Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 424657 times)

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #240 on: October 05, 2015, 04:23:25 am »

Damn it Kubuk. There's always one that's gotta be a hero, isn't there?

Now offering 5:1 odds on Kubuk's survival. All betting in imaginary internet points. Any takers?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 05, 2015, 04:25:34 am »

This be some XCOM-level strategy going on here.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 05, 2015, 09:15:54 am »

This be some XCOM-level strategy going on here.

You got me!  My 1500+ hours in xcom is maybe only half as much of my DF play time.  And since XCOM2 is delayed, more time for DF.

The sword forms is a cheesy take of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.  It's a nice tool to enhance descriptions of fights.  There's a website that lists them, so I chose what sounds like it can fit.  I did not take the time to research if my chosen form matches the action.

Ohh, there's betting.  I haven't been back to Las Vegas.  It would be a good betting pool, or forum poll?

Although I posted a question something about, "what is the death rate?"  It does not mean, there was death in the Breadbowl side, does it?
or does it?

Suggested Poll ending on Friday perhaps? I left will be taking off work early Friday, so I will have time to finish writing my siege notes.
Any casualty in Breadbowl's Spring Siege of 240?
a. Zero.
b. The Shafts of Fortifying
c. The Earthen Assaults
d. Neighborhood Watch
e. Civilian
g. Military Selection of b, c, or d
f. Buffet Selection of b, c, d, or e

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:17:40 am by Sanctume »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 05, 2015, 12:20:37 pm »

I updated the concise version of the Dramatis Personae

Now is a good time to get Dwarfed or Re-Dwarf before I post the next siege results.

No one died as of yet of my posting, so any of you dear readers are welcome to place your bets and pick a Dwarf of Breadbowl!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 05, 2015, 12:47:51 pm »

Really loving the siege updates. Thats some great details and strategy.Keep em coming!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 05, 2015, 02:10:12 pm »

Really loving the siege updates. Thats some great details and strategy.Keep em coming!

Great to hear.  I finished the draft for Chapter 10 and 11.  Going to wait until tonight.  I hope Quasar puts the poll.  This is going to be fun (note the lack of !)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 05, 2015, 08:44:59 pm »

Honestly, considering your profile pic looks suspiciously like George RR Martin, I'll have to say that nobody is safe.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 05, 2015, 09:34:33 pm »

Honestly, considering your profile pic looks suspiciously like George RR Martin, I'll have to say that nobody is safe.

Wow, I did not see that resemblance.  I crop that profile pick from a Snow White and the Seven Dwarves image. That's Happy right there, honest! :)

p.s. I updated Chapter 9, adding Siege Unit Report spoiler list at the end for easier summary tracking rather than update the goblin dramatis personae. I hope it works out better.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 05, 2015, 11:23:33 pm »

Chapter 10 (Goblin Assault, 2nd Squad)

Goblin Assault, 2nd Squad
  • ‘Osta’ - Osta Ngoslunarar, Goblin Pikeman
  • ‘Amxy’ - Amxy Osousbu, Goblin Maceman
  • ‘Snang’ - Snang Ngasmauksos, Goblin Pikeman

Osta climbs out of the moat, silver pike forward and runs toward Kubuk.

Kubuk shifted focus on Osta and ducks below the pike, shield bashes the left foot and punching the left calf that result in bruises.

Amxy and Snang emerges from the moat, now flanking Kubuk.

Amxy prepares a silver flail swing on Kubuk’s head.

Kubuk right uppercuts Osta in the mouth, knocking teeth and retarding Amxy’s aim.

Kubuk shifted position as Amxy misses.

Kubuk suddenly body checks Osta against Amxy knocking them both over.  As Osta stood up, Kubuk’s new shiny iron boots engraved with “swoosh” kicks onto Osta’s cheek making gore out of her tongue.

Kubuk regains hold of her iron short sword and continues to punish Osta, “Ribbon in the Air” slashes on the left quads, a punch on the right foot, then a slash on the right calf.

