Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421632 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2015, 11:16:47 pm »

Dwarven Autumn Caravan

The caravan arrived the following day, but I remained in bed. Let them take what they want - it was pointless to resist anyway. Psycho’s death was still fresh in my memory. I heard they all went down to the beach to lay a memorial to the three, while I was here drinking gutter creor all night. Gods, what a horrible hangover. Really don’t feel like seeing the sun today.

Then again, I’m still the overseer. Aye, I’ve made some bad decisions maybe. Still, like it or not, I took an oath when I first started to always work towards the good of the fort. That probably doesn’t include hiding out here in the middle of a trade caravan.

Sun’s pretty high up in the sky when I left my room. Even from here, I can see our vast stocks of maize beer and pond turtle biscuits being piled up by the depot. I no longer had the stomach for anger, but I wanted to ask the liaison if she would consider taking fewer goods. Perhaps if I reason it out, she will understand. It takes a long while for us to recover from a trading season; if the king took less, we could produce even more food. A win-win situation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But the liaison doesn’t want to talk to me, they say. She speaks only to the mayor. Together with Quasar, they are now in her office conducting a lengthy discussion.

Quasar is a good negotiator, doubtless about that. I trust her fully with the fort’s trade agreements. But I am worried.

I am worried because I do not know what they are talking about behind these closed doors.

I do not know what Quasar intends to do.

I really don’t.

They finally emerge at dusk. Both are laughing; they evidently share some sort of camaraderie with each other. Quasar sees me and raises her index finger to her lips, in the eternal gesture of silence. I wonder but I do not ask.

The merchants left that night itself. The Hills of Death was a dangerous place after sundown, but they were to hurry if they wanted to stay on schedule. King Sibrek had decreed that all stocks were to arrive before winter sets in. The caravan guards seemed worthy enough; I hope they defended our goods well. Just before they embarked on their journey, I see Fath giving Quasar a wink.

I do not ask, but I am worried.

Spoiler: Trade summary (click to show/hide)

Migration Wave #3: 23rd Limestone 238

Back in my room, I find a report on my desk with details about the latest migrants. They arrived along with the caravan this morning, all five of them, and they were surprisingly not useless. I thumbed through the report, noting that one was a fairly decent engraver, the other a practising surgeon, and the next even used to run a leatherworks business. If I were my usual self I’d probably make some snappy remark about each of them, but not this time. They are good dwarves, and their expertise will be a credit to Breadbowl.

Quasar - Come to think of it, that's what I should've done :-\. But I had already played the game by then, and I just saw this as an easy way to pass over the next turn to Gwolfski. Oh well.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2015, 12:47:09 am »

Checking his preferences...

... well, best case scenario he'll mandate the production of battle axes. Battle axes we can do.

Worst case, he starts demanding native-platinum millstones. Which would be oddly appropriate for Breadbowl, but kinda difficult to produce.

Also, I note he and Quasar share a mutual grudge. I can only assume she thought it would be hilarious to give the highest title in the land to the guy with no ambition or desire for responsibility.

Or maybe dorf!Me just hopes he does start demanding native-platinum millstones and a future overseer decides to find out how well he swims with one of them tied around his neck.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 03, 2015, 10:40:18 am »

Mandate #8: Noble Quarters

Converting the mines into an all-purpose area designed to satisfy the petty needs of nobility.

The noble quarters started out fairly innocently enough. Ever since I took over as overseer, Quasar had been dropping plenty of not-too-subtle-hints that she needed a new office. We’d also appointed a new manager, who too expressed a need for his own ‘private space’ for ‘doing things’. Frankly I was rather unfazed with these demands, and was already planning to get them to move their stuff to the tomb sector.

It wasn’t until we began building the apartment complex on the 11th of Slate when we found ourselves in dire need of some good old-fashioned stone. Large mining operations soon ensued in the mines below our dining room. And so I thought, well then, since we’re digging out stone anyway we might as well just dig out the offices as well; maybe get those pesky nobles off my back for a while.

Oh, and make that three offices. Turns out May could use one as well. She did have a Meager Office, but apparently nobody knew where it was. I would’ve asked May myself, but she tends to be in this imaginary office of hers pretty often.

And the miners are digging in another layer; might as well expand the noble quarters to 2 z-levels I guess. Come to think of it, nobles need three rooms don’t they? Bedroom, dining room and office. It would be a lot easier if we just made it 3 z-levels instead.

Har har har.

