Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 424583 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Need overseers! Apply within!
« Reply #1350 on: October 27, 2016, 09:29:53 pm »

I guess I was wrong :<

Just have to brew them before cooking then, I guess, though not like the fort is about to fulfil the booze mandate.

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: October 28, 2016, 08:47:43 am »

Re: +wild boar parchment roast [17]+
I suggest we add this to the first page because this is weird.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: October 28, 2016, 11:49:09 am »

I might be interested in doing a turn, if FPS saving measures are allowed or implemented by thunk!

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06]
« Reply #1353 on: October 31, 2016, 03:18:22 am »

Breadbowl no attract migrants this season!

Thunk disappointed in new king's lack of commitment in restoring Breadbowl to glory!

The elves still have room on their animals! Thunk demands we give them as many useless clothes as they can carry to take away from Breadbowl forever!

An orphan made a weapon rack out of lizard bits to commemorate the Great Lizard Cull of 251! Thunk is humbled!

Though Thunk is slightly confused why the artifact details tales of elvish heroism and not tales of Thunk! Thunk feels uncomfortable with this! Thunk may have to confront Thunk's internalized racism!

Thunk's first minecart system is complete! Food and drink can now be carted from Food Cellar to Trade Depot!

Thunk does not have enough haulers to make the system work at the moment! Thunk is future-proofing Breadbowl for future glory! Future Breadbowl will thank Thunk! In the future!

Speaking of not-enough-haulers, Thunk should maybe consider designating at least a few before all the new food rots in the kitchen.

THUNK DID NOT CONSIDER THE POTENTIAL NEGATIVES OF PUTTING ALL DWARVES ON PRODUCTION TASKS!

Thunk installs hatches and doors leading to lower tunnels, then locks them! Thunk declares lower Breadbowl off limits from now on! Dwarves have no reason to go there and get lost anymore!

OOC: I'm gradually implementing FPS fixes, but so far nothing's really made a dent. Hovering at 13fps, with occasional spikes up to 18.

Thunk discovers source of annoying ambient noise that has been bothering Thunk for years! Thunk orders water reactor deactivation lever installed and pulled!

OOC: Screenshot missing - the reactor was disabled, but the water wheels were still producing power for some reason.

Oh no! Screw pump is shut off, but water reactor is still running and producing power! Reactor has gone critical! Breadbowl is seconds away from a complete meltdown, killing us all and causing untold ecological devastation when it releases millions of Urists of water into the environment!

EARTH! FIRE! WIND! WATER! THUNK! WITH THUNKS POWERS COMBINED, THUNK MUST SAVE THE PLANET! THUNK CHAAAARRRRGE!

[HACK]

[CRASH]

[BASH]

Quick thinking by Thunk prevented complete meltdown and saved citizens of Breadbowl! Thunk environmental hero now!

Thunk imagines Thunk is receiving adoring praise from citizens of Breadbowl behind Thunks back, because they're certainly not praising Thunk to Thunk's face.

Thunk very happy with what Thunk has achieved in spring! Thunk made another minecart track to bring green glass pots to the kitchen!

As summer arrives, Thunk is now focusing on refuse control! Thunk hopes to clean up Breadbowl before the smell of flesh rotting in the summer heat makes Thunk puke!

Thunk confident Thunk can achieve Thunk's goals efficiently so long as Thunk keeps a calm and level head and remembers not to do anything to generate new refuse!

THUNK WILL KILL YOU ALL AND FORNICATE WITH YOUR FACIAL ORIFICES!

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: October 31, 2016, 04:00:09 am »

OOC: Holy carp...

There are 138 of them all up, including ogres.

There are 13 of us, including rookies. 6 of us are legendary ('Kol', 'Gordak', 'Big Sibrek', 'Techno', 'Metalhead 183' and 'Thunk'), 5 are raw recruits, and the remaining 2 are somewhere in between.

We might actually lose this...

(Edit) We also have a backup squad of 5 useful civilian dwarves who happen to also have military skills. My plan is to put them on standby just behind the barracks in case things start to go badly for the main group of defenders.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 04:04:37 am by QuQuasar »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: October 31, 2016, 04:33:07 am »

Hm, 23 enemies to slaughter per legendary dwarf.....I think they might tire out and get skulls punched in if charging all of them. Fair few ways to deal with it, how are you going to handle this?

