Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 426113 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #195 on: September 28, 2015, 05:10:02 pm »

I'm interested, but never played any succession type before. 
I've read the gist of the objective: trade prepared meals, and drinks, and no below ground farms. 
I'll miss the quarry bush and rock nuts, but I can handle that.
And, as I mentioned, I've not dealt with high-pop above ground and the first thing I looked for was the magma forge.

I will have time after work to look at whichever latest save file is available.  Just let know. :)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2015, 09:59:02 pm »

You'll do fine with 160 dwarves ;). Just pick a grand megaproject, and they'll have their hands full for the rest of the year. This ain't Bonepillar or anything, so the worst that could happen in a screw-up is chronic inefficiency (or even more flooding).

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2015, 10:01:24 pm »

I did a perusal and made some notes from the last posted save, even though I'm not officially on yet. 
I just wanted to study the set up.

The most important note I would say is that the constructed floors by the Mason's shop above Cavern 1 may be in danger of "trees growing up onto construction" that would generate an df.exe not responding crash.

1st Granite, 240, Early Spring
City Imarust, “Breadbowl”
Spoiler: Pantry (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Farm Plots (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Structures (click to show/hide)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2015, 02:34:41 am »

I request to be redworfed as a mechanic and duke immediately!
Also, move me down the turnlist.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 29, 2015, 03:33:42 am »

Holy crap, it's late.

So I played some more... the unpause lead to a siege, and a strange mood for a metalsmith's forge using steel bar.
The retracting bridge worked, but the 4/7 to 6/7 water is swimming time to some goblins, so there was some fight inside the walls.

I took some screen shots, and some notes, and it's only the 13th of granite and the mood is just starting the mysterious creation.  Going to bed.

p.s. Let me know if this will be an official play.  I'm cool with it being just my own test run and not count.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 03:37:30 am by Sanctume »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2015, 03:35:55 am »

I request to be redworfed as a mechanic and duke immediately!
Also, move me down the turnlist.

Here's the info from the latest save.
Spoiler: Gwolfski (click to show/hide)

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2015, 05:44:12 am »

p.s. Let me know if this will be an official play.  I'm cool with it being just my own test run and not count.

It's all a bit up in the air at the moment, so try not to get your hopes up. Depends on the schedules of Hiddenleafguy and Taupe.

That said, you're on the turnlist.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #202 on: September 29, 2015, 10:41:07 am »

fancy me as the law-giver for this settlement.
doesn't respect a society that has settled into harmony without debate and strife, does not respect the law and views loyalty unfavorably.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 29, 2015, 11:07:04 am »

It's all a bit up in the air at the moment, so try not to get your hopes up. Depends on the schedules of Hiddenleafguy and Taupe.

That said, you're on the turnlist.

That's cool, thanks.

If it happens then I'm ahead somewhat if the next batch of 3 goblins swim across. 
But the last battle report  I had when I saved, a hunter was outside the wall on the north-east area, despite the civilian alert activated.

Anyway, I was thinking for a mini project is to establish glass making on the patches of sand available inside. 
Chop some of the trees near the inner walls for fuel.
Then of course make the green glass floor / ceiling, and make the above-ground farm plots below so the goal of making food continues even when there's a siege going.

I'll re-read the previous posts and see come common theme/style on how I would narrate the events.

p.s. My recent activity in the DF Community Games is Minecart Barons
It's not a succession game, but it was fun because I get to play the last save and come up with a design plan on where the next fortress embark can be.

Breadbowl, has a more permanent outcome being a succession game, which I've never participated before. :)

edit: typos, etc.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:14:34 am by Sanctume »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2015, 11:22:58 am »

Rules
* Enclosed crops (aboveground crops underneath some sort of roof) are allowed, on one condition: the roof must be made of clear glass. This is likely to be a worthwhile investment despite the cost of clear glass, as it's quite possible an ill-timed siege could starve you out.

Doh, clear glass is different from green glass, scratch that mini project idea.

Maybe I'll build a seige tower that is 5z high of circuitous path, with a raising bridge access to the inner walls.

B this siege tower is only supported by a support. So once the bridge is raised, the support is also exploded causing the siege tower to collapse along with all the goblins and trolls to are in it.

It will be pancaked.  Can we make prepared meals out of pancake?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 29, 2015, 06:58:25 pm »

Clear glass is a fun industry. It uses only renewable materials, (1 sand, 1 wood, 2 fuel = 1 clear glass), but the production chain is complicated, requiring 4 seperate workshops and labours, as well as item hauling for the sandbags.

Wood => Wood Furnace => Ash

Ash => Ashery => Potash

Potash + Fuel => Kiln => Pearlash

Sand bag + Pearlash + Fuel => Glassmakers shop => Clear Glass

[The goblins] will be pancaked.  Can we make prepared meals out of pancake?
"I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

I do not like green eggs and ham."

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 30, 2015, 02:42:26 pm »

I loaded my unofficial save last night, but did not save the progress. 

I failed to rescue the lone hunter who got punched to death by a goblin recruit.
I did not want to risk dropping the bridges and let in the 6 troll + 40 goblin siege. 
Of those, I killed only 2 goblins and 1 troll who swam across. 

The metalsmith forge strange mood made a steel chest, talk about a let down, lol.

As I studied the layout, I was able to fit 2 Glass Furnace, 1 Kiln, and 1 Ashery on the 3rd floor above the Wood Burner.
There's a nice sand tile just outside this building too. 
Tested manager job queue for 30 sand, Ash, Potash, Pearlash, and Clear Glass seemed to work ok. 

Then I listed and sorted the plants into:

There can be 2 farm plots that are 5x3 on a north/south configuration.  With 1 tile space between. 
This means 14 sets of these farm plots across will fit nicely. And room to setup a stockpile distribution for efficient output.
Perfect for the 2x 5x3 farm plots each of the brewable and cookable plants.  And 1 each 5x3 for the dye.

FPS dropped around 20 to 50, so it wasn't bad. 

I made a "Outside Path" burrow and it works to wall the south-west portion since the siege are stuck on the north-west.
I mean, the crops are starting to wilt waiting for the siege to leave, so keep them working within the walls.

Anyway, I started wondering if I can shoot catapults over walls, then went to bed.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 30, 2015, 09:32:33 pm »

No, right now siege weapons can only stay on one level. You can shoot through fortifications but that's all.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 01, 2015, 12:34:56 pm »

Added Disclaimer: This story is not part of the official Breadbowl story line, but can "fit" since there are plenty of undorfed citizens. It's geared towards Kitchen Stories.

As stories goes, names have been changed to protect the innocent in Breadbowl...
I
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Only the names of the innocents...
II
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 01:58:51 pm by Sanctume »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 01, 2015, 03:59:54 pm »

(parallel universe)

I think I finally found a method for swim training I'm happy with. It's not automatic, but it's really fast (5 days to Novice, another 6 to Adequate) and easy to implement, and nobody drowns horribly.

(Edit) Spoke too soon. I opened the drainage bridge and everyone was washed into the well. Two babies, an adult, and Lord Brassroast drowned, and another baby had it's foot cut off by someone's silver battle axe in the chaos. So yeah. Don't do that in your designs..
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:43:14 pm by QuQuasar »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 105