Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop?

One.
- 0 (0%)
Two.
- 0 (0%)
Three.
- 0 (0%)
The world may never know.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 10, 2016, 09:48:36 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 612

Author Topic: Castle: Foxhound Chronicles (Choking your Bad Dragon in the Void)  (Read 371646 times)

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile

The OOC now exists.

A man walks up to the stage, with a slow and confidant stride. You know his face well and, you have seen him many times as the training program started to wind to a close.
He is Fernan, the CO-CEO of Akras CO, one of the 15 companies around the world who 'own' a 'Gate'. Its not know for sure if all the companies really own these strange, and usually massive, devices, or the Countries still rich enough to sponsor them, but, what is known is that these Gates are what they are called. They are entryways to other worlds. Maybe even other dimensions.
Little is known about these places other than these three basic facts.
One, there is always a large structure in the middle of them, surrounded by a few miles of rocky landscape, hills, mountains, and nothing else. Not even a sky.
Two, the structure is just as vast, if not larger, and in its center is an artifact. Its theorized that they are all different artifacts. Each one of them are recorded to look different, as different as the castles they inhabit. At least, again, that is what is theorized. Only hand full of of artifacts have ever been recovered, in the five years that these Gates have been active. The reason for this sad fact comes from the third point. Its Dangerous.
Nobody knows exactly how dangerous, which is why you are all highly trained specifically to do this. To make the trek into this unknown. To find the secrets hidden in this

It takes you a little while to realize that the CEO's speech is over, and others are going to get their equipment. Well, get is a strong word to use. More like renting their equipment. You happen to luck out, and get the company of whom isn't heavily militarized. You are not apart of a glorified militia, or even a part of an official army, but, actual paid employees. The down side is, you weren't chosen because you were the bast man for the job. You knew that when you applied. No, you just happened to win the roulette. A high paying job, something rare, now-a-days, when the world economy has started its major spasms of control loss.
But, on the other hand, you are still here, because you are the best at what you do. You managed to prove that after months of non-selective training, to weed out the weak willed, and minded. You learned how to make the best use of your true skills to succeed. Hopefully that will carry you through your first mission. There is a rumor that the first group that was sent though the gate never even made it past their second door, after all.

Quote from: courtesy of Kevek

The rulebook

Setting:
You all play as sapients who work for the Akras corporation, going though the 'Gate' in order to find artifacts for your company and subjugate the natives.

This will not be an easy game, and, one should expect many gruesome deaths right off the bat should they make poor choices.

Refer to the racial statting doc for the averages of racial stats. You may move these around as you please. So long as you do not lower a stat below 6. Should a race start with stats in that range, it is fine to leave it as such. As a player character, you get 5 extra Health. You'll need it.

Vigor and Health function on a 2 for 1 relative to other stats. 2 hp/Vigor for 1 statpoint. Or 1 statpoint for 2 Vigor/Hp. A statpoint costs 5 skillpoints, this matters later. You cannot convert statpoints into skillpoints or vice versa during chargen.

You are also given 25 Credits to spend on your equipment. You may however be able to requisition more.. Exotic gear.

Have fun.

Spoiler: Example sheet (click to show/hide)

Edit: The opening post has been changed to reflect the changes made in the game and its setting. There has also been many changes in its mechanics, requiring the need for this to be stated:
Entry into this game is open. There is no true minimum player count.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:52:16 pm by zomara0292 »
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Castle: Fear your Weakness
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 09:43:38 pm »

(SG)?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 12:03:19 am »

Holy crap. That was not supposed to go up until tomorrow. I only just finished writting in the intro. . . . Is there a way to delete a page thing?
Also, when it goes up officialy, it will be an RP game. Using a system made by a dear one.

Edit:
CHAPTER I: Arkas Team First Flight
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 11:05:43 am by zomara0292 »
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 12:27:11 am »

Is this based on the stick figure animation?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 12:43:09 am »

Hoom hoom, these human things hurry so much..

On a more serious note, PTW. You could try locking the thread until you are ready.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 05:42:52 am »

Hello! I'm the one who came up with this Scenario some years ago and asked a good friend to stat it all out.

Yes, yes it is based on the stick figure animation. Now Athra, [The OP] here wishes to run it and I gave him permission to.

I might even help him run it! :D I've so many unused ideas left! ever since our first party got wiped out in the 2nd encounter.

It was a funny story, actually. See, the whole group came in with a blackhawk gunship of sort, they landed a way's away from the castle and walked the rest of the way there.

Nothing happened at first, not really. They made it to the castle then entered it unopposed. Went up some stairs, all was too quiet, then they got to the 2nd floor and into a sort of meeting chamber. Pretty big, filled with words.

The Group's scientist used his skill and the equipment he brought with him to translate it, and it's just 'Turn back, run, go away, flee.' on repeat that covered the whole place, pretty creepy huh? when the Scientist relayed that to the team, everyone had to make a small simple fright check. They all passed.

