasad Nabasegur.  It had killed a legendary werebeast, but the soldiers brought it down.

Wonderful! They killed Spitedmusic ie. the only named undead with a twin.

Amusefriendly will not be amused. Or friendly.

Remind me again why we called it that.

He dug into the cavern leading down... and he blocked it.  He built a wall right over the ramp leading down, so nothing else could come up. 

Huh. I never would have thought of that. Good call, it might actually be possible to stem the tide now. Though a) I'm terrified by the fact that this achievement means you opened the fortress to the caverns even for a few seconds, and b) part of me feel like it's cheating if it doesn't let at least one undead draltha in.

We have so many dead things trapped.  The others don't want to go near them, but I want them destroyed.  They need to throw them all in the cleansing magma.

I'm impressed. Have you managed to catch any of the named ones yet?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2015, 05:00:17 am »

tree farm to the left right of the lever hall.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2015, 06:38:26 am »

Huh. I never would have thought of that. Good call, it might actually be possible to stem the tide now. Though a) I'm terrified by the fact that this achievement means you opened the fortress to the caverns even for a few seconds, and b) part of me feel like it's cheating if it doesn't let at least one undead draltha in.

OOC: I don't know quite how to tell you this... but we have only twelve (12!!) undead left above the plugged cavern anywhere on the map.  We can clear it, and we will.  The only real problem is the corpse of one of the caravan guards, which has gotten itself trapped in a tree.  It won't come down, so eventually we are going to have to go chop it down, with all the !!FUN!! that implies.

I'm impressed. Have you managed to catch any of the named ones yet?

Oh yes.  All of them.  58 caged undead left, over 20 already sent to Armok.  Sitting in a baron's worth of copper cages, waiting their turn for the exciting game of "how long will it take this cage to melt?"

The 12 who are left on the surface do not have names, and (with the exception of the treed 'mutilated peasant corpse') are all emigrants from the Unholy Caverns of Free-For-All.  Some of them feature glorious sobriquets like "Gorlak right hand" and "olm neck".  Very tempted to send out the military to take care of them, since they move excruciatingly slowly.

OOC note to future overseers: everything... EVERYTHING... on the surface is forbidden.  All of it.  For the sanity of our poor little midgets and in the interest of the fort not surviving the long night of the undead just to fall to a tantrum spiral, DO NOT unforbid everything all at once.  Little by little, clear the corpses and trash, but don't make them go face it all at once.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2015, 11:05:40 am »

So far your writing reminds me of Poe, Iamblichos, I like it.

Wow, I'm flattered  :)  Thanks!

Each dwarf of mine has their own voice.  This is the voice of a poor dwarf trapped somewhere miserable because there's no escape.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2015, 02:49:58 pm »

Overseer's Log - Winter 545

I had a dream.  The sky was a sheet of ice.  The land was made of lead.  Nothing was moving.  All around me were bones.  Dwarf bones, elf bones, human bones, goblin bones, beast bones... every size and shape of bone.  A voice spoke but I didn't see anyone.  All it said was 'Soon'.

Many things have happened this winter.  I told Ducim about the tragedy of LordBrassroast, and he was so moved he took his name.  He said that, since he was here, he would try to complete whatever it was.  He's a good dwarf.  Too good to be here.  I worry he won't make it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We caught all the undead we could see.  I was afraid.  What if they were in the sky?  What if they were in the water?  What if they were hidden in the ground?  We threw them into the fire over and over and more and more came.  Why wouldn't they stop?  Then they stopped.  The woods were... quiet.  Even from the tower we couldn't see any.

Isengrim went into a mood.  Someone said he used to be a woodcarver.  He wouldn't tell us anything... it was another spirit.  But he wanted wood, and only wood.  I didn't know what to do.  I couldn't face the outside world, but I couldn't face losing a friend.  If this is the last writing I do, I died trying to help Isengrim.

I went outside today.  I walked in the sunlight.  I saw a bee.  It was flying near some strawberries.  I picked a strawberry and ate it.  It didn't taste like death.  It tasted like a strawberry.  There was nothing to hint that so many horrible things had happened near it.  That was the most disturbing thing of all.  How much of my other food has been near tragedy?  I don't eat much now.

We cut down a hazel tree.  It gave us enough wood to make Isengrim's spirit content.  He made this:

Another artifact with pictures of a coffin.  All these dead spirits.  All they want is to rest.  Why won't they rest?

I made what little amends I could.  We buried the bodies of Lolor Adilsodel and Edum Erithshin.  There are so many dead out there; so many.  The weeds have grown up around them.  Most of them are just bones.  I wanted to bury someone, though.  I want the dead to know we care, that we did what we could.  I hope they know.

I made another pretty thing.  I made a dining room.  We have it all engraved.  It has silver doors, and silver statues, and the other dwarves find it comforting.  I like it.  I don't feel comforted, but I don't think comfort is something I will feel again.