Osta lost all her troll fur socks and shoes, “This leaves me shaken.”

--

Most of Earthen disregard Taupe’s command and join the battle, thinning the reserves.

Angus jumps down from the unfinished fortifications of the CLG and reveals her arrival with her bismuth bronze battle axe slicing off Osta’s left hand, "the glove is now off, literally."

Captain Vortex runs up dodging a silver arrow from Az and continues west.

Vortex engages Amxy with a stunning haymaker in the head despite the copper helm. 

Amxy’s wild mace strike is deftly parried by Vortex with her iron battle axe.  Vortex countered with check hook to the gut.  Amxy looks sick and vomits.

Giving no quarter, Vortex charges Amxy knocking her backwards closer to the moat and strikes the upper lip with the pommel of the iron battle axe.  Amxy’s upper lip is mangled beyond recognition.

--

Snang’s iron pike dangerously engages both Kubuk and Angus, but misses.

Angus kept her focus on Osta with a hack on the left lower arm above the already missing left hand, and then chops into the right upper leg lodging the axe firmly on the wound.

Kubuk rolls away from Snang and closes in on Osta, “Low Wind Rising” slashes the right upper arm, tearing apart muscle, opening artery and severing motor nerve.  The iron sword lodged firmly in the wound as Osta drops the silver pike.

Kubuk pulls on the embedded iron short sword and slashes the lower body, spilling Osta’s guts.

--

Vortex disarms the silver flail off Amxy and scratching the left hand.

Vortex charged Amxy again knocking her back closer now to the moat.

As Amxy teeter from the moat’s edge, Vortex executes a two-handed lumberjack swing as if felling a tree aimed at Amxy’s lower body.

Amxu gives into pain as her pancreas tore apart.

--

Snang, still unhurt continues to attack both Kubuk and Angus, and strikes again at Angus but is blocked. 

Kubuk stabs the left foot cutting off a toe.  Angus cuts off Snang’s left hand, and another glove is off.  Angus next cut off the left foot, along with troll fur sock and rat leather shoe.

Kubuk slashes the lower front teeth and Snang falls over.  Kubuk jumps and slams his right boot on Snang’s left upper leg, jamming the bone through the left hip and shattering the left hips bone.  BRUTALITY !!

ooc: 10/06 Changed Mosus-Angus
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:33:01 pm by Sanctume »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 05, 2015, 11:42:08 pm »

''Armokdamnit, people, we've been drilling the defence of this settlement for three years now, how can you not follow basic instructions? Captain Vortex, deal with this skirmish and return the Earthens to their position!''

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 06, 2015, 12:59:50 am »

Could I be dwarfed as Pyro the Furnace Operator?

Why does a farming community have a Furnace Operator, you ask?

GOOD QUESTION.

I might take a turn if real life doesn't decide that all available time for DF must be destroyed by any and all methods at its disposal... again.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 06, 2015, 01:14:34 am »

Could I be dwarfed as Pyro the Furnace Operator?

Why does a farming community have a Furnace Operator, you ask?

GOOD QUESTION.

I might take a turn if real life doesn't decide that all available time for DF must be destroyed by any and all methods at its disposal... again.

Oddom Regmorul, "Oddom Glovepages", Furnace Operator is now
'Pyro' Regmorul, "'Pyro' Glovepages", Furnace Operator.

I updated only the Dramatis Personae while it's still fresh in my mind.