They spotted the door that leads to another area at the end of another flight of stairs, looking up, I had everyone do their perception check. Our scout noticed something and shone their light up to the ceiling.

Yep, the ceiling was full of mobs. And everyone started shooting, which caused them to drop and start running for the group. They're pretty slow, a little durable and aren't very scary, so the guns that everyone brought was fine and dandy enough. The Heavy weapon's guy was a great help to the team, sweeping down rows of them with his HMG.

Then things started to fuck up, a horror knight was spotted coming down the stairs, and some people lost their fright check, making them a little shaky and unnerved. Our Scout [Armed with a Katana and a machine pistol by the way,] decide that it was the best idea to charge the heavily metal-clad horror with a sword the size of his whole body.

A failed attack roll and a bad dodge attempt later, he was eviscerated. The spray of blood and guts made everyone do their fright checks again.

This is when we all know that it's all FUBAR. The Heavy machine guns guy crit-failed his fright check, so he must run. But there was no where to run to, so he fought with blind terror. Rolled for how horrible things went for him.. Critted. He ended up shooting the party's doctor 3 times. The HMG rounds easily tore through the free, standard issued flak jacket the doctor had. But he won his con-check and didn't die immediately or explode and was just left wheezing on the floor in his own pool of blood.

He was the only one who knew first aid.

So to Recap. The Scout is eviscerated, HMG guy got overwhelmed by terror, the Doctor is accidentally shot by the HMG guy and is bleeding on the floor.
That left us with the Scientist [Who had the default pistol] and Rifleman [who brought the Anti-Vehicle Gauss rifle.].

The horde is coming in fast, the Rifleman double-tap the terror knight and his big, Gauss round just explodes the horrible thing, providing some comfort to the mind. The Scientist went to heal the doctor but failed his roll so the bleeding is still going. I imagine things must have been very grim for them.

They decided to call the chopper for Evac and started to run for it, leaving the terrified HMG guy to draw attention and picking up the bleeding Doctor.
They carved through the horde blocking the door, practically fall down the stairs, shot anything that got close to them, threw some grenades down the hall behind them, out of the door to see their Savior chopper coming.

They were slower than the running horde since they had to carry the doctor, but they ran long enough for the chopper to arrive and spray the oncoming horde with it's side-mounted chaingun. Awesome things those are. Too bad the Doctor lost his final con check and bled out.

On their way back, they were pursued by a small flock of flying creatures, the rifleman and turret gunner kept them away long enough for the remaining 2 to return back out of the gate.

They were debriefed, got paid for their trouble, and that was the end of our short, bloody mission.

It was very fun to run indeed. :) who knows? Maybe you guys will be the 2nd squad that's sent in and all of what I said is all caught on helmet cameras so you know a little bit of what to expect?
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Castle: Fear for your Weakness (0/6)
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 06:34:15 am »

This is, in fact, based on the stick figure animation. If you have not seen it and want to get an idea of what you are getting into, there is a link to all of them in the name of the game.

On that note, I am not really one to move backwards from a mistake. I also fixed up the opening post and will be accepting characters. Though I only need three to get started, you guys probably wont survive the first castle. mainly because all it takes, as vkiNm pointed out, one bad roll can kill you horridly. And I will be rolling a lot.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 06:41:42 am »

I'm really damn interested in playing a Castle game (thought of making a game similar to it) but I've got a few questions before I join.

First of all, there's magic? Aside from one specific case, I don't remember the humans ever using magic.
Second, some of the skills don't seem like they would be useful in this kind of game. Seduction and Herbology, for example.
Third, will there be NPCs we can control like in Castle III?
Fourth, will you be using only the monsters from the Castle series or will you be adding your own?
Fifth, I noticed one of the skills is mecha-piloting. Is it possible to bring in mecha?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 07:58:53 am »

First of all, there's magic? Aside from one specific case, I don't remember the humans ever using magic.
A simple enough question to answer. Yes. There is psyonic powers that, in this day and age would still be akin to magic. You guys just wont have access to it right away. I wont directly tell you how you can gain access, but, survive long enough and bring home some trophies, and I may hand over to you, the keys to a shiny new fireball.

I'm really damn interested in playing a Castle game (thought of making a game similar to it) but I've got a few questions before I join.

Second, some of the skills don't seem like they would be useful in this kind of game. Seduction and Herbology, for example.
Third, will there be NPCs we can control like in Castle III?
For the first question, it depends on how long this game lasts. I am hopeing to run it for as long as I live, or, even if I cant run it anymore at some point, to hand it off to someone I feel may be able to keep it alive. And, of course, the longer one runs something, especially of this nature, the more new and fresh ideas they have to come up with, so there may be needs of those skills, and they may mean the difference between an easy survival and a difficult one. There are also chances that you will run into other squads (alive or dead) who may have things that will help or harm you. Or may help or harm you. Who knows. (Hint: I do.)

