Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the system for the game receive an overhal?

Yes.
- 4 (66.7%)
No.
- 1 (16.7%)
Yes, but. . . (comment how, below)
- 1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: August 31, 2016, 04:23:26 pm

Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 204

Author Topic: Castle: Fear for your Weakness OOC  (Read 156192 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Castle: Fear for your Weakness OOC
« Reply #1770 on: October 01, 2016, 09:03:13 pm »

From the Magi's perspective that's how it is perceived.

From an external, nonMagi's perspective, the Magi they were looking at literally pulled an elephant or similar out of midair.

From an external Magi's perspective the Magi doing the summon decided that This Was A Thing and then reality resolved to make it so.

If an external Magi was trying to counter the summon, they'd be trying to make the argument that "No, this is not a Thing and never was." And it would end up in the equivalent of a debate between the two Magi arguing the Existence or Nonexistence of the summon with the Universe as a judge. The majority of upper tier magical duels are functionally extremely deadly oral debates.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: October 01, 2016, 09:09:01 pm »

How would I word a action so that it seems like I noticed the thing i'm trying to summon while also not making it certain that I noticed anything? Like this? Melnakos attempts to notice the small doglike creature in front of him.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 09:15:32 pm by Prophet »
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: October 01, 2016, 09:14:44 pm »

Well technically you can just go Melnakos attempts to conjure a small doglike creature.

That won't give you any bonuses to the roll from rp, but it would achieve the desired effect.

You could also go Melnakos reaches behind the veil of reality and slowly begins to pull the leg of a doglike beast from between the seams. Which might give you something larger then just a small doglike creature on top of potentially getting a bonus.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: October 01, 2016, 09:18:14 pm »

Wouldn't that be like I assumed that I was successful in reaching behind the veil of reality and took it out of the GM's hands though or would it ok since the gm would decide what I got out of it and if what came out wanted to rip my face off? Also would there be a difference between Occultism and Arcanism in how they are perceived since Occultism requires a longer process?
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: October 01, 2016, 09:23:02 pm »

You're already capable of reaching behind the veil. The issue is pulling something out in the first place. So although you might get a leg out. It might suddenly snap closed. Leaving you with a severed leg. Or maybe it won't be all that friendly. Or maybe it'll get sucked back in as soon as ya pull it out.

Occultism is more redefining reality on a largescale via rituals and circles and chanting and sigla. Functionally everything within a Circle is what the mage is defining as True. Most of Occultism's power comes from the runes and sigla. You're basically writing a computer script for existence and then fueling it somehow. Arcanism is more of making a "This Is True" statement.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: October 01, 2016, 09:24:50 pm »

Wait, there are goblins?

And they're like WoW goblins?

*salivates*

!!SCIENCE!!

Goblins hoy! *high five*

@Current topic: So for a visible light spectrum magi, causing light to appear in a completely dark place is a reasonable action? Or would that be rather difficult, roll wise?

Ideas for VisSpec Spells:

Target Highlight - Causes a soft but noticeable glow to appear off of the target. Inversed for decreased of visibility. Intensified to blind onlookers.
Flash - Intensify the light going into the target's optical system. Should cause disorientation of some effect. Inversed for blinding. Intensified for optical system damage.
Darkness ala D&D - So you know how you could see things into or out of that circle/sphere of area? Nope. Inversed for Target Highlight branching offness.

Hypothetically, sufficient ranks may allow lasers, but VisSpec is almost certainly a very inefficient way of going about it. I feel as though Holograms or even Scrying is possible, but it would definitely be a one of the higher ranks for those, especially for Arcanism.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: October 01, 2016, 09:30:49 pm »

So Occultism is more like I'm making this true instead of it has always been true?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: October 01, 2016, 09:38:18 pm »

Producing light where there is none would be possible. It would actually be very easy. As would amplifying existing light, so making a match produce light on par with a torch for example.

Target Highlight would work. Wouldn't do much to help something that is blind. Blind means the person cannot see after all.

Flash would work. Functionally a single person nonconcussive flashbang. Would have difficulty affecting machines intended to resist bright lights.

Removing light from a location is possible. Although you might find it easier to lower the light level to a point that someone cannot see rather than completely expunging it. Pitch Black is Very dark.

Higher ranks would be definitely capable of shooting beams of light such as lasers, as well as amplifying existing lasers and sources of light. Holograms are a midrank thing and have some level of overlap with illusion>Occular.

Scrying is much harder and mostly an Occultism thing. You'd find it easier with levels in Geomancy (Shape of the earth), Astral Projection (Sight from the Veil), and enchanting (Maps of the land). You could technically do something and go (shape of the light) but that's pretty advanced extreme range lightsense there.

So Occultism is more like I'm making this true instead of it has always been true?
Yes. Occultism is literally deleting a section of reality and replacing it with your desire.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: October 01, 2016, 09:44:08 pm »

Ah now I get the whole debate/fist fight thing that was going on. One is is fighting with reality by deleting a part of it and replacing it with what you want and the other is getting reality to go along with what you think is real. So maybe having points in both the the Occultism and Arcanism version of some skills might be a good idea?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: October 01, 2016, 09:46:16 pm »

Having points in both the Arcanism and Occultism versions of the same thing would be advantageous for a specialized Magi. Lets them do both big things and little things easily rather than just big things or just little things. More versatility.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: October 01, 2016, 09:48:57 pm »

PTW
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: October 01, 2016, 09:51:07 pm »

When we gain some exp will I be able to put points in the Arcanism version of conjuration creatures since I already have points in the Occultism version or will we need to find a source of knowledge about it first?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: October 01, 2016, 09:53:51 pm »

You wouldn't need additional knowledge to make the transition from Occultism to Arcanism. They end the same, just different coding languages and different grades of power.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: October 01, 2016, 09:56:13 pm »

So how is the foxhound side of things going? I haven't caught up yet. Only 46 pages to go though.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: October 01, 2016, 09:58:15 pm »

The inverse parts are meant as an attempt to do the opposite of the spell, such as using Inverse Target Highlight on the caster to make themselves less visible to others. I'm not sure of the physics behind that but magic doesn't need physics apparently, though it helps.

Inverse Flash (probably better called Blinding) is effectively preventing VisSpec light from interacting with the optical systems of the target.

Inverse Darkness is more than a bit pretentious in naming, but there's a pattern to be followed. Notes taken on more practical applications.

Scrying is more possible than expected. Though with (shape of the light) I'm now wondering how possible speed buffs and teleportation might be.

Thank you again for all of your answers. The magic system of Castle is a lot more flexible and complex than I'd first guessed, which is quite fantastic.

You wouldn't need additional knowledge to make the transition from Occultism to Arcanism. They end the same, just different coding languages and different grades of power.
Is that true for Arcanism to Occultism?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 204