Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 426225 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06]
« Reply #1065 on: August 04, 2016, 04:44:16 am »

You know, I just realised something. The tone of Breadbowl has changed, not just because of all the death, but because of the reaction to it.

Before The Great Fire, Breadbowl was a compassionate fort. We had quite a few stressed dwarves, but they were well looked after: isolated in well-furnished rooms, with the mayor listening to their problems and consoling/pacifying them. She even blamed an attack on herself on the Duke rather than blame the stressed dwarf. Political, maybe, but compassionate.

Now though, Murky just goes around caving in the head of anyone who starts trouble. Nobody even tells her who to kill, she just stalks the fort doling out vigilante murderjustice, and everyone seems okay with that. Treating depression via natural selection would never have occurred to me, but it is very dwarven.

It warms my soul that I have taken a loving farm, and smashed it heart into tiny little pieces.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: August 04, 2016, 08:14:39 am »

I have saved a streak of forts so long I'm getting tired of doing it. I had plans for this fort. I was going to open hell, kill the demons with repeating spike traps, and we were going to eat them. Look what happened to that plan. So I took my anger out on the fort even as I saved it.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: August 04, 2016, 09:02:30 am »

Back in my days, after rounds of sparring, I'd sit at the fisher's wharf and have a nice simple Breadbowl chowder.
Nowadays, they be serving up Greatbowls of Fire seasoned with tears of despair and Johnny Cash tunes in the background.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: August 06, 2016, 02:26:09 am »

So, I decided to examine the save while we wait for MoonyTheHuman to get back to us. A few points of interest:

To my surprise, quite a few named dwarves are actually still alive. More than I expected, certainly:

Also shown: nobles and dwarves of importance.

Wait a second, does that say Zuglarkun?

So, apparently Zuglarkun is not only not dead, but she has been added to the dining room as furniture so her madness can entertain everyone. Seriously, how is this dwarf not dead? It's been how many years since she was locked up?

Apparently this is also a thing:

Yeah, um, guys... Bearskie's dead. He's not using that office anymore. A married couple have moved into his old bedroom.

Our one surviving adult draltha has seen some shit. I say "one", but it's more like "0.8":

And finally, we have a few dead goblins...

Okay a lot of dead goblins. This is the contents of a single tile (one of the weapon traps in the barracks entrance):

How have we not defeated the Hell of Emancipating yet?

(Edit) Speaking of the Hell of Emancipating... they're not doing so well anymore. Their main population is at 8033 Goblins, 11188 Trolls, 10976 Ogres and 5 elves. So they're still basically endless, but I'm pretty sure they used to have more than that...

As far as I can tell, their march upon the world has stopped, and they've focused their entire military might on Breadbowl, they haven't attacked anyone but us for the last 3 years.

Between 241 and 242 they had a small civil war:
Started in 241, early winter, and is still ongoing. The War of Boring was waged by  The Hell of Emancipating on  The Hell of Emancipating.
31 killed. This appears to be an attempted coup: an attack by The Hell of Emancipating on The Golden Torment. The Golden Torment are the founders of The Hell of Emancipating, and their master is a member.
In 241, early winter, (3rd of Moonstone)  The Hell of Emancipating attacked The Golden Torment of  The Hell of Emancipating at Hairpoisons. In The Siege of Cyclones as part of The War of Boring.
The Master herself ended up stepping in to suppress the assault.
In 241, midwinter, (25th of Opal) the elf Song Spideryspecial was struck down by the demon Nithami Splashwash the Eagle of Moistness in Singrooves. In The Onslaught of Maws as part of The War of Boring.

My guess: Breadbowl has become something of a thorn in the side of The Hell of Emancipating, and their Master has become obsessed with our destruction. The goblins would prefer to just keep expanding and conquering, but Nithami and her Loyalists won't let them: not until Breadbowl falls and she has King Sibrek's head onna stick. They call their war The Singed Conflict, which seems... fitting. A promise to burn Breadbowl to the ground (again).

And it's looking like that might actually happen. We've lost a lot of good dwarves to their attacks; the year 245 saw our most significant losses to date.

In 240, early spring, (8th of Granite) the dwarf `Sqman' Mansionpull was struck down by the troll Zolak Drilleddemons in Breadbowl. In The Cremated Sieges as part of The Singed Conflict.

In 242, early summer, (7th of Hematite) the dwarf `Hiddenleafguy' Trustpages was struck down by the goblin Amxu Gorgedmenaced with a iron spear in Breadbowl. In The Onslaught of Burning as part of The Singed Conflict.

In 245, early spring, (4th of Granite) the dwarf `Lordbrassroast' Calmabbey was struck down by the goblin Nako Riddledtorment with a silver whip in Breadbowl. In The Ignited Onslaught as part of The Singed Conflict.

In 245, early spring, (5th of Granite) the dwarf `Imic' Fliersacks was struck down by the goblin Kutsmob Routsin with a silver short sword in Breadbowl. In The Ignited Onslaught as part of The Singed Conflict.

In 245, early spring, (5th of Granite) the dwarf `Browedeyesfairy' Lashcrazes was struck down by the goblin Estrur Emeraldscorpions with a iron war hammer in Breadbowl.

In 245, early spring, (6th of Granite) the dwarf `Japa' Ringpanthers bled to death, slain by the goblin Nguslu Sinfulsculpted with a iron bolt from a copper crossbow in Breadbowl. In The Ignited Onslaught as part of The Singed Conflict.