We're allowed to dig for metals.  We are only mandated to "not" plant underground plants nor gather them and make meals and drink out of them.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 06, 2015, 01:41:43 am »

Breadbowl Ch. 11 (Dance of Dragons)

Goblin Assault, 1st Squad
  • ‘Bosa’ - Bosa Musnguslu, Goblin Crossbowman (vs Kubuk, bashed left lower leg)
  • ‘Nako’ - Nako Urarrosp, Goblin Spearman (vs Kubuk, right foot gone)
  • ‘Az’ - Azstrog Uslotsnamoz, Goblin Bowman (shooting, uninjured)
  • ‘Kuts’ - Stasosts Kutsmobnokast, Goblin Crossbowman (vs Kubuk, kidney slashed)
Goblin Assault, 2nd Squad
  • ‘Snang’ - Snang Ngasmauksos, Goblin Pikeman (vs Kubuk and Angus, shattered left hips bone)
  • ‘Stabby’ Stasost Bosaomo, Goblin Pikeman
Troll Shock Troop, 1st Pack
  • ‘Zolak’ - Zolak, Troll Pack Leader
  • ‘Dos’ - Dosntgosp, Troll
  • ‘Nom’ - Ngom, Troll
  • ‘Uslu’ - Ngnuslu, Troll
  • ‘Stro’ - Strodno, Troll
  • ‘Ogg’ - Olngo, Troll

Earlier that week before the siege of Breadbowl.

Zolak is the pack leader of the shock troop travelling eastward, and north of the raiding parties.
Zolak demonstrates “charge” upon a herd of wild boars who scatter throughout the forest edge.
Dos, Nom, Uslu, Stro and Ogg are about to follow Zolak when the horn blows indicating that the fortress is in sight.  The march turns southeast and the pace speeds up, and they follow.

Zolak charges a wild bunny next but it is fast and disappears in a hole. 
Zolak grew hungry and drank water from the nearby murky moat. 
Zolak wades in the moat when he hears the horn blow.

--

Present time at West Bridge.

Most of the Goblin Assault, 1st Squad is out of the immediate danger, but not yet dead.

Commander Taupe arrives and stabs Kuts in the head with her iron spear, tearing the brain through the copper helm.

Taupe bellows, ''Armokdamnit, people, we've been drilling the defence of this settlement for three years now, how can you not follow basic instructions? Captain Vortex, deal with this skirmish and return the Earthens to their position!''

Olon of Earthen hacks Bosa in the head with the iron battle axe but the iron helm deflects it.

Fairybrow hacks Bosa in the head with his iron battle axe but the attack is deflected by the iron helm.

Vortex moves to Nako and hacks the head with her iron battle axe.
Vortex continues to hacks Nako in the head with her iron battle axe, causing some bruising or deflected by the iron copper helm.

Tekkud stabs Az in the left foot with her bronze spear, shattering the ankle bone and lodging the spear firmly in the wound. Az falls over and gives in to pain.

Angus hacks Snang in the head with the iron battle axe but the iron helm deflects it.

Taupe feels like pulling his beard off from the frustrating cacophony of metal hitting metal helm to the tune of “hi-hi, hi-ho...”

Taupe bellows louder, ''Come on people, clear this area fast and step back from the moat and line of fire.  Those bolts and arrow can be lucky and poke yer eyes, or worse!''

--
As if summoned by the Commander’s bellows, Stabby emerges from the moat, silver pike gleaming.
Stabby is a large broad shouldered goblin.  It is rumored that he is fathered by a troll.
Stabby declares, “Stabby here. Stabby claims this all!”
Stabby charges Vortex knocking her backwards.
Stabby then charges Taupe knocking him backwards too.
Stabby proudly declares, “Zolak teach Stabby ‘charge!’”

Stabby strikes at Vortex but the shot was blocked.  Vortex counters with a hack on the left foot tearing the left ankle and the iron battle axe lodged in the wound.

Stabby falls over and stabs Vortex in the right hand, but the iron gauntlet deflected the silver pike. 

Taupe gives Stabby “a demonstration of stab” with his iron spear piercing the left leg, fracturing the bone.

--

Sanctume runs hard from the hall making sure the lever pulling fiasco is stopped.  Upon reaching the west bridge, Alaknikot, The Ace of Actions, a silver mace feels warm and glows dimly because Blood is power.

The phenomenon “Defender of the Ancients and Dance of Dragons” begins as the silver mace bashes Stabby in the tongue.  Alaknikot tasted blood and it feels hot and glows brighter.
The tongue bashing hits true for it caves in the left cheeks and follows through pulping Stabby’s brain within the skull.  FIRST BLOOD !!