I personally would seal and install some minecart bouncers on the fly then lead the army into it, but I'm not as great a fan of military as Breadbowl fortress is (though it still has fair few passive and point defences), assuming I wouldn't nope out of the mess the long-term succession fort is :P

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: October 31, 2016, 04:36:49 am »

Amcestors help us...
... Ancestors help us all...
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: October 31, 2016, 05:00:12 am »

Oh wait I missed an update. *reads*

Yeah, that king sucks, but the old nets isn't in a great state. If the goblins would conquer us, perhaps they'd feed us instead? What's with them not needing to eat themselves.

A weapon rack? Okay. Stick it outside main gate perhaps.

Oh so those are minecarts. I thought they were keys or amulets. Nice to see it has gotten started - perhaps consider multiple stops so that thing is ever not loaded from more than 3 workshops away, but great improvements already.

Nice breadbowl air. The miasma, slightly more harmful than the hill of death's vapours. And here's more refuse.

Mm, bugged water wheels. Neat and fps-efficient, maybe? Dunno....I know that the sea boiling away is one of the fps drains of summer.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: October 31, 2016, 09:16:28 am »

KEEP EVERYONE BEHIND THE TRAPS IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: October 31, 2016, 09:46:27 am »

Are the walls/moats really that unsecured? 
Do we still have the 4 raising bridges, that splits their paths into manageable fights? 
Just need to slaughter 70 and the rest should run away. 
Ogres are just annoying with their cloth cloaks of deflection. 

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: October 31, 2016, 12:21:00 pm »

Post the combat log when you're the siege is done please, Quasar?
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: October 31, 2016, 01:48:49 pm »

I'm pretty sure we still have the raising bridges; they were in working order during my tenure, and I can't imagine any way they'd have been screwed up. But with the kind of labor shortage Breadbowl has, there's no guarantee that "pull lever" commands will be executed in time to keep us safe.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: October 31, 2016, 01:52:31 pm »

Back in my days, I created a burrow for Duke Gwolfski that included the levers, and pretty much had them pulled on demand until he went to get a drink, at which point, I assigned he nearest dwarf (Brassroast). 

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: November 01, 2016, 03:17:12 am »

Thunk gets drawbridges closed quickly to draw goblins to barracks!

Thunk will use tried and true Breadbowl strategy of luring goblins into barracks and hitting them with sharp and/or heavy pieces of metal until they are dead!

"THUNK IS READY! THUNK WILL DESTROY BREADBOWL'S ENEMIES!"

"... after Thunk takes a brief nap. Wake Thunk up when they get here."

"Wait, what? Now?"

"Actually, you know what? I need a drink. Hold the fort while I'm gone."

"Metalhead, no! You can't just..."

"Oh hey, that reminds me, I need a new sock. So, you know... brb."

"Oh come on Big Sibrek, you're the commander, you can't leave! Get back here you assholes! You absolute assholes!"

In the sudden silence, Rovod, Kol and Gordak stared at each other.

"... well crud."

OOC: So, first lesson I learned today: give the militia a Station order as soon as the goblins arrive. Do not let them continue training and expect them to still be there when you get back.

Cowardly pricks.

"Hey guys, need some backup slash goblin fodder?"

"Techno!" said Kol, obviously relieved, as the trainee squads captain entered the barracks ahead of several raw and nervous looking recruits. "Thank Armok."

"Hang on, where is everyone else?"

"They-"

"ROOOAAARR!" [SHING] *SPLACK!*

"- nevermind! That sounds like the door bell! Everyone hold position, they're coming in!"

[SHING] *SPLURK* [CRUNCH]

"Dammit, that sounds like another trap jammed. They're nearly through."

"Hold position, Rovod."

"But they're about going to get in! We should take the fight to them!"

"I SAID HOLD POSITION, RECRUIT OILYBUST!"

[awkward silence]

"Wait, your name is-"

"CHAARRRGE!"

"Shit! Alright, everyone in! Let's crack some skulls!"

OOC: Second lesson I learned: it's impossible to keep dwarves away from a fight. Nice try with the staggered trap corridor, whoever designed that, but once they see the first ogre all bets are off and all you can do is cross your fingers and charge.