Fourth, will you be using only the monsters from the Castle series or will you be adding your own?
From what I understand, there are four monsters seen in the castle series. Thats enough to run 1 to 3 games, maybe, but, I will need a lot more, and a lot more variations,  so i will be making my own. But, if it helps, you guys may only see 1-5 different types per castle.

Fifth, I noticed one of the skills is mecha-piloting. Is it possible to bring in mecha?
If you survive long enough, yes. But, I doubt you would waste a complex war machine you have to buy directly from the military on people who wont probably come back with it in the first place, or bring back any results.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 09:37:20 am »

I'm a little confused by the character sheet. You meantion secondary stats and 25 bucks to spend on coins? Which stats are secondary and how much does equipment cost? Is there a list somewhere?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 10:27:50 am »

I'm a little confused by the character sheet. You meantion secondary stats and 25 bucks to spend on coins? Which stats are secondary and how much does equipment cost? Is there a list somewhere?
Primary skills (I'm making an "educated guess") are everything except the primary DICS (and the skills, which aren't stats anyway) so
HP, Perception, Will, Vigor, Damage, Lift, Initiative, and Move, unless I missed one.
Equipment list is on pages 9 and 10. I'm a little confused why some equipment is listed as "free X*". Does that mean you get your first for free and the next for X? Or only one free from each table?

Social: Persuasion 1 (A hard skill to learn. Cost 2 points to gain and upgrade)
Craft: Traps 1 (A average level skill to learn. Cost 1 point to gain and upgrade)[/spoiler]
So what exactly does "Attribute-3" mean? I'm inferring from context of your example that it's "You need to spend as many point on level X of this skill as on level X+3 of an easy one" is that correct?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 11:08:48 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 11:34:36 am »

Primary skills (I'm making an "educated guess") are everything except the primary DICS (and the skills, which aren't stats anyway) so
HP, Perception, Will, Vigor, Damage, Lift, Initiative, and Move, unless I missed one.
Equipment list is on pages 9 and 10. I'm a little confused why some equipment is listed as "free X*". Does that mean you get your first for free and the next for X? Or only one free from each table?

The 'Free' means that said equipment is free for you to take for your person. IE: They are default company-issued equipment that you won't have to pay money for.

Of course you can't just take like a crate of them just for the sake of taking, of course, do be reasonable. But they're easy and cheap way to arm your junior agents or NPCs that you may have gotten at some point.

Now, just because they're free doesn't mean they're bad, they're pretty good at what they do, which is killing people. They're just not as specialized as some of the paid ones, which are either more specialized, or have more utility functions such as an under-slung grenade launcher. Or that pistol that can switch between shooting normal AP rounds and HE rounds.

If you survive, regardless of actually obtaining the artifact or not, as long as you learn something new and bring back information or something for the scientists to play with, you'll usually be paid with some money and maybe some experience points to spend on your stats.

Which brings us to an interesting choice of just how far are you willing to risk it. Because normally, by default you'd have a single pouch of ammo, which can hold somewhere between 3 - 6 magazines of ammunition for the default SMG depending on the pouch's and magazine's size. While that sounds like a lot of ammo, you have to keep in mind that the castle is most likely going to be a rather long trek, and just because you got the artifact doesn't mean you win, you'll have to get to the Evac point. Fighting and shooting stuff along the way presumably.

And as our late Scout demonstrated, you do not want to get into melee with a monster that have swords the size of your whole body. While a knife, a sword or maybe even a machete will do fine against the mob that will try to grab you, sink their teeth into you and generally tear you apart if they catch up to you, which they will since they're faster than you [Unless you have a Jeep.], it probably won't do as good against melee specialized monsters. And while attacking a wyvern-like monster with your sword by channeling your inner knight is appealing, it is not advisable.

Who knows? maybe if someone manage to bring back an artifact, somebody can make something like a chainsword or a lightsaber or something.

Still, it's the guns that are the great equalizer, and you will not want to charge into a hostile squad with swords if they have assault rifles shooting armor-piercing rounds.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 11:44:20 am »

you'd have a single pouch of ammo, which can hold somewhere between 3 - 6 magazines of ammunition for the default SMG depending on the pouch's and magazine's size.
Um... pouch? what? How do I learn if it's 3 or 6? Also, is there a free handgun and if not, what is the penalty for going under ST requirements?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 12:32:43 pm »

you'd have a single pouch of ammo, which can hold somewhere between 3 - 6 magazines of ammunition for the default SMG depending on the pouch's and magazine's size.
Um... pouch? what? How do I learn if it's 3 or 6? Also, is there a free handgun and if not, what is the penalty for going under ST requirements?

Ammo Pouch. And I'd imagine that the GM will decide how many magazines does the pouch holds for the gun you'll be using.

And yes, the 10mm Personal Defense Weapon is a free pistol. The 5.56x45mm SMG and 4.73x33mm Carbine with an under-slung grenade launch and a single grenade is also free. But it's ammunition will cost money.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 12:34:52 pm »

It sounds fun to be the scientists  :P I'd love that job.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 612