Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421634 times)

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends
« on: August 13, 2015, 09:39:58 pm »

Breadbowl

King Sibrek Logemtad has eaten one plump helmet roast too many and decided that the dwarven kingdom needs better food. His highness, being both merciful and pragmatic, summoned 7 dwarfs whose skills were of minimal use to a fully equipped mountain home. He then justly sentenced them to hammering for being useless and cluttering up the palace with their bodies.

However, in a truly magnamonous display of kindness, he granted these unrepentant layabouts a reprieve on the condition that they embark to a fertile location and start growing, gathering and farming every type of food imaginable. Understandably, being fond of their natural head shape, the 7 agreed.

As they left, the king confided in them that should they succeed, and the king find his larders stocked with much delicious rare food, they would not find him ungrateful...

This started out as a simple 2-week 1-year succession fort with a goal: export as much quantity and variety of food and drink as possible.

It has since become the ongoing saga of a peaceful (by dwarven standards) farming settlement, thriving unexpectedly on the surface in a world beset by war, beasts and tragedy. But nothing lasts forever, and Breadbowl has more enemies than most...

Rules

* Trade all your food and drink to every caravan. The elves and humans are considered couriers delivering to the Mountainhome. After every trade, you should have no prepared food or drink left.
 - (Obvious exception: you can't trade wooden barrels to elves)

* No buying food from the caravan. You'll need to produce your food, not buy it.

* Underground crops are not allowed.
 - Enclosed crops (aboveground crops underneath some sort of roof) are allowed, on one condition: the roof must be made of clear glass. This is likely to be a worthwhile investment despite the cost of clear glass, as it's quite possible an ill-timed siege could starve you out.

* Report how much food you trade each time. I'll keep a running tally in this post.
- For plot purposes, our goal is to feed every dwarf of The Old Nets, consisting of ~3570 dwarves.
 - Per the wiki, each dwarf consumes 2 food, 4 drink per season. Therefore our Ultimate Production Goal is a bit shy of 30,000 food, 60,000 drink per year. (values subject to revision if The Old Nets population changes)

The trading process
After some 'sperimentation, this is the easiest way I've found to trade everything required and get an accurate count on how much you exported:

First off, move everything to the depot before you even attempt to trade. This includes:

* Everything in the drinks page. Say goodbye to your boozepile.
* There is no food page, so do a search for both "roast", and "prepared food", and trade everything under both searches. I've you make any biscuits or meals, trade those too.

Once everything is moved, visit the stocks screen to calculate your output. It will be as follows:

This definately worked for my original trade (I double checked against the main stocks screen for drink and the numbers in the trade depot for food), but if any future trades prove it in error, I'll update this methodology.

Finally, perform the trade itself. Trade everything in one hit. Don't worry about getting a good price: you won't need it. Stacks of roasts are very expensive anyway, and with the sheer number we'll be trading they'll give us anything we ask for and still leave suffering paroxysms of ecstasy.

Don't get too greedy though, lest the game suffer fps death from all the useless stuff they bring us.

More general rules
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Goals

* feed every dwarf of The Old Nets.

* farms for every type of above-ground crop.

* separate pastures for every type of animal we have (more than one of) on the site
- (Exception: we can have a 'misc' pasture for animals we only have one of, but try not to mix the giant predator's with the adorable grazers)

* breeding programs for as many different types of meats as possible, with special emphasis on rare, non-domestic varieties. Do good by the elves: you'll want them to bring as many animals as possible.

* cover as much surface area as possible with farms, pastures, roads and buildings.

For dorfing or a turn, ask and ye shall recieve.

TURN LIST

Quasar - Year 1 - A Farm Founded
 Traded - 125 food, 324 drink - Dwarven Caravan

Neblime - Year 2 - A Thief Killed, A Beast Hidden
 Traded - 770 food, 1593 drink, ☼170917 - Total
Milestone reached: 1000 booze!