Our macedwarf, dragon dancer extra-ordinaire, leaps between Olon and Fairybrow, and delivers Bosa a crushing blow to the side of his head, iron helm sails in an arc.  Olon swings from the left, and Fairybrow from the right; their iron battle axes met at the base of Bosa’s neck.  Metal sparks and a head rolls.  KILLING SPREE !! ( DOUBLE KILL !! )

The graceful movement continues with pirouette to Vortex. They performed shadow synchronize movements where Sanctume’s silver mace cracks open the copper helm and followed by Vortex’s iron battle axe through the crack and splitting Nako’s skull in two.  DOMINATING !! ( TRIPLE KILL !! )

Tekkud’s spear lodges in Az’s iron helm.  Sanctume floats near and bows. Tekkud curtseys. Sanctume taps the silver mace on Tekkud’s spear that punctures through the Az’s iron helm and tears the brain.  MEGA KILL !! ( ULTRA KILL !! )

Angus is still doing the “hi-ho” beat on Snang’s iron helm when Sanctume glides near and in one fluid motion, batted away the front guard of the iron helm.  Angus chops down with her iron battle axe cutting through nose, jaw, skull and neck.  UNSTOPPABLE !! ( RAMPAGE !! )

WICKED SICK !!

BREADBOWL TEAM, DOMINATING!

ooc: 10/06 Update change Mosus->Angus
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:40:52 am by Sanctume »

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 06, 2015, 01:54:05 am »

Journal of "Pyro"

They found me.

After these past few years, I thought I was safe. I built a new life here in Breadbowl, became a member of the Neighborhood Watch and have had three children so far.

And now the news has reached even this far: I, formerly Oddom, was renamed "Pyro" long ago by the unanimous vote of my surviving kin after I accidentally burned down an entire fortress.

One time! It was one time! So what if I got a little too drunk that day? It happens! Now, the part where I decided that the dragon of legend was a pansy with no true appreciation of the beautiful tapestry of an object aflame - that may have been going a little too far.

But if the sheriff hadn't tried to stab me with an =iron spear=, I wouldn't have had to throw that torch at him! It's not my fault that he chose to confront me in the booze stockpile!

Everyone has heard the story. Even my own husband - "hey, Pyro, have you seen the children?" "Pyro, dear, why are you shaking? You just dropped your crossbow, are you alright?" That's all anyone will call me now. Whenever I ask them to please just call me Oddom - you know, like they did yesterday - they don't appear to consciously hear me.

Well... to be honest, Breadbowl is only mostly made of wood now. Part of it would probably survive if I were to open up my private stash of *persimmon wine* and try to forget that this day ever happened. Right?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 06, 2015, 03:00:07 am »

Attention, humble working dwarves of Imarust, "Breadbowl"! The Guild of Clothiers and the Guild of Leatherworkers have joined forces to present to you the definitive guide to fashion in the scorching hellhole that is our home.

Caps are in, hoods are out!

Spears are observed to accentuate and prove you comfortable in your dwarfidity by being long and pointy and honestly kind of elvish!

And the timeless "Gemclod" look is very popular right now. Who says women are the only ones who can look pretty in dresses? Not us!

So, without further ado, we present:

What are you wearing!
Episode 1 (of 1)

Neblime: our carpenter is fashionably attired in an elegant silk dress and pig tail fiber cap. Wields an exceptional =Iron Spear= & one of her own masterwork shields.

Duke Gwolfski: the Duke in Rags look is apparently "in" this season. Wearing a worn x(pig tail fiber dress)x, a wonderful hemp coat and a wool cap, and wielding naught but a wooden training axe (and oddly enough no shield), he looks more a humble peasant girl than a Duke of the Realm. Truly a noble show of solidarity with the oppressed working class from the most powerful dwarf in the western hemisphere!

