Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421604 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #90 on: August 29, 2015, 01:17:27 am »

Elven Spring Caravan

Look who decided to drop by. Only thing worse than elves are elves that have come to take your food. Just when we were progressing so nicely...

The look on their face was plain – totally don’t want to be here, just following orders, wouldn’t come near this settlement with a ten-feet glumprong anyway. They don’t have a choice though, given that they’re running an independent contract with our king. Supply deliveries to various outposts throughout the region. No darn clue how Quasar stands them, but she does.

Thankfully, given the picky bastards they are, they won’t accept barrels. There aren’t a lot of things in this fortress that come without Neblime's mark, ergo we got to keep most of our stocks. Come the autumn caravan though we’ll be losing them all. The thought itself makes me itch for a stiff drink, but I'm distracted by cheering followed by a loud AAAAAHHHHHZAABENYAAAAAAAAaaaaa coming from the mines. Another baby? That’s what, the second this week?

Spoiler: Trade Summary (click to show/hide)

Migration Wave #1: 8th Slate 238

…astonishingly useless. Legions of young dwarves who thought leisurely fly-fishing was qualification enough to be a fisherdwarf. Even more rangers who called themselves hunters simply because they wore animal leather. And they all seem to know milking. All 21 of them, and all are useless.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:06:55 am by Bearskie »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 29, 2015, 07:29:54 am »

man when my elf caravan came it seemed that there was hardly a barrel to be found...
But I guess you're coming off the reign of a master carpenter as overseer hehehe
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2015, 07:19:15 pm »

Welp, parallel-universe Breadbowl is doomed. An abomination has come. A monster, a hideous eldritch creature of evil horrible terribleness, brought by the elves to lay waste unto our innocent settlement and destroy us all.

You know them.

You hate them.

And now...

... they're GIANT.

I killed the elves. I had no choice, this was an act of aggression. Of war! I had to do it! The creature, the beast, with it's... beady hypnotic eyes... staring at me through the bars of it's cage. I know that cage won't hold it forever. And it knows I know. But I have the advantage, because I know it knows I know, and I don't think it knows that.

We dig for magma now. Nobody sleeps until it is destroyed. Nobody sleeps until I see it buuurn.

I WON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 07:37:11 pm by QuQuasar »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2015, 07:21:56 pm »

OH GOD ITS BACK

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2015, 08:20:19 pm »

Hey, I am on mobile version (To lazy to hop on the PC and do it.) and I am wondering what exactly is the beast you are talking about?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2015, 08:40:05 pm »

Hey, I am on mobile version (To lazy to hop on the PC and do it.) and I am wondering what exactly is the beast you are talking about?
We don't talk about *them*

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2015, 12:44:55 am »

Giant Lizards!! Fuck, hide me!

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2015, 01:05:05 am »

Mandate #3: Apartment Complex

The People shall build and reside in above-ground dwellings.

We have begun work on a large apartment complex this Slate. When completed, it should be able to house an extra fifty dwarves at least. With any luck, it should also make me the most hated dwarf in Breadbowl.

Listen, I know that dwarves are very attached to the ground. In any normal fortress, the nobles usually get the best rooms hollowed out deep within the earth, while normal citizens usually end up somewhere below the sedimentary layer. Let’s face it though; Breadbowl is no ‘normal fortress’. For Tecak’s sake, we’re the only dwarven settlement that’s been banned from touching underground crops!

So we scavenge, fish, gather from the land. All this is aboveground work. And people simply can’t do aboveground work when they’re puking their guts out every two steps because they’ve spent the last night tucked up in their cozy underground bed holes. Since we came here, the Founders and I have lived in aboveground rooms. We’re not insane (yet), and our beards have not shrivelled. No, the People will move, and it will be for their own good.

We begin here, extending upwards from the Founder rooms. If it’s any consolation, they will be getting stone rooms. There is a massive mining and masonry undertaking going on in the mines, and blocks are being churned out day and night to keep up with the demand. Dwarven industry at its finest.

The rooms are made from a combination of jet and rock salt, although the latter is far more abundant the deeper we go. Suits me perfectly fine. Jet’s a dull rock; you barely see it until you trip over it. Rock salt is much brighter, plus you could always scrape some into your dinner. I’m hoping we can find microcline down there. Such a striking mineral.

By Felsite, the bedrooms are functional, but nobody seems to be keen to call dibs. I’ll have to see whether I can get them to move in willingly (read: forceful evacuation).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next up, the central part of the complex will be built above the dining room. Because of existing flooring, construction is proving to be bloody difficult. They say they have to dismantle the roof to build walls on it, and that takes time. Not to mention the structural instability that it causes….

Uh oh.

UH OH.

Right in the dining room, goddamit.

In fact, it punched all the way through the dining room, hospital floor and right into the well.

Context here, it really is a miracle that only two people suffered real injuries when the cave-in itself knocked out about twenty odd dwarves.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t hide the fact that those two people are Hiddenleafguy’s wife and baby son, and that they are now swimming with the proverbial fishes in the literal well.

You'd think that the ladydwarf who was just crushed by a heap of falling logs would be pretty well-incapacitated hehe by now. But with superhuman effort, she -UNH- lifts herself one tile upwards and plomps herself onto the ground.

