Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 424478 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 08:59:32 pm »

Oh yes a barrack! Say, was that bronze armor simply crafted at an anvil, or was it the product of a strange mood?

We probably want to floor the buildings before adding some roofing, to avoid trees and such crashing things up...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:02:20 pm by Taupe »

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 09:06:46 pm »

I can wait for a noble, until then, listen to music. (Actually was listening to this when I read the new update.)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 09:49:38 pm »

We probably want to floor the buildings before adding some roofing, to avoid trees and such crashing things up...

Since we're a farm-themed fortress, we could always just fallow the floor area into farm plots if we're looking for a shortcut.  Still prevents trees from growing.

I like the way this is going.  Above-ground fortress?  Woo-yeah :D

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 10:06:48 pm »

Since we're a farm-themed fortress, we could always just fallow the floor area into farm plots if we're looking for a shortcut.  Still prevents trees from growing.

I like the way this is going.  Above-ground fortress?  Woo-yeah :D
True but somehow I think putting farm plots between every single dorm bed is a bit extreme and ugly.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 10:31:23 pm »

So it turns out we've got a king, not a queen. Far be it for me to question the monarch's gender identity, so I'm editing all the previous posts.

The caravan is here to take the products of three seasons of work back to King Sibrek, and hopefully to bring us some much needed goods, including, more importantly than anything, a pick.

Before I could deal with that, however, I had a meeting with the liason. Fath is a tall woman with incredible muscles. At first I feared her for a hammerer, but she proved a reasonable dwarf and indeed seemed far more concerned about our plight out here than the King ever did. Together we worked out an agreement on what the caravan should bring next year.

I ordered weapons, armour, and additional animals and growable vegetables. Additionally, believing myself quite the cunning merchant, I suggested the use of raw metal ores could be useful in the storing of produce. Fath pointed out that I didn't need to lie to her: we both knew I was only interested in getting cheap metal for arms and armour, but she would enter raw ore into the books on my behalf nonetheless.

I must admit, I quite like our liason.

After that was finished with, it was time to trade away our hard-earned produce. Let's hope the King doesn't notice that all the roasts we're sending him have been sitting out in the weather in an outdoor stockpile for several months...

I went over our first output carefully. Our drink production had been impressive, providing a large quantity of a variety of drinks, but sadly we were informed it wasn't worth much back in the mountainhome.

The merchants seemed far more interested in our fresh food, however. We provided them with a full wagon worth of Lesser Yams, Maize, Rye and Whip Vine flour, Peahen Eggs and Peppers. We even gave them some of the leftover Coati meat for the trip back.

Note:I was wrong about the stocks screen. When you move it to the trade depot, food disappears from "Other". Future overseers be aware: you'll need to use the above strategy with the stocks screen ('z', 'stocks') to calculate it.

Another Note: If you can't trade all of it for whatever reason, the above strategy can still be used: you'll just have to subtract the 'after trade' values from the 'before trade' values.

All in all, we had 125 units of food and 324 of drink to give them. I can only hope that will be enough to satisfy the King for now. We have a long way to go to reach our productivity goal of 3000 food and 6000 drink, but this is progress. Surely his majesty can see that.

Oh god we're all going to get hammered.

By Armok did these merchants ever see us coming.

You asshole's couldn't have brought anything cheaper? Like, I dunno... copper?!

No... no I suppose not.

Welp, we need those picks. Guess we're splurging. Whoever takes up mining here in breadbowl is getting really good equipment
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:54:04 pm by QuQuasar »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 10:52:10 pm »

After that was finished with, it was time to trade away our hard-earned produce. Let's hope the King doesn't notice that all the roasts we're sending him have been sitting out in the weather in an outdoor stockpile for several months...
Ain't nothing that can't be covered by fine enough mincing and one's one weight in dwarven syrup.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 12:22:44 am »

Well, after everything, we actually got a pretty good deal for a new outpost. They still got the best of it by a long way, but we gained quite a few new weapons and bits of armour, a Water Buffalo bull and Llama, cloth, leather, a few cut gems, and a few other bits 'n bobs.

And, of course, the most important thing...

Armok be praised! STRIKE THE EARTH!

4 new migrants!

