Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 425760 times)

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06]
« Reply #1395 on: November 16, 2016, 02:35:40 am »

Overseer is making Thunk help!

Thunk has advice for overseer! Thunk had reduced production because there were not enough food haulers to move cooked food out of kitchens, and also because cooks are too inexperienced to keep up with planters! Thunk also noted that eggs were not being retrieved from nestboxes! Breadbowl's hauling routes are inefficient, but this was not a problem until now due to an excess of dwarfpower!

Thunk was also processing adamantine and making steel armour in hopes of attracting migrants to Breadbowl! Thunk is not sure if food counts towards created wealth because food is traded away!

Thunk is helping!

I'm looking at 3093 deceased units, I don't think migrants are possible.

Huh? I could have sworn that had been cleared when I checked it.

Alrighty then, run the DFHack clear-deceased command. Breadbowl won't be able to rebuild at all if we don't get migrants.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: November 16, 2016, 03:29:32 am »

Now, to canonize:

The Spirits of Quasar, Murky, Luneya, Bearskie, Taupe, Sanctume and all other notable (read "dwarfed") inhabitants of Breadbowl who had died, came together in the Hall of Spirits. All of them resting in peace, they were watching over their last home of their lives. They watched the rampage of Ongul, which took the lives of Viscount HMetal, Philosoverseer Luneya, Spearlord Taupe, Mace Lord Sanctume, Fortress Guard Captain Murky, among many dwarfs. SQMan and PsychoAngel watched over the Great Fire, which claimed the lives of Quasar and others.

Witnessing death and destruction in proportions outdoing the grimmest and bleakest legends, SQMan and PsychoAngel agreed to take their lives as Spirits. The dead from the Fire also agreed to do the same. The victims of Ongul decided to go along with this suicidal plan.

Being Dwarfs, they had their Ethereal pickaxes, with which they dug out the native metal of the Aether. A metalsmith made daggers for everyone from the Ethereal Forge. They would use them to slit their throats. And all of them did. Simultaneously.

But it failed. After the deed was done, nothing happened. Nothing at all. Accompanied with the dread of knowing that they would die, they all slit their throats at the same time, to no avail. So HMetal, an Administrator, went up to the Pantheon of the Gods. He asked them to destroy their souls. The Gods, including the God of Death, all looked at this Dwarf with utter disbelief. This request was never expected from anyone. They thought that the dwarfs would be content in staying in the Aether, watching over their live friends. So They asked "Why do you ask Us of this, dwarf?" He responded, "All remaining dwarfs of The Old Nets know of our deaths in the living world. Knowing the fact, they are scared to emigrate to the proud fortress of Breadbowl. The fortress needs more migrants to survive." "So you are telling Us to destroy your souls, so that your fortress, Breadbowl, can thrive? Has everyone from Breadbowl agreed to do this?", the Gods asked. "Yes, they have.", affirmed the Viscount.

"So it shall be."

A small purple orb over the Gods appeared. It started to grow. It swelled slowly, but it sent out sparks of lightning at random. Growing to the size of Ongul and the Dragon combined, it got darker. The center of the orb turned black, with the dark aura spreading to the rest of the orb. By this time, HMetal went back to his comrades and announced the Gods willingness to destroy their souls. They all cheered, and formed a tight circle, willing to sacrifice their souls. Even the children were willing. The Dark Orb finally came over them. They all stood frozen as the Orb arrived. They were ready.  It then sent out the biggest spark of lightning they would ever witness.

Now the scene freezes. Will it work? Will their Sacrifice be in vain? Or will the Sacrifice work?

I tried.
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: November 16, 2016, 05:46:05 am »

The disconnect between sincerely and hopefully trying and trying to erase yourself from the world...it's like something out of a guro story.

It is something, I suppose.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: November 16, 2016, 08:24:11 am »

Monthly Progress Report, Moonstone
With the month over and Mid-winter upon us I’ve drawn up a review of my goals and the results.