Lord Brassroast: it can be hard to make out her shape beneath a pig leather robe over a pig tail fiber dress, but as a mason, she spends much of her time in the cool dark underground, so her outfit is highly practical. Like everyone else, a cap perched jauntily on her head completes the ensemble. Wields an exceptional =Iron Spear=.

Aristotle: The philosopher shows a predilection for foreign dress, wearing an elven ramie-plant robe encircled with bands of pine and olive wood. The pig tail fiber cap goes without saying, of course. He wields the popular iron spear and shield combo.

Tonnot: Showing a preference for the ostentatious over the comfortable, Tonnot wears a very fashionable silk robe over a worn x(pig tail fiber dress)x. It would surely be more comfortable to wear those the other way around, but sometimes you just have to show off! Again, the pointy iron stick wins out over other weapons.

Quasar: In a fashionable if somewhat worn x(silk robe)x and a very fashionable silk cap, she splits from the populist opinion on weaponry with a large =iron battle axe= strapped to her back, and makes quite an imposing figure of authority.

Hiddenleafguy: our manager prefers the humble "little bo peep" look, with a simply cut Llama wool dress, and wool socks, shoes, cap and gloves. He wields an =iron spear=.

Bearskie: the head planter wears a fashionable silk robe and, preferring pragmatism to fashion, covers his head in shadow with a pig leather hood that keeps him from being sunburned as he toils in the heat of the day. =Iron Spear= again.

May: our bookkeeper apparently likes to feel attractive on the inside, wearing a very fashionable matching silk tunic-and-trouser suit underneath a shapeless hare leather robe. For weaponry, she outfits herself as the mayor does, wielding an exceptional =iron battle axe=.

Pyro: Doubling up on clothes is Tonnot's wife Pyro, with both leopard leather cap & pig leather hood, alpaca wool trousers & cave fish leather leggings, and not one but *two* enormous leather robes made from aardvark and leopard hides! One wonders why any woman would need so many layers of fireproof clothing, but she is a furnace operator afterall! We're certain she's merely being cautious. She wields an exceptional =copper crossbow=.

Vortex: Poorly dressed in a worn x(pig tail fiber dress)x and x(llama wool cap)x, but it matters little under an iron mail shirt and steel greaves. Her exceptional =iron battle axe= and shield ensure none will bother her too much about her fashion choices. Except us! Because we care, dear friends. Because we care.

Taupe: our militia captain wears a silk dress under a Llama wool robe as padding under steel plate armour. He lacks a helm, entrusting his facial safety to superior training: an elven wood cap decorated with mahogany and encircled with coffee and rubber wood perches upon his head. Naturally, he wields a =iron spear= and wood shield (and is probably the one who started the fashion).

SQman: Looking larger than life in an -elk bird leather robe- over a wool dress, with a llama wool cap on top, and wielding a steel crossbow and shield, His Majesty's Ace Hunter cuts a fine figure.

Sanctume: well outfitted in a simple guineafowl leather dress, Sanctume's odd armour doesn't at first quite have the same style as the other members of the militia. With copper shirt, steel leggings and mismatched bronze-and-copper gauntlets, it's almost like somebody has given him the leftovers of the armoury. That is, until you see the finest of engravings on the links of his masterwork copper mail shirt, and catch a glimpst of Alaknikot, the legendary artifact silver mace strapped to his back.

Psychoangel: Just because he's been dead for 2 years is no reason not to criticise the Grande Soapers fashion choices! It turns out the pool where he drowned is remarkably clear, so we can see he is dressed in a chicken leather dress, pig tail fiber robe and silk cap. A well chosen combination to make the most of a slim frame, which is perhaps for the best now that he is a partial skeleton at the bottom of a rock pool.

Thank you for reading! We now return to serving you, our ungrateful, miserable "friends", manufacturing you the latest in wonderfully fashionable new clothing that you kobolds couldn't tell apart from a Armok-damned barrel with suspenders.

Yours,
The Guilds of Clothiers and Leatherworkers
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 03:22:08 am by QuQuasar »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 105