* A Hunter, male, who immediately lived up to his profession and took down a wild boar for us. Married to...
* a Glazer, female. We could possibly build a kiln and start making clay equipment: we certainly have the wood for it.
* a Brewer, male. Why not, we can always use a backup in case anything happens to Psychoangel. That's... that's a terrible thing to say.
* a Tanner, female. Slightly more experienced than Kadol, I've once again moved the butchering duties about.

Still no sign of evil from The Hill Of Death. Perhaps the expedition organizer was not lying when they said the reports had been greatly overexaggerated. It must be one of the tamest lands of evil in this world. Perhaps it's evil has bled away with time, leaving nothing left but old rumours and superstition.

Either that or it's horrifyingly lethal effects are all long term.

That's neat: it looks like Onul, our hunter, took down two wild boar sow's. Meat for the mountainhome!

I wonder what Onul is hunting now?

NOPE.

No more hunting.

No more meat for anybody ever.

In fact, just stay in your homes and don't come out until it goes away.

WHAT DID I JUST TELL YOU IDIOTS?!

Holy shit Neblime, are you okay?

"Relax, I'm fine."

It bit you!

"Don't worry, it's just a bruise. She only tapped me. She's just playing!"

No. No I'm pretty sure that was it trying to kill you.

"Whose a good giant terrifying snake? You are, yes you are."

Dammit, I'm sorry to do this. Taupe? Kill it. And try not to die.

"Awww..."

Wow that thing has a surprising turn of speed for what is basically a tube with teeth...

... but over short distances, nothing outruns a dwarf.

Except another dwarf. Gwolfski, you weren't even supposed to chase the snake, but when the guy wearing full bronze armour can outrun you...maybe consider an exercise regime or something?.

Urgh. Bug people.

Autumn draws to a close, and winter comes to entomb us.

Or it would, if it wasn't *really bloody hot all the time*. But at least it'll be cooler during the winter months.

While we were digging the wells, we discovered a way below the aquifer directly beneath the main hall. So... that's convenient. Better yet, we've struck bitumous coal and limonite! Now if we can just find some flux, we should be all set.

The apartments are complete, and can comfortably house 20 dwarves. We'll need a lot more in the future, but for now it's sufficient.

We've built a metal forging shop to the east. Nothing there yet, but there will be soon enough...

We've built a large palisade for the grazing animal's benefit. It won't keep out a determined enemy, and should probably be subdivided into separate pens for each species of animal in the future, but it's a foundation on which to build...

I sent Taupe to take care of a Giant Tick that was scaring dwarves in the western part of the village. Medtob the Tanner was already pummelling it by the time he reached it, and although the speardwarf got a few good stabs in, the Kill went to Medtob when she punched it in the brain. I'm not entirely sure what happened to the beast after that, and I'm not going to ask. Given that Medtob does double duty as our butcher, I have a sneaking suspicion the King is going to be enjoying some rather... exotic... dishes soon enough.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 02:38:40 am by QuQuasar »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 01:53:35 am »

Wow, I actually stabbed the snake through both eyes and twisted until the brain poured out? My dwarf is a baller.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2015, 02:52:19 am »

AAAARGH! We're under attack!

THE BUG PEOPLE ARE COMING! THE BUG PEOPLE ARE...

... kinda sad, really. I mean, you'd think it'd defend itself or something. I kinda feel sorry for-

OH GOD!

THERE'S BUG BLOOD ON THE DINING TABLE!

UUUAARRGH!

Thief! Protect the hoard from- pfffhahahahahah "hoard". Haaaah. Heh. Poor kobold was probably just hungry. Taupe, see if you can run it down.

[five minutes later] ... no luck? No worries, I didn't really expect you to to catch it.

Whoops.

Alright, not a problem. Just wall it off for now. We'll come back later.

Thief!

Meh. Not even worth going outside to check. They always run away anyway. I'm sure it's no big deal...

AAAAAARGH!

THE BUG PEOPLE ARE COMING! THE BUG PEOPLE ARE- Kobolds are a type of bug, right?

Oh, he ran away. Nevermind then. Back to work.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 03:40:55 am by QuQuasar »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2015, 03:20:22 am »

OH GOD!

THERE'S BUG BLOOD ON THE DINING TABLE!

UUUAARRGH!

