Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 424546 times)

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Requesting Overseers
« Reply #1215 on: October 04, 2016, 10:57:50 pm »

From the diary of Captain Likot, Acting Overseer of Breadbowl:

1 Moonstone 249

ONLY ONE MORE SEASON BEFORE THIS CURSED YEAR ENDS!!!

The only significant news that I haven't recorded yet out of the mess that has been the year 249 so far is the flooding of a short section of tunnel. Apparently one of the doors leading out of the area that's been flooded for years hadn't been forbidden, and some damnfool opened it. The result was a puddle on the next floor down, and slightly more significant flooding (a few yards of tunnel at 7/7) two levels below, near the fancy tombs. When the problem happened, I immediately forbade the problem door, and ordered the construction of an alternate route to the lower levels that didn't pass through the flooded area. What with our labor situation (and the reputation of our only experienced miner), I thought this would never be done, but I just checked again, and apparently it has. We did lose a few dwarves in the flooding; the only one of note was our other philosopher, Aristotle.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: October 04, 2016, 11:06:04 pm »

Holy bacheezus, I'm honored. Thanks, Luneya!
As for the fort, could you get the combat log for the FB? If you're using LNP, the story maker has this option to include the combat log in its output. Please?

Sorry if I sound needy, but my morbid curiosity has gotten to me.

The LNP version I have doesn't include a story maker. What I do have is Announcement Window+, which saved the log output, but didn't provide any useful export. So I've screen captured all of it. There's far too much for me to post here, so I've zipped it and uploaded to dffd. The screenshots were captured in order of occurrence, so just sort by the timestamp in the file names.

EDIT: I screwed up with the screen capture. Will edit this post again once fixed. Don't download until that's done.
REEDIT: Corrected file version 2 now uploaded. Download away.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 11:21:12 pm by luneya »

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: October 05, 2016, 09:04:32 am »

It was some sort of giant spider or something; its FB power was web-spinning. As for the large count of dead, yeah, the early bunch was from its moving towards our main underground workshops and stockpiles, and the haulers not getting out of the way. And then it proved difficult to kill, with several of our big-name military dwarves falling in the process. It finally went down just before I was forced to resort to drafting every able-bodied dwarf I had left.

Spoiler: Well, uh ... (click to show/hide)

!!FUN!! !!☼NIGHTMARE FUEL☼!!
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: October 05, 2016, 11:08:32 am »

Of course the zebra-saint is carnivorous.

Of course.

*croaks*

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: October 05, 2016, 11:44:22 am »

Holy body count. Hard to believe Taupe is dead; he was the greatest badass of Breadbowl.

I can't help but feel responsible; the fort started falling apart after my turn.
Wait, Taupe is dead? I missed that. That means there are no founders left. (That's my fault a little, Murky killed two of the founders during my turn. But they were tantruming, so it's their own fault.)

That's true, but it's not your fault. You just got really shitty luck. It was Gwolfski's fault. Not trading with the caravans, almost slaughtering the elves, not posting a single picture, giving us like three spare updates in a fort where roleplay is everything, and then giving me a save with like three months left on his turn.

I have no idea how to check that
One of the tabs you can add to therapist is a personality traits tab. Then just sort all the dwarves by stress vulnerability.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 11:48:08 am by TheFlame52 »

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: October 05, 2016, 12:19:45 pm »

On the bright side (more or less), the giant louse's owner's dead. Don't know which is more ☼NIGHTMARE FUEL☼ than the other. Take your pick:

A : A giant louse

B : The FB which killed 62 dwarves.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: October 05, 2016, 12:22:57 pm »

No, no. I'm pretty sure you can't lay the blame on Gwolfski for FB showing up 2 years after his turn and killing everyone, especially when hole(s) to fortress/surface have existed since Breadbowl was half as young (at least, I recall my initial review of Breadbowl save, before NCommander's turn, pointed some out).

luneya did get to fixing the holes, though too bad it got interrupted by dwarves needing to eat :P Well, that's the typical story of how a fortress falls, right? "Do this job now: Nope, gotta eat " *death*

At least it wasn't a retracting bridge.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 12:25:43 pm by Fleeting Frames »

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: October 05, 2016, 12:33:16 pm »

Or in a sci-fi equivalent of Breadbowl:

The civilian builder company was ordered to patch the gaping holes (namely a conduit) into the [insert technobabble dimension thing-a-ma-jig]. But the blue-collar builders went on a hunger strike, because really low pay. After the pay increase, they really needed to eat. Then, an unknown, almost alive, if you will, self-piloting starship of massive size comes in, shoots a hole into the station, and leaves 62 people to be dead.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: October 05, 2016, 02:41:23 pm »

Okay, so I'm back again. It's time to play through this winter turn so I can pass the reins to someone else who can decide on a new direction for Breadbowl. The first order of business, is that with Luneya's death and my decision to use a default-named dwarf as replacement overseer character, I'm not dorfed. So let's fix that by introducing the perfect avatar to represent my reign as overseer. Ladies and gentledwarves, I present Murphy Eshtanudib, Orphan:

My term as overseer, after all, has been one giant demonstration of Murphy's Law, with three different design flaws from overseers long past all returning to cause FUN within a year and a half. First, there was the ettin incident, in which an incomprehensible ocean-side mega-construction unleashed FUN on an army of goblins (and a few Breadbowl citizens who got in the way). Then there was the mega-FUN unguarded bridge bringing an FB to chew up half the populace. And finally (at least I hope it's the final incident), there was the return of the flooded room problem from way back in the early years of Breadbowl. Yep, Murphy's done a bang-up job here, and deserves a living memorial to his efforts.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: October 05, 2016, 02:59:00 pm »

When will murphy turn 12?

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: October 05, 2016, 03:31:09 pm »

I have no idea how to find dwarves' exact birthdays. But I do know that we're facing one last visit from the other Murphy, the one my child orphan is named for.

Yep, it's another FB. I didn't worry about the initial announcement because I had secured the biggest cavern vulnerability. But it looks like this one's found the same escape route that the ettin used earlier, and is approaching the fort from the surface. I'm ordering the bridges closed, and hope that they do it in time. There's no way we can kill this thing right now.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: October 05, 2016, 03:38:04 pm »

Incidentally, I found the exact trouble spot. It's here:

Notice the unbuilt wall just above the cage traps that were previously the only thing protecting the fort. That's my correction to the problem, but it probably won't be finished before I hand the save over. So my successor should check on it and take further action if needed.

Also note that this position also allows access to the underground portions of the fort. We are fortunate that the FB (and presumably the ettin before it) pathed to the better-defended surface fort rather than to our vulnerable underbelly.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: October 05, 2016, 03:38:43 pm »

Just when things couldn't get any worse. Go, MetalHead183, GO!

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: October 05, 2016, 03:47:48 pm »

Update: The wall did get built quickly, but I've lost sight of the beast. It certainly isn't dead, and could pop out of hiding at any moment to slaughter us. And it can probably still get into the stairways to appear in the poorly-defended lower levels.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: October 05, 2016, 03:52:24 pm »

Oh, you can probably kill that thing right now. No natural weapons, and being made of steam means that it goes down in like 1-2 hits (having only upper body, lower body and shell, and first two being fatal to lose.)

Though that doesn't mean it can't hurt a dwarf. Still, it literally can be killed by a thrown leaf.

Can also just leave it, won't hurt anything.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 105