Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421596 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #270 on: October 06, 2015, 08:25:21 pm »

Book III

The winds blow, and breezes come and pass, touching experiences and leaving memories.  Memories are woven in tales and songs, and become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth become forgotten.  A cloud of profane smoke roils within a malice that strengthens while witnessing bloodshed in the lands of Breadbowl.  The malice cannot take its physical form of smoke beyond the Jungle of Twilight.  But the malice makes its presence known by letting its putrid smell drift along the strong winds.

And so the stench of malevolence caresses below the forest floor and Glumprong trees, drifts over the rock salt walls of Breadbowl, creeps further to the west to clashing dwarves and goblins, and many more marching goblins and lumbering trolls.

Spoiler: Perils of West Bridge (click to show/hide)

Chapter 12 (Perils of West Bridge, 7th Granite, 240, Early Spring)

Goblin Scout Squad
  • ‘Zom’ - Zom Ngokangolang, Goblin Recruit (sighted in west moat)
Goblin Assault, 3rd Squad
  • ‘Hams’ - Bosa Olngoang, Goblin Hammerman
  • ‘Phas’ - Bosa Basnungxusphas, Goblin Recruit
  • ‘Usbu’ - Usbu Omagngom, Goblin Axeman
  • ‘Mob’ - Kutsmob Slazstodno, Goblin Crossbowman
Goblin Regular, 1st Infantry
  • ‘Osnun’ - Osnun Uksossnodub, Goblin Bowman
Less than a week since the siege start, no reprieve, no break, and no sleep are the demands for the vigilance one dedicates in defending Breadbowl.

Armok is satiated for the moment at the display of bloodshed.  Alaknikot’s glow dims back to a polished silver mace. Sanctume has left the martial trance.

Taupe commands, “Move back. Away from the west bridge, now Armokdamnit, now!”

As soon as than words profaning Armok’s name is mentioned, Hams climbs out of the moat, swings a crude iron morningstar at Vortex and misses.

Vortex swings her iron battle axe on Hams’ upper body, tearing apart the liver, and bloody battle axe lodging firmly in the wound. 

Vortex then pulls out the axe and pommel strikes the right shoulder, crushing the injured part.

Hams loses hold of the iron shield, gives in to pain and falls over.

Tekkud the stabs Hams in the head, tearing the brain, and her bronze spear embeds in the skull.

--

Phas the recruit in training of Goblin Assault, 3rd Squad follows Hams climbing out the moat.

Phas misses an attack on Angus and then tastes Breadbowl’s flavored onslaught.

First, Tekkud stabs the left hand, third finger to a mangled mess beyond recognition.

Angus hacks in the upper left arm causing Phas to give in to pain.

But not before Vortex hacks the upper body shattering the through ribs.

As Phas is falling over, Sanctume bashes the head and fractures the skull.

Tekkud stabs through the fracture, shatters the skull, and lodging firmly her bronze spear in the wound!  5 HIT COMBO !

--

Volleys of silver bolts streaks past from Onul of Watch, and Pyro.

Taupe observes that Pyro has the intensity of wanting to burn the moat and goblins alike; and added stone too, if stone can catch fire.  The Commander’s thoughts of distractions fades as discipline takes over. Now if the squads just back away from the temptation of the goblin filled moat that is now two steps away.

Taupe orders, “Cancel all stations! Everyone into the Safe Indoors burrow. Armokdamnit, you all are exposed to...”

Osnun, jumps in the moat from the far west bank and continue to shoot silver arrows across.  A silver arrow streaks past the gate opening above the ducking Taupe.  “... arrows.”

--

Zom has been swimming in the moat since the her perfect swan dive. 
Usbu grimaces, holding his axe and waiting on the south submerged upslope.
Zom nods and steps on Usbu’s groin to climb out of the moat.

Taupe, hoarse from yelling and bellowing needs a drink, “Armokdamnit no. Do not go any closer to that bridge. Do not…”

Kubuk steps before the moat and slashes Zom cutting off her right foot.  Kubuk follows up with quick slashes but were deflected against the iron mail shirt.

Kubuk, exposed at the very edge of the moat quickly jumps away from the flying silver arrows of Osnun, and crashing towards Vortex and Angus.  Voxtes takes on the muscular and lardy brunt impact of Kubuk, and stumbles backwards, stunned.  Angus is agile and jumps away to avoid colliding, “easy there girlfriend,” slapping Kubuk in the butt.