Hearing Quasar's shouting, Bearskie hurriedly pops his head into the dining room with a hungry expression.  "Cor! Is there bug meat on the table too? Hadn't had one of those since 67, when me good ol' dad stabbed a whole giant mosquito for us and skewered it over the fire."

"Course," he sniffed through the cloud of nostalgia, "We did all ended up puking our guts out the next day. Beautiful."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 08:41:42 am by Bearskie »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 04:36:05 am »

just trade the caravan for some metal trinkets and melt them down. sometimes its cheapoer than  a pick. sometimes not tho. however, if the caravan brings and ore, get it, cos it will be cheaper.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 05:58:39 am »

Goddamn it Medtob.

Did you really just fall 3 stories from the roof to the lower cellar of the food storage area? Straight through our still and everything?

Idiot. I guess now you'll get to see our new hospital up close...

... wait. Does anyone here do doctoring?

Aw crud. Okay, well, whose our butcher?

Dammit Medtob. YOU ANGERED THE INSECT GODS WHEN YOU KILLED THAT TICK. THIS IS YOUR FAULT.

Oi, May! You do leatherworking, right? That's *kinda* like being a clothier, and sewing is like, 90% of medicine.

Close enough! Get in there. You're our new chief medical dwarf.

So wait... you're telling me the Still severely damaged her liver?

Is that irony? I think that's irony.

Oh well. Surgery. You up for it May? 'course you are.

Well, that's that. After three days in the cellars beneath the dining hall, and some rather bloodcurdling screams, both Medtob and May come out of the hospital covered in blood and looking the worse for wear.

Medtob is alive though, and back at work despite what must surely be quite a lot of  pain. Brave dwarf.

May is understandably proud of her work, and has asked to keep the title. I told her I can't guarantee anything under future overseers, but at least for the time being, she's chief medical dwarf of this fortress.

Spring has arrived on the calender

And with that I choose to step down. I've even cooked us a feast to celebrate the turning of the year:

The place is small, but always bustling: it's starting to feel like a proper home.

After the gory sights of the refuse pile made more than a few of us queasy, I asked the others to erect a palisade between us and it. I've also had food storage cellars dug out below the food processing area.

The dining hall now has two rocksalt statues made by Gwolfski: one of peahens and one of hippo's.

The wells are functional and very fancy. Some flooring tiles are all that is left to do to turn this place into a legendary dining hall, albeit one made of wood.

The barracks should also be roofed. It seems unfair to force Taupe to continue to train in the weather.

Subdividing the animal pasture would be my next task, were I taking another year in this thankless job. That and expanding the apartment complex. 20 rooms is nowhere near enough for the numbers we expect.

The most notable task this winter was probably the digging of the Tombs. It's a maze-like catacombs that features 8 relatively humble tombs for the founders of this place plus one other (I think Medtob has earned it, though the decision is no longer up to me), and plenty of dead ends for coffins and slabs for others. The coffins aren't in place yet, but they will be within the month.

Finally, I think I'll give the job of overseer to Neblime: her carpentry, more than anything I've done, has made Breadbowl what it is today. We'll see what she can achieve with a bit more power.

Signing off,
Quasar
Head Cook of Breadbowl

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:55:30 am by QuQuasar »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2015, 10:08:49 am »

So, that's that. Save's here.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11061

Thoughts:

* "Hill of Death" my arse. Damn place didn't do a thing all year. Tamest evil biome I've ever seen.

* It can take a bit to recover after trading away all your food: not because of the food itself, but because of barrels. Dorf!Neblime, as a master carpenter, is extremely important right now, and will remain that way at least until you get a stoneworker mood pop one of them up to legendary, at which point you can start churning out pots.

* Speaking of barrels, it's a good thing they're still keeping prepared food outside of them for some reason, or you'd have nothing to trade the elves this upcoming season. Obviously you don't have to trade anything in wood barrels to the elves.

* One rule we haven't really discussed is whether Breadbowl is allowed to buy foodstuff from caravans or not. I think I'll leave it up to each overseer: if you want the extra challenge, don't.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:14:52 am by QuQuasar »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 11:41:46 am »

Jeez, that was a fast turn.  Brilliantly funny writing though, have to commend you for that ;)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 11:50:49 am »

Dwarfify me as the new male brewer: name, "Aristotle", profession, "Philosopher".

Thank you.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 105