Increase food production: Success!
There have been some misgivings about this, after all we simply don’t have the robust infrastructure that made our former productivity feasible. To this I say “eh.” There’s no real difference between only being able to produce 100 units of food and only being able to move 100 units of food. Since it doesn’t matter where the bottleneck is we’ve ramped up food production and will allow our total and complete inability to handle it be the throttle on how much we actually end up exporting. Sure, crops may die on the vine for a while but our little infrastructure problem is mostly self-solving. Professional farmers are all at work farming or hauling food and everybody else is plant gathering and hauling as necessary.
We’re done processing plants, you can’t eat drink cloth, the experiments have been very conclusive on this. Rope reed becomes river spirits and spare seeds become breghd, which is part of a complete breakfast when eaten alongside a complete breakfast. Breghd and Tallow based food substitutes have helped us rapidly increase the rate of food production production while the increased planting efforts are yet to show returns.

Encourage Migration: Inconclusive
It turns out that we had not all resigned ourselves to die the last scions of a failed experiment, who knew? If tricking people into coming here again is considered valid let’s make the best hopeless effort we can.  At last accounting we have a little over 6.3 million urists in created wealth whether that’s going to be enough to outweigh almost certain death. Playing up our mineral wealth is probably the best way to go about it, silver trinkets are now an allowable use of the forges. I’ve also decided to kill two birds with one stone. Cannibalizing the fledgling war rhino project and cutting weapon and armor production has lead some dwarves to accuse me of not taking security seriously. Turning our current lackluster weapon trap gauntlet into a thing of horror that menaces with steel discs and silver spiked balls should make them more impressive to migrants and more deadly to invaders.

Increase Labor Efficiency: Success!
So I pulled the 12 year old Kel Tongsteach aside and told him he was no longer an orphan. That was bad phrasing because his parents are still dead. After he finished crying I explained that he was now Minister of Sanitation, the only dwarf on the fortress allowed to clean or touch refuse. This should increase efficiency somewhat. Now there are obvious downsides to this including the piles of waste and filth that will build up as a despondent and infinitely frustrated orphan tries to clean up after an entire city. Precious skins will be lost, left to rot unprocessed, to this I say “eh.” You can’t eat leather. To save on labor we’ll just import cheap leather as we need it presumably benefiting from the gross excesses of some fortress where they skin animals and throw away the meat.
Some more benign changes include stockpiling brewable plants AND pots next to the subterranean brewery. We’re getting a lot done in a little time.

Month start
Created Wealth 6,361,370
Edible Food 3,877
Drinks 689

Created Wealth 6,485,959 ^ 124,589
Edible Food 5,051 ^1,174
930 drinks ^241

Now, to canonize:

The Spirits of Quasar, Murky, Luneya, Bearskie, Taupe, Sanctume and all other notable (read "dwarfed") inhabitants of Breadbowl who had died, came together in the Hall of Spirits. All of them resting in peace, they were watching over their last home of their lives. They watched the rampage of Ongul, which took the lives of Viscount HMetal, Philosoverseer Luneya, Spearlord Taupe, Mace Lord Sanctume, Fortress Guard Captain Murky, among many dwarfs. SQMan and PsychoAngel watched over the Great Fire, which claimed the lives of Quasar and others.

Witnessing death and destruction in proportions outdoing the grimmest and bleakest legends, SQMan and PsychoAngel agreed to take their lives as Spirits. The dead from the Fire also agreed to do the same. The victims of Ongul decided to go along with this suicidal plan.

Being Dwarfs, they had their Ethereal pickaxes, with which they dug out the native metal of the Aether. A metalsmith made daggers for everyone from the Ethereal Forge. They would use them to slit their throats. And all of them did. Simultaneously.