My point being, it took us eight whole months to complete this thing. We had our fair share of accidents of course. Accidentally tapped into the well once, and nearly flooded the whole thing. Minor cave-ins which could’ve been avoided. Irreversible designation errors (that’s why Hiddenleafguy’s office doesn’t have a natural stone floor).  Plus we had to execute a massive, controlled cave-in in order to correct one silly design floor, which even sent tremors throughout the whole landscape.

So Quasar, ye damn well better like it.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2015, 05:12:40 am »

Winter

The news broke in the morning. By royal decree, Breadbowl had been declared a barony of the Old Nets by King Sibrek. Gwolfski, of all people, had been made baron. It was a surprise appointment; many had apparently expected Quasar to get it.

It was fairly obvious what that meant for me though. I was soon to be relinquished of my duties, and Gwolfski will take over rule of this fort after the baroning on Obsidian 31st. I’m not too sure how I feel at the moment. Apathetic, I guess. When I first took over I thought I could change things, but now I don’t know anymore. Breadbowl deserves change; it deserves a better overseer. Perhaps Gwolfski will be that overseer.

Winter soon became a season of consolidation. I had lost my appetite for large scale projects; even if I wanted to, most were too busy preparing for the baroning ceremony to lend me a hand. Instead, I chose to focus on small, quality-of-life upgrades around the fort.

We finally got around to segregating the pastures, for instance.

It took alot of fiddling, but the millstone series are operational too.
((I swear, touch anything and the whole thing’s going to collapse, so don’t.))

Meanwhile, the new textile building has been meticulously tiled to specification. 

Other buildings are also enjoying the flooring treatment.

Our poultry takes to the sky, as the nesting room becomes a nesting tower.
((Which for some reason, doesn’t work – can’t get them to lay eggs. Gonna need help on this one.))

Various chokepoints in the jungle are being converted into trapping areas, in the hope that it might snare us some much needed wildlife.

With too much time and far too many blocks clogging up our stockpiles, a 21-room extension to the existing apartment complex is drafted and completed with surprisingly few problems.

Lastly, for curiosity’s sake, I’m also running my own personal experiment on the Hill of Death's capabilities. So far, nothing too untoward has befallen these puppies (yet).

It will not be long before the baroning ceremony takes place at the end of this month. I will have to oversee a few more things, but on the all, the fort is running smoother than it ever was during my reign. Perhaps it is the winter air. It blows through Breadbowl like a cool breeze, and soothes gently our fragile souls.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 05:50:01 am by Bearskie »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2015, 06:54:44 am »

Strange Moods

This year, we had a grand total of three artifacts produced at Breadbowl.

The first was created by none other than Litast, wife of the legendary armorsmith Onul - she who has seen and worked with sacred metal before. Litast claimed a craftshop, and by two weeks, we bore witness to the first true artifact crafted in this humble settlement.

She called it Atorerush, the Perfect Handles. It was remarkably simple; to the untrained eye, it may even pass as merely another masterwork craft. But look closer, and one notices an engraving of unparalleled detail and fineness, etched on a ring of perfect circle.

From that day on, nobody could deny that Litast was a legendary stonecrafter. Rumour circulated that she had created Atorerush for the renewal of her marriage vows with Onul; even more rumours claimed that Onul had created an artefact iron ring in return as well. Soon, they became known as the Legendary Couple.

The second artifact was created by an aspiring engraver, Inod Silverrouts. Reports claimed that he experienced fey-like attributes, such as having glowing white eyes and levitating his chisel. This time, the artifact was far more decorative.

It was declared to be Splatterstroke by the fey spirit, who abandoned Inod’s body upon the completion of the artifact. Adorned in almost every dwarven decorative style imaginable, from circular bands to menacing spikes to image depiction, all the while adhering to the spacial confines of a simple hood, it was truly a marvel of leatherworking.

Ironically, Inod was an atheist who flatly denied his fey mood and claimed that Splatterstroke was just another ‘tacky costume headwear’. His creation was promptly wrested away from him before he could consider doing any further harm towards it. It wasn’t long though before Inod demonstrated a skill with tanning that even he could not deny.

Continuing the trend in excessively-decorated headwear, the next artifact came from an unassuming farmer known as Ilral Plankdrilled. He too claimed to have been possessed by a great spirit, and bestowed upon his creation the inexplicable name of Yearrub the Contingent of Splattering.