Bearskie - Year 3 - A Moat Dug, A Baron Named
Traded - 710 food, 3596 drink, ☼125503 - Total
Milestone reached: 3000 booze!

41 food, 46 drinks, ☼4577  - Elven Caravan
471 food, 2711 drink, ☼42301 - Human Caravan
198 food, 839 drink, ☼78625 - Dwarven Caravan

SQman - Year 4 - A Wall Built, A Silver Mace Bestowed
Traded - 2688 food, 1151 drink, ☼197729  - Total
Milestone reached: 2000 food!

580 food, 745 drinks  - Elven Caravan
0 food, 0 drink - Human Caravan - Drowned
2108 food, 406 drink - Dwarven Caravan

Sanctume - Year 5 - A War Begun, A Farm Defended
Traded - 4391 food, 2303 drink - Total
Milestone reached: 4000 food!

2656 food, 673 drinks  - Elven Caravan
1009 food, 1156 drink - Human Caravan
726 food, 474 drink - Dwarven Caravan

Dolwin - Year 6 - A Barracks Constructed, A Hamster Named
Traded - 8486 food, 6948 drink - Total
Milestones reached: 8000 food!, 6000 booze!

110 food, 4925 drinks  - Elven Caravan
0 food, 0 drink - Human Caravan - Turned away by Goblins
8376 food, 2023 drink - Dwarven Caravan

ToniK - Year 7 - A Bear Gained, A Manager Lost
Traded - 4988 food, 3039 drinks - Total

2125 food, 1663 drinks  - Elven Caravan
1467 food, 336 drinks - Human Caravan
1396 food, 1040 drinks - Dwarven Caravan

Zuglarkun - Year 8 - A Capitol Named, A Crime Outrage Atrocity Revealed
Traded - 8120 food, 7088 drinks - Total
Milestones reached: 7000 booze!

2382 food, 0 drinks  - Elven Caravan
2430 food, 779 drinks - Human Caravan
3308 food, 6309 drinks - Dwarven Caravan

DDDragoni - Year 9 - An Ex-overseer Punished
Traded - 924 food, 12539 drinks - Total
Milestones reached: 12000 booze!

166 food; 2,344 drinks - Elven Caravan
758 food; 10,195 drinks - Human Caravan
0 food, 0 drink - Dwarven Caravan - Fell in Moat

NCommander - Year 10 - A Farm Burned
Traded - 0 food, 0booze, plenty death and fire - Total
Milestones reached: Fortress incinerated!

0 food; 0 drinks - Elven Caravan - Dragon
0 food; 0 drinks - Human Caravan - Werebeasts
0 food, 0 drink - Dwarven Caravan - Loyalty cascade

Gwolfski - Year 11 - Ghost Murder
Traded - unrecorded food, unrecorded booze - Total

TheFlame52 - Year 12 - Complete
Traded - 114 food, 9542drinks - Total

unrecorded food; unrecorded drinks - Elven Caravan
unrecorded food; 5756 drinks - Human Caravan
114  food, 3786  drink - Dwarven Caravan

Migrant - Year 13 - Half Year
Traded - unrecorded food, 5593drinks - Total

unrecorded food; unrecorded drinks - Elven Caravan
unrecorded food; 5593 drinks - Human Caravan

Luneya - Year 13.5 & Year 14 - Complete
Traded - 7342 food, 5459drinks - Total
Milestones reached: Fortress population halved!

1418 food, 0 drink - Dwarven Caravan
5924 food; 5459 drinks - Elven Caravan
0 food; 0 drinks - Human Caravan - Turned away by goblins
0 food, 0 drink - Dwarven Caravan - Ran away before trade could be completed

TheFlame52 - Year 15 - Complete
Traded - unrecorded food, unrecorded drinks - Total

Quasar - Year 16 - THUNK!
Traded - 4077 food, 14,668 drinks - Total
Milestones reached: 14000 booze!