I told PyroTechno I wanted two nice statues, the nicest he could make.  This is what he made:

I asked him why he made a statue of Eshtan losing his job, and he said, "who is Eshtan?"  I asked Eshtan if he had made PyroTechno mad, and he said "who is PyroTechno?"  I don't know if they have a grudge or not, but they claim they are serious.  I don't know how two dwarves can live on top of each other for over a year and never have met.  Funny old not doing that again.

Fawnek is becoming a highly skilled miner.  He basically hollowed out a giant chamber for coffins all by himself.  It's very impressive.  I had a mason workshop and a crafts workshop built in there so they could use the stones to make coffins and rock pots.  He says he feels like he is almost a master.  I hope he succeeds.  We need success here.

At the end of the year, yet another mood...

The other dwarves have started calling me "the Haunted Savior".  I don't know if I'm complimented or not.  I'm tired.  So very, very tired.  LordBrassroast2 the broker is the newest of us; his life hasn't been so full of tragedy.  I will make him the overseer.  I will go back to my workshop, and make coffins.  So many coffins.  I want the dead to know I care.  Sometimes it's hard to care when you are so tired.  But I still care.

OOC:

Save here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11095

Things to consider for the next overseer:

- DO NOT EVER open the old depot levers.  In fact, deconstruct them.  Ask if you don't know which they are.  If a tantruming dwarf lets out the adamantine blob titan, we can all just give up now.
- There are still a lot of undead to dump.  I have forbidden most of them so other tasks can occasionally get priority.  They are all still in the trap corridor (F2).
- The trap corridor is still open to the fort, which should lure random undead.  Undead stoat jack is on map, but not near fort.  Be wary.  Other undead creatures may spawn at the map edges.
- Civilians are burrowed into the fort.  They all wanted to go wandering the landscape looking for Urist that came with them three years ago, like he was still alive and making pants in the woods somewhere.  Bitches, please.  Get your short asses back underground.  He ain't coming home.
- Clothes workshop is due to be built and is BADLY needed - some dwarves are dropping critical clothes like pants and shoes.  A fort full of stressed, pantsless dwarves is a recipe for disaster.
- There is a dump zone on the 16th deep which goes straight into the magma pipe.  Entry is off the stairs directly below the dining hall.  Should make bulk disposal of outside debris easier.
- FPS is in the toilet.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:57:37 pm by Iamblichos »

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2015, 04:25:17 pm »

Alright, I'll get my turn started soon. But tomorrow is my first day back at school, so it may have to wait a little.

Fawnek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2015, 05:17:22 pm »

looks like Iamblichos fixed the unfixable for now.
We all have an Urist in our lives.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2015, 06:33:08 pm »

Huh. No wonder FPS is crappy, that fort layout is painful.  Winding paths + dwarfs seeking pants = FPS is going to be bad.  Rationalizing the workshop/stockpile layout will help a lot.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2015, 06:59:58 pm »

Huh. No wonder FPS is crappy, that fort layout is painful.  Winding paths + dwarfs seeking pants = FPS is going to be bad.  Rationalizing the workshop/stockpile layout will help a lot.

Yes, the stockpile/workshop situation was driving me nuts.  I just didn't have enough time to address it, beyond the magma forges.  Getting the dead stuff out of the way was enough drama.  I had to ride herd on that trap hallway like an eagle, because the dwarves were just desperate to run outside and hug the undead.  Never seen a group of dorfs with more of a death wish.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2015, 07:14:27 pm »

Yes, the stockpile/workshop situation was driving me nuts.  I just didn't have enough time to address it, beyond the magma forges.  Getting the dead stuff out of the way was enough drama.  I had to ride herd on that trap hallway like an eagle, because the dwarves were just desperate to run outside and hug the undead.  Never seen a group of dorfs with more of a death wish.

Yeah, dorfs love socks perfumed with eau de undead for some reason.   ::) 

If this was my fort I'd break out dfhack to at least get the items under control and then concentrate on walling off all the winding passages and building the fort around a vertical axis, but this is a community fort so that may be out.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2015, 07:41:58 am »

Yeah I try to avoid using DFHack to solve problems like that.  The only time I use it in succession forts is "clean all" to hopefully scrape up some FPS.  The big issue with FPS on this fort is the boiling hordes of undead that populate the caverns.  The pathfinding for all those mobs is probably melting the one core the game is running on  :P

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2015, 11:35:48 am »

a normal staircase is impossible due to aquifers.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2015, 11:49:58 am »

I managed to build a 2x2 down to the 15th deep, where all the dining hall/rooms/craft palaces are, and then carved a 3x3 down from there.  Unfortunately there's a significant gap between them due (as Gwolfski noted) to aquifers.

Now that the upper levels of the caverns are undead-free, we can expand the stairs downwards using them; that wasn't an option until late enough in my year to make it unfeasible, but it should be clear now.

Out of curiosity, who was the court jester who built a craftsdwarf workshop in the demonic cave?  WTF?  I saw that and almost dropped my teeth.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 01:09:27 pm by Iamblichos »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13