But it failed. After the deed was done, nothing happened. Nothing at all. Accompanied with the dread of knowing that they would die, they all slit their throats at the same time, to no avail. So HMetal, an Administrator, went up to the Pantheon of the Gods. He asked them to destroy their souls. The Gods, including the God of Death, all looked at this Dwarf with utter disbelief. This request was never expected from anyone. They thought that the dwarfs would be content in staying in the Aether, watching over their live friends. So They asked "Why do you ask Us of this, dwarf?" He responded, "All remaining dwarfs of The Old Nets know of our deaths in the living world. Knowing the fact, they are scared to emigrate to the proud fortress of Breadbowl. The fortress needs more migrants to survive." "So you are telling Us to destroy your souls, so that your fortress, Breadbowl, can thrive? Has everyone from Breadbowl agreed to do this?", the Gods asked. "Yes, they have.", affirmed the Viscount.

"So it shall be."

A small purple orb over the Gods appeared. It started to grow. It swelled slowly, but it sent out sparks of lightning at random. Growing to the size of Ongul and the Dragon combined, it got darker. The center of the orb turned black, with the dark aura spreading to the rest of the orb. By this time, HMetal went back to his comrades and announced the Gods willingness to destroy their souls. They all cheered, and formed a tight circle, willing to sacrifice their souls. Even the children were willing. The Dark Orb finally came over them. They all stood frozen as the Orb arrived. They were ready.  It then sent out the biggest spark of lightning they would ever witness.

Now the scene freezes. Will it work? Will their Sacrifice be in vain? Or will the Sacrifice work?

I tried.

Noble but the command only purges "uninteresting" units so our death list still memorializes 260 units including all our dead. As long as we stay under 1000 it shouldn't throttle back the migrants.

I know I said there would be pics but I can't upload anything to imgur.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: November 16, 2016, 09:59:03 am »

/ooc
So do edible food go directly to trade depot bypassing barrels and pots via minecart?

I was just wondering on biscuit (2 item) vs roasts (4 items).  Both is still 1 job, and the quantity of each item stack are just added to the total number of the end product, biscuits
  • or roasts

I think barrels still have 30 max stacks; and large pots can have 45 in practice even when it supposed to be able to hold 60?

p.s. You did not mention dyes, I also wonder if farm plots still planting dyes, like Sliver Barbs iirc?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: November 16, 2016, 10:15:14 am »

/ooc
So do edible food go directly to trade depot bypassing barrels and pots via minecart?

I was just wondering on biscuit (2 item) vs roasts (4 items).  Both is still 1 job, and the quantity of each item stack are just added to the total number of the end product, biscuits
  • or roasts

I think barrels still have 30 max stacks; and large pots can have 45 in practice even when it supposed to be able to hold 60?

p.s. You did not mention dyes, I also wonder if farm plots still planting dyes, like Sliver Barbs iirc?
Looks like the minecart is just pushing prepared meals and drinks, may reorganize it to take edible unprepared food if it becomes necessary.

I only mentioned biscuits so I wouldn't have to list eight ingredients.

The farm slots that were producing silverbarb have been switched over to crops, our pretty colors must be burned at the altar of productivity. 

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: November 16, 2016, 01:48:59 pm »

- I wholeheartedly agree that cooking should be limited as isn't food production.
- If you're serious about breghd you should make the seed cap ridiculously high in order to further boost food production
- Did I get re-dorfed as Vutak boulderwelled?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: November 16, 2016, 09:28:02 pm »

Semimonthly Review
So I stopped paying attention about halfway through Opal and then before I knew what happened it was Granite. This is a normal lapse of memory that any czar might face and not an adverse reaction to Breghd.  Rather than a traditional report here’s some stuff that happened:

Stuff grew up/was born

Two new workers and some new animals. The pythons hatched against my expectations, it turns out they're born as adults which is crazy. Also, kittens! I think this is where our war animal breeding efforts should be focused. Tigers reach their maximum size in two years and sexual maturity in three. They also don’t eat grass so pasture space is no big deal. We could build a whole tiger army before those old rhinos are still wandering about being all adorable.