2725 food; 1199 drinks - Elven Caravan
1151 food; 12,995 drinks - Human Caravan
201 food, 474 drink - Dwarven Caravan

Broseph Stalin - Complete
Traded - 9,112 food, 4,360 drinks - Total
Milestone reached: 9000 food!

0 food; 0 drinks - Elven Caravan - Caravan left without trading
5,894 food; 2,456 drinks - Human Caravan
3,278 food, 1,904 drink - Dwarven Caravan

Bearskie - Partial Turn

... sadly, no records exist beyond this point. We do not know what became of the reign of Overseer Murphy as all on-site records were destroyed in The End Of Breadbowl, which took place within the next year.

Quasar - The End Of Breadbowl
Milestones reached: The End

Breadbowls Last Stand

DWARF LIST

You may be redorfed after death, but you'll need to come up with a new name.  No resurrections, body-hopping or suspiciously similar distant cousins please.

Quotable Quotes

Moved a few posts down because of character limit...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:43:17 pm by QuQuasar »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbasket: a Succession Farm
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:14:25 pm »

ooh I like this idea, actually having a goal of producing stuff!
dorf and turn me please

may I also make the suggestion that we record what we export each year (if thats not too onerous)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:21:03 pm by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:26:54 pm »

Ooh, me too.  Dorf and a turn as well please.

As for embark sites, perhaps look for maximum biome diversity, so we can increase the variety of animals we catch.  War status and proximity with the goblins is said to help with sieges (not the usual minor skirmish status).  Maybe you could also bump up the semi-megabeast count to attract werebeasts and the like.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:08:23 am by Bearskie »

PsychoAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • My silliness is our saving grace.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 10:41:12 pm »

Dorf me! I will make the finest soaps this farming colony has ever seen! I also will help with planting and/or brewing, whichever we need more. Just remember that we'll also need a lyemaker to go with my Grand Soaping. Change my profession title to "Le Grand Soaper" if you will.

As for an embark, all we need is plenty of soil, wide open space, and plenty of wood. A jungle would be just fine. Just make sure we have a lake or river nearby. As for sieges, I'm not too sure as to how to change how many occur. I know for a fact that they WILL start, at least in small mini-raids, as your wealth increases. You might be able to change that in the advanced world settings. As for other factors, I'll have to take a look around.

Can't wait to see this become the new capitol and house the queen or something. Hilarious.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:46:09 pm by PsychoAngel »
Our forward thinking overseer at the time devised a way in which werebeasts can live in peace with other dwarves by utilizing the mysterious magical properties of soap!

Quote from: PsychoAngel on January 19, 2016
Don't worry. I've got extremely volatile exploding fish.
My friends and I say a lot of fun things to each other.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 12:38:39 am »

Quotable Quotes

may I also make the suggestion that we record what we export each year (if thats not too onerous)

I like that idea. It means we can set a goal for Breadbasket to meet: let's say... 3000 units of food and 6000 units of booze per year. (I think that's around 100/200 barrels of each)

We should be able to measure it easily enough by subtracting what we've got on the stocks screen after trading from what we had before. The overseer just needs to remember to take a screenshot before trading.

I admit this sounds pretty tedious compared to simply counting the barrels as we trade them, but it would hold up better later once we're producing a couple hundred barrels each season, and allow us to factor in any unbarrelled food we trade.

Dorf me! I will make the finest soaps this farming colony has ever seen!

Well... soap's a food, right? I mean, it's made from tallow.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:21:36 pm by QuQuasar »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 03:22:47 am »

I think I found a good embark site:

3 biomes providing a variety of wildlife, a rainforest for more wood than we could possibly use, an aquifer for fresh water, a coastline whose rocky shore extends below the aquifer (both keeping the aquifer fresh and allowing us access to below), all neighbors except a Tower and best of all: nice, fertile soil for farming. It's the perfect place!

