Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 424653 times)

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #210 on: October 01, 2015, 04:14:47 pm »

Whaa... That's an AU, right?  ::)

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 01, 2015, 04:45:02 pm »

Yeah, I'm just using the save for testing. You're still alive in canon breadbowl.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 01, 2015, 05:49:10 pm »

Alright, since hiddenleafguy hasn't got back to me since his last message, and since sanctume is keen and everyone else is occupied, I'm going to exercise the terrifying godlike powers that were bestowed upon me as Thread Creator...

Sanctume, the turn passes to you. Use it wisely, and remember: only by producing the greatest and most terrible despair can we turn back the clock on entropy and extend the universes lifespan.

Also something-something remember to record your trade quantities.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 01, 2015, 07:19:27 pm »

Alright, since hiddenleafguy hasn't got back to me since his last message, and since sanctume is keen and everyone else is occupied, I'm going to exercise the terrifying godlike powers that were bestowed upon me as Thread Creator...

Sanctume, the turn passes to you. Use it wisely, and remember: only by producing the greatest and most terrible despair can we turn back the clock on entropy and extend the universes lifespan.

Also something-something remember to record your trade quantities.
Modified save is here.

Alright, I will do my best.
I want to verify that I continue from this save, 2 pages back?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 01, 2015, 08:09:29 pm »

That's the one, aye. Good luck!

Also, a tip: on land, our militia is quite capable, especially if you send SQMan's Neighborhood Watch to help. Just make sure they don't end up in the moat.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 02, 2015, 02:16:04 am »

Pretty sure the number one cause of death here so far has been death by water (AKA drowning).

That's a fine yarn you're spinning Sancturne :). Good luck, have a great turn, and please don't mind the dead baby in the well.

Edit -

another baby had it's foot cut off by someone's silver battle axe in the chaos

Another victory for the Total Armament Project!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 02:24:30 am by Bearskie »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 02, 2015, 09:25:10 am »

Pretty sure the number one cause of death here so far has been death by water (AKA drowning).

That's a fine yarn you're spinning Sancturne :). Good luck, have a great turn, and please don't mind the dead baby in the well.

Edit -

another baby had it's foot cut off by someone's silver battle axe in the chaos

Another victory for the Total Armament Project!

I have not unpaused the game yet, and it's the 1st of Granite, 240. 
So I spent studying how I'm to do me plans.
Although "cheesy" for having an insight that a siege will most likely happen, I spent a good chunk of my time painting a 2nd burrow "Outside In-Wall."
The good news is that the north portion of our circular moat is walled, and the only remaining wall job is the south-east quarter. 

It was also difficult to find workshops.  I mean, there is an indication of the number of workshop created, but it does not mean it's accessible.  This refers to the flooded level with mechanic's and jeweler at least.  So I then spent some more time painting the caverns to be included in the "Outside In-Wall" burrow to dig expansion of workshop, and dig down for more rock salt stones.  This area too has a nice magnetite.  But I'm getting ahead of myself. 

In my preview run, FPS hits fluctuates between 20 to 50.  I'm thinking it's because of all these animals and children.  I can't really cage the kids, so I'll cage the non breeding animal kids.  I'm also thinking of pre-digging the underground farm area now before I breach the dirt floor and lay on clear glass.  It's probably possible to have 10 x 3 x 14 = 420 clear glass within 1 year.  Anyway, this dig site area can be a civilian burrow for the children at z-2 to hopefully help reduce FPS hits.

And lastly, I am looking at the battlefield.  I will probably not have time to build on the wall, some z+1 battlements with fortification to shoot through and across the moat to where the siege will be (north-west).  In my non-related games, the task to complete a z+1 wall, carve fortification, and roof at z+2 takes a season+, so that's not a good plan here. 

IIRC, a 20 tile range away from siege enemies will not have a construction interrupt.  So one possible plan is to fortify above the clothing/leather building and station the markdwarves there behind fortifications, and have the melee wait below with no LOS of the west bridge.  Then have the Duke do the lever pull duty to let a trickle of siegers in, and toggle drop the rest back on the moat.

The other option is to wait out the siege, I suppose but would merchants not come? Or come join the fun?

Anyway, I can't wait for this work day to be over.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 02, 2015, 12:13:51 pm »

Prologue

Breadbowl is a place born of the incestuous coupling of the King's Mandate for great lavish meals and his hatred for anything under-grown.  No succulent plump helmet, no sweet pods, no pig tails, no cave wheat, no quarry bushes.  And good luck eating dimple cups.  Just none of it. 

I am Sanctume and volunteered to join Breadbowl, two seasons past, and was immediately recruited into the Shafts of Fortifying to help secure the town, now barony. 

I was the only dabbling macedwarf in the town at the time.  So there I was one fine spring evening drinking in the Fishers Guild.  Did I mention that this town lacked below earth dwellings?  They made these wooden caves above the ground, and put rooms!  It was a miserable two season of me painting me lodgings with green hues of my vomit... 

As I was saying, the drink were fine that spring for I am no longer affected by the forest infested air and sunlight.  There I was drinking some booze from fruits with the smith Dodok Ostdatan.  He all of a sudden had a mule-eyed look staring at nothing, then screamed of needing this, needing that, and off he ran towards the forges.  I was more concerned that the he left a booze filled mug, but I am friendly terms with him, so drank for both of us. 