Okay so it seems like there was a paperwork screw up somewhere and a deceased dwarf had a slab engraved in their honor but it was never built. After lying around unmemorialized for two years Dobar filed a complaint in the correct fashion, by rising from the dead and pledging to harass random dwarves until the slab was picked up and placed on the ground in an aesthetically pleasing location. I ordered another two year old slab to be built before more complaints arose

“Backup Armorer” Lor Fenceallies was picking fingerlimes when she climbed up into the tree and pulled up her stepladder. When interviewed she only said that she missed her family and refused to climb back down. I ordered the tree chopped down and she went back to work. We’ve successfully picked the areas inside the walls clean so our edible food stocks are going  to increase slowly for a while.
Looking at some numbers we have twice as much inedible Rye, Maize, Rice, and Barley as we do edible crops. I’m cutting the growth of those crops and expanding milling to produce as much flour as possible as quickly as possible. To facilitate that I have forbidden the touching of dimple cup, blade weed, and silver barb by any Breadbowl dwarf.  With the amount of flour producing crops we have it appears that Bread may actually become cheaper and more available than Breghd. The crab and plump helmet men we've locked up in a corner pasture are still stubbornly refusing to taste good.

Created Wealth 6,665,183 ^ 179,224
Edible Food 5,718 ^ 667
Drinks 1,430  ^ 741

Oh, it technically didn’t occur in the months under review but:

Probably gonna have to do something about that.

Vutok Boulderdwelled is still Vutok Boulderdwelled, what should I change that to?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:31:31 pm by Broseph Stalin »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: November 17, 2016, 09:02:24 am »

I nicknamed him Vutok so you'd know he was your dwarf. Sort of like I did with Kol.

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: November 17, 2016, 12:28:24 pm »

Vutok Boulderdwelled is still Vutok Boulderdwelled, what should I change that to?

Originally I said Vutak but TF52's suggestion is better.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: November 17, 2016, 02:02:47 pm »

"butt ok" sounds better than "butt ache"

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: November 17, 2016, 05:13:24 pm »

Quasar, if you're reading this, add that to the quotable quotes section.
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: November 17, 2016, 06:48:46 pm »

Quasar, if you're reading this, add that to the quotable quotes section.
Nah.

Sphinct of the precedent that would set: if I quote one butt joke, I'll have to quote all of them. Before long this thread would be completely rectum, anal consuming black hole of potty humour and godawful puns.

Arse long ass I am in charge of this thread, I will see the backside of such suggestions.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: November 18, 2016, 01:29:20 am »

- Infrastructure being "self-solving".

Heh. Nooo, I wouldn't say that. It's like going "roads will build itself, no need to worry about it" when you are the state :P

- Crafting for need fulfilment...that's a pain >_>

- We have too much leather?

Oh well.

The thing about the skins: you'll need to haul them nevertheless, either to refuse stockpile and then atomsmasher or to leatherworking shop and then atomsmash. So not much of a gain.

- Are there any fishers? We do have an ocean, and it's two-step process just like farming (get up to (6? highest I've seen)

-Yay for workforce.

-Rye, maize, rice and barley...Brew them, then cook! Extra step, yes, but since it

-Flour, however, doesn't get multiplied iirc, so that's bad (though good for wealth generation)

@Sanctume: Yeah, roast is 1 job, but it is not that much more efficient, since just as many hauling jobs needed.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: November 18, 2016, 05:10:15 am »

Actually, hang on, that leather... it is edible! Remember my trade with the elves? It included a number of "[animal] parchment roasts".

Conclusion: you can turn our leather into parchment and then cook it into roasts! Proast would fit in quite well with Breghd and and Pood.

Looks like the process is a bit complicated, but obviously we had the industry working under a previous overseer. Bravo that player, whoever it was.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 05:15:52 am by QuQuasar »
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 105