Is it quite crowded in the west gate, but this does not deter Sanctume from taking the opportunity to peek out, and step on the moat’s edge, and bash Zom in the head, fracturing it. 

Zom falls into the water which interferes an ambush swing from Usbu below the moat’s submerged ramp.  Usbu misses Sanctume by a troll’s hair!

Spoiler: West Bridge Report (click to show/hide)

There are ten goblins in the immediate moat and none inside our walls. This is really an opportune time to step back, have drinks, netflick' and chill, out of line of sight.

Zom is half submerged on the moat’s ramp, steps on Usbu’s shoulder using her remaining left foot to climb back up. Kubuk stabs Zom in the head lodging the iron short sword in the skull.

Mob shoots silver bolts from middle of the moat, misses Kubuk.

Taupe knowing battlelust is very hard to reign in moves to assess the enemy but is greeted with a spear stab from Bax, the Goblin Scout Squad Leader on the north upslope.  The spear misses Taupe, and Taupe counters with his own bronze spear and gut stabs Bax in the lower body.

Bax looks sick!

Vortex who is no longer stunned, and Fairybrow and Angus and even Usbu and Osnun, say in unison, “Death is all around us.  This is truly horrifying.”

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:42:00 am by Sanctume »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 06, 2015, 09:36:29 pm »

Well, part of the troops are driven by glory rather than tactics. Obviously they aren't going to let go of the moat idea. The next best thing would be to have the Watch stationned upon a roof, in a position where they don't get exposed to most archers but can still support against anything that climbs out of the river through the gate. If our boys are gonna stick around, might as well give them some ranged support...

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 06, 2015, 09:39:25 pm »

Quasar, Can you put a Poll ending on Thursday or Friday?
I went looking, but it doesn't look like I have that option under "Modify". Polls can only be created with new threads.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 06, 2015, 10:05:56 pm »

Quasar, Can you put a Poll ending on Thursday or Friday?
I went looking, but it doesn't look like I have that option under "Modify". Polls can only be created with new threads.

If you go to the first post, there should be a "ADD POLL" on the upper right. Let me know if I need to post an image.

Don't need to modify 1st post, just go to page 1 I think.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 06, 2015, 10:27:18 pm »

Thar we go, that should do it. Hopefully I can remove that once it's over, I'd hate to end up with a permanent poll on top of the thread.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 06, 2015, 10:41:27 pm »

I have a draft of Ch 13, but I'll re-read again if it's a good breaking going into Ch 14.

Spoiler: Ch 13 Title (click to show/hide)

Took a break by satisfying my OCD and retcon (if that's the word for it) previous posts so both Oddom->Pyro and Mosus->Angus are updated. :)

Anyway, getting some dinner.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 06, 2015, 10:56:02 pm »

Spoiler: Ch 13 Title (click to show/hide)
Suddenly I regret voting for option B. Don't let me die trying to save someone, people will think I actually care.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 06, 2015, 11:53:17 pm »

Seeing your excitement as to holding the poll in the first place, I'd say that there's definitely someone going to die. Someone important. Thus... G I CHOOSE YOU! Did the Hill of Death actually do something back there, or was that just writing imagery?

+ Our retracting bridges seem woefully inadequate for defense protection. Raising bridges recommended instead once this is over.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 07, 2015, 12:31:58 am »

Seeing your excitement as to holding the poll in the first place, I'd say that there's definitely someone going to die. Someone important. Thus... G I CHOOSE YOU! Did the Hill of Death actually do something back there, or was that just writing imagery?

+ Our retracting bridges seem woefully inadequate for defense protection. Raising bridges recommended instead once this is over.

Sanctume ponders about the bridges after the duke tasks him to the increase booze production.   
Upon seeing that a single lever controls all bridges, he felt it unwise to dismantle the current mechanism links when the wind stinks of trouble since the 1st of spring.  Good decision to leave the bridges for the siege came on the 2nd day.

ooc: There is an actual "cloud of profane smoke" and I've mentioned that I've read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.  He used a great literary intro using wind that travels long distances describing the lands and/or overview of the setting.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 07, 2015, 12:42:35 am »

Wait... it's alive? The Hill Of Death is ALIIIIVE!!! Possibly with the sound of music, but definitely with the smell of firey death.

It makes way too much sense, too: scorching biome + dragon lair + lots of evil tree's = profane smoke.

