Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: FT. Noob-Dwarffortress Succession Fort-Recruiting overseers  (Read 6390 times)

RenneMouz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FT. Noob-Dwarffortress Succession Fort
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2015, 11:41:28 am »

ok, I reckon I might as well do an update.. I've almost finished the project I had in mind for the fortress..
I'll put all of my images in spoiler brackets so that it doesn't lag out anyone's computers - they are all pretty much full screenshots.

From the very beginning...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Artifacts of the fort.

Ground Zero.
As you can see, I decided to stop the dwarves making all thoose traps and just wall the entire untrapped area off. Mainly because I couldn't be bothered to wait around the whole time until the dwarves got their act together and decided to build it.
Gwolfski evidently could.

I see that even amidst all this suffering that my decadent predecessor, Gwolfski, not only nabbed himself a dwarf, but also a few key roles and a Royal Throne Room. Just look at this poor cat for example. No greater cruelty could have befallen the unfortunate creature.

Finally, in other news, many people often wait until they have a thriving fortress to begin to envision their ambitions, but not I. I have an idea of a mini- megaproject that, complete in 1 year, will be able to mantle our fortress in awe.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2015, 12:04:13 pm »

actually I was the one that gelded the cat, and jeeze that's a lot of artifacts!
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2015, 02:37:05 pm »

i suggest finidhing odf the wall. a were beast got in during my turn. the traps are suposed to be there. if you put walls there the whoile thing will become slightlyuseless
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

RenneMouz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2015, 02:57:25 am »

Worry not Gwolfski! The walls are now complete, and should outright block anything that wants to get through, meaning that any werebeasties that wish to enter our fort will be redirected through the traps anyway - if they choose to enter through the trap tunnel there  could be some minor problems but I'm sure that the new (read - smaller because I needed more workers) militia can see them off.

MIDWAY UPDATE - I'm halfway through winter right now, but I reckon I'll post the mid-way (i.e. summer) update in this post.

First off - the (megaproject? - miniproject? - mega/miniproject? - project?) that the hardworking dorfs of this fort have been working on has seen the necessity for more efficiency and the creation of a working caste.

Pyrosheep, when you inherit this fort from me I may or may not have been too lazy to reassign them all, but in short, all the 'Oppressed Chinese Workers' you see there have only got Masonry and Wall/Floor Construction labors turned on (the better to produce rock blocks and build the massive
I was planning)

I received a bunch of immigrants as well (7 of the parasites) so they were pretty much all reassigned as 'Oppressed Construction Workers' to toil away on the hugely dangerous project I have. They had, I think, Wall/Floor construction and Construction removal, but no masonry.

In other news, Gwolfski's cage trap wall seems to have caught a couple Giant Ticks and a red panda sow.
All the stonecrafters were helping on the project and I had forgotten to ask for any rock crafts from the Craftsdwarf's workshop anyway, so I traded the merchants a giant tick for 5 dogs.

Vampires!
some pleb was found dead in the Dormitory. No, he didn't matter. I  took the opportunity to convict some three-year old (because nobody likes children), but due to the fort not actually having any sort of justice system, the child walks free from the trumped - up charges I wanted him arrested on.

Lastly, some peasant thinks that it's okay to slack off work and organise a party in the meeting hall. I locked the
loser in with another pleb and a few children. And if I forget to unlock that door, by 'accident'... then good riddance. Nah, just kidding. He's valuable - if not another worker, then definately an extra body for the militia. I'll let him out once he's learned his lesson.

I also started smoothing the main body of the fortress, because god- damn I couldn't tell the difference between inside and out down there.

P.S, anyone know a decent free image hosting service? right now I'm using imageshack, but as I have only a trial account these screenshots I've been posting will only last a month. sucks.

RenneMouz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2015, 05:32:06 am »

Amidst such lovely news, the year 110, along with my rulership over this domain, has come to pass. I'll upload the save as soon as possible, but DFFD has decided it doesn't like me - 'A server error has occurred' so I guess that we can either wait or use something else like Mega upload - I have an account on that, if you all feel happy with that option.

I'll post the Winter update now.

NEWS OF THE FORTRESS:

The megaproject has come to completion, but not without cost. The Cook, Thikut Paintautumn, was putting the finishing touches on the construction when he fell from the scaffolding into a pool of stagnant water along with a peasant, a woodcutter and a dog. Ironically, while the others were floundering about and drowning, Thikut pulled himself out with only one leg, a punctured lung, a snapped spine and broken ribs. How anyone does that I can only guess. Unfortunately this trooper died a few seconds after pulling himself out, but a post mortem pat on the back for being the first out!
All of the other unfortunates were actually fine, with only minor bruises to go around. Seems like poor Thikut took the brunt of the attack.