Rovod Oilybust was the first to fall. She was a skilled axedwarf, but after she was lifted bodily and thrown into Kol by an ogre, she was easily prey to goblin lashes.

Next to fall were Goden and Rigoth, both raw recruits, and both seeing combat for the first time.

Seeing his companions falling left, right and center, the only rookie left on the field narrowed his eyes and dove into the fray.

OOC: Third lesson: don't let non-legendary dwarves do anything. They are delicate little flowers that cannot be trusted to survive a stiff wind, let alone a goblin siege.

"Ahahahahah! I love you guys! You're my best bro's!"

"Techno what are you... are you drunk?!"

"I feel so gooooood what noooo I'm not druuuunk I've only had a few."

"Dammit Techno, being drunk doesn't make you fight better!"

"Oh. Well... huh. I guess I stand corrected."

Techno, Kol, Feb and Gordak stand alone in a field of goblin bodies. Somewhere under the dead greenskins lie 3 dwarves, but the 4 living don't have time to grieve.

Feb: [pant] [pant] [pant] "Is... is that it? Is it over? Is the horror over?"

Kol: "Nope. On your feet, rookie, those were just the front runners. Now the real fight begins."

Feb: "Oh. Great. Well, okay then."

Gordak: "How many, do you think?"

Techno: "Not sure. They're bunched up, so it's hard to say. Around ninety... maybe a hundred."

Kol: "Well, I guess that means we outnumber them 1 to 25. Let's not keep them waiting, eh? You want to do the honors rookie?"

Feb: "Right." [deep breath] "CHAAAARRRRGGGE!"

Feb was the next to die, but not without taking more than a few goblins with him. The cruel beasts were not merciful to the poor kid. They made sure he died in pain.

Back inside, Dirk fell to her knee's, her stomach tightening in grief at the sound of a loud, long scream from outside the walls. It should not have been possible to distinguish her sons wails from the rest, but somehow she knew.

The battle raged on and on. Eventually, a legendary dwarf fell to the ground, but not from goblin weapons: Techno collapsed from overexertion.

Luckily for her, Kol and Gordak had control of the fight by this stage. Despite their tiredness, they managed to to push the fight away from their friend.

It took some time for Techno to rouse, by which stage the siege was dwindling and reinforcements were on the way in the form of Metalhead 183 and Tonnot.

But the hero's of the day weren't about to let some johnny-come-lately's muscle in on their glorious battle, however. Techno and Gordak fought hard to break the siege before anyone else could arrive, charging into the forest to hunt down the bowmen who had been taking potshots into the melee the entire time.

It was hardly a fair fight: even on the last ounce of their strength, either one of them was more than a match for 10 bowgoblins. Meanwhile, Kol put Kastoltegir through the last ogre.

Surprisingly, the fight never quite became a route. I have to give credit to the Hell of Emancipating goblins: they kept fighting to the last.

And then, finally, when the last goblin was dead...

"THUNK WELL RESTED AND READY TO DEFEND BREADBOWL! WHERE ARE GOBLINS? WHERE IS THUNKS AXE?! LET THUNK AT THEM!"

The hero's of the day all got rather significant titles for this days work, although Gordak already had his before the battle started:

Kill counts:

Techno (8 notable, 44 other),
Kol (6 notable, 93 other)
Gordak (18 notable, 78 other).

Thunk proud of fellow militia dwarves and also annoyed Thunk not get to thunk any goblins, but no time to rest! Thunk doesn't care what you did before, Thunk put everyone on cleanup duty!  Thunk sick of the smell of Breadbowl summers!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: November 01, 2016, 04:01:14 am »

*looks at Thunks bridging plans*

The fortress will lose it's warriors, won't it?

*looks at milita disobeying*

And like that, the forces have been cut in half.

Heh. Fighting on top of traps. You dodge, you die. You don't dodge, you also die.

...Oh boy they're all still clumped together.

Martial trances, the advantage of the outnumbered.

Not enough of a boost for raw recruit, though.

I take they didn't want to station back in?

Feb the wrestler? Wait, fighting unarmed? The poor dead fool.

And...That went well. No legendary dwarves died, after all!
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 105