Yearrub soon became a controversial matter as some felt that Ilral had merely copied the methodology and design of Splatterstroke. This, compounded with the fact that Ilral demonstrated no supernatural talents after his possession, lead many to denounce him as a fraud. Later investigations by expert craftsdwarves have managed to clear Ilral’s name somewhat, as the craftsdwarfship on Yearrub was found to be far too delicate for a dwarf of zero leatherworking skill to simply make on-a-whim.

The Rampage of Isha Alucisli in Breadbowl

Elves come forth during the bloom of spring. Humans prefer the steadfast heat of summer. Dwarves enjoy autumn, probably because they get to see trees dying so much.
But in winter, only dark things come out of the wood.

Rakust Dikestabbed swings her axe towards the bark of a lychee tree. This got her nothing more than a couple of wood splinters, partly because she hadn’t done this for a while, but primarily because she was using a training axe. Afterall, it was bloody impossible to get a real axe nowadays thanks to that darn Total Armament Project. She hefts her axe for another try, and blinks. Was that the emergency alarm bells going off?

Rakust shrugs. Don’t know what the big deal is this time, probably just another giant hamster that got into the dining hall. Rules are rules though. Better get into the fortress before she got another tongue-lashing. W-

If it makes you feel better, a real axe really wouldn’t have made that much of a difference.

Issha strikes with blinding ferocity, crippling Rakust on the first strike. The wereskunk then proceeds to wail on the dwarf with all the tooth, claw and fury she can muster. There is no time to waste – the bridges must be retracted as soon as possible, lest Issha makes it into the town of Breadbowl!

By then, Rakust has become no more than a gory chunk of mass on the ground. The wereskunk hardly cares; so much is its lust for blood that she tears at the bloody carcass nonetheless. Breadbowl holds its breath, praying that the beast is sufficiently distracted that she does not attempt to cross the bridge.

Success! With the beast safely trapped on the other side of the moat, SQman’s neighbourhood watch program is called into action. Once they reach there, they will be able to snipe at Issha with little fear of retaliation.

Hang on a sec, werebeasts can’t swim, can they?

God damnit.

The part-time marksdwarves are hurriedly called off, and the real military is summoned. They arrive just in time to see the wereskunk rising from the river - it was now or never. With an air of trepidation, the kill order is issued and the Shafts readily advance in a spear phalanx.

Issha’s first few strikes are wild and powerful, yet the Shafts stick to their plan with discipline. They target her limbs and joints specifically to prevent her the liberty of movement. The wereskunk growls in anger as she falls to the ground, but Taupe drives a vicious stab through her right hand, and the growl turns into a howl of pain. Pinned to the ground, Issha dies a painful death as she sustains multiple severe puncture wounds. The battle ends as Kubuk Bannersnarls stands high above the prone Issha and beheads her with a single, merciful slash.

The dwarves of Breadbowl breathe again. In time, what is left of Rakust will soon be brought back to Breadbowl to be properly buried. Ironically, she is the first actual corpse to occupy the tomb area. The military will rejoice today in the wake of their success - but not by too much. It is afterall still winter.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 05:41:16 am by Bearskie »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2015, 08:45:11 am »

Paranoia? It's more akin to art really. I'm not sure you truly appreciate the finesse required to dismember limbs with spear stabs...

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 05, 2015, 07:44:38 am »

Alright, I guess I'm done. Wanted to originally do one more post, but didn't really work out. Here's the save:

SAVE

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 06, 2015, 11:40:28 am »

The journal of SQman, the Magnificent Royal Tracker

Entry 3:
The idea of building up isn't new in the dwarven culture. You find a tall mountain, dig deep horizontally, then all the way up until your fortress resembles a tall folk castle, but carved from solid stone. We, people of Breadbowl must be different, of course. Instead of digging up we LAY BRICKS. Yes, this is as inefficient as it sounds, but who knows, maybe there are benefits that I just don't notice. Ah, everyone knows this is not true. A baby has died because of Bearskie's weird fascination with the sky. I'd file a complaint, but I still can't find any paper. No, this situation isn't dire enough yet.

Scribbled on the side of the page is an image of a baby and fish in charcoal. The baby is surrounded by fish.