I wonder what it does to living creatures? :D

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 07, 2015, 01:25:13 am »

Chapter 13 (Commander’s Challenge)

Goblin Scout Squad
  • ‘Bax’ - Bax Urarotak, Goblin Spearman, Squad Leader (injured vs Taupe, bronze spear gut stab)
  • ‘Zom’ - Zom Ngokangolang, Goblin Recruit (injured vs Sanctume and Kubuk, iron short sword in the skull)
  • ‘Bub’ - Stosbub Smunstugoslust, Goblin Recruit (sighted in west moat)
Goblin Assault, 3rd Squad
  • ‘Usbu’ - Usbu Omagngom, Goblin Axeman (half submerged on the moat’s ramp)
  • ‘Mob’ - Kutsmob Slazstrodno, Goblin Crossbowman
Goblin Regular, 1st Infantry
  • ‘Osnun’ - Osnun Uksossnodub, Goblin Bowman (uninjured, shooting from moat)
  • ‘Gas’ - Xuspgas Ugsnormato, Goblin Crossbowman
  • ‘Mac’ - Nako Aturemzu, Goblin Maceman
  • ‘Ngoso’ - Ngoso Rudngom, Goblin Axeman, War Leader
Angus strides forward and pauses in the middle of the moat edge, and in dramatic fashion of a soliloquy, “I was near to a Paved Road (wet with blood). It pleases me.”  Iron bolt flies over her head and two axe swings from Usbu miss, “I was attacked. Most shocking!”

Taupe rolls his eyes busy pulling on the embedded iron spear, and decides to the punch Bax who is bleeding profusely in the submerged ramp.

Kubuk continues to slash at Zom and tearing tendons in the skull.

--

Taupe stabs Bax in the left upper legs fracturing bone, then finally stabs his bronze iron spear in the head fracturing through the copper helm.

Usbu blindly swing the axe, missing both Tekkud and Angus.

Captain Vortex says, “Everyone seems to be fascinated by the moat.  There is time to step back, like now?”

Tekkud responds, “Quite obvious, captain.”

Bowman Osnun, Crossbowman Gas, and Crossbowman Mob swimming in the middle of the moat fire volleys of arrows and bolts wildly fly over head.

--

Usbu finally gains footing inside Breadbowl and savagely attacks Sanctume and Tekkud. Sanctume jumps away while Tekkud stands her ground.

Maceman Mac on the far side of the moat was struck by a draltha bone bolt in the left hand, and loses hold of the silver flail.  Marksdwarf Zefon calmly loads another draltha bone bolt.

Kubuk stands up, “Death is all around us.  I am not upset by this.”
Angus stands up, “Death is all around us.  This is truly horrifying.”

Sanctume steps in on Usbu bashing the head and fracturing the skull.
Usbu attacks but Sanctume jumps away tumbling backwards.
Sanctume stand up and blocks an overhand axe strike from Usbu.
A silver bolt flies towards Sanctume who rolls away, and stands up only to jump away again from relenting axe swings from Usbu.

Zefon begins the mantra that death is truly horrifying, shoots at Usbu but was blocked.

Angus Ceilingslapped, Axe Lord has left the martial trance, or just finished her soliloquy in the middle of the gaping moat edge?

Sanctume blocks another axe swing from Usbu.

Osnun in the moat misses Sanctume with her silver arrows.

Sanctume bashes Usbu in the lower body bruising guts, and rolled away from the counter axe swing.

Tekkud also jumps away from Usbu’s axe swings. 

Taupe accepts the facts that the troops are driven by glory rather than tactics.  The moat ramp lets the goblins trickle in.  As long as no one swims…, “Armokdamnit,” he cursed silently and reprimand himself for thinking THAT.

Taupe tries to brighten up, “Good!  Now keep backing away from the moat, a fighting retreat like we practiced,” then reddens in frustration, “Armokdamnit, I spoke too soon!”

The moat edge is clear for now until Ngoso emerges brandishing her iron battle axe.
Ngoso is a larger and wider she-goblin, a War Leader of the Goblin Regular, 1st Infantry.
Ngoso shake about splashing foul water laced with blood and bile.  She growls and snorts and makes a show of her war cry, “Ahrew! Ahreww! Ahrewww!”

Tekkud presses her attack backing Usbu at the moat edge.

Bub, Scout Squad, Goblin Recruit waits in the water since the bridge first disappeared.
Bub stabs upwards aiming at Tekkud’s gut but misses.
Tekkud stabs down her bronze spear on Bub and fracturing the right collar bone.
Usbu’s axe misses Tekkud despite Bub’s distraction.

