Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421637 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06]
« Reply #1425 on: November 26, 2016, 02:52:23 pm »

Seasonal Review Spring
Probably best to start with the siege.

As far as invading armies go it wasn’t that impressive. Around 20 in all ,3 goblins with crossbows and a bowelf leading the charge. A little over half of them aren’t even armed. Two blundered into cleverly placed cage traps right away.
Thinking quickly I belayed the order to shut the fortress and ordered the militia to meet the enemy inside the eastern gate

Two more stumbled into the traps that block off the eastern drawridge, four got inside the gates and with the drawbridge about to slam shut they were separated from the others. That part of the plan worked but the milita had yet to arrive so our ambush was actually just leaving unattended bait.

Givesnofuck, a dwarf noted for his phlegmatic nature in response to adversity witnessed the perimeter breach and a charging goblin spearman casually walked around the corner of a building leading the invader into yet another well placed trap. 

When sibrek came running one of the remaining three had the good sense to bolt. The unarmed goblin ran into the pastures hoping to hide. The others probably wished they had. Sibrek was a real terror, batting away incoming mace blow and hacking the goblin to ribbons.

The goblin’s head went flying off and probably scared the hell out of the unarmed goblin who ran.

Sibrek really got in the zone around the time Thunk showed up with a war dogand at that point it just wasn’t fair. The gate finally closed at this point but just before it did a single iron bolt pierced the dogs heart, it died biting at goblin ankles.

With 7 captures and 4 kills the goblin force was weakened, they had no choice but to follow the moat north to try and scale the bridge.

2 wrestlers and 2 axegoblins under the command of Ngsulu Sinfulsculpted
And 5 wrestlers under the elf Amxu Terrorgrowls As they marched the elf’s group got out ahead and sensing an advantage I opened the eastern gate again and sent the militia to chase them. The all goblin squad was slaughtered, their blood forming puddles in the moat.
The elf realized he was beat and lead his group in a hasty retreat. One of the rookie axedwarves, Shorast Boltveiled didn’t quite block a Warhammer and got his right arm broken for the effort. Luckily Thunk was there, he split the goblin’s head right down the middle before it could do any more damage. I ordered them to leave him there and chase down the remain invaders, I want no reports getting back to their leaders about our defenses.

With a force of five unarmed goblins to support him the Elf fled into the forest. He turned once to shoot a an arrow back at our troops, Thunk, Big Sibrek, Metalhead, and Techno were all standing in a line, they dodged it one after the other and that seemed to be enough to discourage him from trying again. It didn’t matter, they caught up with him and did what they do best.

With that settled the season went smoothly.
Operation “Let God Sort them Out” is going swimmingly, we’re producing a steady stream of egg, flour, and seed based prepared meals  The stream is so steady that our unsteady labor can’t manage it and some of it’s rotting producing horrible miasma, it’s fine our numbers are still trending upward.
The elves showed up to trade. In a feat of genius, determination, and sheer dwarvenity we managed to get all of our stock to the depot. We traded 0 ANYTHING because they stood around insisting they had more to unpack, I waited for them night and day until finally they left without a word. Is this some sort of elf joke? I’m glad elves aren’t dwarves because if they were then we would suck.

20 in all, with a 36% increase in hauling operation Let God Sort Them Out is going to become much more productive. We hadn’t quite cleaned up the siege and one of them, Led Metalabbey was horrified to discover that there was still an arm in a pile of goblin armor. Baby.
We’re well into refurbishing the weapon traps, the serrated steel blades and silver balls
To improve morale I and present the new migrants with symbols of our legitimacy I ordered the tower floored. I also ordered a small art project to recognize my contributions to Breadbowl and cement my status as czar for life.

It was so effective that I started another art project to put an identical K in my office.

It only looks larger because of the way the light is hitting it and reflecting back into your eyes to create an accurate image. It’s totally necessary and only used bismuth bronze which was languishing in the stockpiles. Basically it would have been less efficient to NOT make a giant K in my office.

Created Wealth 7,068,540 ^ 403,357
Edible Food 6659 ^ 941
Drinks 2225 ^ 795

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: November 26, 2016, 03:19:13 pm »

Who's thr drill seargeant again? Big Sibrek?
My dorf's finest moment was when he killed Ongul.
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: November 26, 2016, 05:09:58 pm »

Who's thr drill seargeant again? Big Sibrek?
My dorf's finest moment was when he killed Ongul.
Techno is the drill sergeant.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: November 26, 2016, 05:59:27 pm »

Big Sibrek was commander last time I checked.

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: November 28, 2016, 03:08:46 pm »

I’m glad elves aren’t dwarves because if they were then we would suck.
Truly the words of an inspired poet.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: November 29, 2016, 07:59:12 pm »

- Luck!

- Ranged enemies, huh?Not so good in diagonal corridors.

- Every dwarf in Breadbowl should have some military training, so that they're strong and agile and capable of eviscrating random unarmed goblins.

And more importantly, capable of making and moving food twice as fast.

Poor doggie.

Showoff military, though.

- Ow, unloading bug. Nice migration, tho.

- How do ks relate to Broseph Stalin?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: December 02, 2016, 12:23:14 pm »

I'm dwarfed as Kadol Abletoltot so the K is for Kadol.