Entry 4:

I figured out that if I want to achieve anything in this outpost, I need to advertise my shooting skills. Is there a better way to do this than join the militia? I've approached Bearskie and told him about my military ambitions. "Aren't you the one who kept complaining that they're taking hunters' jobs or something? I mean, I was thinking about forming a crossbowmen squad. Just show me what you have to offer". That's basically what he said. Well, I might have skipped the part where he yells at me for engraving a rather crude and poorly made engraving in a clearly visible place, but that's not the point.
So he took me outside and told me to shoot a makeshift wooden target near the animal pens. Easy. Put three bolts almost to the very center. I though Bearskie wanted to scold me for wasting bolts, but apparently I was the first one to actually hit. He's praised me and told me I'll be a fine captain. I swear I heard him mutter "at least better than the rest of those sparrow chasers" or something along these lines

Entry 5:

There was some kind of a gem monster in the caverns, or so I've heard. They've made some trap that didn't work, then there were rumors that the monster has fallen asleep, then everyone suddenly stopped talking about it. Was it even real? I bet I could shatter it with a single bolt, but caverns are not the place where I like to be.

Scribbled on the side of the page is an image of SQman the dwarf, and Thol-Anan the forgotten beast in charcoal. SQman is striking down Thol-Anan.

Entry 6:

Two great hunters have died because of Bearskie's new weirdest idea: a moat. Humans sometimes dig them around their castles, but the whole town? I've seen a lot in my life, and I gotta tell you: if goblins do arrive, they'll have giant toads and giant bats.

Scribbled on the side of the page is an image of a moat, a goblin, a goblin, a giant toad, and a giant bat in charcoal. The goblin is riding the giant toad. The goblin is riding the giant bat. The moat is useless.

Entry 7:

A wereskunk had forded our moat and killed a guy. Replace the wereskunk with 200 goblins. There's nothing more to say.

Oh my, water related deaths, my favourite kind. I wouldn't have guessed that land werebeasts path through water. Goblins and trolls do get stopped by water, right? Right?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2015, 08:23:06 pm »

Oh my, water related deaths, my favourite kind. I wouldn't have guessed that land werebeasts path through water. Goblins and trolls do get stopped by water, right? Right?
I'm not sure if they do normally (probably), but the moat isn't actually completely full. The scorching heat in the Hill Of Death means it evaporates constantly from there, while the forest pools in the Jungle Of Twilight are filling it up whenever it rains.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 06, 2015, 09:03:40 pm »

This is a parchment envelope. It is stamped with the seal of The Old Nets, in blue dimple dye wax. On the item are the words "Gwolfski Uristirtir of Imarust" in charcoal lettering.

To Gwolfski Uristirtir, "Daggerdangles" of Imarust, "Breadbowl"
 - from the pen of Fath Likotoslan, Outpost Liason
 - on behalf of His Highness, King Sibrek Logemtad, Low King of The Old Nets,

His highness, King Sibrek Logemtad of The Old Nets, would like to express his congratulations to the dwarves of Breadbowl on the fact that, under the management of overseer Bearskie, booze production has more than doubled, up 225% of last years production.

However, his highness would also like to express his disappoint in the 8% reduction in quantity, and more importantly the significant reduction in quality, of food arriving from your outpost. Specifically, he would like me to communicate the following exact words:

"If your outpost makes me eat one more Armok damned biscuit, every single one of you will be thrown off the roof of your ridiculous aboveground settlement. And then hammered just to be sure."

I realise it can be difficult to produce food in the significant quantites required without taking... shortcuts, but I would strongly urge you to reconsider. His highness has a refined palate, and it took several hours of sustained argumentation on my part to persuade him not to request the immediate hammering of the previous overseer.

Please see to addressing these deficiencies as soon as possible, Baron Gwolfski.

Yours,
Fath Likotoslan,
On behalf of His Highness, King Sibrek Logemtad

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 06, 2015, 09:21:50 pm »

I just realised something...

In parallel breadbowl, Neblime died first at the hands of an ettin. In actual breadbowl, Psychoangel died building a mega project.

These two dwarves had very little in common. Neblime was often sad and dejected. Psychoangel was the opposite. But...

Quote from: Neblime
She absolutely detests hamsters.
Quote from: Psychoangel
He absolutely detests hamsters.

Taupe? Watch your back.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2015, 10:18:47 pm »

Quote from: Neblime
She absolutely detests hamsters.
Quote from: Psychoangel
He absolutely detests hamsters.

Taupe? Watch your back.
Maybe i should ask that badass, much cooler toddler to do it for me?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2015, 03:36:52 am »

Those are some adorable engravings SQman :P

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2015, 02:49:05 pm »

Gwolfski has asked to be moved down a turn.

Taupe, that makes it your turn.

As always, keep us posted and remember to record everything you trade.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2015, 03:25:54 pm »

Taupe better hope Gwolfski finishes his turn in Doomforests, or else he will be facing the dreaded twofer.

Snustok is waiting...

I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 105