Sanctume bashes Usbu in the left lower arm, fracturing bone. Usbu loses hold of his copper shield and iron battle axe, and falls over.
Tekkud follows up with a stab in the left upper leg, fracturing through bone.

Howling like a banshee, Ngoso swings wildly with her iron battle axe, missing both attacks on Sanctume and Tekkud.
Grunting in frustration, Ngoso charges and knocks over Sanctume.

Ngoso pushes further into Breadbowl seeking to challenge the War Leader, Commander Taupe.
Taupe steps in and left hooks Ngoso in the right ear which explodes into gore, “Bitch please."

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:42:32 am by Sanctume »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 07, 2015, 01:27:12 am »

I wonder what it does to living creatures? :D

TO THE PUPPY TESTING CHAMBERS!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 07, 2015, 01:33:24 am »

Oh yes, another excellent siege update! Keep them coming, good sir. Kubuk is starting to rack up a lot of kills, so far.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 07, 2015, 08:29:24 am »

Meanwhile, at the Guild of Clothiers and Leatherworkers...

"Sir! Sir!"

"Aye lad, I hear ya fine, don't need to shout. What's it about this time..."

"The prints just came in! The ones that we'll be using in the next CLG issue, remember?"

"...Right, the next issue. Of course I remember. Erm, do you?"

"Sir?"

"I JUST ASKED YOU A QUESTION LAD!"

"Y-y-yes sir! Umm, it's the one where we went around looking at what people were wearing? I believe it's called the 'Whaaaat are you wearing?' issue."

"Aha. Good boy. You passed. Now, let's see, the prints eh? About time they came; we'll be ready to publish as soon as the printers run hot. By Armok, do I have to bleedin' ask to get things done round here nowadays? Let's take a look at them then, boy!"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Not bad, not bad. Heh, some of these are taken on our roof if I ain't mistaken! Can recognize that damn tiling from miles away. Say, why do we have some doubles of the commander over here?"

"Eheh... well apparently the photographer wasn't really satisfied with his shots, so they had him change into something more suitable. And took off the cap. And styled his hair. It's something like a before-and-after-shot; readers love to see these sort of transformations, sir."

"Fair enough. Anyway, I see they've also completed the duke's portrait. Still looks grumpy as ever though."

"Say, kid. What's this for then? I don't remember asking for a shot of the tombs."

"Oh, that's a personal commission by SQman sir. He said he wanted it for... private reasons. I'm gonna to drop it off with him later on."

"The look on that gorlak's face is disturbing, kid."

"I know, sir."

"Whooey."

"Yeah, that's a bonus shot from the photographer sir. Just took it from over the wall this morning. I was thinking we could use it for next month's issue or something. 'The Goblin Menace Strikes Back', sir?"

"Whooey."

"I agree sir, its a very imposing image."

"Whooey. Their fashion sense is atrocious. Pink on green, really? I know they've come to invade, but at least they could've done it in style. And those troll loincloths are so last season...

Argh, my eyes. Alright kid, good job. Now scurry over and send these over to the printers, will ya? Tell them to move their beards, I want this issue out by tomorrow. And tell them to fit in the goblin picture somewhere, that's what you call 'current interest'. Now scoot. Take with you an orange biscuit if you want."

"Can I have the kumquat one sir?"

"No. Git your thieving hands off my kumquat bowl."

That turned out taking way more effort than I was expecting. Especially since weapons don't show unless the dwarf is in the military, and not at all for nobles (That's why Gwolfski isn't holding a weapon; can't remove the duke). But hell, it was worth it. This is totally why they created Stonesense - for fictional fashion editorials. Feel free to use any of the portrait pictures.

~ Bonus shot!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 10:45:24 am by Bearskie »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 07, 2015, 09:19:04 am »

Internal thoughts of Angus Ceilingslapped during the siege of 240:

Such glorious war! I will be an Emperor among dwarves! -Arrows whiz by and enemies charge. Angus does nothing but soliloquize amidst visions that just aren't there- “I was near to a Paved Road (wet with blood). It pleases me.”  -An axgoblin attacks her, all she can do is dodge in shock.- How dare you interrupt my visions!

-She is probably suffering a brain tumor that makes her an idiot with delusions of grandeur, but she's doing a wonderful job of distracting lame goblins all day-
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 105