According to the laws of physics though, babies don’t float too well Har har. Hey Quasar, didn’t you say this game was PG-rated?

*cough* And the thing being, we can’t retrieve the body because it’s an aquifer. Erm. Yeah. That means we’ll have a dead baby in our well. Well muhaha that got dark(er) real quick.

Wait until Hiddenleafguy finds out. I’m sure he’ll share my sense of humour. Or he’ll bash my skull in, not too sure.

Now back to your regularly-scheduled program free of puns and dark humour.

~Tiiiime lapse~

It’s taken absolutely forever, but we’ve finally got the quarters operational. Building extensions upstairs should be much easier now, as long as the design matches that of the floor below. A keen eye would notice something – Taupe’s finally getting a roof over his head! To be more exact, he’s getting four rooms over his head. Hope nobody minds the noise.

The third floor finishes in a record one month. It is beautiful. Microcline is love, microcline is life.

Don’t take my word for it, but those Founder apartments look very Scandinavian.

Bearskie is relieved to have a mandate deadline met recently.

Epilogue
2nd Timber 238

“WAAAAAAAAAA!”

Jeez Hiddenleafguy, you’re f-kin incredible.

Incase you haven’t realised, these updates are only vaguely arranged in chronological order; instead I’m grouping them based on undertaken projects. Most of the time I have several separate projects going on concurrently.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 09:49:52 pm by Bearskie »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2015, 02:40:46 am »

"Whelp, dead baby in the well. Water we gonna do about tot?"

"It's a good thing the first overseer kept a second well in reservoir for just such an emergency."

"Infant, I'd say Quasar's actions saved this fortress from a grave situation."

"Oh shit! Shh! Shhhh!"

[hiddenleafguy walks by]

"Do you think he heard us?"

"Well. I feel like a borehole."

"Pffff-heheheh you're awful."

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2015, 03:48:05 am »

Journal of Quasar, Head Cook

Tragedy. Bearskie decided to extend the dining hall upwards, rather than down as would be sensible, and with stone rather than wood. I am no architect, but even I can see the problems inherent in the system. Did he really expect mere wood logs to support the weight of multiple stone floors? I do not know, and I care not to ask. What matters is the near-drowning of poor Sazir, and the death of her dear Lor.

We cannot recover the body, so I await Bearskie's order to floor off the northern well. Perhaps we can turn the lower room into a memorial, to honor the child. I certainly cannot imagine any dwarf being willing to drink from that water source now, for all that it is a very nice well.

(OOC: the northern well has some surprisingly expensive components I got by trading. If you dismantle it, you might want to re-use that bucket before it get's used for lye or something)

Bearskie demanded construction continue, and so it did. Somehow, my fellow dwarves managed to bend the laws of physics to build stone upon wood without any further collapses. Though I can't deny I would feel safer if the lower levels were replaced with more structurally-sound building materials, I cannot deny that the new microcline apartments especially are... nice. It's oddly impressive, looking upon dwarven architecture from the outside and being able to see it all at once, rather than room-by-room.

Hardly fit for a mayor, though. I wonder if that boy has something else in mind for my own quarters?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2015, 04:58:16 am »

giant5 hamster! so cute! imaginbe it ripping goblins apart!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2015, 05:34:54 am »

Mandate #4: Our Military, O’ Our Military

Pertaining to matters regarding the military of Breadbowl, AKA Taupe and that other guy.

Let’s get the most important matter out of the way first: the barracks floor has been floored over. Snazzy, eh?

Olon, our legendary armorsmith, got to test his skills when he designed the new uniforms. His craftsdwarfship was truly sublime. Seams of interlocking metal rings, woven together so seamlessly you could barely tell where it ended or started. It was of finer make than I’ve ever seen. Even the mountainhome would struggle to match this.

Lastly, we have also TRIPLED our military size, bringing us to a grand total of six soldiers. Together, they look truly formidable in their masterwork armour. These brave, suicidal men-at-arms will defend the liberty of Breadbowl with their very lives! Our enemies shall cower at the mention of the Shafts of Fortifying, masters at stabbing and slashing! They shall flee before the thundering of the Earthen Assaults, who will hack and… operate pumps? I guess those giant corkscrews are pretty damn formidable after all.

Engraved below are the various conquests of Taupe the military of Breadbowl.

Lately, there has been word about some neighbourhood watch program started by SQman; only instead of sticks, they carry around crossbows. I’ll give them a pass this time, but they better not be practicing on my watch. I won’t have some trigger-happy kid wasting our precious bolts to shoot down squirrels.

Bearskie was ambivalent to have a mandate deadline met recently.

Jeez, you guys were absolutely spot-on about the giant hamster stuff going on. Any other predictions that coincidentally might have already happened?

@Quasar: It's going along ;) Always save the best for last eh.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2015, 05:50:49 am »

trap giant hamsters. tame. breed. war train. unleash on outside world
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2015, 06:49:57 am »

Itsh dead Jim. Dead on our dining floor.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2015, 09:33:47 am »

Eh, the baby always drank all my ale rations.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 105