Dodok spent many days and nights in his forge, and so I drank for both of us each night for a week.  He forges an incredible silver mace, and named it Alaknikot, "The Ace Actions."  I told him I drank for both of us in his absences and offered him my first drink for his fine craftsmanship. 

He in turn was thankful and gave me the mace.  It's a nice silver mace, feels light to wield.  So light that I took off my helm and used the mace to scratch an itch behind my neck--ahh it's a good mace, perfect for that itch.  We drank the night away and that's how I am the wielder of Alaknikot. 

Chapter 1 (2 years later, late winter) 

The duke of Breadbowl, Gwolfski Daggerdangles summoned me to his noble office.  It took me some time to find it that it seems I spent the entire winter getting there.  You see, there was this flood some time ago where legend says a dwarven baby forever swims and guards the well and surrounds the nobles' dwellings under the indoor lake that is three urists deep! 

But that's just fancy talk.  It was more a sandy tunnel then some wooden stairs.  But that is deceiving from the outside, err rather, outside of the underneath.  The duke's living arrangement is among the smooth stone layers of Breadbowl. 

"Ahem," coughed the duke.   

My seductive touches and caresses on the exceptional engraving upon smoothed natural stones depicting goblins in a submissive gestures was interrupted to take note of the present. 

"Hullo duke, ye have a nice room," I said thinking quickly to greet with compliments. 

"I know right. Perks of nobility. You may have it someday if you want," he offered. 

"No I don't want the nobility.  A room down here would be nice.  Not this one, it's full of water beyond the walls," I noted.   

"Yes, I know," the duke says in a conspiratorial tone, "it's like a drowning chamber.  All it needs is a lever, but I won't allow that." 

"So, why the summons," I asked. 

"The King was pleased about the last shipment of lavish meals, but also upset at the lack of booze. So, I decided that you, Sanctume, shall oversee in correcting this discrepancy. I shall give you a year to make it happen." 

"But I don't do overseeing unless I swing my mace at the problem," I protested. 

"You like booze don't ya? Even those made from fruits, yes," he asked. 

"Yes of course," I quickly responded. 

"Good answer! Now off you go, Commander Taupe will see to it that you get to swing your mace on any problem on the surface.  One year, you got." 

Chapter 2  (1st of Granite, 240, Early Spring) 

A dwarf holding his helm climbs up the roof of the hall.  He uses a gleaming silver mace to scratch an itch behind his neck, and uses the mace to point to several locations of an almost walled circular moat of Breadbowl. 

The southwest wall construction should start this spring immediately. 

The Fisher Guild want grates on the some part of the wall to the south. 

Recall the hunters inside to the new Outside In-wall burrow.  This spring stink of goblins. I don't like it. 

A mandate that allows clear glass ceiling is reason to move the farm plots below. So that roof there above the wood furnace can house two glass furnace, a kiln, and an ashery to make clear glass.  I need 420 clear glass before the year's end. 

The mechanic's shop and the jeweler's shop are all submerged outside the noble's quarters.  Either we task the Miner's Guild to drain all the water off, but we all know that water deaths is the leading cause of death here in Breadbowl.  It all started in the well, and the baby... but that's another story. 

Just dig new rooms down where the Mason's Guild have established.  There's plenty of room to dig, and those magnetite will be useful sooner or later. So I want those dug instead and move the mechanics and gem labors down below. 

There are four dozen kids running around. I want them secured below with the Giant Hamster to entertain them. 

And all these animals get in the way also so task the carpenter to make several cages for lockup. 

Anything else? No. Good, I'm off to spar. 

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 03, 2015, 01:23:35 am »

Your turn, your call mate. Depends on how you want to handle the goblin problem yourself. Btw, you write a damn fine duke Gwolfski.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #219 on: October 03, 2015, 06:52:47 am »

I have been llooking at the swimming training machine, and i suggest buidling upright grates in front of it. it is better then fortrifications because you can remove them quicker.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 03, 2015, 03:46:52 pm »

Oh my beard, 19 google doc pages of written battle reports so far.  I trimmed down the sailing in an arc verbiage and other repeated text. 

Now how am I to drain this moat?
Probably not a problem this year, but iirc, witnessing sentient body parts can add to anyone stress each week.

p.s. What's the acceptable attrition rate death count?

Is Quantum Stockpile using Minecart allowed?  I hear is saves on FPS.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 03:48:30 pm by Sanctume »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 03, 2015, 07:42:41 pm »

p.s. What's the acceptable attrition rate death count?
The only limiting factor is your moral compass.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 03, 2015, 08:13:03 pm »

Crashed twice now sometime in the month of Slate, lost 2+ hours game play.

My last save that is stable is after the siege. 

I suspect it's the mushroom trees on the dirt room floors, maybe even the area below the hospital.

I thought it was the mason's area, but there does not seem to be any construction down in the caverns area.

I'll focus on flooring the mushrooms and postpone my mini projects.

My recent save is after the elf caravan (15th Granite, 240, Early Spring.) 

Just got to make this work out for the hopefully breeding pair of Giant Hamsters Breadbowl acquired!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 03, 2015, 08:16:30 pm »

Just got to make this work out for the hopefully breeding pair of Giant Hamsters Breadbowl acquired!
Nonononononononono.

No.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 03, 2015, 08:34:47 pm »

How big is a giant hamster, really? And yay! Hamster breeding means lots of hamster biscuits!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 105