Now, I know what you're thinking! "Should I be worried that it says "The Hill of Death" over there?" But I can assure you, reports of the Hill's Death have been greatly exaggerated. The truth is, it's deathness is not even that death-like! It's more like the hill of deep sleep. And who doesn't enjoy a good sleep now and again?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 03:37:07 am »

I'm not worried.  I'm just mildly terrified at the possibility of reanimating undead sperm whales.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 05:01:52 am »

i wanna go + dwarf make me in charge of architecture and mechanics and animal training pls.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 10:17:28 am »

Oh, that sounds nice. I'm in. I'll take any soldier you get.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:36:11 am by Taupe »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 05:38:27 pm »

Embark begins! We are 'The Farms of Hammers' (it's short for 'The Farmers of Not Being Hammered') and we have embarked to Imarust, "Breadbowl".

I brought very little food and drink (we'll be producing more than we can eat very shortly) a load of animals, all the different types of garden vegetables, leather for bags, bronze for Taupe (who will be making his own weapons and armour), a copper warhammer to remind ourselves of why we're here, and a few lumps of cobaltite. Not that we'll need it, because we can just dig over in the...

... oh no...

I didn't.

I diiiid.

WELL THIS IS OFF TO A GREAT START.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 05:49:45 pm »

... dwarf me as the- never mind, the spots are all taken.
... you forgot the pick.
... what.
... seriously, what?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 07:22:15 pm »

End of Spring.

So far, nothing important has happened. A Giant Moth and Giant Horseshoe Crab passed through, but I didn't bother them so they didn't bother me. And then an entire herd of wild cavy's appeared. D'aaw. And then Giant Grey Parrot's and a Monitor Lizard. I am loving the wildlife here.

Taupe made his own bronze armour and declared himself The Shafts of Fortifying, and May made cave fish leather armour for everyone else. May also trained up the dogs into war dogs, and I assigned one of them to each of us.

No signs of whatever The Hill Of Death does. The place seems pretty normal so far. If it weren't for the glumprongs, you'd never know it was an evil biome.

In terms of highest usable skill at the moment, these are the tasks everyone seems to have fallen into:

* Neblime: female, Carpenter
* Gwolfski: male, Woodcutter
* May: female, Bookkeeper
* Psychoangel: male, Brewer
* Bearskie: male, Planter
* Taupe: male, Militia Commander
* Quasar: female, Cook

Crops being grown:

Maize, Potato, Prickle berries, Rice, Rye, Sweet Potato, Whip vines
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 07:45:39 pm by QuQuasar »

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 08:05:58 pm »

Dorf me as the first noble that arrives!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 08:11:03 pm »

Soooo I guess we seriously need to produce food and trade it now if we ever want to expand. It's not like we can actually dig or anything.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 08:27:41 pm »

A Coati came after May, our bookkeeper. It fared poorly against a trained wardog, and May found an opening to aid her friend, delivering a punch to the head that was surprisingly savage for a dwarf so timid and weak.

We butchered it promptly. The first meat in Breadbowl!

... tastes pretty much the same as dog.

Migrants!

A farmer with skill in tanning and milling. He now our dedicated butcher, and I've had him take over milling. I've been doing it myself until now, and my arms were getting tired.
A planter, who will join Bearskie in the fields asap.
A spinner and a pump operator, who are both pretty much completely useless. They will help build the village until I can provide better tasks for them.
They also bring with them a yak calf, a keet, and a puppy.

End of Summer

Summer draws to a close, and it is a relief to say the least to be out of the tropical summer sun. And we're out of it in more ways than one: the dining hall is roofed off!

I have also begun construction on apartment blocks to house our farmers: once the caravan arrives and provides us a pick, we can expand them with live-in cellars, aquifer notwithstanding.

Oh, and Taupe has a dedicated Barracks to train in now, and has forgone actual productive work in favor of "Training". I suspect he's just looking for ways to avoid work, the moocher, but it does not do to question the guy wearing full bronze armour and a spear.

FallacyofUrist, still want to be dwarfed? We've got a few spares now. Hiddenleafguy, we're still waiting on Nobles.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:57:21 pm by QuQuasar »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 105