There was another vampire attack.

We also had to murder our captive Panda and a war dog so that we could have the joy of this piece of junk:
I'm actually more interested in the Legendary Engraver that resulted from it - hey, we had about 10 dogs anyway (excluding puppies, which just pushes the count higher)

A megabeastie thought that it could take us on.
It ran away a few minutes later.

Somehow an axedwarf and her baby fell into the moat and drowned. It's a pity, because Urvad Malfoser is such a manly name. Funny how they were right next to each other but only ol' Urvad was noticed.

SOME OTHER STUFF HAPPENED
Part 2 is coming next time...

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2015, 11:49:58 am »

use imgur.com. werebeats ignore traps. who has the most skills and is the oldest ?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

RenneMouz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
all hail the unicorn
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2015, 01:16:44 pm »

Umm ok. My Imgur account won't let me upload pictures for some reason - the box is always greyed out - so I guess it means I'll keep using Imageshack and, well anyone who sees my posts next month or later.. well forget them!

I know that we got a legendary engraver from my turn, (from making an artifact flute, go figure) but no other artifact makers, and if you mean who is the most well rounded, it would probably be some cripple with half their leg missing (the caste that is a surprisingly large percentage our fort, so don't doubt it), but I can't even hazard a guess at the oldest without going through all of them and I'm simply too lazy for that, but I'll have the save uploaded by next post so feel free to browse the fortress archives at your lesiure...

Important news incoming..
I kinda feel like I should spill the beans about the project I had finished in my turn, as apart from an army of construction-workers-turned-adequate-engravers, one artifact and a ton of gneiss and rutile blocks (I'm serious) - just see these numbers -

- I haven't really done much, to be honest. And that's where this comes in.
Not only is it an impressive monument for our front garden, but it also doubles up as a Bookkeeper's and manager's office (so what if they happen to be the same dwarf) who I levelled up and is now Expert Organiser - so don't go replacin' her, ya hear me!

It is a state of the art statue of a unicorn, accurate to the last detail.
Heres a pic of the bookkeeper's office.
The appendage on the left is part of its tail.
... And the other one? lets just say it is
ACCURATE. TO THE LAST DETAIL.

anyway this is the top of it's (platinum) horn. 14 z levels of pure awesomeness.
Ain;t no way to use platinum like using it for a unicorn horn! (and eyes also)

In fact to answer Gwolfski's question, the most levelled would probably be one of these guys;
After I got the fort from Gwolfski, I thinned down the military in favour of a larger workforce and appropriated this funny little building on the surface as a barracks for them. They've been quietly training away (as wrestlers, because I forgot to assign 3/5 of them weapons so they'd rather just show each other how to punch the whole time) but I reckon that it is definately these guys who have the most legendary skills and best levels, even if they only use them for one job, killing stuff. At the same time, I did spot a few workerdwarves who impressed me, so I made sure not to amalgamate them into the underpriveleged masses but at the same time forgot who they were.. but don't worry, I reckon Pyrosheep will notice in time.

After our fortress grew to over 50, our expedition leader started to get Big Ideas about how he should be treated, being the leader of the gang. In true dwarf fortress style he was left to whine and mandate his way to losing an election, and against one of the oppressed workers no less! Who was subsequently noticed by yours truly, named the Champion of Marxism (I know, it seems over the top, but so does having a dwarf marked 'Oppressed Construction Worker' as your Mayor) and given these luxurious quarters that can only be accessed by a stairway down from one of the legs of my unicorn statue. (Cool huh?)

OTHER STUFF I DID SO THAT MY REIGN WASN'T A COMPLETE FAILURE:
uuh, at the risk of sounding cocky and over confident

smoothed the main body of the fortress and added some bedrooms

To be honest, this was more out of fear for the Dormitory of death than anything else - 2 dudes have died in the same room, to the same vampire, hell, they were even in the same bed! (Illustration showing the Bed of Doom with added inspirational quote from Goden Blockadegulfs - back to work Goden!)

I half dug out a few symmetrical rooms that could appeal to my OCD (more than anything else in this fortress)
but didn't put anything in them yet -- you can use them for stockpiles, workshops, anything really. My favourite way is having a stack of 3 layers of this design, putting raw goods in the top layer (wood, stone etc), workshops in the middle and output stockpiles (finished goods, furniture storage etc) on the bottom layer - remembering to include the 2x2 up/down staircases at the corners of the rooms, that speeds up efficiency no end.