In 245, early winter, (2nd of Moonstone) the dwarf `Neblime' Pulleyburied was struck down by the goblin Smunstu Hungerpoison with a iron flail in Breadbowl. In The Assault of Monsters as part of The Singed Conflict.

In 245, early winter, (3rd of Moonstone) the dwarf `Angus' Leanwheels the Pointy Ape of Mines was struck down by the goblin Dostngosp Malignedprisons with a copper scourge in Breadbowl. In The Assault of Monsters as part of The Singed Conflict.

They might be letting up, though. Their most recent attack, The Steamy Assault in 247, early autumn, apparently consisted of 2 goblins, only one of which was historically noteworthy. It... didn't go well for them.

In 247, early autumn, (3rd of Limestone) the goblin Ngerxung Menacedholds was struck down by the dwarf `Murky' Sabrenight the Blaze of Champions with a (27437) in Breadbowl. In The Steamy Assault as part of The Singed Conflict.

"Murky Sabrenight the Blaze of Champions".

Best title. Ever.

Other dwarves with titles in the Breadbowl military include...

'Angus' Leanwheels the Pointy Ape of Mines (deceased)
Lor Lashsnarl the Barricaded Plane of Desserts (yes, that's "desserts", not "deserts". I guess he has a sweet tooth?)
Sibrek Gatemoistened the Brass Aura of Dwellings (daughter of Japa! I guess he named her after the king?)
`Sanctume' Tongswane the Dead Fold (weilder of the Silver Mace Alaknikot, "The Ace Actions")
Urist Enjoyglove the Strong Passage of Steel
`Taupe' Peaktreaty the Braided Cut-spray of Influence (founder and wielder of the Adamantine Spear Kastoltegir, "The Emancipated Breed")
Edem Coppercity the Confusing Serpent of Stilling (deceased, killed by Likot Pagedboards the Fabulous Unions)
`Alexis' Bannersnarls the Venerable Sheens (deceased)
Likot Pagedboars the Fabulous Unions (got her title by killing 6 dwarves of Breadbowl, including war hero Edem Coppercity. She's a bone carver)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:02:05 am by QuQuasar »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: August 06, 2016, 02:44:37 am »

Check their population. A single dark fortress can have up to 13k goblins (usually capping at ~10500) and 2,5k each of ogres(% on evil plains), beak dogs and trolls.

Of course, if they came from dark pits they totes should be depleted.

I think you need to put up a sign "Do not feed teh Zuglarkun". That's how he's been staying alive, I think - check if cage has seeds?

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: August 06, 2016, 03:28:31 am »

I think my berserk avatar now counts as an enemy to the civilization, so I don't think I've been fed. Though no ones stopping you from conducting science to ascertain this.

However, I think the explanation is much simpler. You know how necromancers achieve immortality by reading the secrets of life and death from a tome or slab?

I've achieved "immortality" by means of meditating on the sheer insanity of dwarf overseers; I've looked into the labyrinthine depths of the abyss circus dwarven psyche and it has granted me its eternal bounty. In other words, I've transcended the dwarven condition. Now instead of subsisting on booze and plump helmets, I run on pure unadulterated !!RAGE!!

Just think, years later when the fortress has crumbled to its end, I'll still be there. A grim living (unliving?) reminder of the time when Breadbowl tilted a bit too far into the crazy end of the insane spectrum.

You should all join too. Its fun being a piece of living furniture. Like something out of a tzimisce tapestry.

EDIT: In retrospect I blame our current misfortunes on our failing to keep our population of Giant Hamsters appeased/ alive. Its the CURSE OF THE GIANT HAMSTERS I TELL YOU!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 03:38:11 am by Zuglarkun »

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: August 06, 2016, 08:58:54 am »

I checked their population a while back. I noted they had 8k goblins, 11k trolls and 10k ogres so we haven't made an impact. We have, however, managed to stop their assault on the civilized world.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: August 06, 2016, 09:47:50 am »

Not altogether. I believe Breadbowl has been attacked from only a single site - what's the population of that site?

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #1073 on: August 06, 2016, 11:07:59 am »

I need the save. kthx (IM ALIVE, YAAAY)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: August 06, 2016, 11:15:00 am »

Well, this is the end of my yearish as overseer. Things have gotten much better. Murky cut away the rotten flesh so the body could recover. Increasing the alcohol ration did the rest. I'd like to note that the alcohol ration is the minimum alcohol a dwarf is required to drink. Anyway, we only have three haggard dwarves left. But it turns out I[/i] really hate responsibility. I'm tired of people asking me what to do! I don't know! Go haul something! I'm done! I quit! Fuck off!

SAVE: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12293

Stuff for the next overseer to do:
 - Dump all these fucking limbs and corpses and old clothes and shit
 - Maybe melt some stuff?
 - I dunno man you'll think of something

There you disappearing Moony go.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #1075 on: August 06, 2016, 12:11:16 pm »

Actually, can i be moved back one? please?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: August 06, 2016, 03:10:24 pm »

Damn, jinxed it.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: August 08, 2016, 02:26:59 am »

Actually, can i be moved back one? please?
Sure. I've dropped you down one year and sent a message to Paddywagon Man.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: August 08, 2016, 06:57:36 am »

I'd like to be dorfed as HMetal. If available, an administrator will do. If not, a recruit. Preferably male.
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: August 08, 2016, 02:31:53 pm »

I'd like to be dorfed as HMetal. If available, an administrator will do. If not, a recruit. Preferably male.
Certainly. Anyonne else want a dwarf? We've got a surplus at the moment.

Paddywagon man has bowed out, so the turn falls to Migrant.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 105