I'm halfway through summer. I'm also about halfway through exams right now but I have a little bit of breathing room and if worse comes to worse I'm done with them on tuesday.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: December 09, 2016, 11:34:55 pm »

Summer Review
SCOOL has shown no progress. The plump helmet men, Gorlak, and Crab Men, all taste like they have souls. Pood is seeming more and more like an unnecessary and unreasonable project.
The usefulness of Breghd has diminished as well, since we are inundated with flour. Breadmaking is the big food producer right now.

Then there was the monkey business… A gray langur troop infiltrated the fortress. It seems they overcame our cage traps by being substantially more numerous than our cage traps. They did a little damage, some animal bitings, some laborer bitings, some general bitings but nobody died and nothing was stolen so… okay I guess?

The humans came and were thankfully much less elfy than the elves. That’s not to say the process wasn’t without it’s problems, the plant sorting system is completely inadequate. I had to personally inspect the plant barrels to ensure that only ones filled with edible crops were given to the traders. Keeping the count right got to be a real pain.

The trap corridor is 50% through it’s beefing up, there’s more than enough trap parts to finish the job and our wealth is drawing in plenty of migrants so I ordered the end to trap component construction. With the warm summer season there’s plenty to harvest and plant stores ought to shoot up again.

Some trouble with the breeding program, a few elk birds starved to death sitting on their eggs. I guess they don’t breed well in captivity. Shame, but on a brighter note the python breeding is going explosively well. Apparently they’re born fertile? That’s SO productive!

All things considered, my numbers aren’t great. I’ve forced a lot of changes, a new farming paradigm, new work schedules, new large metallic K’s, attempted cannibalism, an orphan now hauls all trash etc. My reign is starting to wind down now, one more season to make a splash and convince everyone that Czar Kadol is the greatest leader Breadbowl has ever had.

Traded 2,456 Drinks
Traded 5,894 Food

Created Wealth  7,776,080
1,904 Drinks
3,278 Food

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: December 10, 2016, 04:33:16 am »

- Well, you really need reanimation for SCOOL, I think.

- As for the plants, once there's no more brewable-only plants the trade should be greatly simplified. Sure, the palate suffes, but....

Though in terms of amount of output, nothing trumps plump helmets, with their three harvests per season, ability to be brewed for x5, and that brew cooked.

- Huh, never considered the advantages of being born as adult.

Still have to wait to slaughter them and there's still the 50 animal cap, but can get by with much smaller breeding stock. Effectively squares their amount of litter.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: December 18, 2016, 04:12:43 am »

Autumn Seasonal Report
The season itself was uneventful, we’re wrapping up the trap overhaul and trading with the dwarven caravan went smoothly. And now it’s over. Tomorrow is the first of moonstone and the one year anniversary since I took up the reigns and title of Czar of Breadbowl.  I started with a three step plan: new foods, cutting waste, and more effective resource use.

Breghd was a moderate success, waste seeds were pressed into edible* cakes and given to the mountain home where they are being fed to people who can’t defend themselves. Pood was an abject failure, people just don’t taste good. This morning I assembled the SCOOL, took stock of our research, and disbanded it. All while dressed like a bear, insistently dancing, and talking only with my mouth in a bucket of water. My hope is that if anyone says they were part of a secret commission on ear aches and cannibalism until a dancing dwarf dressed like a bear and talking into a water bucket fired them then nobody will believe them.

Part 2 was a success. More tigers and less rhinos means less wasted pasture space. By cutting our focus on unnecessary products I’ve increased our food capacity and it’s shown. Without all those extra industries weighing us down we’ve produced more food than ever before.

Phase 3 was a major success. Our farms have been cranking out food, our mills have been running non stop, and it took to long to matter but we have the pots and crops to start churning out drink. Breeding elk birds isn’t possible without more research but eggs are becoming massive, our pythons alone are egg-laying machines. The seeds for future greatness have been sown.
I added in a later goal of increasing fortress wealth and population which both went off without a hitch. We have more wealth and the resources to outfit a more advanced trap system. This in turn attracted more dwarves, bringing us to 93 population, a good step on the path to feeding the mountainhomes.

It hasn’t been as spectacular as I’d hoped, maybe there’s something more to productivity than slashing everything and cannibalism? I don’t know, I’m going to bed.

Population: 93
Created Wealth: 8,655,785
Traded 1,904: Drinks
Traded 3,278: Food

Total Population Increase: 38
Total Created Wealth Increase: 2,294,315
Total Traded Drinks: 4,360
Total Traded Food: 9,112

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12618

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: December 18, 2016, 04:41:54 pm »

Sounds like reasonably good turn. Lot of food, and decent drinks.

It sounds like that disbanding while dancing dressed like a bear and speaking into bucket would be a reason to oust the insane overseer. Really, they're clearly no longer fit to rule, even if they were a great man that led breadbowl along new research developments.

I hope the next overseer can outdo the productivity without outdoing the insanity.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: December 26, 2016, 05:14:19 am »

Wow, a whole lotta stuff happened in the 6 months since I last checked these forums. Glad to see this thing is still going!
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1437 on: December 26, 2016, 05:24:18 am »

Part of me is tempted to take another turn, but I'm really not sure the fortress could survive it ...
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: December 26, 2016, 02:58:52 pm »

Well, are there any overseers pending, actually? No mentions since Broseph Stalin...Which should have been enough for signs of life.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: December 26, 2016, 03:09:05 pm »

Taptap is pending. Someone should send him a PM
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 105