Here's a unit list of our fortress current (well, almost)

You'll notice a load of 'Stoner' dwarves, say hello to my godawful humour.
They're the core workforce, basically the Oppressed Chinese Workers who were slacking too much and had nothing to do.
They're engravers, and some have got pretty good at it, but if you're planning on doing some engravings (rather than just smoothing) I'd recommend turning the 'Stone Detailing' Labor off on all but the 'Kool Kat' who I noticed was running around our fortress as a Legendary Engraver after making a snazzy flute. The rest of them are generally Skilled- Adequate Engravers, but feel free to repurpose them and the rest of the Worker dwarves to do whatever your crazy dreams would desire. Anyone actually left alone (or given a custom designation) is generally pretty good at what they are doing, so you can let them crack on, but feel free to go through them all again.

The 'Hero of the Fortress' was some Metalsmith who's legendary in something or other, who runs around the fortress with a crutch and does loads of awesome stuff.
the 'Scaredycat' is some dwarf who kept getting scared after they saw loads of dead stuff in the refuse stockpile and cancelling jobs, so I decided on a public shaming to persuade them to become a better (i.e. more thick-skinned, stupid and obedient) dwarf.
The 'Miner's Apprentice' is some Peasant who I consripted, right now he's pretty bad at mining, but I reckon he'll improve in time.
Gwolfski's spent the last year in bed with a bruised foot (you poor dear)
and RenneMouz is now going to live out the rest of his fortress days as that Legendary Engraver, because I like him. (Fun fact: I gave him the name Kool Kat before I decided to be him cuz he's awesome  ;))
... well that pretty much sums up the fortress (or how it has changed in my turn at least) , in one mountain-sized post. Umm, hell. I'll upload the save next post (promise) and in return for you guys' patience I've given y'all a 'RenneMouz Tour' around our fortress - just tap N (capital) to bring up the notes screen and move the curser around, have a look at the stuff that's going on.
AAand, I'm out. Peace!

RenneMouz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2015, 04:46:17 am »

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11107
here is the file lol
There'll be instructions and other stuff in the description, turns out it was because of my browser that DFFD was playing up...

PyroSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2015, 10:26:48 pm »

I'm downloading the save now will start playing as soon as its finished :P

PyroSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2015, 12:16:54 am »

Ive begun playing and write up as I go, does anybody know if we have any flux stones in this embark?

RenneMouz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2015, 02:47:53 am »

beats me. but if you needed some gneiss blocks for anything... ;D

PyroSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2015, 03:01:49 am »

I'm getting 13 fps (13 game ticks per second you normally have 60-120) so I think I'm going to have to call my turn here sorry guys guess my computer cant handle it which is weird...

well this looks okay there's a shortage of alcohol but we can take care of that, little weird we have 4 wrestlers but okay.
oh. I have some work to do I'm going to basically rebuild the fort down where ren started to dig out workshops.
well I better look at the dwarves (I have never used the in game manager, I've only used dwarf therapist) I'm going the rename most of the dwarves with their main labors/roles so I can tell whos who and if I've lost anybody important I wont rename anybody named something special already I also took the liberty of renaming the legendary miner Pyrosheep. I made gwolfski a gem cutter/setter since he has high cutting skill and removed all unnecessary labors for renmouz so he can spend his days engraving in peace. I also changed a lot of the engravers over to furnace operating or military as we do NOT need more wealth right now.
I noticed that the mayor has 928 kills and it says hes killed two of our dwarves so I guess I found our vampire, because vampires don't need food or water I'm going to lock him in a room with all his noble needs and make him manager etc ill make a way to dump captured enemies and unwanted children into his room for disposal later. also he REALLY doesn't want us to export traction benches as he just re issued the same mandate twice..

I was bored so I decided to look at the artifacts that had been made

damn that's a nice door
dank mug
those were the best two

SHIT
well guess a ghost is running this fortress..... dammit I was our only good miner I should have locked the vamp up sooner.
apparently he feels some remorse though so that's sad his need for blood overrides his guilt
well at least we know about Giant Ticks now if we train them enough and keep this world gen going our faction will have domesticated Giant Ticks
well at least we know the moat works..
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:33:17 am by PyroSheep »

PyroSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2015, 04:55:43 am »

ill upload the save tomorrow

PyroSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2015, 01:49:58 am »

RenneMouz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2015, 04:57:01 am »

uhhh, is there actually anyone else in the turn queue?
I reckon we might need to start recruiting again.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6